How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

XHUIS' SUMMER THAW EVENT (ended)

Post by Xhuis » #93119

WELCOME, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, TO THE THAW

After a hard winter of frozen features and frigid controversy, the sun peeks out again at last! In celebration of the warm weather, I have decided to host an event known as Xhuis' Summer Thaw. Details and related information may be found below.

What is the Summer Thaw?
The Summer Thaw is a one-week event I will be hosting from June 4 to June 10. Every day, I will be coding and adding a single user-selected minor feature to this pull request. This may seem similar, and it's because Cheridan did an event when Spring started in a very similar vein, which inspired this one. I promise to have all features ready to go by the beginning of July.

How can I request a feature?
Simply post below requesting a small feature to be added. At the end of each day, I will enter the usernames of all people who requested a feature and run them through a randomizer. The name that comes up will have their feature promptly coded and added to this pull request. A person may only request a single feature - if you post two or post multiple times, I will just pick the one I feel like doing.

Are there any rules for features?
Yes. The feature must be minor and feasible to create within a day. People with experience in code know these limits. Basically, some minor tweaks, a new item or two, that kind of thing. I won't be able to make a whole new antagonist or gamemode. They also can't be game-breaking or unbalanced - you can't have an infinite ammo pulse rifle.

How many features can I submit?
One per day. Otherwise, there are an infinite amount you can do. If this gets out of hand I will scrap it.

The summer thaw has officially ended! Thanks to everyone who participated.
Pull Request: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9789
Last edited by Xhuis on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: XHUIS' SUMMER THAW EVENT

Post by lumipharon » #93125

A holster/knife sheath/scabbard/etc usable as a suit/exosuit accessory like bay (I think?) has.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #93128

"Control Magic" spell, for wizards.

Control Magic is a skill from Elona which allows the user to cast line and AoE spells without harming nearby allies. Applied to SS13, taking this spell would allow a wizard to cast offensive spells at no risk to other wizards or apprentices.

For example, the Lighting Bolt spell would neither target nor chain to another wizard. Fireballs would pass through another wizard and continue to the target (the explosion will still damage a wizard, if one is caught in the blast). Magic Missile would not target a friendly wizard. Spells cast from a wand should also have the same effect.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #93160

TechnoAlchemist's cloaks
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #93165

A drone dispenser that can freely spit out drones from round start to round end, without reliance on roboticists who forget or just don't care.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #93166

Add the cloaking device back to syndicate uplinks.
Mime: Depresso
Celdur
Byond Username: Celdurr

Post by Celdur » #93170

A traitor device that "scrambles" cameras in a fairly large radius. (large enough so that the AI can't instantly tell where the center of that zone is.

Alternatively and somewhat related; make it so the ling AI invisibility ability actually makes them 100% invisible to the AI(and perhaps all silicons).
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #93172

Scones wrote:TechnoAlchemist's cloaks
<3

I'd appreciate if someone would add throwing knives that could hold reagents to the uplink.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93173

Mouse grinder in virology. You insert a dead mouse from maintenance, grind it, and it dispenses a virus culture bottle with a random symptom or two.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #93178

Chokeholding a human and being able to put them into a bag of holding. Come on, It can totally fit a body in there

ALTERNATIVELY

Putting monkeys in backpacks.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #93196

Man_Shroom wrote:Chokeholding a human and being able to put them into a bag of holding. Come on, It can totally fit a body in there

ALTERNATIVELY

Seconded i've wanted this for years. That or the ability to fold bluespace bodybags with bodies in them and put them in a boh
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93205

Bombadil wrote:
Man_Shroom wrote:Chokeholding a human and being able to put them into a bag of holding. Come on, It can totally fit a body in there

ALTERNATIVELY

Seconded i've wanted this for years. That or the ability to fold bluespace bodybags with bodies in them and put them in a boh
Actually yeah, forget my idea, make this my entry too.
Spoiler:
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #93226

A new constructable: Spike walls. Bumping into them damages you and knocks you down for a disarm push duration unless you are wearing some kind of hardsuit or something like that.

Construction: Wall girder + metal rods, then apply welder. To deconstruct, attack the spikes until they fall off, then wrench and wirecut the remaining parts. Obviously, meleeing the spike wall has a chance to hurt you if you don't have a hardsuit.

Just an alternative to electrified grilles basically.
Last edited by Tokiko2 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
M0nsoon
Byond Username: ShadowHunterOO

Post by M0nsoon » #93228

A guitar case that comes with a robuster version of the guitar.

But that's not all! The guitar case is one of those cool ones from "Desperado" which is also doubles up as a gun!

Here's a video example

[youtube]qBmwUTjAYes[/youtube]
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #93233

A small grenade-style device that, when activated and thrown onto an empty floor tile, will emit a shield similar to those of the Anti-Breach Shielding Projectors. It can be configured for either single-tile or 3-wide lines, both vertical and horizontal, and the device can be grabbed through the shields, which causes them to disappear.
This should be feasible, right? I mean, we already have grenades and things that can make shields, it shouldn't be too hard to mash them together, then add the config and make it so picking them up disables them automatically, right?
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #93276

Whenever the player is doing something (a.k.a. waiting for stuff to be built, breaking cuffs etc.), his sprite could do the float-animation but vertically.
As in a minor slow shake. It would be a great indicator to the user and everybody else that you're "busy" at the moment.

I just found a way to do it for the blender & food processor when they're processing, it looks awesome, but I have no idea how to make it apply to the user whenever there's a do_after.
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #93280

Add the atmos-air-injectors to the RPD (The things that release the gas in the pipes to the air, like outside the turbine). Always a hassle to have to build an APC and Air Alarm to get that gas flowing.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #93288

kosmos wrote:Whenever the player is doing something (a.k.a. waiting for stuff to be built, breaking cuffs etc.), his sprite could do the float-animation but vertically.
As in a minor slow shake. It would be a great indicator to the user and everybody else that you're "busy" at the moment.

I just found a way to do it for the blender & food processor when they're processing, it looks awesome, but I have no idea how to make it apply to the user whenever there's a do_after.
if you want it happening every do_after... you put it in do_after, rofl.
Also I assume you mean Horizontally, since the float animation is already Vertical (V is up/down and H is side/side)
私は完璧
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #93314

Suggestions that are unfeasible or will only hurt the game have been excluded.
The winner for day one is...
The drone dispenser is coming shortly. On June 6, I will pick another set of names to run through.
ALL SUGGESTIONS BELOW THIS POST WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR DAY 2.
Last edited by Xhuis on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #93323

OoooOoOoh!
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #93329

The ability to climb and ride borgs
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
kevinthezhang
Byond Username: Kevinthezhang

Post by kevinthezhang » #93332

Chameleon projectors can scan humans, and allow you to project yourself as them at the time of scanning.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #93333

kevinthezhang wrote:Chameleon projectors can scan humans, and allow you to project yourself as them at the time of scanning.
Like the Abductor disguise system? because when AnturK made that I made him make the back end nice and generic, so it could EASILY do this.
私は完璧
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #93348

Xhuis wrote:Suggestions that are unfeasible or will only hurt the game have been excluded.
The winner for day one is...
The drone dispenser is coming shortly. On June 6, I will pick another set of names to run through.
Poor scones got excluded
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #93351

TechnoAlchemist wrote: Poor scones got excluded
cloaks are so detrimental that they are entirely unfeasible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #93361

A syndicate door charge.
When placed on a door, will explode when next opened.
To place on door: Screwdriver panel open, click door. "You applied the charge to the electronics of the door!"
Screwdriver door panel closed to arm.
The sprite of the door does not change, however, examining the door will lead to "The door panel looks bulkier than normal."
Should an unfortunate open the door from the side the charge was applied, they take critical damage if directly on the tile in front of the door, and almost crit damage directly to the side. Being one tile away from the door causes light damage, and no damage to the side and one tile away.
Blows off the door panel and causes damage to tiles in front of the door, but the door still works fine, the panel just can't be closed.
To disarm, you screwdriver the panel and cut the charge off.
Alternatively, opening the door from the other side causes 0 damage to you but still sets off the charge.
I play Boris Pepper.
kevinthezhang

Post by kevinthezhang » #93364

Remie Richards wrote:
kevinthezhang wrote:Chameleon projectors can scan humans, and allow you to project yourself as them at the time of scanning.
Like the Abductor disguise system? because when AnturK made that I made him make the back end nice and generic, so it could EASILY do this.
I honestly don't really know what abductors are nor what they are capable of; But its good that it is easy to implement.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #93367

kevinthezhang wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
I honestly don't really know what abductors are nor what they are capable of; But its good that it is easy to implement.
Their disguises take a "Snapshot" of a person at a moment in time, and they can change their icon to that snapshot, including the clothing icons and things they were holding at that time.
私は完璧
kevinthezhang

Post by kevinthezhang » #93368

Remie Richards wrote:
kevinthezhang wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
Their disguises take a "Snapshot" of a person at a moment in time, and they can change their icon to that snapshot, including the clothing icons and things they were holding at that time.
Oh cool yeah that was exactly what I was talking about then.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #93372

The ability to modify dice into weight dice so they always land on good scores.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #93382

Falamazeer wrote:OoooOoOoh!
Where do you want the drone dispenser to go? It's ready to put down but I need a place for it.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #93385

I would love for a vote on bags of holding actually being able to fit human bodies things seriously
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Celdur
Byond Username: Celdurr

Post by Celdur » #93402

Xhuis wrote:
Falamazeer wrote:OoooOoOoh!
Where do you want the drone dispenser to go? It's ready to put down but I need a place for it.
Robotics or AI sat would make the most sense.
Though I wonder, does emaging it do anything?
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #93461

Ooh, that drone shell machine certainly sounds nice. I agree with Celdur that it'd make the most sense to place it in Robotics or the AI satelite, though having them somewhere in Engineering could work as well, if need be.
bandit wrote:The ability to climb and ride borgs
Seconding this, since it sounds fun to me.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #93462

Either robotics or AI sat would be fine, yes.

editI(Anything but derelict really that you could find easily, and consider available to the drones to move on to the rest of the station)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93471

Going to re-enter the idea of chokeholding people and being able to put them into a bag of holding.
That or the ability to fold bluespace bodybags with people in them.
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #93478

Dart pistol
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #93483

DAY 2 IS COMPLETE. THE DRONE SHELL DISPENSER HAS BEEN CODED AND ADDED TO THE PULL REQUEST.
TechnoAlchemist wrote:Dart pistol
Already exists in the traitor uplink and from cargo.
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #93484

Xhuis wrote:DAY 2 IS COMPLETE. THE DRONE SHELL DISPENSER HAS BEEN CODED AND ADDED TO THE PULL REQUEST.
TechnoAlchemist wrote:Dart pistol
Already exists in the traitor uplink and from cargo.
Wait what since when?

Edit: Riot darts are boring, I mean like chemical darts.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93497

you mean like, a syringe gun?
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #93512

lumipharon wrote:you mean like, a syringe gun?
Basically a rapid syringe gun except lower reagent threshold, smaller. Maybe a dart clip for the syndi pistol would make more sense.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93520

Speaking of which, there should totally be shotgun dart mags for the bulldog.
The mag itself would count as a beaker, so the contents get evenly distributed to each shotgun dart.

Ops don't exactly have access to chem to do their own thing, but having some pre-made mixes would be hella cool.

For example, shotgun darts with some mute toxin + some quick takedown chems for tacticool silent takedowns.
No more worrying about people calling over radio.

Or a phlogiston/napalm/ClF3 darts for near unstoppable fire hilarity?

Basically, that would open the door to a huge variety of hilarious ammo for ops.
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #93556

Add the Clown Car from goon. Clown should be able to order it after getting enough slip-points on his PDA.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #93558

Make emagging a drone flip the drone's 3rd law. It still can't interact with entities, but it is instructed to deconstruct the station.
Mime: Depresso
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #93563

Requesting that you whip Cheridan so lizard hairstyles are integrated into character customisation.

(Honk.)
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Mandurrh
Byond Username: Mandurrh

Post by Mandurrh » #93579

Falamazeer wrote:A drone dispenser that can freely spit out drones from round start to round end, without reliance on roboticists who forget or just don't care.
Woah buddy. Don't blame roboticists. We can't print drone shells without research. And they aren't low research anymore either. It's a pain in the butt waiting on rnd and you can only ask if they can sync again yet so many times before they get annoyed.

I didn't read down further before I posted. Nevermind and scratch mine.
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #93605

BLUESPACE IS THE WINNER
DOOR CHARGES ARE COMING SOON

ALL POSTS BELOW THIS ONE CONSIDERED FOR DAY 3
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #93606

Change replica pods in botany to function like golem runes, remove them from the vendor, and hide them behind another layer of mutation from cabbages.

Don't actually know how much work this would be!
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #93607

Xhuis wrote:
BLUESPACE IS THE WINNER
DOOR CHARGES ARE COMING SOON

ALL POSTS BELOW THIS ONE CONSIDERED FOR DAY 3
I play Boris Pepper.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #93609

A new constructable tesla coil thing that can be placed on powered wires and shoots lightning bolts at anyone nearby, similar to the wizard spell. More power in the wire means more damage and a higher chance to shoot lightning at multiple people.

If that one is too hard or unbalanced, then do the spikewall that I suggested before instead.