[BOUNTY] Typing Indicator for Command Bar

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Lilah
Byond Username: LilahNovi

[BOUNTY] Typing Indicator for Command Bar

Post by Lilah » #726634

I brought this up in the discord #coding-general and sort of got "this is not possible" to "it's expensive and dumb", but I decided to stick it in here anyway because, well, why not.

I am a command-box typer. Started that way, and will be that way forever. I gave the pop-up box the good old college try.
So, yes, "Learn to open the say box" <---- let's skip this because I wouldn't be asking if I didn't have my reasons.

Anyway, people often think I'm ignoring them or not typing at all which is a pain in the butt. I can live with it, but it would be a nice QoL for the command bar chat kids (We exist! We out here!!)

I commented about this last year on Aurora station and they managed to fix the issue for me. I got dat speech bubble using command bar. I have Say " activated at all times, and it didn't give me a bubble until I started typing what I wanted to say. I know Aurora changed over to TGUI some time ago, and the bubble addition was after this switch.
Aurora used the SStyping from Nebula. I have no idea what this is. Here is the PR on the subject. Not sure if it's similar, possible, or applicable, but perhaps better to have some frame of reference... https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora ... 6169/files

If it doesn't work for /tg/, that's fine, but I'd like to know why in a clear way (Is it hard on the server or cause lag? Is it too buggy? Does something just not fundamentally exist to make it work? I am not interested in making gameplay experience worse for something so small.)

If someone thinks its possible and it doesn't cause issues, then I would like to offer $75 for the code, and $25 on top if the PR is successful. If for whatever reason it is more difficult than expected, we can talk about the bounty amount. I don't want people working for too little.

Thank you!! :heart:
:heart: Image :heart:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: [BOUNTY] Typing Indicator for Command Bar

Post by iamgoofball » #726639

this is doable, we just need the verb bar to be tgui'd first
Waltermeldron
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: WalterMeldron

Post by Waltermeldron » #726763

like goof said, viable

There isn't really any performance implications.
There is a problem if tgui breaks, which is why there needs to be a way to fallback to the built in command bar without having to go through tgui, because then it defeats the purpose of the fallback.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #727184

holy fuck please do this, ever since fancy chat my control scheme has been turbo fucked and has never recovered
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #727495

i dont play anymore but this would be awesome if someone did it, i always preferred using the command bar to chat too. so much in fact that sometimes after long stints of playing ss13 i will type Sa [tab] before a new line in a paper or email or whatever because im so used to doing that to talk.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #727729

there's no viable way to achieve this in a way that will satisfy the requirement to have perfect fallback.