Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

[Shadowlight213] Emily Ranger - IC OOCky ban in bad faith

Post by Amelius » #122410

Byond account and character name: Amelius / Emily Ranger
Admin: Shadowlight213
Time incident occured: 11:00 ESTish

Detailed summary:

This was midgame in a changeling round. I, and the other changelings had put a crazy amount of work in setting everything up. I myself, even, had our team objective, Fiz Bump's ID and so forth, which I planned on using later in the round (we had a team objective of replacing one guy - Fiz).

While trying to subvert the AI by hacking in through the gravgen, meteors started raining upon the station, and a Centcom report was provided notifying all crew and spectators that the event was occuring. I, during a MAJOR lag spike where OOC was spammed with 'lag', in my haste, I accidentally said 'Mmeteors' in OOC, right before finishing my subversion. As subverting the AI loudly typically does, the HoP, HoS, and RD all beelined into the upload. I downed the HoS, and ran off with his body into southwest maintenance. Banned out of nowhere for five minutes tugging a barely unconscious HoS while braindead for five minutes. Of course, I come back and I'm eaten by a singulo (apparently, I thought I was incinerated), with no end to the round in sight.

Firstly, the sole reason for the no IC in OOC rule is to prevent OOC knowledge from contaminating IC knowledge, i.e. stating something OOCly that even a single person is not aware of, means that the sancticty and fairness of the game is compromised. However, this did not occur here. Everyone, both spectating and ingame receives the Centcom notification that meteors are raining, and, given that the statement was immediately after the update, it's impossible that even a single person, IC or OOC would be notified about meteors without being aware of them in the first place (ignoring the fact they shake the screen and make a crapton of noise).

Secondly, no notification to the player was made, i.e. at no point did Shadowlight attempt to contact me, or ask if it would be possible to find a safe location to wait out my ban, or to even just wait for me to escape my pursuers before applying it, which I find is rather distasteful and, as an antagonist in a situation that is transparent to the entire crew that is actively hunting me (I believe the AI notified the HoP/HoS/RD somehow, and probably a lynch mob elsewhere, and I had *just* ran away from the HoP/RD with the HoS, and had BARELY crit the HoS before being forcefully disconnected). Hell, he could have just teleported me to Centcom prison if that.

Thirdly, he admitted that these two cases are true, but didn't seem to care that he destroyed a central antags round with a ban in poor faith.
PickleInspector
Byond Username: PickleInspector

Re: [Shadowlight213] Emily Ranger - IC OOCky ban in bad fai

Post by PickleInspector » #122413

This, like every other IC in OOC ban complaint, will be useless. Zero tolerance.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #122415

As Pickle said, 0 tolerance.
Also, the singularity was released a bit after you were banned, and the HOS died like half a second after the ban.
Your reasoning for it not being against the IC in OOC rule is flawed. With that interpretation, it would be ok to say something like "gang in robotics" if the dominator message came up.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #122422

palpatine213 wrote:As Pickle said, 0 tolerance.
Also, the singularity was released a bit after you were banned, and the HOS died like half a second after the ban.
Your reasoning for it not being against the IC in OOC rule is flawed. With that interpretation, it would be ok to say something like "gang in robotics" if the dominator message came up.
Is that a problem? The core idea is to not communicate things that IC and OOC doesn't know globally. Who is metanotified by the message 'gang in robotics' if everyone IC and OOC, already knows that there is a gang in robotics due to the dominator? It's effectively a redundant and irrelevant message. I could understand if it wasn't immediately after the Centcom update, in which case you're probably indicating something OOCly to someone that just joined, thus breaking the cardinal rule.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #122433

>ZERO TOLERANCE

The rules exist to make the game better for everyone, not to be enforced for their own sake.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #122436

Yo, quick question memers:

If a message is broadcast globally enough that every connected client can see it including lobby folk and knocked out people, can it be discussed in oh oh cee?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #122438

Can we just have "no" instead of "no, except this, and this, and this something, also this"

"No" is much more simple and easy to follow.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #122440

But the message is literally broadcast OOC, not IC.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #122446

I don't believe the message gets broadcast to the people sitting in the lobby that have not yet chosen their jobs.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #122447

The centcom messages are treated as IC messages from centcom. They aren't treated as OOC. The fact that they are broadcast means nothing. The head announcments and the captain's announcments are also broadcast. Are they OOC messages?
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #122449

newfren wrote:I don't believe the message gets broadcast to the people sitting in the lobby that have not yet chosen their jobs.
How is this relevant when you even get autokicked for being in the lobby, people start in at roundstart? I mean, does ANYONE start up SS13, then sit around on the login screen rather than spectating or playing?

It's extraordinarily unlikely that at that juncture someone was loitering on the login screen, or any other juncture. People spend all of probably 10 seconds, tops on it, sans roundstart, and almost everyone that plays a round is there at roundstart to begin with.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #122451

This is why we don't have "but when x happens, and if y happens too, and theres a slim chance for z"

It's just "don't do it"

Why is this so hard?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #122452

Amelius, you get auto kicked for being Afk in the lobby, or If the round ends with you in the lobby. You underestimate the amount of people who sit in the lobby and shit post in OOC. Your point is flawed.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #122482

In the same way that we temp ban for fake IC in OOC, its a zero tolerance policy. This is to avoid spoiling the game for everyone else. Its such an easy game to spoil with metacomms and using outside info to gain a game advantage that it can quickly become a frustrating and dull game for everyone involved.

However I would say that, personally, I try to just warn or warn before a boot of such bans. However, as is written, their methods were perfectly acceptable and the admin is at fault for their methods.

What I see here is vented/re-directed frustration, having spent a long round setting up for something to ultimately have it denied, and unfortunately that is just part of SS13.

I'll lock the topic for now as most of the input here has only really been relevant in terms of policy discussion. If a headmin wants to round things up or OP wishes to add further info, PM and i'll open it up again.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box