New & (Nearly) Finished Jobs - Bridge Crew & Commander

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
John Smith
Byond Username: The John Smith

New & (Nearly) Finished Jobs - Bridge Crew & Commander

Post by John Smith » #114329

Enclosed within the .zip file attached to this post in an ass old version of /tg/code with some minor cosmetic changes as well as two (Nearly) finished new jobs, adding a total of 5 new job slots to the game.

I had always hated how empty and useless the bridge had felt. Watch any other Sci-fi inspired show and there is always a crew manning the bridge of any ship or station. The idea behind these two jobs is to give the bridge utility and bring life to an otherwise lifeless part of the station.
Bridge Crew

The job of the Bridge Crew is to man a station on the bridge according to their assigned department and help monitor everything happening there as an AI would, but with limited access only to see that part of the station. You could think of the bridge crew as the "Human" AI on the station, dedicated to a single department, meaning that the AI can focus on more important issues then opening doors, searching up people's DNA or jumpsuit trackers, or any other menial task the Bridge crew might be able to cover.
Spoiler:
Current possible departments include: Security, Engineering, Medical, and Cargo/Mining.
Bridge Commander

The Bridge Commander has the task of keeping his bridge crew in line, working at the "Command" station of the bridge, using the communications console to contact Centacom, and sending station wide announcements to keep the entire station updated on any emergencies, or possibly becoming a propaganda master under the orders of a more cynical captain.
Spoiler:

While the jobs themselves are done and should be functioning, the computers needed to make the jobs useful do not exist. At least, not in full. Within the code I found a computer that gives whomever uses it an "AEye"

Here are some examples of that "AEye" in action:

Of course, even the code now doesn't have its own glitches, such as your camera buttons not appearing sometimes.

Making code at this level is far over my head, and I couldn't figure out how to do it on my own, hence why I abandoned the jobs to begin with. I'm releasing what progress I have done now in the hopes that someone else will pick it up and finish the job for me.

Here is an exact list of what is needed to make these jobs functional:
  • A computer from which Bridge Crewman can observe and interact with their assigned department.
  • These computers must be able to only observe certain cameras within their delegated department.
  • Computers must allow for the user to interact with other electronics and doors within its assigned area.
  • Each computer should include the functions of other computers related to that job. (Ex. Medical Computers should be able to look up medical records and track people by their suit sensors.)
  • Some misc sprite work to make these computers look different enough from other PCs to tell them apart.
Thank you for your time and helping make these jobs possible.
.ZIP DOWNLOAD
Space Station 13 was intended to be played at 800x600 on a CRT monitor with 1x pixel scale.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Re: New & (Nearly) Finished Jobs - Bridge Crew & Commander

Post by Miauw » #114331

yes, because more intense monitoring of how the station is doing is exactly what we need for more exciting and chaotic rounds, right?
also sitting on the bridge all round sounds really exciting.
also gl subverting the AI, ever.
the aieye computer is never going to be put on the station, ever.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #114333

arent the Captain & HoP the Bridge Crew & Commander? or rather, Bridge Commander & Crew
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114336

AdenAbrafo wrote:arent the Captain & HoP the Bridge Crew & Commander? or rather, Bridge Commander & Crew
Yeah that was my thought, seems like a pointless extra head role. However it might be interesting to replace a single AI with a couple of humans with most of the same tools.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #114347

By itself the idea is a bit iffy.

But if you replaced the AI with these Human mini-AI's, who are Human mind you, would be actually a interesting proposition.

Though it will possible make it even faster for the Bridge Crew to notice something is amiss since they are more dedicated to viewing their assigned department.

Its still a interesting idea, but who knows how this will throw things out of whack.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #114349

Kind of extremely redundant while the HoP and Captain are both constantly on the Bridge

Not to mention the Bridge is rather small
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #114386

sounds like an ok idea but nobody is gonna actually stay at their post, lets be honest here. also agreed, bridge is rather small for all these guys
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #114411

Maybe lower it to two or three then? As long as we are considering a trial with no AI I think this actually might be pretty cool
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #114434

Good idea if we toss the AI, so you basically have a human AI in lieu of it. Bonus points if bridge crew could open doors and so forth like an AI can.
Scones

Post by Scones » #114437

Also these guys become the ultimate antag counter

Captain's bodyguard recall stopper subversion blocker
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #114483

It sounds like all these new roles could be condensed into just one enhanced surveillance guy on the bridge. With one man manning only the bridge area, and being constantly glued to the cameras, it should still be relatively easy to sneak into the bridge without him noticing.
Spoiler:
And then you can spook the shit out of him, Five Nights at Freddy's style.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #114494

One guy in a small cramped office who has to flip through the security channels would be amusing.

In fact take a book out of other games like Deadnaughts or Duskers where the actual limitations of the controller is the fact their equipment is very damn out of date, making interpreting information hard and less reliable and with equipment sometimes failing temporarily.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #114499

Steelpoint wrote: In fact take a book out of...
"take a book out of"? that's not a phrase, you mean "take a leaf out of X's book" where X is the thing to be taking the ideas and content from.
私は完璧
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #114502

I could see 1-2 dudes taking over in the AI sat if the AI was phased out a bit.

Put them in a room with pressure plates and a cat for dorf fort references, camera consoles, emergency buttons for each department that drops all firelocks or something, on a cooldown so you can't be a dick and spam it

I wouldn't give them headsets with command though.

Put an intercom at each work station set to command(I miss the library intercom that you could do this with, RIP in peace) to sort of dissuade them from running about unnecessarily.
It also makes the room a bit more valuable to break into, so you can tap into command comms without attacking/stealing directly from a head
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #114747

Not sure if it'd be possible to code but it would be kind of interesting to make it so late joiners could select to play as bridge crew members to take the AI's place if the round starts without one
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #114987

1-2 guys I say preferably one. Anyone can use the machine but it should be one at a time and like a cryopod, also neural link while suspended in fluid for homeworld style points.

I like the AI it is fleshed out but having alternatives can be hella fun.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #115064

Having a Bridge crew does make sense. In most series, Star Trek for example, there were always rank & file crew members manning the computers. In SS13 however, the computers are way too boring to make a job out of it. Nobody would want to sit on them all the time. Also as others have said, the bridge crew would just valid hunt via the cameras all round.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #115195

Alex Crimson wrote:Having a Bridge crew does make sense. In most series, Star Trek for example, there were always rank & file crew members manning the computers. In SS13 however, the computers are way too boring to make a job out of it. Nobody would want to sit on them all the time. Also as others have said, the bridge crew would just valid hunt via the cameras all round.
If nothing else they could be made admin spawn only. Might make it easier to ensure it's used more for roleplay than valid hunting. You know, in case the admins want to unleash their autism and do some star trek type event shit.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #115218

Well, admins can already do this if they want. Just spawn an ID console, make some custom IDs, grab some ghosts and send em in via the centcomm shuttle.
Scones

Post by Scones » #115294

Again, this would be much more sensible if:
- The Bridge held vital equipment that required constant management
- The Bridge was bigger
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #115404

This sounds like something that belongs in an Operations department, akin to the Ops deck in System Shock 2.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
John Smith
Byond Username: The John Smith

Post by John Smith » #115427

Ricotez wrote:This sounds like something that belongs in an Operations department, akin to the Ops deck in System Shock 2.
Like say, turning the empty office into an actual occupied office and giving the arrival area of the station more life?
Space Station 13 was intended to be played at 800x600 on a CRT monitor with 1x pixel scale.
Scones

Post by Scones » #115444

Again, pointless area as there is nothing of value there nor anything of particular value you could put there.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #115626

In System Shock 2, the job of the Operations deck was to oversee the proper operating of the entire Von Braun. The main computer systems were established there, as well as the brig, most dorms, the kitchen and mess hall and main weapon storages. The Operations deck was tasked to take care of the more mundane parts of keeping the Von Braun operational, while the Command deck and its bridge actually took the important decisions and relayed orders down.

Translate this to Space Station 13, and it would basically put Operations where right now we have the dorms and all other civilian departments, opposite from Med-Sci in the Starboard wing but extending upward to the Fore wing and hugging Security. The only thing missing from there are vital computer systems.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
oneechan
Byond Username: MajorAppleSauce

Post by oneechan » #119058

Bridge crew should have to play a rhythm game for an efficiency boost to the station (More output from singulo/solar collectors?)
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #119303

oneechan wrote:rhythm game
playing a rhythm game with BYOND's input lag would be a horrifying experience
Spoiler: