[Saegrimr] Nayeli Wood - ruining traitor round

UtterNewbie

[Saegrimr] Nayeli Wood - ruining traitor round

Post by UtterNewbie » #37946

Byond account and character name: Nayeli Wood
Admin: Saegrimr
Time incident occured: Sybil, round about 5 minutes before this post
Detailed summary:

I was a double agent botanist, spent ENTIRE round making enough biomass to produce approximately 100 monkey cubes, with intention to block off escape hallway for people trying to escape. I released them in a hallway, there was a minor lag after they got sprayed on water and spawned. Afterwards it didn't lag at all. Seconds after I receive a bwoink from Saegrimr telling me I'm going to crash the server. He then deletes all my monkeys, wasting an entire round of effort and preparation effectively ruining my traitor round.

100 monkeys is nowhere near enough to crash or even lag the server. With the amount of admin complaints and drama around his trigger happy admining I'm surprised he made it past trialmin, this is not what an admin should behave like.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Re: [Saegrimr] Nayeli Wood - ruining traitor round

Post by Hornygranny » #37950

You can walk freely through monkeys while using help intent. Your plan wouldn't have accomplished anything.
UtterNewbie

Post by UtterNewbie » #37952

Hornygranny wrote:You can walk freely through monkeys while using help intent. Your plan wouldn't have accomplished anything.
That's completely besides the point. It's akin to deleting a singularity that a traitor worked hard to release then arguing "but it stayed in engineering".

If this is legit then I want a list of approved traitor actions that won't waste 30 minutes only to be removed because x admin is on. I want Saegrimr deadminned for his constant misbehavior evident from dozens of complaints and incidents he's in, including this one. He actively looks out for opportunities to abuse his power.
scaredofshadows
In Game PermaBanned

Post by scaredofshadows » #37955

Mass introduction of monkeys can definitely slow down the server.

Why did you want to spawn 100 monkeys in the escape hallway as a double agent? This action can be interpreted by some as an attempt to crash the server.
UtterNewbie

Post by UtterNewbie » #37957

scaredofshadows wrote:Mass introduction of monkeys can definitely slow down the server.

Why did you want to spawn 100 monkeys in the escape hallway as a double agent? This action can be interpreted by some as an attempt to crash the server.
Did you even read the first post?

The only instance where mob spam ever crashed server to my knowledge is when wizard events x5 caused thousands of mice to spawn, even that wasnt crash just massive slowdown followed by round reset. Around 100 monkeys are not even noticeable aside from the first minor lag when they spawn. Atmos or singularity will cause more server strain than this did, I don't see them being deleted.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #37969

I have personally had to del all monkeys when someone monkeycubed over a hundred of them due to the horrendous lag. It happens and Saegrimr's response was absolutely acceptable.

It would have begun lagging if they were left much longer due to, I think, their effect on atmos processing. Antags are specifically not allowed to crash the server.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
UtterNewbie

Post by UtterNewbie » #37971

There wasn't horrendous lag. There was a tiny lag spike the moment they spawned. You are making it up.

Nobody was trying to crash the server. Again it takes thousands of mobs to slow it to unplayable levels. and you will sooner die of boredom than make it crash with monkeys. Not around 100. There's at least 100 of mobs thanks to high player count and map mobs already, double that is not even noticeable. Stop lying.
scaredofshadows
In Game PermaBanned

Post by scaredofshadows » #37973

UtterNewbie wrote:There wasn't horrendous lag. There was a tiny lag spike the moment they spawned. You are making it up.

Nobody was trying to crash the server. Again it takes thousands of mobs to slow it to unplayable levels. Not around 100. There's at least 100 of mobs thanks to high player count and map mobs already, double that is not even noticeable. Stop lying.
I think the point here is that there wasn't a very good reason for subjecting the server to a possible crash or having the master controller stop firing due to the 100 monkeys spawning in at once.
UtterNewbie

Post by UtterNewbie » #37975

scaredofshadows wrote:I think the point here is that there wasn't a very good reason for subjecting the server to a possible crash or having the master controller stop firing due to the 100 monkeys spawning in at once.
They did not spawn at once, it took 3 lockers to get at least that many. So it was 3x spawn.

The incident occurred after the fact they were spawned and everything was fine, this was mere admin abuse from whoever is responsible.

Mobs don't crash the server in such low amounts, otherwise you would be having daily crashes due to admins spawning oh so funny clown bombs.

Even if it did slow down, which it did not - such slowdowns are caused by a myriad of antag actions such as bombs, plasma fires and singularities. There was absolutely no reason to ruin everything I worked on for the entire round.
scaredofshadows
In Game PermaBanned

Post by scaredofshadows » #37978

UtterNewbie wrote:
scaredofshadows wrote:I think the point here is that there wasn't a very good reason for subjecting the server to a possible crash or having the master controller stop firing due to the 100 monkeys spawning in at once.
They did not spawn at once, it took 3 lockers to get at least that many. So it was 3x spawn.

The incident occurred after the fact they were spawned and everything was fine, this was mere admin abuse from whoever is responsible.

Mobs don't crash the server in such low amounts, otherwise you would be having daily crashes due to admins spawning oh so funny clown bombs.

Even if it did slow down, which it did not - such slowdowns are caused by a myriad of antag actions such as bombs, plasma fires and singularities. There was absolutely no reason to ruin everything I worked on for the entire round.
Do they spawn in dozens of bombs, plasma canisters or singularities?
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #37986

Clowns are simple mobs and have negligible overhead, unlike monkeys.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #38016

I will note that I myself have had to delete traitors singularities specifically because they lagged the server to the point where it was unplayable. I messaged the traitors and notified them that I deleted their work and they were fine with it. If it lags the server and makes it difficult for other people to play badly enough, deleting is always justified. Also noting, taking from experience when another admin accidentally spawned 500 statues, the server most certainly lags much much before a 1000 of a mob. The statues were deleted immediately after the mistake had been made, because the lag was that bad. Admins can see the master controller at all times and when a section jumps, it lags. Machine jumps when the singularities go to town, Air jumps when mass bombings happen (or meteors), and mob jumps when massive amounts of mobs spawn. When these numbers jump (and mob does when anything close to 100 are spawned), the server lags.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #38163

And a point, simple mobs are much easier then normal mobs.

living carbon mobs breath in air, put out co2, have a life() that ticks every second that is hundreds of lines long checking health, consuming reagents, getting hungry, vision, etc.

Humans, Monkeys, slimes, non-apc alien, are on that list.

Monkey's life() is 200 lines, related things that are called in life make up in additional 300 lines.

So 500 some lines of code, called every second, 100 times, = 50,000 lines of code. ran every second. For a prank that wouldn't have even worked.

And you expect the admin to get reprimanded for putting a stop to that?
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #38582

Aran tested this and spawned some 1000 monkeys and we were only at 0.3 delay for Mob. It was hardly noticeable in-game. At 100 monkeys there's virtually no difference to how the server is usually.

A lot of the admins' fear appears to be unfounded.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #38583

100 monkeys don't lag the server, 1000 start making some 10~ CPU rise. I don't mind Saegrimr deleting the monkeys, he was thinking for the best of the server and all the rest of the players, while the OP is only thinking for himself. But I'm annoyed at people talking stuff without knowing here. These images are from sybil, not a local server. 100 monkeys on each turf inside of those 1x1 cells.

tg masterrace baby
I accept donations, click here
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #38584

Neat, that's good to know however i'm still running off what was immediately observed which was 1: Tons of monkeys being spawned in the hallways colliding with everything 2: Significant stuttering (on my end at least) of movement while a ghost. 3: Everything going back to normal once the monkeys were deleted.

If I was wrong to assume based on those three happening then I apologize.
No action was taken against the two botanists other than just PMing them "Hey this is looking like its going to crash the server"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #38595

With that image taken into account, 500 statues still lagged the server to shit on artyom one day. It may have changed, they may be different mobs, but it looks like I was wrong when it comes to monkeys, and I apologize.
UtterNewbie

Post by UtterNewbie » #38612

Aranclanos wrote:I don't mind Saegrimr deleting the monkeys, he was thinking for the best of the server and all the rest of the players, while the OP is only thinking for himself.
Thanks for the testing. I knew for a fact that monkeys did not lag the server and stated it many times here and in the ahelps, since I seen monkey spam many times before in game. There was no intent to lag the server and it did not lag the server, the only "for myself" thinking I did was related to sabotaging crew escaping by monkey spam, playing my role as an antagonist. Which I think is much more fun for everyone than murderboning or bombing things.

Anyway I'm satisfied with how this was resolved.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #38738

NikNakFlak wrote:With that image taken into account, 500 statues still lagged the server to shit on artyom one day. It may have changed, they may be different mobs, but it looks like I was wrong when it comes to monkeys, and I apologize.
Well hostile mobs are a lot different, because they search for targets all around them, I welcome anyone to test it -on a local server- and play around with these kind of things, here:
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station
There's a button mid-right of that page stating 'download ZIP', you have to compile it with dream maker and then open it with dream deamon, remember to add yourself to the admin.txt before running dream deamon so you have buttons.
I accept donations, click here
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #38744

I've already tested this kind of thing, it lags horribly if you have a hundred hostile mobs running around, even on local. And heaven forbid you have another one hundred of a different type of hostile mob (Ex. Syndicate vs Xenomorphs.) next to the first one hundred. It's horrendous.
:^)
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #38795

Atnos processing isn't even taken to account on umsimulated turfs on centcom, and space may be simpler than it interacting with the actual station, so I would recommend running another test on the actual station.

I've personally seen 100-150 monkey cubed monkeys bring the server to a crawl until they were deleted but it may have been combined with other factors.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #38869

I feel the need to specify that this complaint isn't enough to take action against Saeg. At worst, he was wrong about an issue of server crashing. Next time find a different plan to do. This isn't like a traitor releasing the singularity and us deleting it, this is like a traitor introducing a potentially-crash-inducing script into Telecoms or doing some exploit and having us delete that. Even if it wouldn't crash us because TG stronk, it's an understandable concern and you'd really regret it if we weren't so keen on preventing the game from fucking up.
RIP