Why arent you playing or staying informed on MRP/LRP?

Resolved.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Why arent you playing or staying informed on MRP/LRP?

Post by Cobby » #612394

One of the more frustrating points, certainly not exclusive to the lineup this year, is the idea that candidates dont seem to have any idea about what is going on in the MRP (or LRP for MRP-girls) world and thats supposedly fine.

As MRP becomes a more considerable portion of the community, especially with the opening of a european MRP server, im believing less and less in the idea that individuals are just going to pick a MRP-headmin lite to run that area when someone who does involve themselves with both servers (or heck even the person you assigned) could have taken the position. What I do believe is that people who want to be headmin should start seriously involving themselves on both fronts, at least to the point where they can feel comfortable going on and enforcing the rules of that server.

The questions are:

If you only have knowledge of XRP and not YRP, to which I mean you would not feel comfortable taking ahelps that would require familiarity with MRP/LRP:

Code: Select all

1a. Why do you not play the other RP server? What is holding you back?
1b. Why do you not stay informed about the other RP server? What is holding you back and how are you working to improve that?
1c. If you're answered "ping" for 1a, have you taken any measure to encourage people try out campbell including yourself?

2a.  As someone running for headmin, how are you reconciling the fact that you simply do not have sufficient knowledge to answer a growing portion of the policy questions potentially to the point where you require someone to answer on your behalf? What would be your approach to make sure these questions get answered appropriately?
2b. What would you be bringing to the table that a headmin who would be comfortable in both areas would not?
If you would feel comfortable taking ahelps that would require familiarity with LRP/MRP nuances:

Code: Select all

1. What are highlights about both the LRP/MRP servers you think the other could learn from? This can be from a player-approach standpoint or an administrative-approach one. Ideally looking for at least 1 of each RP level.

2. Are you content with the current level of admin oversight (or the "RP level") for both LRP and MRP servers? If not, is there something you think you could implement as a headmin that would put them into your ideal state?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: Why arent you playing or staying informed on MRP/LRP?

Post by Timberpoes » #612397

See self as both MRP and LRP admin. Participated in policy discussions for both, advocating for MRP and LRP centric policies. Feel like I accomplished this.

1. MRP Rules less important than player IC motivation for action. Both administrative-approach & player-approach. Player-to-player moments. MRP is heart of tg.

LRP highlight mechanics. Player skill. Game knowledge. Friends murder friends. Chaos. Betrayal. LRP is soul of tg.

LRP sometimes lacking heart. Should talk. Interact. Cultural human moments. MRP sometimes lacking soul. Could take opportunity to act. Cheat. Lie. Betray. Primal human moments.

2. Manuel 50% admin team, 50% community. Admins enforce rules with wide discretion. Server has strong player count. Clearly doing something right. Continue allowing discretion. Curated experience.

Terry also own beast. Easier to admit Terry own culture akin to Manuel. Own server admins. Own server views. Same cliques, different names.

Terry also hugely popular server. Clearly offer SS13 experience lacking elsewhere. Would not want this to change. Players still expected to follow rules. Work with Terry team to make sure exceptions to this are justified.

Bagil, Sybil, good embodiment of LRP principles. Broad church of admin views. Healthy places. Good mix of heart and soul.

Campbell tabula rasa. Opportunity for admin team and players to create brand new SS13 experience under MRP ruleset. Server created with no preconceptions. Let it grow with both admins & players.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #612412

I don't like murderbone, and I like seeing people talk and roleplay often. Not to say LRP doesn't have any of it, but it's much less than MRP.
1b. Why do you not stay informed about the other RP server? What is holding you back and how are you working to improve that?
I try to stay informed on policy and discussion made for the other side in bus and such, it's just difficult as I don't play those servers. I occasionally take supportmin pings from sybil (and did one from Terry once) so, at the very least, I think I can answer LRP-tickets if no one is around. I also want to dip into playing them more often when I have time (and patience).
1c. If you're answered "ping" for 1a, have you taken any measure to encourage people try out campbell including yourself?
No comment, as ping is not an obstacle for me.
2a. As someone running for headmin, how are you reconciling the fact that you simply do not have sufficient knowledge to answer a growing portion of the policy questions potentially to the point where you require someone to answer on your behalf?
I mentioned this in detail in my thread. I acknowledge I'm not as qualified for making policy for the servers i'm unfamiliar with and more than willing to defer to others for opinions. At the same time, I also have some understanding of what is wanted or needed of the community and intend on expanding my bounds to the servers I don't play or admin. While I have been campaigning as a primarily MRP player candidate I still care about all of our servers and our community.
What would be your approach to make sure these questions get answered appropriately?
Policy bus and other areas of admin or community discussion.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #612421

Ping, despite this I've put almost 20 hours into Manuel.
Why do you not stay informed about the other RP server? What is holding you back and how are you working to improve that?
I feel like I am informed on it to an extent, it's no secret that I made quite an effort to speak to multiple players and some admins from manuel asking their takes on certain issues before running because I recognize the importance of that server. I've also got a few friends from Manuel and we occasionally discuss the state of the servers and the place they hold in the community. Of course, I'm not going to be as informed as someone who plays on it every day but I am aware of some of the issues plaguing it.
If you're answered "ping" for 1a, have you taken any measure to encourage people try out campbell including yourself?
If you view campbell as just another MRP server I feel that you don't understand what the players have made of it. To those who haven't taken the time to play it /look into it it's just another mrp server but on the inside It's become a server for day spanning projects be it station renovation or some silly sm set ups and not your normal mrp server to the extent of having beds for crew to sleep on when they log off! Treating it as such would be a great injustice to the small but sturdy community that plays on it.
2a. As someone running for headmin, how are you reconciling the fact that you simply do not have sufficient knowledge to answer a growing portion of the policy questions potentially to the point where you require someone to answer on your behalf? What would be your approach to make sure these questions get answered appropriately?
My goal is to take a very player sided approach, for the players if you will. I'm able to appreciate the place that all of the servers hold in our community and have already spoken to players from all of the servers on what they make of their servers and what issues they see with them. I believe that this puts me in an advantaged position to answer a lot of the policy questions. If I felt uncomfortable or unsure answering one I'd go speak to others from the respective community to better gauge and opinion. If anything asking others makes the answer better as it takes into consideration multiple points of view and helps escape the closed minded notion of knowing everything.
2b. What would you be bringing to the table that a headmin who would be comfortable in both areas would not?
Although confidence in both of these areas would be great I have a fear that such an admin wouldn't consult others as much instead relying purely on themselves, this of course is ok BUT presents us the potential issue of them having a somewhat closed mindset leading to less informed choices.
RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #612509

honestly these questions are too much, and i am going to be basic fuck MRP i dont like the culture or the people they are honestly a bunch of stuck up cunts that are into bar rp, and i am being unrionically serious.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #612561

I'd consider myself familiar with both rulesets and servers. I personally play more frequently on Terry but I admin and run events on Manuel too.

1. What are highlights about both the LRP/MRP servers you think the other could learn from? This can be from a player-approach standpoint or an administrative-approach one. Ideally looking for at least 1 of each RP level.

I think SS13 is at it's heart, a story generator. That's where the infinite value and replayability comes from, and where the most unique and highest peaks of fun occur. No one really remembers greentexting, they remember that one incredible moment they slipped a nuke op, or when a borg went on a date with a giant space worm to distract it while the crew snuck up to maxcap it. I think LRP servers lose out on this quite often because they fixate on the physical game, the code and the content, and they exhaust it extremely quickly, become bored and start to have to find other ways to have fun that usually involve taking fun away from others. I think MRP shows that you can engage with the game in a more sustainably fun way if you focus on the RP occasionally.

For MRP, I think that the community around it is really strong, but I tend to find they're a little bit protective of their RP when it comes to the game interacting with it. This leads to antags being less antagonistic and being less willing to drive conflict. Character study is cool, but it's also a harder community to penetrate as a newcomer and conflict drives more exciting stories. I think MRP coupled with greater willingess to do violent things or creative antagonism instead of stealthing around to not step on people's toes would be great. It does happen, but a little more spice would be nice to see.

2. Are you content with the current level of admin oversight (or the "RP level") for both LRP and MRP servers? If not, is there something you think you could implement as a headmin that would put them into your ideal state?

I think the LRP servers are slipping very very slowly towards less roleplay but honestly over the course of nearly a decade playing this game I've seen peaks and troughs of roleplay and as long as we respond to keep it in balance as we always do, it shouldn't be a problem. I think MRP is reasonably well enforced from what I've seen, though I'd like them to find a bit more opportunity for violence and conflict. Effectively I think they could both move slightly towards each other and both be improved by it.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #612620

i like LRP and MRP, they're both fun for their own reasons
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #612672

I'm not sure I fall solidly into one of these categories or another. I have my roots in LRP and that's where I tend to play, but, though I'm admittedly rusty on enforcing them, I feel that I'm generally familiar with MRP rules.
In general it's just not my cup of tea. I like the dynamic and fast-paced nature of LRP and the organic roleplay that can come out of it. I find medbay more enjoyable on LRP too, because I tend to have more work to do.

I do on occasion enjoy playing MRP for roles that benefit from longer rounds or less chaos--jobs like cook and engineer come to mind.
Most of what I know about Manuel recently comes from MRP admins asking questions in bus and MRP bans/ban appeals. In that regard I keep pretty up to date.
2a. As someone running for headmin, how are you reconciling the fact that you simply do not have sufficient knowledge to answer a growing portion of the policy questions potentially to the point where you require someone to answer on your behalf? What would be your approach to make sure these questions get answered appropriately?
I think this is where things like policy discussions come in--for big changes I want to hear the opinions people who may be more knowledgeable than me first. Everyone who wants to voice their opinion on policy should be able to.

I don't know a lot about security either, so when I have to take tickets about security and I'm not completely certain which way I should rule, I listen to the opinions of admins who know more than me and make my ruling informed by their knowledge.
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: