why i code the way I code

How, what and why to code in BYOND.

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

why i code the way I code

Postby iamgoofball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:32 am #183903

no tl;dr

i was accused of making "half-assed PRs" earlier

i bust my ass every day for this shitty fucking community of caustic volatile 5 year olds just for them to take huge heaping clown-filled shits all over the work I made over multiple days, weeks, sometimes months, just for them to enjoy and experience

and here's why I make the changes I make:

part 1: the cause
so, there's usually 3 different types of causes

let's start with the 1st:
I played X feature, found it lacking

for example:
i play CE a lot
i noticed that my engineers below me are pretty much on the same level as me when it comes to shit
engineers have all access by default
engineers can take down any wall and build any structure
chief engineer has some fancy blueprints and a custom paintjob on their hardsuit

meanwhile, all the other heads have tools that make them better at their job than the people below them

the RD starts with teleport armor and shit he can use/decon from higher tech levels
the CMO starts with the hypospray and belt defib
the HoS starts with a dual stun/laser gun
the captain has all access and an auto-recharging laser gun
the HoP can disappear into thin air during a rev. round without ever being caught and can upgrade the access of others/himself

so, I coded a set of faster tools for the CE with golden sprites as a joke about how a lot of games have golden items being better stronger and faster despite being the weakest material IRL, and to let the CE have a one up on his subordinates when it comes to actually doing his job

cause 2:
people complained about X on the forums
for example:

people have recently been complaining that the prison break random event is shit due to only targeting the brig, doing it badly, and then not actually opening everything in the brig
i posted in the thread "yeah ill just make it apply to a random department or 2"
only 1 person acknowledges the post and says "id be fine with that" or some shit

so I coded a severity system for it and made it pick a random few departments with the amount based on the severity

cause 3:
i was bored and wanted a project

for example:
i was bored one day

i was recently digging through the gooncode

saw the wrasslin belt

felt like coding

so i ported it to tg

part 2: the aftermath

after the PR gets opened, I get the following comment types:

"goofball PR :-1:"
dont have much to say here, its the same old story every PR

"this doesn't fit the aesthetic"
everyone has their own opinion on what the aesthetic is, i just agree to disagree

"the code is bad" from someone who doesn't make PRs or code at all
learn to code and then come back

"the code is bad" from someone who does code but didn't specify what was wrong
great, specify whats wrong so I can fix it please

"the code is bad and here's why"
ok i can fix it

"this feature breaks the metagame"
why should the metagame never change, they never give a reason why it shouldn't

"it was fine the way it was"
i disagree with you on this one, you can have your opinions if you like

"i literally cannot play the game if this is merged"
yes you can
statistically speaking, you're full of complete and utter bullshit
unless it somehow makes it not run on a potato okay you can claim it then
but 999 times out of 1000 its not about that, its about muh balance

"go back to goon"
they aren't hiring

part 3: the post merge
shit either goes well or people kneejerk revert it because they cant handle the change, maybe it was even a bad change

i'm going to get shit if I close the PR before it gets merged because:
"ugh goofball you make too many PRs and then close them/never finish them stop halfassing it
or the PR gets merged and then:
"ugh goofball your PRs are shit stop making them so shit and getting them merged ugh"
damned if you do damned if you dont

anyways that concludes my ramblings



icecreamcohn
 
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 4:49 am
Byond Username: IceCreamCohn

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby icecreamcohn » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:36 am #183906

Goofball.. Code me a borg that can be made with human arms and legs... so it can pick things up

User avatar
SpinnerMaster
 
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 am
Byond Username: SpinnerMaster

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby SpinnerMaster » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:38 am #183907

Most people who play this game will never contribute to it, so why should they complain about the people who do?

User avatar
TechnoAlchemist
 
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:39 am
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby TechnoAlchemist » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:46 am #183911

goof is really mad about people not liking his things

User avatar
ShadowDimentio
 
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:15 am
Byond Username: David273

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby ShadowDimentio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:50 am #183912

You don't have to code to say that stuff like disablers or Goofchem were shit. Your argument is invalid.

But seriously for how much I hate you sometimes for being a cuck Goof you do a lot of work and that's commendable.

Consider taking requests on stuff to code and people would probably change their tune on hating you/coders
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz

User avatar
Armhulen
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Armhulen » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:52 am #183913

robustin should make a thread about this too, but yes I totally agree people just -1 goof's prs because others do
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Steelpoint » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:06 am #183915

I'm pretty sure most people disliked the PR because of the bad sprites.
Image

User avatar
Armhulen
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Armhulen » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:09 am #183916

Steelpoint wrote:I'm pretty sure most people disliked the PR because of the bad sprites.

what, the golden tools? I liked them! if that is goof's work that's a hell of a lot better than other coders do with spriting in general.
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

lzimann
 
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:13 am
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby lzimann » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:10 am #183917

iamgoofball wrote:i play CE a lot
i noticed that my engineers below me are pretty much on the same level as me when it comes to shit
engineers have all access by default
engineers can take down any wall and build any structure
chief engineer has some fancy blueprints and a custom paintjob on their hardsuit

meanwhile, all the other heads have tools that make them better at their job than the people below them

so the hardsuit that is 90% rad immune and 100% fire immune is just a paintjob?
and the magboots that have no slowdown?
CE already has neat things already that make him better than engineers/atmos...

User avatar
Wyzack
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:32 pm
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Wyzack » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:11 am #183918

> goofchem is bad

Will you people fuck off with this already? Yes it was super easy to heal people with our old Chem. It was also fucking BORING. Now we have crazy shit like phlogiston, black powder, bath salts, meth, so much variety for shenanigans. The implementation was a little shitty but i can not imagine going back to our old chemistry system
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!

Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.

EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:12 am #183919

it is true though there is a stigma with goofball that automatically gets his PRs hit with negative feedback

did you know krav maga was mostly coded by goofball, i just salvaged the code after his PR was closed, made it use action buttons, and rebalanced it a tiny bit? yet his PR was closed and mine was merged.

it really sucks too because goofball is actually one of our better coders. he really does make a lot of features for us which is more than most of the players here can say.

he can make controversial shit at times (goofchem REMOVE) but most of the time he's not as bad as people make him out to be.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby paprika » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:25 am #183927

Christ goof, chill out, you should know by now that the best way to code is to do it in silence and not give a shit about what other people think because otherwise you'll just get banned by lynchmobs
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
lumipharon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 am
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby lumipharon » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:50 am #183939

If people don't or can't provide reasoning for their criticism, just ignore them.
For people saying that 'if you don't contribute to the code you shouldn't critise people that do' - fuck you. This is genuinely one of the most retarded things ever, and only contributes to a hostile and insular environment that helps nothing but your thin skinned ego. While it doesn't mean they can just be massive shitters for no reason, providing that the noncoder plebs provide criticism that is well reasoned/backed up with proof etc, then it's just as valid as coming from someone who DOES contribute.

With goofchem, hilariously broken mechanics/bugs aside, basically no one ever had a problem with the non healing chems - what rustled people's jimmies was the fact that your argument for replacing trek (healing) chems literally made no sense.
Trekchems are far more versatile in terms of application methods, and yes shit like DD is comparatively strong/easy to get. So you replaced it arguing that trekchem was too strong/easy, yet you replaced it with chems that were even simpler, massively more potent, and lacked all the versatility of trekchems. And when people called you out on it, you backpeddled and argued to KEEP goofchems because THEY were more potent then trekchems???

Also, how are normal engineers anywhere near as good as the CE?
His hardsuit is the clear best on station, he has boots of notslow, and has motherfucking poly - slayer of spiders, stealer of revolvers, and spouter of memes.

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby iamgoofball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:01 am #183940

>poly

literally useless

>hardsuit with rad + fire protection

you can get that from a firesuit and the right drugs mix

rad protection literally never comes up

>magboots of noslow

Okay, here's why magboots of noslow dont matter:
You only use magboots in zero-grav enviroments. Such as space. Where your hardsuit has a jetpack and stabilizer built in.

User avatar
lumipharon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 am
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby lumipharon » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:16 am #183941

iamgoofball wrote:>poly

literally useless

>hardsuit with rad + fire protection

you can get that from a firesuit and the right drugs mix

rad protection literally never comes up

>magboots of noslow

Okay, here's why magboots of noslow dont matter:
You only use magboots in zero-grav enviroments. Such as space. Where your hardsuit has a jetpack and stabilizer built in.


A firesuit doesn't make you space proof or provide reasonable armour. Common firesuits don't even make you completely fire immune, unless that's been reverted recently.
Not everyone has access to giant stockpiles of drugs, and having to constantly pop a limited supply of pills vs just putting on a suit is a pretty clear disadvantage.

Also the CE also used to be one of the very few guys with round start access to the RCD - which was really his equivilent telearmour/hypospray (it was even a steal objective like the blueprints) but repeated memebuffs means those are fucking everywhere so eh...

You're right about the inbuilt jetpack, but inbuilt jetpacks are inherently unbalanced as fuck, and it looks like they'll soon get replaced with toggleable jetpacks instead, if not outright removed.
Also you dont need to wear the boots and hardsuit at the same time yo.

User avatar
TechnoAlchemist
 
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:39 am
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby TechnoAlchemist » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:37 am #183947

plenty of people use the magboots without the hardsuit on do you even play

User avatar
J_Madison
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:39 pm
Byond Username: Akesson

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby J_Madison » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:24 am #183965

Lets unleash the fury on this one. I'm still pretty pissed.

Your reasons for goonchem are paper thin, not to mention you're so very protective any attempt to change, nerf, revert any part of it results in a response from you far greater than the responses we offer to your PRs. Hell you screamed at me in caps lock for a good five minutes demanding that I don't touch it.

Your content makes me question why it's even needed. I think less things from goon would be nice. You don't take criticism in this way. It's your way or the highway.

The hissy fits if a maintainer refuses to merge your PR. You went about for more than 3 hours harassing maintainers in coderbus and the use of timers to harass them twice in 30 minutes until someone spoke up and told you they didn't like this attitude. They didn't want to merge it. You nailed your own coffin this time.

Oh but you won't take that. You got mad, defiantly reopened it, tried everything but you don't get it.

Nobody wants this content. Not anymore they don't.
You call yourself the code gypsy, maybe it's because you get thrown out of so many communities you force yourself to take a vacation and hope they forget about you.



That's your constructive feedback.

Scott
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:50 pm
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Scott » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:35 am #183968

ShadowDimentio wrote:You don't have to code to say that stuff like disablers or Goofchem were shit. Your argument is invalid.

But seriously for how much I hate you sometimes for being a cuck Goof you do a lot of work and that's commendable.

Consider taking requests on stuff to code and people would probably change their tune on hating you/coders


PKPenguin321 wrote:it really sucks too because goofball is actually one of our better coders



Stop this. There are several coders that put in a lot more effort than goof to fix bugs or to create well thought out features that aren't "golden tools that are faster". This takes no effort whatsoever, except maybe from the spriter.

Stop commending goof for meme PRs so he can progress past that shit.

Scott
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:50 pm
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Scott » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:42 am #183971

Goof you didn't listen to what phil said. Drop the ego and put in some effort. Take a vacation from features and start fixing PRs, but not like the bug fixes you did this week.

Nobody hates you. Except maybe that person that thumbs down your PRs automatically.

User avatar
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:26 pm
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby MisterPerson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:56 am #183980

ShadowDimentio wrote:You don't have to code to say that stuff like disablers or Goofchem were shit. Your argument is invalid.

But seriously for how much I hate you sometimes for being a cuck Goof you do a lot of work and that's commendable.

Consider taking requests on stuff to code and people would probably change their tune on hating you/coders


You can think something is shitty, that's fine. But you better be able to back it up. It's your job to change the mind of the coder. It's not my or any other coder's job to make you or any player happy just because you complain.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter

User avatar
Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Space outside the Brig
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:32 am #183993

It's also not goofball's job to rant endlessly about being unpopular, but he does it anyway.
Image
Image

Cik
 
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:24 pm
Byond Username: Cik

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Cik » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:52 am #183995

goofhate is a meme

btw the golden tools were just too silly

the idea isn't terrible though

thx

User avatar
phil235
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am
Byond Username: Phil235

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby phil235 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:21 pm #184001

SpinnerMaster wrote:Most people who play this game will never contribute to it, so why should they complain about the people who do?


There is such a thing as spamming PRs. Goof made ~320 PRs in the last 1.5 years and only ~130 got merged, that's a 40% merge rate, one of the lowest of all coders who ever coded for tgstation. In the last 1.5 years, maintainers had to review and discuss ~190 PRs from goof alone that ended up not getting merged, that's roughly 1 every 2.5 days. We complain about bad coders because they make maintainers lose time, time that could be used reviewing better PRs or coding more bugfixes and features.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor

User avatar
ColonicAcid
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:36 pm
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby ColonicAcid » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:20 pm #184017

The arguement that "he does it for free" doesn't work either.

As I've always said to both admins and coders going "WELL DUHH WHY DONT YOU TRY IT??!!!?!?!":
It's a volunteer position, you volunteered to do your job, I on the other hand, did not volunteer to eat shit daily for free, so perhaps maybe instead of trying to justify your bad decisions by the fact that you took this voluntary job how about you actually do your job?
crack is whack but smacks got your back

lzimann
 
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:13 am
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby lzimann » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:33 pm #184046

iamgoofball wrote:>magboots of noslow

Okay, here's why magboots of noslow dont matter:
You only use magboots in zero-grav enviroments. Such as space. Where your hardsuit has a jetpack and stabilizer built in.


did you know active magboots work just like non-slip shoes

User avatar
Anonmare
 
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: Blighty
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Anonmare » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:42 pm #184048

lzimann wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:>magboots of noslow

Okay, here's why magboots of noslow dont matter:
You only use magboots in zero-grav enviroments. Such as space. Where your hardsuit has a jetpack and stabilizer built in.


did you know active magboots work just like non-slip shoes

They're actually better since no-slips don't counteract no-grav or lube but the CE's boots do.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
ShadowDimentio
 
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:15 am
Byond Username: David273

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby ShadowDimentio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:07 pm #184061

MisterPerson wrote:You can think something is shitty, that's fine. But you better be able to back it up. It's your job to change the mind of the coder. It's not my or any other coder's job to make you or any player happy just because you complain.


I try to give good arguments to why stuff is shit. I'm rarely listened to though. :(
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby NikNakFlak » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:25 pm #184067

That's because most shit out of your mouth is retarded shitposting. See: Your most recent post in admin feedback
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby iamgoofball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:47 pm #184073

J_Madison wrote:Your reasons for goonchem are paper thin, not to mention you're so very protective any attempt to change, nerf, revert any part of it results in a response from you far greater than the responses we offer to your PRs. Hell you screamed at me in caps lock for a good five minutes demanding that I don't touch it.


you acted the same about virology a few weeks back when a goofmed bug occured during the test merge that was set up to catch oversights like this made stimulants have a few weird effects

i'll admit i get a bit annoyed when people touch goofchem but its because it's usually "remove goofchem bring back trekchem" and I don't want my work to go down the trash bin

J_Madison wrote:Your content makes me question why it's even needed. I think less things from goon would be nice. You don't take criticism in this way. It's your way or the highway.

i have the right to code
i also have the right to defend my positions on the code

J_Madison wrote:The hissy fits if a maintainer refuses to merge your PR. You went about for more than 3 hours harassing maintainers in coderbus and the use of timers to harass them twice in 30 minutes until someone spoke up and told you they didn't like this attitude. They didn't want to merge it. You nailed your own coffin this time.

when the only way to get a PR merged is to nag maintainers, I nag maintainers. I tried asking nicely and the only person who listened was raz who gave me the "its too much effort to press the green button" excuse.

J_Madison wrote:Oh but you won't take that. You got mad, defiantly reopened it, tried everything but you don't get it.

yup

J_Madison wrote:Nobody wants this content. Not anymore they don't.

going by the fact that the 3rd iteration of the PR https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/18262
has 4 upvotes and 0 downvotes, i think people do want it

J_Madison wrote:You call yourself the code gypsy, maybe it's because you get thrown out of so many communities you force yourself to take a vacation and hope they forget about you.

yup

Scott wrote:Stop this. There are several coders that put in a lot more effort than goof to fix bugs or to create well thought out features that aren't "golden tools that are faster". This takes no effort whatsoever, except maybe from the spriter.

Why does every PR have to be this highly detailed new system designed from the ground up? Why can't I propose a 8 line change as a buff to the CE instead of recoding a bunch of stupid shit just to buff the CE? You guys complained about massive sweeping redesigns and new shit, why are you bitching now that I'm trying to do simple shit?

when redesigning the wheel it doesn't need 15 sporks, neon lights, and a built in mini-fridge

Scott wrote:Goof you didn't listen to what phil said. Drop the ego and put in some effort. Take a vacation from features and start fixing PRs, but not like the bug fixes you did this week.

i do put in effort

i spend most of my time not spent working coding for SS13

i'm constantly thinking up ideas on how to do shit and methods to improve the game experience

i put a very large amount of effort into PRs, and I find it really fucking offensive to say that I don't put in effort

the PRs I drop and stop supporting that phil was so kindly giving us statistics for?

90% of them aren't going to be merged regardless of code quality

also another thing I dont have magical foresight that says whether something will be merged or not so dont tell me I should "know" if it'll get merged
because shit like golden tools aren't out of place compared to clowns, mimes, genetic catgirls, and fucking lizards with wings


phil235 wrote:There is such a thing as spamming PRs.

spamming PRs is "flooding the issue tracker with shittons of empty PRs with no line changes"
spamming PRs is not "coding stuff and submitting it"
phil235 wrote:Goof made ~320 PRs in the last 1.5 years and only ~130 got merged, that's a 40% merge rate, one of the lowest of all coders who ever coded for tgstation.

Yes. I code a lot of stuff. Not all of it is good in your eyes. I have the right to make a PR, I don't have the right to get it merged.
phil235 wrote:In the last 1.5 years, maintainers had to review and discuss ~190 PRs from goof alone that ended up not getting merged, that's roughly 1 every 2.5 days.

Okay. I code a lot of stuff for this game and some of it gets rejected. Do you expect me to magically know whether a PR is going to be merged or not?
phil235 wrote:We complain about bad coders because they make maintainers lose time, time that could be used reviewing better PRs or coding more bugfixes and features.

Quite frankly, it takes very little time at all to review a PR. The only time shit actually takes discussion is balance memes, and even then that's best shut up by telling Kor to make a decision.

ColonicAcid wrote:It's a volunteer position, you volunteered to do your job, I on the other hand, did not volunteer to eat shit daily for free, so perhaps maybe instead of trying to justify your bad decisions by the fact that you took this voluntary job how about you actually do your job?

I do my job though, look at phil's statistics up there. I code a lot more than most coders and submit a lot more PRs.

NikNakFlak wrote:That's because most shit out of your mouth is retarded shitposting. See: Your most recent post in admin feedback

I made that post because that guy was talking about "why are there so many deleted posts??"
it was a funny meme

User avatar
Eaglendia
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 pm
Byond Username: Eaglendia

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Eaglendia » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:52 pm #184074

Golden tools were boss, fuck you guys.
╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Millian MacTavish • Braids Grenades • Eliott Graves • Tyrell Stone
In-game trialmin; certified boomer.
Be rational, be responsible, and be excellent to eachother.
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Trialmin ReviewAlways better, never perfect.

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby NikNakFlak » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:53 pm #184075

I was talking to shadowdimentio, not you.
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby iamgoofball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:54 pm #184076

NikNakFlak wrote:I was talking to shadowdimentio, not you.

you can never tell these days

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby NikNakFlak » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:58 pm #184079

That's because you both shitpost wayy to hard so you can't tell who shitposting is referring to.
Also, stop typing half in meme lowercase and half in proper uppercase grammar, it's painful to read and makes you look stupid.

i code this way because im a victim
I code this way because I'm a victim.

Jesus, #Triggered
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby iamgoofball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:59 pm #184080

NikNakFlak wrote:That's because you both shitpost wayy to hard so you can't tell who shitposting is referring to.
Also, stop typing half in meme lowercase and half in proper uppercase grammar, it's painful to read and makes you look stupid.

i code this way because im a victim
I code this way because I'm a victim.

Jesus, #Triggered

i dont know What You're Talking about

User avatar
Armhulen
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Armhulen » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:05 pm #184082

I really liked the golden tools, yeah
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

User avatar
firecage
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 pm
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby firecage » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:22 am #184160

Goof, well, because you do tend to completely churn out a bugridden mess with zero sense of game balance at all and then scream at the top of your lungs like a 2 year old when anyone mentions something bad about it. Like Goofchem was for the first few weeks, which took a fuckload of PR's afterwards to fix. Or like Goofmed was which I swear you didn't test anything on.
Image
Image

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby iamgoofball » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:01 am #184166

firecage wrote:Goof, well, because you do tend to completely churn out a bugridden mess with zero sense of game balance at all and then scream at the top of your lungs like a 2 year old when anyone mentions something bad about it. Like Goofchem was for the first few weeks, which took a fuckload of PR's afterwards to fix. Or like Goofmed was which I swear you didn't test anything on.

Read fhe thread

User avatar
ShadowDimentio
 
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:15 am
Byond Username: David273

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby ShadowDimentio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:11 am #184171

NikNakFlak wrote:That's because most shit out of your mouth is retarded shitposting. See: Your most recent post in admin feedback


Well I mean if you had reading skills beyond a elementary schooler you could probably differentiate the two
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz

User avatar
Docprofsmith
 
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:38 pm
Byond Username: Jud1c470r

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Docprofsmith » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:51 pm #184229

HEY GUYS REMEMBER WHEN GOOFMED WAS TEST MERGED?

I REMEMBER

AND THAT WAS ENOUGH OF GOOF CODE FOR ME

Please stay away from the github
JUDICATOR REDEMPTION ARC

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby paprika » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:57 pm #184230

Guys, wow, here's an idea...

Maybe find the maintainers merging goofball's shit and criticize them for not using their brains??? (hint hint razharas)

They're the ones with the authority here, you can't make goof stop coding things you don't like, but you CAN get maintainers' titles removed if you think they're actually not doing their job and letting the codebase burn. Sure, it's goofball's fault if he submits something that's buggy and unfinished, but ultimately the responsibility is on the !!!MAINTAINER!!! to make sure the code is good. I know maintainers can't physically test every PR that comes down the pipeline but if there's a trend of some guys merging goof's shit without taking the code or design further into consideration (HINT HINT WE HAVE A DESIGN LEAD NOW, MAYBE FUCKING USE HIM?) then they should have their titles removed.

And this is the last kind of thread I expected from goofball considering he's the one who told me in IRC PMs a long time ago to 'not let people get to you' or something, maybe take your own advice goof none of this shit matters in the end we are all dust and ash trying to fill our life with something that removes the boredom if only for a moment. I know I'm not the best one to be giving advice here but maybe let it go if people don't want your PR and learn to distinguish/ignore blind hate bias from legit criticisms, something I am totally awful at
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
MMMiracles
 
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 am
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby MMMiracles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:45 pm #184248

make our station great again

goofstation 2020
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby NikNakFlak » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:30 pm #184253

ShadowDimentio wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:That's because most shit out of your mouth is retarded shitposting. See: Your most recent post in admin feedback


Well I mean if you had reading skills beyond a elementary schooler you could probably differentiate the two


I'd like to think that most people agree with me. There's a reason you were put into the cuck shed and your complaint made into a joke.
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
IrishWristWatch0
 
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Vitals only.
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby IrishWristWatch0 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:08 pm #184269

NikNakFlak wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:That's because most shit out of your mouth is retarded shitposting. See: Your most recent post in admin feedback


Well I mean if you had reading skills beyond a elementary schooler you could probably differentiate the two


I'd like to think that most people agree with me. There's a reason you were put into the cuck shed and your complaint made into a joke.


Seconded
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗

<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish

Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words

420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass

Lzimann's best friend.

° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °


╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝

User avatar
Armhulen
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Armhulen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:31 pm #184273

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:That's because most shit out of your mouth is retarded shitposting. See: Your most recent post in admin feedback


Well I mean if you had reading skills beyond a elementary schooler you could probably differentiate the two


I'd like to think that most people agree with me. There's a reason you were put into the cuck shed and your complaint made into a joke.


Seconded

o f f t o p i c
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby paprika » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:33 pm #184274

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:That's because most shit out of your mouth is retarded shitposting. See: Your most recent post in admin feedback


Well I mean if you had reading skills beyond a elementary schooler you could probably differentiate the two


I'd like to think that most people agree with me. There's a reason you were put into the cuck shed and your complaint made into a joke.


Seconded

Thirded
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
ShadowDimentio
 
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:15 am
Byond Username: David273

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby ShadowDimentio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:31 pm #184306

NikNakFlak wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:That's because most shit out of your mouth is retarded shitposting. See: Your most recent post in admin feedback


Well I mean if you had reading skills beyond a elementary schooler you could probably differentiate the two


I'd like to think that most people agree with me. There's a reason you were put into the cuck shed and your complaint made into a joke.


Because Goof shitposted the thread into oblivion

AND WE COME FULL CIRCLE, DUN DUNNNN
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz

Slignerd
Github User
 
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:27 pm
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby Slignerd » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:07 pm #184337

To be honest, I never could take goofball seriously, but not because of his features or because of his code - I actually find some features that I hear are made by him interesting. It's more about the general impression he gives. Like, just look at the typing style, the profile icon and some of the dumb comments now and then, and an impression is made.

If you don't really conduct yourself at least somewhat seriously, you can't expect people to take you seriously. It's an image thing, not a code thing, imo.
Last edited by Slignerd on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby paprika » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:13 pm #184339

I agree. Goofball, stop making text LARGE AND BOLD TO TRY AND MAKE A POINT it's so fucking condescending and shitty, I'm sure a lot of people will immediately see you in a better light if you stop that, I used to do it (to be intentionally a dickhead) but you seem to think it's helping your message get across
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby iamgoofball » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:49 pm #184369

i used large text here as it should be, to highlight important parts to read or to act as dividers between sections

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: why i code the way I code

Postby paprika » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:00 pm #184378

you're going to divide my heart into sections if you keep using big text to condescend
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

Next

Return to Coding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users