ExperiSci Feedback Thread

How, what and why to code in BYOND.

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

bobbahbrown

Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

ExperiSci Feedback Thread

Postby bobbahbrown » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:09 pm #581168

Hello,

We will very soon begin testmerging the experisci science changes. Please use this thread to provide general feedback regarding the new changes.

Any bugs should be reported on the PR itself.

Best wishes,
bobbah "bee" brown

bobbahbrown

Re: ExperiSci Feedback Thread

Postby bobbahbrown » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:19 am #581199

feedback thusfar from the first testmerge:

- slime experiments should be rebalanced (im doing this now)
- we should be careful about what nodes we are assigning blocking (non-discount) experiments to as some technologies that are essential in the meta might not get researched into very late in the round
- it may be advantageous to look into having more discount experiments over required experiments, or having the discount vs required-ness of an experiment determined at server start based on population

terranaut
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Terranaut

Postby terranaut » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:29 pm #581243

i had this thought earlier and forgot about it and now i remembered
i dont actually play of course but i hope you kept a legit reason for scientists to make bombs to avoid the meta tell of "he makin bombs he bad"
all the best,
bobbah "monki" brown

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

bobbahbrown

Postby bobbahbrown » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:32 pm #581254

(from github)

Changes from today:
- I've removed a few of the blocking experiments, made some thematic changes to the matching of experiments to web items, and moved some blocking experiments to discounts instead.
- I've updated the RD console UI to better make use of space on the detail view, now it will show prerequisite technologies when you look at the details of a node immediately, and changing tabs will show those unlocked by that node.
- Rebalanced slime scanning experiments, they will now accept any slime core of a 'tier', and require fewer of them for earlier nodes. This should greatly decrease the issues from last night.
- Added detail stages to framework to show more information regarding an individual stage on an experiment

re: what terranaut said, yes there are experiments for toxins

Going to testmerge again tonight and see how these changes play out.

bobbahbrown

Postby bobbahbrown » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:48 am #581321

(from GitHub)

Today's updates:
- We've added the destructive scanner which can be used to perform normal scanning experiments as well as the (new) destructive experiments. Currently the experiments for cytology are destructive in nature. Thanks @MrDoomBringer for the wonderful sprites
- We've fixed the bugs with material experiments and being unable to scan some mineral walls, floors, and the operation table.
- We've added helpful tooltips to experiments which can be seen by mousing over the question mark in the top-right corner of experiments, these help to explain how to perform the experiment.
- People will 768p monitors will no longer suffer from being unable to resize the RD window and the default sizes are scaled down to fit those peoples' monitors
- We've added a flag for experiment handlers to be 'always active', meaning they will attempt to do every experiment when possible. The doppler array has been given this flag, so from roundstart should be automatically configured to record explosions.

I understand the bugs with material experiments were rather frustrating, so I'm hoping to get that fix on the testmerge ASAP.

seasons greetings,
bobbah "bee" brown

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Wineallwine

Postby WineAllWine » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:40 am #581395

I've only played a little of this on bagil (ew, bagil). But I really enjoyed it. It makes science feel more like a whole department working towards a common goal, rather than a bunch of random features. Also gives reasons to make things that you wouldn't normally (who would vat-grow a cockroach?)

Overall very excited to see this on Terry

remanseptim

Byond Username: Remanseptim

Postby remanseptim » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:10 am #581396

t*rry player thinking he can talk shit about any other server but event hall and maybe manuel

also experisci is great, it's peak comfy.
i for one enjoy busywork in jobs as long as it isn't tedious, that's why genetics can be fun.
my only issue aside from the occasional expected bug where scans do not work is having to replace floortiles, since they ends up making your department look dumb when you replace white ones with grey.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:16 pm #581420

terranaut wrote:i had this thought earlier and forgot about it and now i remembered
i dont actually play of course but i hope you kept a legit reason for scientists to make bombs to avoid the meta tell of "he makin bombs he bad"
all the best,
bobbah "monki" brown

The other valid use for bombs is compressing anomaly cores, which hopefully will be added to more high end items as people find the time

Kassori

Byond Username: Kassori

Postby Kassori » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:16 am #581549

Thats kind of a flimsy use for toxins, your first few cores of any type can be detonated with hot plasma and cold 02, that's what science normally does with the gases left over after the maxcap currently.

Though its not a massive loss, since toxins has no real variation, its just kind of a speedrunning mini-game.

Return to Coding