[SOLVED] Always make sure /tg/ is updated from git :)

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
cfitz22
Byond Username: Cfitz22

[SOLVED] Always make sure /tg/ is updated from git :)

Post by cfitz22 » #164876

Spoiler:
So I'm not absolutely certain that this should be here or in feedback because I also have a potential solution to the problem, but if it's not supposed to be here feel free to move it wherever you see fit.

I'd like to point out that my coding experience exists (hardly) outside the realm of Byond and that I am in no means an expert, so if this is conceivably game breaking just tell me and I'll delete the solution.

So I downloaded the most recent version of /tg/ (at the time of posting 3/27/16) and compiled it so I could do some testing to update the wiki and found that Dream Maker was failing to create the .dmb file after compiling due to two errors it was having. Both involved the use of a reserved keyword to identify a variable (or a function? I don't know if parenthesis after something denotes it as a function like it does in other languages). This keyword was 'throw'. I went ahead and compiled two more times only to get the same error.

My solution was pretty simple, but I have no idea how this could change the rest of the game since the compiler gave no other notifications after I made my changes. These are the changes I made one by one:

1: /code/modules/mob/mob_grab.dm on line 49
Changed throw() to throw_obj()

2: /code/modules/mob/living/carbon on line 289

3: /code/modules/mob/living/carbon on line 202

After making these changes I recompiled and received no errors. The .dmb file appeared, I launched the server, and had no troubles whatsoever. If this has already been brought up and I missed the thread, sorry about that.
My mistake. For whatever reason I thought the copy of /tg/ I had was up to date, but of course the wiki had an old version and the git had a more up to date version available. Problem is all gone. Go ahead and delete this if you want, totally my fault for not checking github for a new version and relying on the wiki.
Last edited by cfitz22 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Problem compiling /tg/ due to reserved keyword use

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164887

update byond to latest version
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: