Do we really need Basil?

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Re: Do we really need Basil?

Post by ColonicAcid » #114713

Bottom post of the previous page:

He assumed something, and like majority of assumptions, it was not even close to the truth.
Look at feedback, tell me all the "remove x" and what players made them and see what server they go to.
Hint: it's not basil.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114754

Assumptions? I was there arguing with them on a daily basis you fuck knuckle.

I'm talking policy not code

The biggest culprits for policy being as weak as it is are hbl and pandarsenic, both from server2.
In fact the majority of admins we got at the time were from and admined almost solely on server2.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #114776

Yes the Yinadele admins were all from #2. Nobody is arguing that.

The yinadele era was also 3 years ago, and back then it was the "rough and tumble" way of playing ss13 that you mentioned you wanted, so I don't really understand your point here?
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114803

No it wasn't, it was the end of that era.

People like me fought tooth and nail to slow down the encroachment of the server 2 admins but where we're at today was inevitable because at the end of the day its the admins that write and interpret and enforce the rules, and it was those admins that were selecting and training other admins to be like them, they were the ones with the actual power to change things to their way and the ability to select and make other people think their way too, my side on the other hand was a dying breed with no power other than the ability to grumble loudly.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #114821

Malkevin wrote:
BUT! What if we actually DID make Server 2 a completely separate server for a different play style?
Now hear me but you think I'm crazy.

I'm not talking about giving server 2 to the Basilers, because to be frank: there are half a dozen ss13 servers out there catering to their playstyle (hell, Sigurd was empty last I checked - they could go squat there), and if I'm to be honest they are the cancer that has turned tg into a hugb0x (not that the current Sybil playerbase isn't largely a cancer itself - somehow its managed to become an even bigger Idiocracy than it was two years ago), and its pretty daft running an entire server for their small playerbase.

But what if Server 2 became the TG Classic server, for those us that are man enough to deal with the low rules, low admin interference, rough and tumble playstyle of old.
The low rules rounds have apparently gone down a treat when ran on sybil, a large number of people actually enjoying them, and sybil will still exist for those bedwetters that still require admins to hold their hands when they're being fucktards.
Admins are normally on server 2 though, I don't understand. Server 2 is the TG classic server, that's where everyone hangs out at.
To be honest I rarely even log into server 1 anymore because hardly anyone is online. I could see the point in removing a server that only 10-15 people play on. I just think that if server 1 gets removed I'd just stop playing, I don't think I could get used to playing 20 minute long rounds again.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #114822

Can we clarify what is server 1 and what is server 2?

Are we going with the current (and imo wrong) of server 1 being Basil/Basiglasdasd and server 2 being Sybil or the older version of it being inverted.

E: I'm sure its S1 Basil S2 Sybil but still.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #114823

Steelpoint wrote:Can we clarify what is server 1 and what is server 2?

Are we going with the current (and imo wrong) of server 1 being Basil/Basiglasdasd and server 2 being Sybil or the older version of it being inverted.

E: I'm sure its S1 Basil S2 Sybil but still.
I'm just going off what the main page says
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114839

Ignore the main page, it's a lie
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #114881

Wasn't bagil moved to the left to try to goad people to joining it instead?

Or am I talking out my ass
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #115167

that was mso's le epic troll
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #115174

As apart of many attempts to boost Basil's population the server numbers, and the server positions, were swapped so Basil was Server 1 and Sybil was Server 2.

I don't know but do we even have the population to support two servers that are well populated each? It seems we only ever get one server that breaches more than that twenty person limit (sybil) while the other server (basil) always remains sub twenty people at best.

I mean fucking Oranges is paying just 10$ shy of the 60$ needed to fund Basil, if the Patron funders don't care or are fine with paying to support Basil then so be it, its not like Basil's somehow detracting from /tg/station overall or Sybil's population. Sure you can (try and) make a case of the actual people that play on Basil may not be the best but the actual server is not really impeding anything aside from people's wallets, of which they are paying willingly.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #115954

it's oranges
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #116038

Has anyone else noticed Basil's population has diminished slowly since ERP was allowed?
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #116040

QuartzCrystal wrote:Has anyone else noticed Basil's population has diminished slowly since ERP was allowed?
I dunno if causality is a part of these linked points, but yeah, a bit.

there are 5 on right now. compared to 66/65 on sybil, just as a sampling.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #116131

That's because the ERPers don't have to only do it when there are no admins on, so they go to chaosstation13
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #116259

QuartzCrystal wrote:Has anyone else noticed Basil's population has diminished slowly since ERP was allowed?
my secret master plan has been revealed
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #116282

We should open up bagil to coderbus to use as a dev server possibly for testing features or gememodes before pushing live.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #116292

Can we please re ban ERP for the love of god.

Get them back on fucking Basil.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #116371

palpatine213 wrote:We should open up bagil to coderbus to use as a dev server possibly for testing features or gememodes before pushing live.
It is, in theory. Just wait until both MSO and a maintainer are online and there isn't a real round on basil and talk really fast at them.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Demonbane
Byond Username: Adminbane

Post by Demonbane » #116752

fuck u
Demonbane
Byond Username: Adminbane

Post by Demonbane » #116753

and fuck u francium for posting this old ass thread in ooc
francinum
Byond Username: Francinum
Github Username: francinum

Post by francinum » #116817

Demonbane wrote:and fuck u francium for posting this old ass thread in ooc
I didn't post this, someone else did.
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #117272

Map rotation on Sybil, low-pop map on Basil. Problem solved.
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #117276

Im okay with how things are run currently, however, if Sybil were to run with a larger, more largepop supporting map, I could see this being a good thing.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #121254

Destroy Basil.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #121267

Remove Basil, Sybil Strong
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #121281

Basil currently has 0 players online, Sybil has 51.

I logged onto Basil earlier, there was a single player online (who was also antag) with myself and one other admin observing. It is a cancer.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #121287

Just blacklist a bunch of stuff in sandbox, and set bagil to that.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #121289

Our population has plummeted as of late, i guess because school is back in or something. But really, why are all you sybil players so anal devastated about the existence of a server no one is forcing you to play on?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #121433

I'd play on Basil more (and view it as a viable alternative to Sybil) if the population was in that sweet spot of like, more then 20 but less than 60 people. As long as it's "the overflow server", it's gonna stay that way. Especially with the population caps being what they are.

I think at this rate, the "Basil is for metafriends" schtick is too ingrained in the community's culture to get rid of it. Scrap the Basil/Sybil names and give them something new entirely. Don't even announce it, just do it one day and enjoy the ensuing meltdown.

Or we can keep circlejerking over metagangs.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #121434

Basil hasn't been called basil since the NT days, most just still call it that because it is the most well known name
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #121471

Atlanta-Ned wrote: Scrap the Basil/Sybil names and give them something new entirely. Don't even announce it, just do it one day and enjoy the ensuing meltdown.
Wouldn't work.
The button positions were swapped, and people still went to Sybil.
The name "Sybil" may as well just be a title, Sybil is highpop+box, the highpop tends to move to box, so whichever server that is, will become Sybil in spirit.
私は完璧
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #121476

I was never in support of basil being shut down but I think with sybil population not being an issue and basil being empty all the time it's time we accept sybil as our only station.
I play Boris Pepper.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #121509

mercy killing
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #121539

lumipharon wrote: There is a big fucking difference between getting to knowing people (which is what anyone with atleast the mental capacity of a toaster will achieve), and actually metafriending. ie: Knowing Dick McTickler always starts fights, so when someone accuses him of assault, you're more inclined to believe them. As opposed to: hearing that Dick McTicker and someone are in a fight, so you run over and beat the other person to death without any context.
Indeed to use an example from another server over on d20 we have lone lee being really touchy around silicons so the ai knows to be careful around him it's not a perfect example because the crew on a larger server would stop the ai killers shit but the basic idea of saying somebody should not use what they know about somebody's personality being stupid remains the same.

And in my experience almost all use of prior knowledge of a character is people having negative opinions of somebody for instance I spend far less time getting zoey Webb to cooperate in interrogation then anybody else and she ends up in perma far more rapidly for it.

Some might say that that just goes from metafriending to metagrudging but there's a difrence between searching a clown known for shaving people bald if you see broken mirrors or missing shavers and just instantly arresting them without evidence or giving them a 10 minuite sentence for shaving people when you would give anybody else 2.

Anybody except for a clown, mime, Borg or ai using a static name is stupid anyway but if your going to have it on a server you have to accept there will be effects on the game.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #121540

Wyzack wrote:You forgot the most likely scenario, where the round generates a single changeling, tatorling or traitor, they go loud and get killed 10 minutes in and then we get another pseudo extended. We really need more admin presence on server 2
And of course if those killed don't get revived there out of the round for 3+ hours it's the only situation where people auctualy have a reason to complain about low pop murderboner.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #121759

Despite being a long-term basil player, I really think it's become superfluous now. Nobody is interested in it, so why keep it?Also now boxaholics cant just foist the cool maps off on the server where nobody sees them.

Also: The irony of ERP unbanning killing basil.
PickleInspector
Byond Username: PickleInspector

Post by PickleInspector » #121850

Took all the thrill out, don't you know.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #121916

Problem is if we ditch basil we loss the superior map. map rotation could work but we all know byond has a tendency to wipe its cache and make users redox load the game how much data would the actual map file add it could really fuck over rural Australians who can't spare the bandwidth.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #121918

It might help to make messages to centcom/the syndicate and prayers to go through to ooc like ahelps do
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121924

tuypo1 wrote:Problem is if we ditch basil we loss the superior map. map rotation could work but we all know byond has a tendency to wipe its cache and make users redox load the game how much data would the actual map file add it could really fuck over rural Australians who can't spare the bandwidth.
map preference is entirely objective by nature, don't use it as subjective evidence
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #121928

Fucking over rural Australians is already targeting a very specific niche of a already small population.

Not to mention, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, barely 2.6% of people live in remote or very remote areas. This goes to around 11% if you include outer regional areas (ABS, 2004).

-----
References

Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2004). How many people live in Australia's remote areas?. (No.1301.0). Canberra, ACT: Author.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #121935

Steelpoint wrote:Fucking over rural Australians is already targeting a very specific niche of a already small population.

Not to mention, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, barely 2.6% of people live in remote or very remote areas. This goes to around 11% if you include outer regional areas (ABS, 2004).

-----
References

Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2004). How many people live in Australia's remote areas?. (No.1301.0). Canberra, ACT: Author.
I suppose your right there
PKPenguin321 wrote:[quote="tuypo1]
map preference is entirely objective by nature, don't use it as subjective evidence
[/quote]
I would say it's pretty relevant I can't be the only one who prefers the map of bagel but the pop of Sybil
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #121960

tuypo1 wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Fucking over rural Australians is already targeting a very specific niche of a already small population.

-----
References

I suppose your right there
PKPenguin321 wrote:[quote="tuypo1]
I would say it's pretty relevant I can't be the only one who prefers the map of bagel but the pop of Sybil[/quote][/quote][/quote]

MSO has been working on map rotation for weeks.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #121989

oh it will be interesting to see how that turns out then

im surprised to here its something that would take more then 2 minuites but you know byond
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #122159

tuypo1 wrote:oh it will be interesting to see how that turns out then

im surprised to here its something that would take more then 2 minuites but you know byond
You can't code this in BYOND apparently, he's hooking it to an external program between rounds
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #122183

Remove Basil 2015.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #122240

<TheGhostOfWhibyl1> [-tg-station] MrStonedOne opened pull request #12089: HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I'VE DONE IT! Map rotation! (master...maprotation) https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12089
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #122248

MSO #1
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #122321

Remove Basil 2015
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #122325

I am so tired of fighting against all the anti basil rhetoric. Go ahead and fucking kill it then. I hope that it improves your sybil experience somehow you assholes.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster