[ScaredOfShadows]Griffing and abuse of power

RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Re: [ScaredOfShadows]Griffing and abuse of power

Post by RG4 » #58190

Bottom post of the previous page:

Violaceus wrote:I think SoS should play some security in high population rounds and see how does it feel.
Mix in some Rev and Cult and you got the perfect storm of empathy.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #58197

That would actually be amazing, especially becuase it isn't an administrative power reduction which is problematic. It is still a self enforced punishment, but one intended to instill some empathy with what is ultimately an important role that has a lot of design based around them actually trying to do their job well.

It really is something every admin should try, getting on all sides of legitimate play as much as possible.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #58203

Violaceus wrote:I think SoS should play some security in high population rounds and see how does it feel.
Poetic justice.
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #58204

I propose a jobban from all roles except those related to Security.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #58213

What good would that do?

This isn't something that you can fix with a jobban. He violated the trust we put in our host. The best solution I can see right now is not playing security while I see him in OOC.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #58215

Job ban isnt really appropriate. He abused his admin powers, not job position.
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #58229

Sec is the most unrewarding shit right after 95% of the AI rounds.
Some people should really try it from time to time.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #58237

Alex Crimson wrote:Job ban isnt really appropriate. He abused his admin powers, not job position.
Sum Ting Wong wrote:What good would that do?

This isn't something that you can fix with a jobban. He violated the trust we put in our host. The best solution I can see right now is not playing security while I see him in OOC.
While of course it doesn't adress the underlying problem of course, it still has merit because I don't think SoS apreciates what security players actually have to deal with or how they view the station from both this situation and conversations we have had in the past. We used to regularly talk about the job in the day when he poked his head into bus and I think it is clear he doesn't empathize with the job at all, which is pretty bad when you get to write policy for the job. You need to write rules from everyone's perspective, not in a manner adversarial to the role, even if they do need limits or nerfs.

I think it is a good policy in general, trying to play a role that you have an antagonistic relationship towards so that you understand it better. Both so you mellow out and so you can understand how to screw with them better when it is really time to throw down.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #58248

If the host doesn't want to play by the rules then there's nothing stopping him from removing the ban entirely. We have no way to enforce it unless he agrees to it.
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #58256

Well he did agree to being subjected to admin judgement, didn't he?
Anyway, is there any place where I can see SoS' take on this?
What does he want to do with sec? What's his beef with it?
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #58259

Sum Ting Wong wrote:If the host doesn't want to play by the rules then there's nothing stopping him from removing the ban entirely. We have no way to enforce it unless he agrees to it.
We could always find a new host, although that's a bad thing because he is a really good host, just a contender for the Matt Hoff shitty mime of the year trophy and apparently doesn't understand that acting like an antag by abusing admin powers tends to get you treated as one and there may be something wrong with his playstyle.
Whoisthere wrote:What does he want to do with sec? What's his beef with it?
He doesn't like security, at all, especially if they are being "powergamers" which is usually when when he gets caught out being a complete shitler and should just take the arrest instead of abusing his admin powers to try and escape and get dunked by a sec player that was following the rules.

This basically happens every 6 months but this might be the first time we actually solve anything rather than just unbanning someone and forgetting about it.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #58260

SCAREDY IS ROGUE
BLOW THE ADMINS
BLOW ME FIRST

This is gay. This is so gay it surpasses faggotry and descends into the butttickling fuckleduckle asscrackle sparky snowflake chocolate realm. Anyone involved with all of this buttfiddlery should be ashamed of themselves.
I am so ashamed of you guys, myself, the community, scaredy, Bill Cosby and Allah right now. This is where we end up after all these years. Ass.
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #58262

KingLouisXIV wrote:I propose a jobban from all roles except those related to Security.
This is the kind of thing it would end on a positive note for everyone. SoS pays for what he did in a fun way, the ammount of tension decreases, and maybe after some games as security, SoS has a new look on their hard work.
Spinecone

Post by Spinecone » #58306

...Really?

This is what it's come to? This is how /tg/ has ended up?

I don't think I have the words for how absolutely appalled I am.

Y'know, when I played here with any regularity, this was the server that trumpeted itself as "The Vanilla SS13 experience!" with "Democratically elected admins" and an "Active and friendly playerbase", and yet somehow, incredibly, you're reduced to THIS?!

Frankly, I don't understand why the response to this hasn't been an immediate cessation of support and collaboration with SoS's server, the establishment of a new server, with a new host, fueled by donations if necessary, and the permanent severing of ties with SoS. For all the people saying how "We can't remove the host!" and "Host can do anything because he's the host", you are aware that after the host for Phoenix station unexpectedly stepped down, the chief admin had taken over hosting duties and it was business as usual within a matter of days, right?

No, you can't directly kick/ban the host. But you don't have to get your hosting from him, it's not like he's got some kind of vendor lock-in over you, and quite frankly, the credibility of this place cannot withstand a scandal like this.

/tg/ used to be a joke among other, bigger servers. The denizens of /vg/, Phoenix, Paradise, Goon, Bay and the other, smaller servers would happily swap stories and chat about the latest shitstorm that went on over here. Now, it's just gotten to the point where no-one gives enough of a damn about you to talk about you. The previously unbelievable, shocking, endlessly amusing level of internal drama on here that previously left this place in the same position as that one loner in the class who desperately tries to be funny, but that absolutely no one likes and just keeps shoving over every time he comes near them, has just become accepted as business as usual to the point where it's not even worth talking about anymore.

This place is nothing. No-one but those who make it up pay it any regard in, or as part of, the wider SS13 community, and nor does anyone here seem to give a crap about the wider sphere of players of the game they once claimed to champion. "Vanilla SS13 experience", don'tcha know.

Do the right thing, salvage some credibility, ditch the shit, start fresh, and maybe people will talk about this place again in anything other than passing, in the same way one might discuss the weather before moving on to a topic they actually care about.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to either laugh until I vomit, or cry into a tub of ice cream. I'm not entirely sure which.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #58341

Maybe it's because I haven't been playing much lately due to being busy with real life stuff, but I honestly don't think this is the scandal worthy of crowdfunding a new server, etc etc let alone talking about it. /tg/ has made it through a lot worse dramabombs than this and perhaps the best way of reacting to Scaredy being childish is everyone else acting like adults and not trying to start a 2d spessmens community revolution?

Scaredy was a shitlord and has agreed to have his punishment be left to our elected headmin triumvirate. If the headmins choose a satisfying punishment and SoS actually obeys it then we can all move along.

Either way I think Scaredy should take a break for a while. That badmin itch comes long sometimes and the only solution is to scratch it (infuriating the player base) or ignore it (not signing on for a while). He's also been playing a lot lately. Maybe during his break he can play security on a few servers where he has no admin powers or authority if he wants his spessmens.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #58343

Well, SoS pays the costs to keep these servers running, and hasn't much time to play the game until recently. He is more active now.

I propose we allow one day of evreey month to allow SoS to do whatever he wants and let it go 100% unpunished. We should call it Scaredy's Reaping Day. The benevolent overlord named SoS is coming to satisfy his necessities. It must feed on the playerbase. Good day, and may God chelp us all.
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #58345

That actually sounds amusing. /tg/ becomes goon for a day.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #58353

That's like the plot to a movie, the purge? never watched it but the commercial implies it.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #58356

The amount of rediculous strawmanning in this thread is absurd.

Who gives a fuck if SoS joins once in a blue moon and fucks with people. As far as I'm concerned, admins should do it more often.
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #58368

Alright.
Now, I understand that SoS did wrong and people got upset and all that, but...

Don't you guys think you're going too far? The server is probably the best one available and SoS pays it all for us. It is technically his own server.

Now, as I haven't been here in ages, how many times did stuff like this happen?
Spinecone

Post by Spinecone » #58406

iRazgriz wrote:Alright.

Don't you guys think you're going too far? The server is probably the best one available and *snip*
...Are you actually, properly serious?

You did see the part I wrote about being the laughing stock of just about every other SS13 server out there, right? This place is held in about the same regard as NoX and Yogstation.

That's why I'm suggesting you take the chance to reap some good publicity and fix this shit, for once in this communities lifetime, instead of aggravating it.

See, this is what I'm meaning about how you exist in your own little bubble, with no idea. You're blindly claiming to be "Probably the best available", when this place has nothing it does better than other servers.
Last edited by Spinecone on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #58411

oranges wrote: Who gives a fuck if SoS joins once in a blue moon and fucks with people. As far as I'm concerned, admins should do it more often.
We're not goonstation. We also shouldn't be pushing for semi-serious RP and punishing greytiding shits if the host wants to keep doing stuff like this.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #58427

Spinecone wrote: ...Are you actually, properly serious?

You did see the part I wrote about being the laughing stock of just about every other SS13 server out there, right? This place is held in about the same regard as NoX and Yogstation.

That's why I'm suggesting you take the chance to reap some good publicity and fix this shit, for once in this communities lifetime, instead of aggravating it.

See, this is what I'm meaning about how you exist in your own little bubble, with no idea. You're blindly claiming to be "Probably the best available", when this place has nothing it does better than other servers.
My post was basically in response to your earlier one, but as usual my call for reason is ignored.

If this is your attitude then just leave. Who gives a flying fuck about other servers and what other "communities" think of people who typically play here? If we were some other server this thread would be linked on the sub-digg already and be a clusterfuck of drama hungry losers who think any of this matters. It doesn't. SoS was a dick and decided to leave a proper punishment up to the headmins, which is the absolutely best possible solution that could happen here. This isn't the end of the world, nor the end of the server.

My comments are also directed at a lot of other people in this thread, including some other admins. Holy shit guys this isn't a big deal, it's gonna get dealt with. If it doesn't get dealt with to your liking, go play somewhere else or at the very least take a break for a bit.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #58465

QuartzCrystal wrote: My post was basically in response to your earlier one, but as usual my call for reason is ignored.

If this is your attitude then just leave. Who gives a flying fuck about other servers and what other "communities" think of people who typically play here? If we were some other server this thread would be linked on the sub-digg already and be a clusterfuck of drama hungry losers who think any of this matters. It doesn't. SoS was a dick and decided to leave a proper punishment up to the headmins, which is the absolutely best possible solution that could happen here. This isn't the end of the world, nor the end of the server.

My comments are also directed at a lot of other people in this thread, including some other admins. Holy shit guys this isn't a big deal, it's gonna get dealt with. If it doesn't get dealt with to your liking, go play somewhere else or at the very least take a break for a bit.
It matters within the context of this server and the people who play on it.

Drama blowout aside there are several problems here that may result in a decline of the quality of gameplay on this server.

The first is that the host himself broke the server rules. SoS is accountable to nobody, and ultimately owes nobody anything, but at the same time he's the one who agrees to establishing a stable set of rules here. If he doesn't agree to them or simply doesn't care it sets a precedent that the Host can't be trusted. A punishment doesn't matter at this point because a) they only apply when he agrees to them and b) he ultimately has nothing to learn from it. Regular players have been on the receiving end of bans over situations like this in the past, and while this is the first time he's been sufficiently called out on it, this situation fuels the stereotype that admins harbor grudges or can't be trusted to hold fair judgement.

The second is that more than a few players here are totally fine with what has happened. Looking at this thread I can already see that more than half of the people here would rather downplay this entire situation without taking it seriously. Are you guys honestly ok with the server owner unfairly fucking around with the playerbase?

I don't give a shit about this political garbage anymore, I just want this crap to stop.
Last edited by Sum Ting Wong on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #58466

Spinecone wrote:

But if the other servers are so much better, why aren't you there shitposting on their forums? I like it. It's one of the few that would even bother putting up with me. You saying we are shit is insulting to me because I try to contribute in any way I can. I might not be well liked; there are people who don't want me around here. But this is my favorite place to play spacemans and the only place I've done so for the longest. I actually came from NoX. That was home for a long time. I've also watched YogStation slowly decline. Maybe you haven't been to either of them and talk straight out of your busted 2x4 block of an ass, but it's an insult to say that we are as bad as those have gotten. Since you obviously hate this place and don't care, whatever server you whack your limp dick to in praise, fuck off over there right away and go shot post there.
Spinecone

Post by Spinecone » #58468

Fragnostic wrote: But if the other servers are so much better, why aren't you there shitposting on their forums? I like it. It's one of the few that would even bother putting up with me. You saying we are shit is insulting to me because I try to contribute in any way I can. I might not be well liked; there are people who don't want me around here. But this is my favorite place to play spacemans and the only place I've done so for the longest. I actually came from NoX. That was home for a long time. I've also watched YogStation slowly decline. Maybe you haven't been to either of them and talk straight out of your busted 2x4 block of an ass, but it's an insult to say that we are as bad as those have gotten. Since you obviously hate this place and don't care, whatever server you whack your limp dick to in praise, fuck off over there right away and go shot post there.
Cos this place was my home. And I don't want to see it go to shit like it has, is doing, and is continuing to do. I've just run out of patience and politeness in articulating myself.
Sensible Person wrote: It matters within the context of this server and the people who play on it.

Drama blowout aside there are several problems here that may result in a decline of the quality of gameplay on this server.

The first is that the host himself broke the server rules. SoS is accountable to nobody, and ultimately owes nobody anything, but at the same time he's the one who agrees to establishing a stable set of rules here. If he doesn't agree to them or simply doesn't care it sets a precedent that the Host can't be trusted. A punishment doesn't matter at this point because a) they only apply when he agrees to them and b) he ultimately has nothing to learn from it. Regular players have been on the receiving end of bans over situations like this in the past, and while this is the first time he's been sufficiently called out on it, this situation fuels the stereotype that admins harbor grudges or can't be trusted to hold fair judgement.

The second is that more than a few players here are totally fine with what has happened. Looking at this thread I can already see that more than half of the people here would rather downplay this entire situation without taking it seriously. Are you guys honestly ok with the server owner unfairly fucking around with the playerbase?

I don't give a shit about this political garbage anymore, I just want this crap to stop.
What this fine gentlemen said.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #58508

It doesn't matter at this point. I'm tired of wasting energy on this shit when people don't bother to listen.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #58511

Fragnostic wrote:Well, SoS pays the costs to keep these servers running, and hasn't much time to play the game until recently. He is more active now.

I propose we allow one day of evreey month to allow SoS to do whatever he wants and let it go 100% unpunished. We should call it Scaredy's Reaping Day. The benevolent overlord named SoS is coming to satisfy his necessities. It must feed on the playerbase. Good day, and may God chelp us all.
oranges wrote:The amount of rediculous strawmanning in this thread is absurd.

Who gives a fuck if SoS joins once in a blue moon and fucks with people. As far as I'm concerned, admins should do it more often.
What kind of logic is this? He pays for the server. That is it. He isnt the head of the community nor is there, as far as i know, any agreement that he should be allowed to abuse his admin powers whenever he wants. Its not like this was an event where an admin does something fun. This was just SoS fucking with something he doesnt like and abusing admin powers whenever he was caught.

You are all a bunch of kiss-asses who wouldnt be saying stuff like this if it wasnt the server host.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #58523

Alex Crimson wrote:You are all a bunch of kiss-asses who wouldnt be saying stuff like this if it wasnt the server host.
That's kind of EXACTLY what they're implying though. It IS because he's the server host. You even directly quoted them saying that.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #58530

and im saying we have a problem when people think its ok for someone to abuse the community just because they pay for the server. Especially when that someone has often complained about the lack of roleplay on the server.

In my opinion SoS should have his admin privileges removed until he feels that he can use them without doing stuff like this.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #58566

I'm just saying the attitude of "fuck da police" come from the top down.
Security has always been the most griffable department since the beginning.

Granted, I haven't been told to "git gud" from an admin PM against a non-antag since uterus station.
But admins with bias against the entire department, even the ones trying to do a good job has always been a reality, Like XSI going full blown rogue to free a criminal who wasn't even being executed.
Or Uhangi possessing a door and letting himself out to then team up with flensing(2beard If I recall) and rampage against the machine.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #58589

Spinecone wrote:
iRazgriz wrote:Alright.

Don't you guys think you're going too far? The server is probably the best one available and *snip*

I played on a lot of servers and basically only on /tg/ I really enjoyed my time. In my opinion it's the best server around.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #58590

Spinecone wrote: -snip-
The only time I've seen /tg/station mentioned in other communities in the negative is when something subjectively bad is merged and people complain about it, such as the space wind change.

Most people in other SS13 communities talk about their own community, not going on rants about other one's.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #58613

We used to be 'that' ERP server, yeah? Also most of the laughing comes from /vg/station.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #58614

Honestly I think removing his admin status for a week and jobbanning from all roles besides security is a fine punishment

SoS seems to be a little out of the loop regarding security, how hard it is to do properly, and how many issues we had before with people greytiding and doing a lot of the stuff he was doing, as for all the admin abuse stuff, well, that's a different story, but I'm pretty certain if any other player did what he did regarding the interfering with security arresting people all the time, they would net an assistant jobban pretty quickly
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #58623

He could probably buy a decent car for the money he spent hosting, I'm fine with his sheenanighans as long as he doesn't fuck security players' life up too badly.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Money talks, man.
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #58628

--
Last edited by Sum Ting Wong on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #58647

Sum Ting Wong wrote:It doesn't matter at this point. I'm tired of wasting energy on this shit when people don't bother to listen.
You say you want to leave the drama blowout aside and then you comment with dramatic comments like this.

Ok so here's how I see the situation:

People do stupid things sometimes. In the, now well over, year that i've been playing on the /tg/ servers this has been the only time I have seen or even heard of SoS abusing his powers. Generally he has been either removed from any real input to the community or has actively sought feedback and change, normally via voted for headadmins. Making this more like a comity, than the dictatorship people seem to be implying.
However that said I'm not, and neither are the headmins, condoning these actions. They we're obviously abuse of power, SoS obviously realises this as well or would have not asked for a discussion to be made out of his hands.

What I'm trying to get across is, as with other admins who have made stupid mistakes in the past, we give them another chance, one to correct the mistakes they made. As we also do with other players through the ban appeal process. We are a community, not a business, we don't have zero tolerance steadfast rules.

And sure, you may say as SoS is the host there is little to be done, however I find this argument invalid. As others have said SoS is NOT the community or code project. There are others that can host. Don't get me wrong, no one is ungrateful for the money, time and effort SoS has put in as a host, but there really is no need to see this situation as a mountain when its just a little mole hill.

TLDR: Give the heads time to come to a decision on what to do. People deserve second chances. This certainly isn't the end of the community or even the server. Settle down and stop making drama.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #58663

peoplearestrange wrote: You say you want to leave the drama blowout aside and then you comment with dramatic comments like this.
Sorry for the drama, I take this stuff too seriously. I'll try and cut out the rhetoric too.
peoplearestrange wrote: What I'm trying to get across is, as with other admins who have made stupid mistakes in the past, we give them another chance, one to correct the mistakes they made. As we also do with other players through the ban appeal process. We are a community, not a business, we don't have zero tolerance steadfast rules.
I started playing here four years ago when TLE had volunteered to host the server in place of ChicagoTed. One of the things that I have observed is that /tg/station doesn't like to cast out anybody forever. Players like SAC or dante had been given many chances here even while seriously breaking server rules, same thing with admins. These were problem players, they disrupted many rounds and lacked empathy towards other players, but they were normally allowed to return under written apology. A large percentage of that specific player-group would often return to their regular styles of play. During those four years I also noticed that these players had a better chance of removing themselves out of boredom rather than admin intervention. People would come and go from this community every year but these things remained static, at least from my perspective.

The point I am trying to make is that second or third given chances don't mean much to me as a player anymore. Promising a punishment or headmin decision doesn't either. I don't have a problem with SoS specifically but I do with the way the server has remained for a long period of time, and frankly I believe that the way we handle admin/player punishments has a lot to do with that. It would mean more to me if this never happened again rather than somebody drafting up a well written apology or trial, I think a few other people might feel the same.

That being said I'll quit harping on about it.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #58665

This reminds me of an incident on Paradise...
:^)
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #58667

Sum Ting Wong wrote: Sorry for the drama, I take this stuff too seriously. I'll try and cut out the rhetoric too.
No problem. I'd like to see some genuine discussion over this, as there has been. If things are broken then hopefully we can change things up. It's always going to be a process of constant change whatever we do.
Sum Ting Wong wrote: I started playing here four years ago when TLE had volunteered to host the server in place of ChicagoTed. One of the things that I have observed is that /tg/station doesn't like to cast out anybody forever. Players like SAC or dante had been given many chances here even while seriously breaking server rules, same thing with admins. These were problem players, they disrupted many rounds and lacked empathy towards other players, but they were normally allowed to return under written apology. A large percentage of that specific player-group would often return to their regular styles of play. During those four years I also noticed that these players had a better chance of removing themselves out of boredom rather than admin intervention. People would come and go from this community every year but these things remained static, at least from my perspective.

The point I am trying to make is that second or third given chances don't mean much to me as a player anymore. Promising a punishment or headmin decision doesn't either. I don't have a problem with SoS specifically but I do with the way the server has remained for a long period of time, and frankly I believe that the way we handle admin/player punishments has a lot to do with that. It would mean more to me if this never happened again rather than somebody drafting up a well written apology or trial, I think a few other people might feel the same.

That being said I'll quit harping on about it.
I can see what you mean being that the punishments can seem threat-less when they eventually expire. But I think this boils down to that griefers/trouble makers generally don't come back and when they do it normally only effects a single round of the game. While this is frustrating and really really irritating it isn't something that is constant. By which I mean I have played rounds have the been thoroughly wrecked and ruined and really pissed me off in the process, however these shit times have always been out weighted by the huge number of great, fun and interesting rounds that this community and its admins and events have produced in the process.

What I mean is, like any game, there will be people who will try to spoil it, and thankfully these things don't happen all that much.
And if anything is to be learnt from this situation we will surely change it up and try to move forward.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #58691

Honestly, I think SoS is barking up the wrong bush. He always seemed like such a level headed guy, but I guess he was really a wolf in sheeps clothing. Even as the host, even if he does a lot for this community, his actions can only be described as dog shit.

That said, its not too late for the old dog to learn new tricks. I think just a little bit of time in the dog house would improve his behavior and get him out of the wolf pack mentality that is greytiding.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #58695

I don't think a lot of people would be opposed to SoS appearing periodically to goof off and abuse his powers to do weird things as long as they were silly or good natured.

The issue here is that this was somewhat vindictive and was about hampering/punishing some players rather than using your goofy buttons and ideas to make people laugh.

The Golden Rule of any kind of abuse or rule-breaking is that if the people it was done to enjoyed it, then it's probably okay. If I wander into the server, announce it's GOOFY TIME, undo my belt, and flood the halls with killer goats that's kinda shitty. But if everyone finds that hilarious and nobody feels upset or left out, then we've won and my dumb idea became a good idea.

It doesn't appear this event was an attempt at that, though.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #58723

The three head admins have decided on the following resolutions:

1. SoS will no longer have admin powers in-game. His rank will be reduced to a role similar to an AdminObserver. He will maintain an "administrator" rank, but he will have almost none of the powers associated with it.

2. SoS will take on a less active role in leading the administration. His role in the community will strictly be advisory and custodial.

3. SoS will be given a dayban from the server for his actions as a player.

We thank SoS for all that he has done for the server, but these are the judgements that we have deemed appropriate given his actions in game.

If anyone has any further complaints or concerns, send me a PM.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #58724

Seems like a fair outcome.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit