13%
Option 2: Chemistry Top, Genetics Bottom
87%

Total votes: 82

Pennwick

Re: MEDBAY LAYOUT CHANGE: VOTE OR DIE EDITION

Post by Pennwick » #76026

Bottom post of the previous page:

Vekter wrote:Goof just added some new explosive stuff that's pretty fucking robust.
If its so robust that its causing severe damage more than a few tiles away with standard sized beakers BY ACCIDENT then maybe there are some balance issues that should be looked at before implementing them. Chemistry is already almost as lethal as toxins, a department 100% dedicated to putting holes in the station.

Really I think the biggest plus that the current chemistry layout has is anyone walking into medbay has an eye on the chemists. Both the options on the poll give the chemists much greater privacy. If they're getting a buff in lethality they NEED those eyes on them. If science wants to do chemistry to test bombs build a chem dispenser, implement chem-master boards and or just give chemistry Sci access and *gasp* make them walk through the hallways to get to science.
Saltycut
Byond Username: Saltycut

Post by Saltycut » #76050

Chemistry needs to be easy accesible to people who will often ask for some chemicals like botanists, janitors etc., therfore I vote option 2. I don't like how its shaped though, that little empty area between sec checkpoint and chemistry desk looks kind of odd.
Femstation 5ever
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #76073

I'd rather Lumi's proposals to the map be added, rather than any of the offered two map changes, if change absolutely had to occur.

I say this because boxstation is the result of years of tweaking and it's matured into a map that just works. It's intuitive, things are convenient, and the general layout is pleasing enough on the eye. Lumi's changes preserve that feeling while addressing the issues that caused this proposed layout change.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Fayrik
Byond Username: Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #76075

I agree with imblyings. Could we get a poll option for Lumi's layout?
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #76082

Since that would reset the poll (same justification for not adding a 'I don't like either' option), it seems unlikely.

At this point with the clear consesnsus we have so far can we at least see if Goofball's prepared to edit his option 2 to make it more palatable to the players?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #76133

Can we get a yield on these chemistry mishaps what would bore through rwalls on the other side of the hall?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #76137

A x2 large beaker black powder nade is 1,4,7 (unless it rounds to the closest full number, then it would be 2,4,7).
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #76170

This is refering to not-yet merged changes, not black powder and the like. no idea what goof has in store, but hey apparently, hes holding back on the medbay changes and just making this something for science/toxins to fuck with some how.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #76298

Can you fit a mirror into genetics somewhere, regardless of which change goes through? We might as well get something good out of these awful redesigns.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #76324

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/8401
>Chemistry Lab for Science

So since moving chemistry is so unpopular instead the new clever plan is to just duplicate chemistry into science.
Welcome to goonstation, enjoy your stay.
MattNasty

Post by MattNasty » #76333

I vote option 2!
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #76347

This isn't goonstation goofball jesus
But seriously, moving chemistry into science as well makes no sense and is a bad idea. Think about how what you change will effect other parts of the game please. If you want chemists to be able to test grenades then connect it to the testing lab somehow, but chemist and scientist are two separate jobs and should remain as such. also this really isnt goonstation fuck

e: Elaboration on my view: Goofball, what you're trying to put into science legitimately looks like something I'd think to find on an admin z-level. Even if you toned it down a bit to one chem dispenser it would still be a god awful idea. I, and I'm sure everyone, understands that you are incredibly enthusiastic about goonchem and pyrotechnics but what you are doing is literally changing the map so that a job which isn't even related to chemistry has chemistry access so that they can test out your new toys. Please keep your chem/sci bias away from github while you're making changes if you can't make actual good changes.

PS. I had an idea for a medbay redesign. Switch current genetics with current chemistry, switch xenobio with the misc testing lab and then connect chem to the testing lab with a tunnel or something. With this design and a little bit of effort I'm fairly sure chemistry could end up connected to the testing lab while remaining in medical, you just have to fit a table to the hall in somewhere.
Last edited by AdenAbrafo on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #76440

Connecting chem to the testing lab with a tunnel is as simple as giving chemists the relevant accesses so they can go through maintenance.

Putting chemistry dispensers in science where they're literally about as hidden as you can get without being in maintenance is just asking for villainy. How is anyone going to keep track of what they're making if it's away from anyone's obvious view? I can't see this being a good idea.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #76484

Cheimon wrote:Connecting chem to the testing lab with a tunnel is as simple as giving chemists the relevant accesses so they can go through maintenance.

Putting chemistry dispensers in science where they're literally about as hidden as you can get without being in maintenance is just asking for villainy. How is anyone going to keep track of what they're making if it's away from anyone's obvious view? I can't see this being a good idea.
Thats kind of the point. It reinforces the idea that science is supposed to make chemicals for themselves, not replace medbays chemistry. As to its security, its vulnerability is kind of a good thing since it gives traitors a greater chance to exploit chemicals and poisons. Also, is department security not a thing anymore? If your that concerned with it, patrol it from time to time.
Pennwick

Post by Pennwick » #76546

Its getting harder and harder for me not to just post sarcasm and flames.

I'm just not seeing a reason for all these changes. A chemist who wants to test a death mix grenade can go to the HoP for science access. A scientist who wants to test chemicals can build a chem dispenser with a little RnD work. If we really want to make chemistry medsci couldn't we just give chemists standard sci access and let them use their legs and the hallways? God forbid the squishy chemist has to walk out in the dark grey halls with the peasantry. They absolutely NEED a safety tunnel straight to the testing lab so they can avoid gazing upon the assistant filth.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #76591

Latest proposed change, be sure to leave helpful and constructive criticism on how goddamn awful it would be to pull monkeys across that full length of space wasted in xenobiology.

All because goofchem.

tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #76592

Hey man, I just posted that to say 'there's space to fit xenobio if you move it'. Also I posted something mildly less retarded after that, but I'm sure someone that knows what they're doing could design something nicer with the space.
I'm no mapper.

Last edited by lumipharon on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #76614

Not a fan of that xenobiology layout, 3 cells facing 3 cells allows you to see what the slimes are up to much more easily. Plus 3v3 means you don't have to drag things as far, which is good because xenobiology is almost entirely about that.

Why can't you just give chemists science and testing lab access? They don't even need dispensers there.

EDIT: my comments apply to the one just before Lumi's.
Last edited by Cheimon on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allohsnackbar

Post by Allohsnackbar » #76621

My EYES ARE BLEEDING
WHAT am I looking at here?
I'll tell you: Denial, and goofball acting like paprika and trying to punish us for shooting down his chemistry to sci goon idea.
Also, thanks lumi, for unfucking it a bit.
Constructive criticism:
This is not an appropriate or needed change. Your screwing over xenobiology to add something to Science that we already have elsewhere.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #76747

Like I said, I would rather nothing change at all, but I would prefer a layout change as opposed to duplicating chem into sci.
OliveOil
Byond Username: VirginiaXl

Post by OliveOil » #76933

Why would you remove a chemist's ability to do something other than synthflesh patches and charcoal pills for 1h?
If scientists want a chem dispenser they can simply make it, it doesn't take long.
Last edited by MisterPerson on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: I don't really get why you think it's ok to make inflammatory comments like that
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #76950

OliveOil wrote:Why would you remove a chemist's ability to do something other than synthflesh patches and charcoal pills for 1h?
If scientists want a chem dispenser they can simply make it, it doesn't take long.
There's more net fun from a scientist spending 30 minutes mixing chemicals than 10 minutes doing R&D, 5 minutes building the machine, ad 15 minutes mixing chemicals. Per round. So with just 6 rounds that's 1.5 hours of additional fun. Of course it's not really a fair comparison because someone else might do R&D instead, but that's not the point.

That's also under the assumption that sciency chemical mixing is going to be a) interesting in and of itself and b) more interesting than R&D and construction. The former isn't guaranteed by any stretch and the latter is not a safe assumption for the construction, but I highly doubt you'd find anyone defending R&D. It's all up to player preference at the end of the day but I think most people would find doing something more interesting than preparing to do it.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #76954

Yeah fuck having to do your job before going and playing with the fun boomy booms.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #76987

-Because my post got deleted by a certain someone-
Leave Chemistry as it is or If you absolutely have to change it leave chemistry on top. Are you really going to force science or anyone else in the matter to go into medbay and then bug the chemist. They can be made but it's too much of a inconvenience when you could just walk up to the desk, ask for something and that's it.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Fleckers

Post by Fleckers » #83088

Sorry to bump this older thread, but when will we see these changes?

Also to not beak the rules I enjoy option two because of the public access, and i also feel the monkey pen is the perfect size, because those bastards can escape easily in these big pens. Makes it easier as it just kinda feeds them out to you
OOC: Jwakefield: So you tell me theres cloning
OOC: Jwakefield: And I cant make an army composed of myself?
OOC: Jwakefield: This game is shit see you i'm leaving forever
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #83262

I don't believe Goof plans on this anymore.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.