[BOUNTY] The Quirkening

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Jezzared
Byond Username: Jezzared

[BOUNTY] The Quirkening

Post by Jezzared » #712828

I've always been a big fan of the quirks system. Small things that can change how you play or inform others of your character in a mechanical way. I want to change some of the quirks that we have and introduce some new ones, but I lack the coding expertise and the time/energy to learn. This is a bounty that can be fulfilled by multiple people, and the payment will vary depending on what you take on and how demanding it is. Some of this feels to me (a novice at best) like it wouldn't be difficult to implement. Some of it is oversight fixes and QoL. Some of it would be considered balance. We can work out a cost that works for both of us if you're willing to work on any part of this long list of things I'd like to change and/or add. If you take on a task, I'll strikethrough it here and we can DM about it either here or in discord. I am willing to do writing work for these if you don't want to (flavor texts).

Here is the list of changes and additions I'd like to see.

-----

BALANCE:
Smoker, Alcoholism, and Junkie can choose their Vice using a character pref. This means preferred smokes, drinks, and drugs. You can finally have a favorite cigarette brand between rounds. Expands favorite cigarette to include cigars and syndiesmokes. By default it is old behavior (random, excluding syndiesmokes and cigars).

Extreme Medicine Allergy and Food Allergy dogtags can now be worn around the neck or in the glove slot in addition to being attached as an accessory to any jumpsuit. They visually show up around the neck or around the wrist (if adjusted in-hand to become 'allergy bracelet' before attaching to suit or wearing in glove slot).

Prosthetic organs can be chosen in prefs. By default it is old behavior (random). Finally, the canon has been aligned.

Hemiplegics can now choose which half of their body is numb in prefs. By default it is now random.

Spiritual spacemen no longer start with candles, but instead their pref religion's bible. (This bible cannot convert other bibles, and cannot be used to bless water, except by the chaplain, as per usual).

Any quirk users that have genes that do the same thing (such as near-sightedness) have those genes activated but unable to be disabled, for parity with brain traumas.

Junkie rebalance - Junkies metabolize drugs of their chosen type slower, meaning they last a bit longer.

Gamer rebalance - Split into Hardcore (negative) and Casual (positive). Hardcore gamers have the addiction and suffer mood penalties for losing. Also only eat junkfood. Casual gamers simply get a winning mood boost and can eat junkfood if their species typically hates it. Both get gaming XP at an increased rate.

Signer rebalance - Instead of behaving like a whisper, signing with one hand instead omits certain whole words. The signer doesn't know what words get dropped anymore. (This is a muh realism change as someone who knows ASL. Since signs are typically 1-to-1 with words, you wouldn't miss parts of a sign, you'd miss the whole thing.)

Foreigner rebalance - It's a negative quirk, slightly less quirk points than being deaf. Why was this ever not a negative quirk? Now maybe we will see more of it.

Extrovert rebalance - Extroverts now gain the mood bonus for having three or more people they can see within three tiles of them, instead of just being in the bar.

Introvert rebalance - Introverts now gain the mood bonus for having no people they can see within three tiles of them, instead of just being in the library.

NEGATIVE QUIRKS:
Bum Leg - One leg is nonfunctional and you start with a cane. Balance: People with a nonfunctional or missing leg can move at normal running speed by holding a cane or other long implement in a hand (iron rod, chaplain staff-based null rods, one-handed spears, other long items i am probably forgetting). Otherwise are forced to walk. Medical now has canes by where they store headphones, blindfolds, and wheelchairs.

Big Boned - You are fat. No amount of salads can ever fix this.

Corporate Enemy - You have a "loyalty implant" in your skull that can be detonated by a remote that spawns in a secure locker in security. Best find a way to get it removed if you plan on working against the company. "Loyalty Implant Defusal" surgery all-but-requires wirecutters, as scalpels have a fail chance, and failing any step of the surgery detonates the implant. (Implant does not delete brain, only gibs head).

Germaphobe - You get a mood malus if you are covered in blood, get sneezed or coughed on, touch a corpse or five-second-rule item, or pick up something recently touched by someone else without wearing gloves. You get a ten-pack of 'sanitation wipes' that are one-use rags (and can be grinded for 10u each of space cleaner or 5u after use), and cleaning items before you pick them up removes this malus. More sanitation wipes can be ordered as a goodie from cargo, and are placed near areas where syringes spawn (and in bathrooms, about 25% of the time).

Bipolar - Your mood swings rapidly. You constantly have a mood event that can range from manic to depressive (a random point between worse than depressed to slightly less than jolly).

Anti-Acrobat - You have a natural talent for tripping over things. Climbing over objects like tables and railings knocks you over.

POSITIVE QUIRKS:
Corpo - Your get a minor mood boost by seeing NT Paraphernalia. Syndicate propaganda impacts your mood twice as hard. You also get a small paycheck bonus for your brown-nosing.

Strapped - You start with a three-shot "Nanotrasen self-defense implement" on your belt that shoots weaker lasers and recharges slowly, as well as a weapon permit. You can spin any gun.

Vaccinated - You have a small innate virus resistance, comparable to wearing latex gloves.

Skilled - You've picked up a skillchip during your space travels. You start the round with a skillchip chosen via prefs (any of the non-job/problematic ones).

Iron Gut - You cannot throw up, whether by food poisoning or actual poisoning.

NEUTRAL QUIRKS:
Troubled Past - You have double the weight to be an antagonist objective.

Hoarder - You get a minor mood boost by holding maintenance items and garbage in your storage. You get a mood malus from dropping or throwing these kinds of items. You never know when it might be useful...

Bank Paranoid - You don't have a bank account. Your paychecks arrive in the mail instead. You get a special, sleek black wallet that doesn't hold IDs.

Technophobe - You have 1% chance to speak over the wrong radio channel or send a PDA to the wrong person, and a 1% chance to press the wrong button when using a machine.

Silverhand Syndrome - You have an Imaginary Friend. Ghosts will be polled every ten minutes to be your imaginary friend, and it will show up on the ghostroles menu.

Paroled Convict - You start with a permanent tracking implant, prisoner's jumpsuit, and an orange ID. Pref for having a tattoo or not. You are barred from command and security roles.

-----

I am also open to adding things to this list if people have fun ideas and I think they're worth paying for implementation. This may also need to be a project that is staggered over time as to not bankrupt me. In any case, thank you all for your time, and the work you coders do to make this game interesting and lively!
Last edited by Jezzared on Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: [BOUNTY] The Quirkening

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #712836

Jezzared wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:53 pmBig Boned - You are fat. No amount of salads can ever fix this.
Just curious, but are you asking this quirk choice to be immune to the lipoplasty surgery? As in it just remains grayed-out if a doctor tries to perform it, or something?
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #712841

Foreigner rebalance - It's a negative quirk, slightly less quirk points than being deaf. Why was this ever not a negative quirk? Now maybe we will see more of it.
Foreigner is Neutral because it's an opt-in roleplaying quirk / experience
Prosopagnosia bugfix - Hovering people no longer reveals their true identity in the mouseover text. It should act 1-to-1 like everyone is wearing a mask to you. (It's been a while since i ran this quirk. Is this still the case?)
This is a bugfix, you don't have to pay someone for it, just open a github issue.
Corporate Enemy - You have a "loyalty implant" in your skull that can be detonated by a remote that spawns in a secure locker in security. Best find a way to get it removed if you plan on working against the company. "Loyalty Implant Defusal" surgery all-but-requires wirecutters, as scalpels have a fail chance, and failing any step of the surgery detonates the implant. (Implant does not delete brain, only gibs head).
Do-nothing quirk if there is no security.
Strapped - You start with a three-shot "Nanotrasen self-defense implement" on your belt that shoots weaker lasers and recharges slowly, as well as a weapon permit. You can spin any gun.
We will never allow "spawn with a gun" quirks
Skilled - You've picked up a skillchip during your space travels. You start the round with a skillchip chosen via prefs (any of the non-job/problematic ones).
Our skillchip design makes this useless, because skillchips are either useless or job skillchips.
Silverhand Syndrome - You have an Imaginary Friend. Ghosts will be polled every ten minutes to be your imaginary friend, and it will show up on the ghostroles menu.
Funny idea but I'd be concerned that so many people pick this that observers just get barraged every 10 minutes.
Bum Leg - One leg is nonfunctional and you start with a cane. Balance: People with a nonfunctional or missing leg can move at normal running speed by holding a cane or other long implement in a hand (iron rod, chaplain staff-based null rods, one-handed spears, other long items i am probably forgetting). Otherwise are forced to walk. Medical now has canes by where they store headphones, blindfolds, and wheelchairs.
Funny idea but maybe treads on one of the other "nonfunctional limb" quirks we already have.
The cane balance part is actually already on my TODO list, though.
Anti-Acrobat - You have a natural talent for tripping over things. Climbing over objects like tables and railings knocks you over.
Fairly... benign? Because you are stunned when you climb over tables and railings anyways.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Jezzared

Post by Jezzared » #712849

mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm Foreigner is Neutral because it's an opt-in roleplaying quirk / experience
I mean, all quirks are opt-in, no? It being neutral wouldn't prevent things like Hardcore Random from getting it, would it? We might as well give them the point benefits of a quirk that is bad for them.
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm This is a bugfix, you don't have to pay someone for it, just open a github issue.
Fair enough. Will remove, though I'm pretty sure there's a report out there already.
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm Do-nothing quirk if there is no security.
Still an option for antagonists to break into an undefended brig and just detonate you for free. Having a remote somewhere on the station that just kills you seems like a bad deal regardless of how you shake it.
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm We will never allow "spawn with a gun" quirks
Worth a shot. I figured if it can't even kill a guy it might be alright but I assumed this would be the response.
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm Our skillchip design makes this useless, because skillchips are either useless or job skillchips.
Having a "useless" skillchip every round could still be fun, i think. Maintainers have historically not wanted strong positive quirks and so I don't see an "underpowered" quirk as a bad thing nessecarily.
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm Funny idea but I'd be concerned that so many people pick this that observers just get barraged every 10 minutes.
I'm not sure how to prevent that and still notify ghosts that it'[s an option. Open to suggestions.
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm Funny idea but maybe treads on one of the other "nonfunctional limb" quirks we already have.
You have a long TODO list, Melbert.
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm Fairly... benign? Because you are stunned when you climb over tables and railings anyways.
It was something I thought of like, last night. I think there's something here but i think you're right that in this form it doesn't do much.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:11 pm Just curious, but are you asking this quirk choice to be immune to the lipoplasty surgery? As in it just remains grayed-out if a doctor tries to perform it, or something?
They'd have to be, yeah.

-----

EDIT to avoid Doubleposting.

Thoughts on the following:

Gun Nut - You start with a weapon permit. You can spin any gun.
(Still probably not cool but i'd like to salvenge what i can.)

Anti-Acrobat - Climbing over tables and rails knocks you down, and you knock things off of tables you climb or stand on. (We could give this knocking stuff down effect to clowns as well)
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #712894

Jezzared wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:39 pm
mrmelbert wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm Funny idea but I'd be concerned that so many people pick this that observers just get barraged every 10 minutes.
I'm not sure how to prevent that and still notify ghosts that it'[s an option. Open to suggestions.
Just have it be in the spawner menu
feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #712948

Why can‘t Foreigner be taken with Bilingual, and why are you limited to two languages max?
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #712953

Foreigner has always felt really dumb of an idea to take as a human because up until bilingual got made a quirk you could CHOOSE the language of there was no guarantee any other humans would speak it. It really should be a negative for how much it bottlenecks your interactions with the station
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #713551

Funny idea but maybe treads on one of the other "nonfunctional limb" quirks we already have.
would it be possible to add forearm brace type crutches as well for roleplay purposes
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #713566

Foreigner is neutral because we don't want people taking it as part of quirk arithmetic due to how disruptive it is to normal gameplay.

It's a quirk we want people to take when they want to try a different way to approach SS13.

So it's neutral even though it has negative effects. It's not part of quirk balance as a result.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Jezzared

Post by Jezzared » #713573

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:36 pm Foreigner is neutral because we don't want people taking it as part of quirk arithmetic due to how disruptive it is to normal gameplay.

It's a quirk we want people to take when they want to try a different way to approach SS13.

So it's neutral even though it has negative effects. It's not part of quirk balance as a result.
I can remove that change but I'm still confused on what exactly the difference is between Foreigner and Deaf. What makes Deaf okay and Foreigner not?
feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #713696

Jezzared wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:55 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:36 pm Foreigner is neutral because we don't want people taking it as part of quirk arithmetic due to how disruptive it is to normal gameplay.

I can remove that change but I'm still confused on what exactly the difference is between Foreigner and Deaf. What makes Deaf okay and Foreigner not?
Deaf means you can‘t hear me unzipping my esword around a corner 3 tiles away
Jezzared

Post by Jezzared » #716399

I have had someone claim the pref-related quirk bounties. I just responded to it very late because somehow I never saw the message in my inbox.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #718023

replace the "gun nut" one with "Legally American". Forces your undershirt to the US flag one.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕