[BOUNTY] please god fire alarms please

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

[BOUNTY] please god fire alarms please

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #714456

Fixing fire alarm issues sucks.

Not so much because they're difficult to remedy (patching the holes and setting a heater on usually fixes minor issues... usually)
The problem is that is impossible to tell what's going on when things arent so simple. Is the fire alarm still on for a legitimate reason or is it broken again? Why is the fire alarm still going, on green air alarm, with a bunch of heaters in the room?

Trying to solve these problems feels like going mad so im posting a bounty.

$30 for the following:

- Fire alarms to have some diagnostic interaction, whether ID-accessed or on examine
- This interaction to pass as much of the following information as possible:
- Is the alarm repeating the signal from another alarm?
- if so, which alarm and where? and why is that alarm triggered?
- is the sensor too hot or too cold?
- was it a manual trigger?

I had a quick peek and it seems like at least some of this info is already being passed around to firelocks by the game, so this seems at least plausibly not too hard, and might make existing in firelock hell a little less agonising.
Let me know if I'm badly lowballing this one its late.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: [BOUNTY] please god fire alarms please

Post by zxaber » #715734

A few things to keep in mind:
- Fire alarms do not detect gas anymore. They're more like Fire Alarm Control Panels, but I wasn't allowed to change the name. Their only purpose is to allow manually activating and resetting the firelocks.
- Firelocks detect gas, and trigger adjacent locks when they trigger.
- Firelocks triggered by an adjacent lock will trigger their own adjacent locks. This chain reaction is what allows a row to close together.
- Hot and Cold are already indicated by the firelock lights; Orange means fire, Blue means freezing, and White means manually activated by someone pulling a fire alarm.

As an aside; what would probably really help is if the red emergency lighting was only applied to areas with an actual issue. Firelocks will apply red lighting to the area they're in, and the area of adjacent tiles (if different). The reason for this lies in the history of the PR that changed everything, but it doesn't matter. Firelocks can detect (and activate upon) issues up to a tile away, and so really should only be applying red lights to the affected area. That would go very far in helping pinpoint the reason for activation.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"