If changeling MMI test is a exploit, what is the solution?

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

If changeling MMI test is a exploit, what is the solution?

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #652274

viewtopic.php?p=621266#p621266 ruled that taking a changeling's inert, vestigial brain and placing it in an MMI to see if it had life in it to check if they were a changeling was an exploit.
Exploits implies some sort of flaw or bug in the implementation of the changeling's nature, but this is all working as intended from a coder POV.
What are we supposed to do?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: If changeling MMI test is a exploit, what is the solution?

Post by Pandarsenic » #652275

Make them work with MMIs again you cowards
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #652279

Give Lings an alert box when their brain is put in an MMI that lets then talk through it
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #652282

Doesn't this just extend the problem to putting the MMI in a borg?

At some point its multi mob control that truly hides this, but thats a road with its own coding and balance problems too.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #652283

Pandarsenic wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:39 am Make them work with MMIs again you cowards
But then we wouldn't have headless lings and the LORE would be shattered
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #652284

changelings don't need a test.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #652289

iain0 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:11 am Doesn't this just extend the problem to putting the MMI in a borg?

At some point its multi mob control that truly hides this, but thats a road with its own coding and balance problems too.
Pretty much, which honestly, puts me in the admin issue camp.

I am having a hard time thinking of any workaround that would work, besides something intrusive like making it so ssd brains will not fit into MMI's, and having lings brains be in that category. Even that would have problems when the actual ling isn't ssd.

Or having the ling actually have its brain.
Hugs
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #652294

Admin log event when a ling brain is put in an MMI, if it doesn't already exist?

Think this is the only practical ask and administration remains the enforcement.

Hmm. Make MMI'ing the brain full-heal the ling and teleport them to a random station turf. It's dumb as hell but kinda undermines the identification if it also guarantees escape (?) There's probably better ideas but could the act of MMI-ing the brain be suitably disincentivised by such a penalty?
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #652297

Exploit implies a code problem, yet it does not seem to have a code solution. It would make sense to enforce players not preforming temporary exploits, because they can be fixed. But the changeling MMI lasts forever in a limbo.
Its also a reasonable thing to do from a players perspective, and perhaps even from a in-character perspective. But because it's an antag test, and we can't have antag tests, it isn't allowed.

The only solutions I have so far seen outlined are:

Make the changeling's brain non-vestigial, nerfing them and breaking some lore
Stop considering it an exploit, also nerfing changelings and adding an antag test.
Have it do some wacky thing that is beneficial to the changeling, not removing it as an antag test but also maybe not have it be a ling nerf in the process
Insane multi-mob control shenanigans.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #652301

Putting an empty changeling brain into an MMI should grab a ghost and give it an objective (plus zero law in a borg) to obey and protect “the rest of its body”.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #652302

The MMI test is the equivalent to the burning blood test in The Thing, and should be allowed.

Getting anyone to agree to having their brain removed is a difficult enough barrier to overcome to make it an acceptable method of detection.
► Show Spoiler
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #652337

Farquaar wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:20 pm The MMI test is the equivalent to the burning blood test in The Thing, and should be allowed.
If we wanted a test like this, it should codified as an actual mechanic, and not a byproduct of janky code ("The brain violently rejects the MMI" or something, instead of the default message)
We don't want changeling tests in the codebase, so *shrug
Farquaar wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:20 pm Getting anyone to agree to having their brain removed is a difficult enough barrier to overcome to make it an acceptable method of detection.
Dead people don't often consent to a brain test, and that's usually when it's done (to confirm, before you cremate them)
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #652343

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:12 pm Putting an empty changeling brain into an MMI should grab a ghost and give it an objective (plus zero law in a borg) to obey and protect “the rest of its body”.
This would be cool and would also make changeling roboticist a thing to fear.

AI should check for a sudden flux of borgs and blood leading into robotics maint. Along with a bunch of empty roboticist heads on the floor
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #652351

It'd be even cooler if the changeling could use the power from the borg to incubate and allow the changeling to regenerate itself from it's brain. All of a sudden, a borg drops off the AI's list, and the thing returns.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #652381

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:12 pm Putting an empty changeling brain into an MMI should grab a ghost and give it an objective (plus zero law in a borg) to obey and protect “the rest of its body”.
sounds fun to me, still gameable if no ghost rolls up though.

Probably better to just let the changeling go into the borg and then regenerate it's body at some point, blasting the borg body to bits
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #652382

oh shit san had the same idea as me
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #652407

san7890 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:40 pm It'd be even cooler if the changeling could use the power from the borg to incubate and allow the changeling to regenerate itself from it's brain. All of a sudden, a borg drops off the AI's list, and the thing returns.
no one would borg lings
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #652457

This could be gameable from the changeling's perspective as a roboticist changeling could set up a guillotine for themselves and create an army of borgs. Same goes for making the brain the equivalent of a phylactery, as lings could hide their brain anywhere they'd want.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #652460

mrmelbert wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:57 pm
Farquaar wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:20 pm Getting anyone to agree to having their brain removed is a difficult enough barrier to overcome to make it an acceptable method of detection.
Dead people don't often consent to a brain test, and that's usually when it's done (to confirm, before you cremate them)
If you are killed and/or arrested under very reasonable suspicion of being a changeling, then the aforementioned difficult barrier has been overcome.
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #652494

Kendrickorium wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:55 am
san7890 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:40 pm It'd be even cooler if the changeling could use the power from the borg to incubate and allow the changeling to regenerate itself from it's brain. All of a sudden, a borg drops off the AI's list, and the thing returns.
no one would borg lings
But how would you know it's a ling?
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #652768

This might be one of those situations where it just has to stay like it is and we have to rely on people adminhelping when it happens.

I like san and oranges' ideas though. Those sound like fun.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #652861

This is the best idea I have ever heard.

Really reminds me of The Thing' where each part of the body acts independently.
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #660556

Why don't we make it so if you take a blood sample from a ling and if you heat the container the blood reacts if the ling has taken x amount of abilities? I haven't looked at ling shit in a while but don't lings take more burn damage the more abilities they take? I feel like this would allow some plausible deniability for the ling to squirm out of being caught initially if they wait on taking abilities so their blood doesn't react
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #660570

The reason not to take all of your abilities immediately as Changeling is to provide flexibility if you get into a surprise situation, but there isn't any other strong incentive preventing you from doing this and most new players would just pick all of their abilities instantly.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #660707

Drag wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:38 pm Why don't we make it so if you take a blood sample from a ling and if you heat the container the blood reacts if the ling has taken x amount of abilities? I haven't looked at ling shit in a while but don't lings take more burn damage the more abilities they take? I feel like this would allow some plausible deniability for the ling to squirm out of being caught initially if they wait on taking abilities so their blood doesn't react
no.
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #660752

Fikou wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:47 pm
Drag wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:38 pm Why don't we make it so if you take a blood sample from a ling and if you heat the container the blood reacts if the ling has taken x amount of abilities? I haven't looked at ling shit in a while but don't lings take more burn damage the more abilities they take? I feel like this would allow some plausible deniability for the ling to squirm out of being caught initially if they wait on taking abilities so their blood doesn't react
no.
Then what, funny coder man.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #660763

A proven way of checking changeling status goes against the entire point of changelings
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #660837

NoxVS wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:09 am A proven way of checking changeling status goes against the entire point of changelings
I've heard this for over a decade, and I'm not sure I believe it.
Unintentional ways to check changeling status is bad. A lot of games with changelings feature blood tests. Usually the changeling has an opportunity to destroy the blood tester, or compromise results in order to make someone else look guilty and avoid blame. As long as there is counterplay and opportunities for deception, a changeling test is fine.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #660863

Drag wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:10 am
Fikou wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:47 pm
no.
Then what, funny coder man.
idk sans and jacquerels ideas sound cool
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #660893

This seems like the best and easiest to code solution. Unfortunately the exploit will still exist if no one wants to take the ghost role
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #660907

BeeSting12 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:20 pm
This seems like the best and easiest to code solution. Unfortunately the exploit will still exist if no one wants to take the ghost role
changelings would be blowing their own heads off to get free allies
Weston Echard on Sybil
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #660908

blackdav123 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:46 pm
BeeSting12 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:20 pm
changelings would be blowing their own heads off to get free allies
They'd still need to make a cyborg, it's just like a posibrain cyborg except you don't need to emag it and do need to behead yourself.
That said I'm not personally planning on coding this any time soon i have too many other ideas.
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #670660

iain0 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:10 pm Hmm. Make MMI'ing the brain full-heal the ling and teleport them to a random station turf. It's dumb as hell but kinda undermines the identification if it also guarantees escape (?) There's probably better ideas but could the act of MMI-ing the brain be suitably disincentivised by such a penalty?
SEC doesn't need more reasons to not bother borging dead people. Already bad enough the universally superior option is "toss the corpse into evidence, tell robotics to print an MMI".

mrmelbert wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:59 am Give Lings an alert box when their brain is put in an MMI
Alert: Want to be a brain?

Yes -> Stuff the ling's mind into the brain. Can't regenerate. Tough shit. Nobody else can tell you were a ling.
No -> Same result as now. Hope reviving stasis kicks in before they gib your body.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #670856

Zybwivcz wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:21 am
iain0 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:10 pm Hmm. Make MMI'ing the brain full-heal the ling and teleport them to a random station turf. It's dumb as hell but kinda undermines the identification if it also guarantees escape (?) There's probably better ideas but could the act of MMI-ing the brain be suitably disincentivised by such a penalty?
SEC doesn't need more reasons to not bother borging dead people. Already bad enough the universally superior option is "toss the corpse into evidence, tell robotics to print an MMI".
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
LeekiLoku
Byond Username: Lokuthewise

Post by LeekiLoku » #670934

If we are being honest, most lings go loud especially since the ling chat is back. So just dont allow lings brains to be put into MMI's. A text could be generated such as "The brain seems to grow tentacles making it not be able to go into the interface" or something in those lines. Now since this post was on MRP im not to sure how that is because i'm a avid sybil player. On sybil lings go loud, i assume on MRP they dont go loud and stay stealth.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #671128

LeekiLoku wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:41 pm If we are being honest, most lings go loud especially since the ling chat is back. So just dont allow lings brains to be put into MMI's. A text could be generated such as "The brain seems to grow tentacles making it not be able to go into the interface" or something in those lines. Now since this post was on MRP im not to sure how that is because i'm a avid sybil player. On sybil lings go loud, i assume on MRP they dont go loud and stay stealth.
Saying it should have an explicit, hard tell that is sanctified in the code as "perform this action to definitively 100% get told that the person is a ling" is certainly... an opinion.
It's considered an exploit because people shouldn't be shoving brains into MMIs to see if they're lings, because it's not intended behaviour that ling brains in MMIs have a tell.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #671241

also we're not designing around changelings always going loud because we would ideally be incentivizing people to stay stealthy through other means
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
enginseer-42
Byond Username: Enginseer-42

Post by enginseer-42 » #687128

Don't Jellypeople already do multiple mob control? You just swap between bodies using a menu.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #687179

enginseer-42 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:16 pm Don't Jellypeople already do multiple mob control? You just swap between bodies using a menu.
And it's a complete nightmare that breaks so much. The only reason it's not an issue is because of how rare it is.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
enginseer-42
Byond Username: Enginseer-42

Post by enginseer-42 » #687194

NoxVS wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:07 pm
enginseer-42 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:16 pm Don't Jellypeople already do multiple mob control? You just swap between bodies using a menu.
And it's a complete nightmare that breaks so much. The only reason it's not an issue is because of how rare it is.
Huh, interesting. Makes sense why it's such a pain to actually do if it breaks stuff.