Space Law

(Mainly the wiki)

Should Space Law be removed from the wiki?

Yes
13%
No
80%
Abstain
7%

Total votes: 56

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Space Law

Post by PKPenguin321 » #159188

Bottom post of the previous page:

nervously shuffles up to you
slips this into your hands
don't tell hg, ok?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #159227

HG. Honestly. What is the point of you rushing to do these crap load of things before your headmin term ends? The no AI thing, no Silicon Policy thing, removing Space law. Are you only doing it since you are hoping to get re-elected or something? And holy fuck are you doing to leave a bunch of hate and badly-done stuff at the next headmins feet.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #159228

He is reelected
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #159232

Fuuuuuck
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #159237

Space Law was put back by someone a while ago but I'm betting it'll be gone, and the person banned, by the end of the day.

E: Scratch that, someone just made a new page called "Space law" instead of "Space Law". Nothing's changed.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #159244

Can people quit edit warring with the headmins please? I get you don't like it but edit warring doesn't help.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #159274

Space Law was fairly dumb tbh and i'm glad it's gone.
I play Boris Pepper.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #159285

oranges wrote:Can people quit edit warring with the headmins please? I get you don't like it but edit warring doesn't help.
HG is not a headmin according to the admins-page, he's just a wiki admin and a game master, which is why I took action in the first place.

Plus Lollerderby, the headmin supposedly behind this decision has told us zero arguments why Space Law -page should be removed. The page is an influential page, is referenced a lot, and should be at least talked about in the forums or modified before just outright removing it.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #159299

Bluespace wrote:Space Law was fairly dumb tbh and i'm glad it's gone.
Explain your opinions.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #159304

Lumbermancer wrote:
Explain your opinions.
Bluespace is entitled to his onions

Even if they are odd onions.

Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #159326

Lumbermancer wrote:
Explain your opinions.
1)It was barely actually followed unless robust regular security players were on.
2)It was overly harsh on stuff. If someone steals yella glubs to hack a machine, just take the gloves, don't brig them for 5 minutes.
3)Security policy is basically "stay to timers under 10 minutes and don't be a cunt", space law just complicated that.
4)Space law was always a guideline, and often resulted in arguments with officers.
I play Boris Pepper.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #159341

Brig sentences should be harsh. The entire point is to discourage people from committing crimes in the first place. Trying to force lenient security just leads to more situations necessitating OOC intervention.
Last edited by captain sawrge on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #159354

Bluespace wrote: 2)It was overly harsh on stuff. If someone steals yella glubs to hack a machine, just take the gloves, don't brig them for 5 minutes.
If you don't want to be "harsh" and end up perma'n the poor sweet criminal you probably don't want to take any items with utility.

The tantrums thrown over yellow gloves, fire axes and barkeep shoties my god.
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #159356

just remove the lawyer at this point
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #159453

Incomptinence wrote:
Bluespace wrote: 2)It was overly harsh on stuff. If someone steals yella glubs to hack a machine, just take the gloves, don't brig them for 5 minutes.
If you don't want to be "harsh" and end up perma'n the poor sweet criminal you probably don't want to take any items with utility.

The tantrums thrown over yellow gloves, fire axes and barkeep shoties my god.
The worst part is that those people SHOULDN'T have them in the first place. I make a habit of confiscating and trying to at-least mail them or store them back where they belong when i see greyshirts towing them in the halls like trophies. Gloves are so-so unless you know they greyshirts are going to hack things of importance or have a record of B&A, and axes and shotties are just.

No.
(especially with this new sharpening block meta)

Any other kind of makeshift weapon probably issues confiscation or a search for being a over-prepared cuck without good reason.

Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #159457

What's more inane about this is that only Hornygranny has made or done anything on this issue, neither Jordie nor Loller (which HG Claims Loller ""supports"" this change) have made no comments on this matter at all, and I'm inclined to belive Loller's support consisted of a "meh sure" at this point.

Honestly at this moment the headminship consist of one man only I believe.

HG has failed to give any good argument for the removal of Space Law, the only argument he provided held no water when put under a microscope, this fucks over the Lawyer, this makes new sec players have little direction, this screws over down-stream servers who DON'T want to remove Space Law and its removal is something no other server has done before.
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #159526

Steelpoint wrote:What's more inane about this is that only Hornygranny has made or done anything on this issue, neither Jordie nor Loller (which HG Claims Loller ""supports"" this change) have made no comments on this matter at all, and I'm inclined to belive Loller's support consisted of a "meh sure" at this point.

Honestly at this moment the headminship consist of one man only I believe.

HG has failed to give any good argument for the removal of Space Law, the only argument he provided held no water when put under a microscope, this fucks over the Lawyer, this makes new sec players have little direction, this screws over down-stream servers who DON'T want to remove Space Law and its removal is something no other server has done before.

It doesn't matter however because TECHNICALLY he has infinite oversight.

As people are keen to point out, tg isnt' a democracy. This whole discussion is moot unless you have some way to change the way we do things here. One headmin can do whatever they want as long as the other headmins do not object. Currently 36 people (thats what it says) object to this situation, and only 6 think its okay (and thats only a poll).

Unless you suck up to a headmin, and somehow get another headmins to work up the courage to cause drama between the other headmin (which causes issues like we saw with Intigracy vs HBL) then it won't work in our current system. And even if it does work then it might cause issues like it did with HBL and Intigracy.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #159722

I've said I don't support the change elsewhere, Lollerderby does support it and HG won't budge on it. There's very limited amount that can be said about this which hasn't been already.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #159776

In that case I shall vote for Malkevin.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #159828

Poll is still 36-6 against removal...
Jordie0608 wrote:There's very limited amount that can be said about this which hasn't been already.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #161608

Vote for a headmin that'll undo this.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #161609

Lumbermancer wrote:In that case I shall vote for Malkevin.
Im sorry to other candidates but i follow lumbermancers verdict. Space law is too rooted in to just ignore.

If malk can secure it rock solid, he has my vote, the trump ideal seal of approval.
ShadowDimentio wrote:Vote for a headmin that'll undo this.

Spoiler:
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #163381

Our long, national nightmare has come to an end.

Now it's time to get down to the real meat of the issues, like some much needed style changes.
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #163403

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Our long, national nightmare has come to an end.

Now it's time to get down to the real meat of the issues, like some much needed style changes.
Well, to make good style changes, we need to have a consensus on what's wrong with it, and what should be different, what the eventual goal of the article is. What are your thoughts on that?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #163416

Cheimon wrote:
Atlanta-Ned wrote:Our long, national nightmare has come to an end.

Well, to make good style changes, we need to have a consensus on what's wrong with it, and what should be different, what the eventual goal of the article is. What are your thoughts on that?
It looks like we're talking about it here and here.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #163421

I thought it looked fine, then again I'm naturally heavily biased because I was the one that spent hours being anal getting it to look presentable.
Puglord
Byond Username: Puglord64

Post by Puglord » #163622

RIP Lawyer
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #163624

Space Law is back so yeah.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #163653

I like space law as it is now, a guideline that's not a server ruleset. I think we could even improve the disclaimer at the top. Maybe big bold all caps that says "SPACE LAW IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR COMMON SENSE". It's a difficult problem I know.

You don't want shitsec so you have to have rules, but you don't want to discourage players from playing sec. Too many rounds where security is just a detective and warden blow. I tend to lean toward security's side a lot of the time. There are some really shitty officers who need OOC intervention, but most of the time it seems like the players are shittier.

One problem I see with this just being guidelines is the procedure for capital crimes. Space Law still says "Only the captain can authorize executions" If these are only guidelines, then what's the point in keeping any part of space law that says something is mandatory? Maybe we need to draft up a new Space Law that is written from the perspective that these are guidelines and not rules.

EDIT: I guess in this case it would all be an IC issue, which I think is much better than bringing admins in. If the captain wants to enforce the capital crime authorization chain of command that's his discretion. He could tell the HOS at the start of the round that All executions have to go through him, etc. That would also leave some choice to the captain. When I'm captain I'd be just fine with the HOS being in charge of executions and leave me out of it unless it's something that affects the whole station, like revs. But a single syndicate traitor who shot up the clown I wouldn't really care how the HOS handles it as long as he does.
--Crocodillo

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #163661

Thats a bit of a relic from the SoS days where the HoS couldn't execute crims, like at all.

I think it should be changed to something along the lines of "Only the Captain can authorise executions under normal conditions, however the HoS is granted emergency powers in dire conditions."
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #163781

Malkevin wrote:Thats a bit of a relic from the SoS days where the HoS couldn't execute crims, like at all.

I think it should be changed to something along the lines of "Only the Captain can authorise executions under normal conditions, however the HoS is granted emergency powers in dire conditions."
EVERY ROUND IS A EMERGENCY DUES VULT SPACE LAW.

But in all seriousness, when people complain about getting perma'd while being non-antag, its always worthwhile to throw the book in the cell to enlighten them that items and crimes have value.

Spoiler:
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #164011

Neener neener. I'm still not happy with the formatting though, but I think that's a universal wiki CSS issue. It just doesn't look quite right.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #164067

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Malkevin wrote:But in all seriousness, when people complain about getting perma'd while being non-antag, its always worthwhile to throw the book in the cell to enlighten them that items and crimes have value.

I like to employ a three strike rule. If someone does moderate grey tiding 3 times, I perma them. And invariable have to take their headset as they scream and cry. Act like an antag get treated like an antag. I'm not talking about breaking a window into the bar or slipping a couple people. I mean the assholes that steal a fireaxe and break every brig window to expose the electrified grilles to the crew.

Another Policy I'm going to enforce when I play sec or warden: If you kill bait sec you get permad on the first offense. This shit has been happening like every other round for a week or so. A couple metafriends as non antags will steal a cloned or suicided body and run circles around the station smashing the body with extinguishers. They often space the body so you can't tell it was suicide. Then when an officer comes to arrest them they use self defense as an excuse to attack the officer and steal all his stuff. It's infuriating because it happens every other round and it's the same 4 or 5 assholes that do it.
--Crocodillo

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #164167

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Neener neener. I'm still not happy with the formatting though, but I think that's a universal wiki CSS issue. It just doesn't look quite right.
Probably because you removed the line breaks for no reason and fragmented several paragraphs.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #164168

Yes, the manual <br> tags work but it's usually a sign of something else wrong in my experience. Ah well, we can circle back around to it at a later date.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #164222

Yes, it's an indication that wiki is terrible for technical writing because it ignores single carriage returns