Other Candidates Platforms

Forum rules
Anyone with recent playtime on our servers can make a thread to ask all candidates a question.

ONLY CANDIDATES MAY REPLY TO A THREAD [details]
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Other Candidates Platforms

Post by NamelessFairy » #721428

Are there any ideas from the other candidates you support and might implement if they don't get in and you do? Are there any ideas that you would stand in the way of if you were elected alongside time? Etc
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: Other Candidates Platforms

Post by Timberpoes » #721457

No to Kieth's mentors. The additional layer of red tape would be a pain in the ass. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to the idea of dedicated ways to get gameplay help or whatever, but I think the function is either better filled by admins or better filled by other players ICly helping eachother out instead of by mentors.

Most platforms this election are kinda empty. Even mine. Rule updates is something I've been working on the past 2 terms I've had. Transparency good. Dealing with "lights on" headmin day-to-day good. Basically just mentors is the one I'd hard block as a concept as there has to be a better way to do it than whatever systems other servers have which are kinda incompatible with tgstation's size and admin structure.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #721463

not a fan of mentors either. they'd add a lot more oversight and management to a system that already works, and i don't love the idea of the person platforming on having that amount of work added on likely de-adminning themselves at the end of their term for the rest of the team to deal with.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #721464

Timberpoes wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:42 am Most platforms this election are kinda empty. Even mine.
I feel that with the last few terms being so turbulent in terms of rule changes and dramatic shifts in policy we haven't had enough time to come up with something concrete to promise in an election. All I can promise is that I'll try to crack down on a problem when I see it, but I think we need a calmer term this time around.
respect (let him do his thing)
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #721466

kinnebian wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:55 am
Timberpoes wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:42 am Most platforms this election are kinda empty. Even mine.
I feel that with the last few terms being so turbulent in terms of rule changes and dramatic shifts in policy we haven't had enough time to come up with something concrete to promise in an election. All I can promise is that I'll try to crack down on a problem when I see it, but I think we need a calmer term this time around.
hell nah, keep things fresh. coolest thing about this spaceman game is that you take a break for a year or two and can come back to an entirely new experience. polish that stone until it gleams, and then polish it some more just for fun.
Tegun
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Tegun

Post by Tegun » #721481

Mentors are interesting because longtime players who are still active but not interested in being an admin or not quite fit to be an admin could be a useful resource we haven't tapped. The big question is what sort of form should it take in order to be worth having around. My gut feeling is sadly that if we're too strict about who gets to be a mentor etc., we end up spending way too much effort and time on managing the system, and if on the other hand we're really lax about it gets to the point where we could just allow IC in OOC during rounds. Odds are a satisfying solution doesn't exist.

1v1 to have ban lifted is something I could unironically back up. Probably as the Goof version of any game of admin's choice. Something to be invoked like rule 0. For those situations where "I'm sorry and won't do it again" is ALMOST enough but not quite. Also it'd be hilarious to see people trying to get banned for the first few weeks to get an appeal by combat, only to get denied.

Regarding rule changes, in the end it's a balancing act between how easy they are to grasp and how useful they are for specific situations. I've slowly fallen in the pit of just handwaving everything as rule 1 since it's much easier than actually reading the rules and keeping up with them. As an admin it's nice to have my expertise on dicks recognized and being trusted to identify dickish behaviour without error, but players could really use some of the real detailed rules and precedent to know what's expected from them. Even if there's the risk that they're going to quote some rule at me when I bwoink them and I have to wish them a nice shift.