[BlessedHeretic] Spawning things that kill players FNR

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: [BlessedHeretic] Spawning things that kill players FNR

Post by Saegrimr » #53121

Have you tried not walking into the supermatter shard?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
BlessedHeretic
Byond Username: BlessedHeretic

Post by BlessedHeretic » #53123

The super matter shard was a mistake, and not intentionally meaning to do nearly what it did. The chaplain had been praying and offering things up, along with other players in the "faith" to obtain "Ultimate power". Seeing how super shards are technically ultimate power. I gave them one.

What I did not know, was the fact super shards generate their own heat, plasma and oxygen which effectively make them go critical if left unattended. I had thought leaving it alone would make it a self gibbing tool which would need emitter shots or otherwise stupidity to cause the destruction it weaved. However, I don't think you should be blaming me for walking into a super matter shard on your own accord. It's not like I forced you into it.

As for clowns and other events : Yes, I do tend to do these things during extended. Not sure why you'd complain against clowns in extended.

Also : After the incident , we tested the shard and found a bunch of issues with them. Firstly, they don't seem containable at all. Secondly, even if you space the damn thing when it goes critical, they rad the station. Niknak and I tested it on cent comm, and the rads still hit the station. From Cent Comm. Shit's broken.
BlessedHeretic

Post by BlessedHeretic » #53132

Delicious wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Have you tried not walking into the supermatter shard?
Why are you attempting to misplace blame on the players, instead of the admin who spawned it?
BlessedHeretic wrote:However, I don't think you should be blaming me for walking into a super matter shard on your own accord. It's not like I forced you into it.
The change is about 8 days old. You can't blame players for not knowing what it does yet, and testing it out. We can blame you for knowingly spawning an object that kills or debilitates a bunch of people.
BlessedHeretic wrote:As for clowns and other events : Yes, I do tend to do these things during extended. Not sure why you'd complain against clowns in extended.
Probably because they're entirely unnecessary, overpowered and killed a bunch of people. Not sure why you'd spawn those things and not expect people to complain. It was obvious you did it for your personal amusement, knowing they were OP and would kill a bunch of people.
BlessedHeretic wrote:After the incident , we tested the shard and found a bunch of issues with them.
I know you want to try to shift blame onto an object in the code, but the fact is you spawned it, knowing it had the power to gib people who clicked it and cause huge radiation damage to the people in its proximity, as well as hallucination damage to people on the same z-level. This is presumably the reason you spawned it, for your own amusement.
Things I knew about the shard before experimenting with it with Niknak : Walking into the shard caused someone to turn to ash, Touching it made a large radiation pulse, and finally when it exploded it'd cause mind breaker toxins rads to fester.

That was the extent of my knowledge on supermatter shards, other than the fact it was also meant to be used as a power source.

Again, when being prayed to for "Ultimate power" giving the shard sounded reasonable, because I thought it was benign unless someone intentionally abused it. Which was incorrect.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #53133

Just gonna make this clear because blessed was talking to me about this over teamspeak and then we tested stuff with it the round after.

He didn't know what it did either. He knew it would gib people who touched it, and he knew it would spew radiation if it was touched. He did not know it would explode if left un-attended and he did not know that it passively radiated people. As for clowns on extended, I don't have much of an opinion on that. Clowns can be pretty destructive but also are quite weak, in hindsight maybe the spawning could be toned down alittle. Quite frankly, the supermatter crystal is very broken in the way it works. Not alot of people, including alot of admins really knows what it does (until today when I did alot of testing with it.) Heck, it doesn't even matter what Z-level the thing is on, it could explode on centcom and it would still hallucinate the station. When you say he spawned it knowing it had the power to gib, cause huge radiation damage, and hallucination damage, this has both truth and miscommunication to it.

Did he know it gibbed people who clicked it? Yes, he figured it would be a choice for players to click it
Did he know it caused radiation damage to people around it? No, he thought it only did that when people clicked it.
Did he know it caused hallucination damage to people on the same z-level? Yes, but only if it exploded, and he thought it would only do that if someone "started it". He did not know it passively heated itself.

So really, blessed shoudn't spawn things for players when he didn't know the entire function of said object, but you can't claim malicious intent for lack of information. One is a mistake while the other is malicious intent which I believe blessed did not have. The round after the one you are complaining about, Blessed and I did indeed test the crystal to understand what it does and not only is it dangerous, it is also very broken in certain ways.

I feel this admin complaint is valid in the fact that spawning a dangerous object with not complete knowledge of said object is a bad idea, but I don't think this is anything to get deadminned over. I believe these actions were not malicious.
BlessedHeretic

Post by BlessedHeretic » #53142

Delicious wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:Clowns can be pretty destructive but also are quite weak
They most certainly are not. Even one clown takes a lot of attacks for a crewmember to kill, and BlessedHeretic spawned tens of them. During those rounds, individual crewmembers were being chased by several at once. Even if you managed to kill one, you would most certainly be critted by the others. Many players were.
NikNakFlak wrote:He knew it would gib people who touched it, and he knew it would spew radiation if it was touched.
This alone makes it a very overpowered and unfair item for an admin to spawn. He knew the damage it would cause, and yet he did it anyway.
NikNakFlak wrote:you can't claim malicious intent for lack of information
Uh, based on the clowns he spawned in previous rounds, and the fact he knew if people clicked this object that it would gib them, even though the object is brand new and there's nothing intuitive about it to indicate clicking it gibs you, he had malicious intent. He spawned this object knowing it would fuck over players. Presumably because that was what he wanted to see.
You're leaving out information during the clown events. Such as the fact it's during extended, so there are no antagonists to challenge the crew. And the way you're wording it is like I just spawn clowns in hallways and then poof, grieff. Not the case. During any event where i've used clowns as a round event, I've placed them in a contained area, usually surrounding it with wooden barricades, clown statues and what not surround them. Clowns are not automatically hostile to the crew either, they are passive until damaged.
Sven12
Byond Username: Exalted12

Post by Sven12 » #53143

Clown mobs aren't even robust.
Sven Brunner, Beheader of Personnel, CKey: Exalted12
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #53163

Saegrimr wrote:Have you tried not walking into the supermatter shard?

I mean, you could ahelp what a shard does, or just ask IC what it does before tossing yourself at it.
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #53167

Pretty sure I was the sec officer who was (un)lucky enough to survive the blast, but kept having hilarious hallucinations that the captain was beating him over and over, constantly. Wasnt really a big deal to me, however, not sure why you'd spawn something in knowing a "secondary potential traitor use" would potentially be an xboxheug explosion. You may as well have gave him a bunch of bombs hoping he'd just take them to the mining asteroid and-SURPRISE-didnt.

Just, like, give him one of those toy nuke things instead next time.
/vg/station Head Admin
BlessedHeretic

Post by BlessedHeretic » #53176

mrpain wrote:Pretty sure I was the sec officer who was (un)lucky enough to survive the blast, but kept having hilarious hallucinations that the captain was beating him over and over, constantly. Wasnt really a big deal to me, however, not sure why you'd spawn something in knowing a "secondary potential traitor use" would potentially be an xboxheug explosion. You may as well have gave him a bunch of bombs hoping he'd just take them to the mining asteroid and-SURPRISE-didnt.

I thought the explosion was caused by emitter fire and fucking up from there, turned out, it heats itself up and causes itself to explode. Again, was a terrible mistake. It was mostly meant to be a literal response to "ultimate power". It was never intended to explode, more or less to act as a item of worship.
mrpain

Post by mrpain » #53239

BlessedHeretic wrote:
mrpain wrote:Pretty sure I was the sec officer who was (un)lucky enough to survive the blast, but kept having hilarious hallucinations that the captain was beating him over and over, constantly. Wasnt really a big deal to me, however, not sure why you'd spawn something in knowing a "secondary potential traitor use" would potentially be an xboxheug explosion. You may as well have gave him a bunch of bombs hoping he'd just take them to the mining asteroid and-SURPRISE-didnt.

I thought the explosion was caused by emitter fire and fucking up from there, turned out, it heats itself up and causes itself to explode. Again, was a terrible mistake. It was mostly meant to be a literal response to "ultimate power". It was never intended to explode, more or less to act as a item of worship.
Well, lesson learned. I think we're all still learning how the thing works. I, for one, didnt know the thing lets off DEATH levels of toxins until then, either.
/vg/station Head Admin
mrpain

Post by mrpain » #53811

Delicious wrote:Sorry guys, but I see through you ignoring this thread. You're going to have to find a different strategy to deal with this complaint.
Go into adminbus and link someone the thread, maybe.
/vg/station Head Admin
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #53842

Complaints really aren't worth anything until you bring them up to hornygranny/SoS, the only people with authority to deal with admins doing something bad. I don't think any of the headmins viciously browse this forum, and probably assumed it was being worked out, but I'll direct an0n3 this way.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #53844

I think I've been at the butb end of some of these "events" from Blessed.

All I'll contribute is that those NPC clowns are very robust, anyone who says otherwise has clearly not fought a mob of them before. Not only are they faster than the player, and capable of moving through space. But they can destroy any walls or rwalls in their path and deal robust damage per hit. Only the Head of Security or Captain stands any chance of survival against a mob of NPC Clowns.

I greatly appricate it when admins do something to try and end a long and stale round, but there's a worlds difference between shoving 50 NPC Clowns on the station and killing everyone versus something less powerful.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #53869

You don't need to beg anyone to do their jobs. The admin you complained about came and talked about it, a few others weighed in as well.

The only job that's left to be done is locking this thread. So since it's been a few days without further discussion, I'll do that now.

EDIT: Since Delicious PM'ed me asking for a more clear resolution

It was explained by other admins ITT that sometimes people die during events to get the shuttle called/try to end the round, etc.
In your specific example it was just as much your fault that you died as anyone else's. The next time you see a mysterious new object in game you might think twice about running up and touching it. I don't see anything that constitutes serious admin abuse. I will caution Blessed about the scale and survivability of his events but otherwise this thread is way too vague and anecdotal to result in anything actionable.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: