[CLOSED BOUNTY] Medical Cyborg Surgery Tool Wheel

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
ophaq
Byond Username: Ophaq

[CLOSED BOUNTY] Medical Cyborg Surgery Tool Wheel

Post by ophaq » #725576

This isn't an April Fools bounty by the way if you somehow thought that.

As it currently stands, the medical cyborg's magical bag of gadgets takes up a lot of your screen space. This makes it in my opinion, hard to see and a nuisance to constantly close compared to other models. My standard set up for playing medical cyborg on the hotbar is 1=med analyzer, 2=usually a secondary surgery tool or injector, and 3=another surgery tool. The flow of gameplay during surgery ends up being surgery tool, hit 3 and drop it, surgery tool, repeat or for efficiency using X to swap between the two surgery tools I need on 2 and 3. This gets tedious especially after so many hours of playing medical cyborg. I know some people may disagree, but I think it would help a lot of help to speed up this flow of gameplay during surgery and declutter.

By turning the medical cyborg's toolset into something like an omni-surgery tool which functions like the surgery arm implant's radial wheel, this would greatly declutter by like 7 WHOLE SLOTS and make things easier on medical cyborg players. Adding a secondary one as an optional upgrade for medical cyborgs to help with efficiency for those players who like having an extra tool on their hotbar and swapping back and forth would also improve efficiency and make less swapping by hitting Z needed.

Now I'm not entirely sure what this would involve on the coding end but as a placeholder if you didn't want to do a sprite, maybe use the surgery arm tool sprite as a place holder instead of a custom omni-tool like sprite. Throwing the surgery arm tool code in and whatever it uses for the wheel function would also be needed and removing the old tools too I reckon. Plus editing the file for research that has medical cyborg upgrades and adding in the new upgrade to be printable. As a bonus this could also probably implemented on the engineering model with regular tools instead of surgery but that's a completely new discussion for engineering cyborg players.

EDIT:
PR is up, bounty is closed. After final touch ups and the like, should be ready. PR link for those who are interested can be found here:

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/82425

A bunch of thanks to Humanoid (Singul0) for doing a majority of the leg work for the proof of concept while I just tested and wrote some words.
Last edited by ophaq on Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Re: [BOUNTY] Medical Cyborg Surgery Tool Wheel

Post by mrmelbert » #725617

I remember suggesting someone do this a few months ago but they never finished it.

I would recommend anyone who tackles this (if I don't tackle this myself) to give them two, or maybe even three surgery omnitools, so you can have two active surgical tools to swap between.
Like how a human would have a scalpel in one hand and a hemostat in the other for tending wounds.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

humanoid
Byond Username: Humanlike

Post by humanoid » #725653

sounds like a neat feature, how much is the bounty anyways?

EDIT: I have started working on this, do you have a discord contact? I have some questions to ask
ophaq

Post by ophaq » #725655

humanoid wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:43 am sounds like a neat feature, how much is the bounty anyways?

EDIT: I have started working on this, do you have a discord contact? I have some questions to ask
I DM'd you. Check your TG forum messages.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #725656

i was also vaguely interested in this (actually I have most of a working prototype) but I'll leave it to someone who actually wants to get paid
let me know if you get stuck
ophaq

Post by ophaq » #725768

PR is up, bounty is closed. After final touch ups and the like, should be ready. PR link for those who are interested can be found here:

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/82425