Resolved.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Returning the Shopping Cart

Post by Pandarsenic » #611898

Original Image:
Spoiler:
Transcription, emphasis mine:
Anon wrote:The shopping cart is the ultimate litmus test for whether a person is capable of self-governing.

To return the shopping cart is an easy, convenient task and one which we all recognize as the correct, appropriate thing to do. To return the shopping cart is objectively right. There are no situations other than dire emergencies in which a person is not able to return their cart. Simultaneously, it is not illegal to abandon your shopping cart. Therefore the shopping cart presents itself as the apex example of whether a person will do what is right without being forced to do it. No one will punish you for not returning the shopping cart, no one will fine you or kill you for not returning the shopping cart, you gain nothing by returning the shopping cart. You must return the shopping cart out of the goodness of your own heart. You must return the shopping cart because it is the right thing to do. Because it is correct.

A person who is unable to do this is no better than an animal, an absolute savage who can only be made to do what is right by threatening them with a law and the force that stands behind it.

The Shopping Cart is what determines whether a person is a good or bad member of society.
Prospective Headmins, as promised:

What is the ultimate Returning the Shopping Cart behavior in SS13?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Re: Returning the Shopping Cart

Post by tattle » #611901

Throwing out or storing items once you're done with them instead of tossing them on the floor, especially in medbay. A lot of patients and bodies come in and out, their things are thrown on the ground, medkits are used and tossed.

If you're one of those people who runs through medbay with a body bag clearing up the floor, I appreciate you. :clean:
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #611908

As a fervent cart narceteer, my best answer is using your epi-pen on corpses you bring to medbay. I know some non-paramedics might be bringing in lots of people, but if you do it early enough (like if you witnessed the death), it saves a hell of a lot of time.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #611911

I feel like delivering mail is something cargo gets zero reward for doing and yet I see people doing it nevertheless, that'd be my first stab
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #611932

I think if we're looking for PEAK shopping cart behaviour I have a unique scenario I've recently witnessed occur multiple times that is extra interesting because it's technically detrimental in game, but extremely positive from a purely OOC perspective. Anyone who does this without prompting (which I am now ruining by bringing this up) is a caring member of this community.

As security, cremating or contraband lockering the Staff of Healing.

The problem with the Staff of Healing, is that it is of course far too useful. It makes medbay utterly irrelevant and genuinely deletes a department from existence for everyone in that department. It takes all the fun and skill out of a medbay that puts effort into getting the chems together, rescuing and healing people. It basically turns them all into assistants with zero value and that's a shame.

So security, the role most likely to benefit from running around with a magical instant revive stick, is willing to destroy that huge personal IC benefit for themselves in exchange for keeping the actual game OOCly fun for a large number of players on the server, that is the highest level of shopping cart behaviour.

I'd like to say, that I do this, but the only reason I do this is because I first witnessed kieth4 (Lukas, who is running as a player candidate in this election) do it and was blown away by how considerate that was. It's one of the many instances of their positive behaviour recently that makes them one of the only player candidates I'd ever be find with becoming a headmin.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #611942

Having balls to make personal sacrifice to enhance narrative/story of the shift. Traitor trying RP antag scenario instead of powergame. Non-traitor playing along with traitor RP scenario instead of insta-valid.

Players taking the risk with their shift to try and create an awesome SS13 moment. The ultimate shopping cart returners.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #611944

Dragging a body to medbay (especially a head of staff/sec) without succumbing the primal urge to loot it.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #612182

Turning in all of your equipment to your department before you cryo out.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #612219

There was a thread about "good sportsmanship" on the forums a few weeks/months back that's what I think of when it comes to 'returning the shopping cart' in an SS13 context.

Having the willingness to forgo the "powergame or die" / "all valids are evil" mindsets to create interesting and diverse rounds.
Choosing to go along with someone's antagonist gimmick even if it will put you in a situation that will likely result in you "losing the game" (or dying).

Timber hit it close with...
Timberpoes wrote:Having balls to make personal sacrifice to enhance narrative/story of the shift.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #612234

mrmelbert wrote:There was a thread about "good sportsmanship" on the forums a few weeks/months back that's what I think of when it comes to 'returning the shopping cart' in an SS13 context.
Here it is
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #612270

I think it can go even just a little lighter than that as a litmus test, even.

You're playing science. You have this big, long strategy for making efficent, high power bombs. If you get started right away, you can make 20 bombs 15 minutes into the shift, and you can use them on any threat that shows up, blobs, a cult, maybe even a space dra-

"Oh hey Jeff, haven't seen you around in awhile."

"Oh, hey, glad to be around. Just had this great new idea for a bomb mix."

"Really? What's so special about it?"

Just... talking. The game is an RP game with extremely in-depth mechanics. Not every 10 seconds of your magnificent master plan to finally make the perfect circuit or nanites should feel like you're getting "dragged away" from the game just because the game requires social interaction. The game IS social interaction. The same people that will wordlessly loot tool storage, hack the captain's office in 10 seconds flat and get the stuffing beat out of them by security for playing SS13 solitaire with the pretty golden card are the kind of people who will burn out and miss that the best part of the game isn't what you do, it's who you do it WITH.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #612329

I would love to see the shopping cart implemented on /tg/, it will would be interesting seeing greytiders fucking around with it.
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #612356

RiskySikh wrote:I would love to see the shopping cart implemented on /tg/, it will would be interesting seeing greytiders fucking around with it.
Give me a few days after the freeze and I can see what I can do.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #612627

always return the shopping cart every goddamn time

the best example imho is cargo delivering mail, and i do kinda wish we'd add more delivery methods for mail to compliment this