[QuartzCrystal] Stuns and Guns

Retroboards

[QuartzCrystal] Stuns and Guns

Post by Retroboards » #81167

Byond account and character name: Retroboards - Stuns and Guns
Admin: quartzcrystal
Time incident occured: 8:33 PM EST Saturday 4/8/15

Detailed summary:
Recieved a one day ban for asking simple questions, not being rude and for differences of opinions. He disagreed with my actions as a security officer who arrested the research director in the last 20 seconds of the game. Quartzcrystals claims my inconveniencing of the research director was heavy handed because of reports from Centcomm. The entire round was an admin spawned event where a terrorist group named Splinter was bombing the station.

My ban:
You have been banned by quartzcrystal.
Reason: During an event in which centcom was under attack he saw it fit to arrest the RD who was trying to arm the crew (which was requested by central command to do). Seemingly has no understanding of why his actions were unfun or dickish.

Below is a copy of my logs in pastebin form for review:
http://pastebin.com/S9uGZnXu

I am not complaining about the day ban. I would just like to bring attention to use of admin powers and what qualifies for a ban. I don't always agree with the interpretation of each rule but respect the difficult position they have enforcing. With that said, I feel that administrators are supposed to be impartial in their judgements and that Quartz was not in this case. I answered all of his personal messages promptly and provided logs along with all my answers. He banned me under his interpretation of Rule 1, because my actions were "unfun". Which after a review of the rules (https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules), my actions were not deliberate to ruin everyone's good time. My arrest of the Research Director had no impact on the round given that it was seconds before the shuttle docked. At the end of the round.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: [QuartzCrystal] Stuns and Guns

Post by Stickymayhem » #81214

Reading the logs I noticed other arrests made in a short span. Were these all related to the weapons people had handed out?
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Retroboards

Post by Retroboards » #81227

I as a security officer was sitting in the security area of the escape shuttle and observed a scene where "COMMANDER SLAUGHTER OF CENTRAL COMMAND" was on the escape shuttle. and Merrilyn Hegarty killed him right outside the airlocks of the security area. Following his death, players like Conan, Merrilyn Hegarty, Brody Heckendora,Sloan Cox and a Durand were fighting (beating each other with heavy objects). I used a very controlled method of arrest starting with a flash bang for crowd control. Followed by using a stun baton to arrest the worst of the offenders, starting with Merrilyn Hegarty and Conan. The Research Director was not helping the scene by slapping down guns on a table next to the players fighting. I made one false arrest of the medical officer Uriel Sutton, which after realizing he was not involved I stopped cuffing him and apologized for it. Because it was hard to tell who was all in the fight because of how quickly it occurred.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #81231

I'll direct QuartzCrystal to the thread before any decisions are made
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #81275

OK first of all, I was the one controlling "Commander Slaughter". I was not killed on the shuttle, instead I was pulled to safety and Merrilyn Hegarty was promptly beaten to death (they were an antag, part of the terrorist group).

After I was healed up I continued to order security to hand out weapons as the entire round was leading up to going to CentCom to fight the terrorists who had taken over Central Command. There were CentCom messages leading up to the end of the round ordering the entire crew to be armed and ready to fight.

You decided to arrest the RD who was simply trying to participate in the event.

The complaining player (the RD) adminhelp'd and then next round asked me to talk to you which I agreed to do. You then started off by questioning why I would even bother you over something you did 20 minutes before the end of the round. I was just intending to message you and let you know that you know, sometimes you can really ruin some fun for players by choosing to ignore an obvious event that is happening. You gave me attitude about it and when I asked you to give me a simple yes or no if you understood on any level why I felt it was necessary to message you, you continued to act as if you did nothing wrong (ignoring my question). You then told me to ban you if I thought was appropriate. I did.

Another admin who was on at the time remarked that this was a classic case of someone talking their way from a simple "Hey please don't do that again." warning to a ban.

EDIT: After talking with Sticky I lifted your server ban and applied a 3 day security jobban.
Retroboards

Post by Retroboards » #81280

I just want to start by saying I highly respect the tough job administers have, you included. I now know, you were running an event. Which may have led you to act on prejudice because of it.

My first response to your personal message was to clarify the situation and to clear up any misunderstanding. You were under the impression that I was arbitrarily arresting and harming folks. I had hoped that by providing copy/paste of my logs that it would help to give a clearer explanation. Now that you have had a chance to get the full perspective of what occurred, I hope you can understand why I thought it incredulous that you thought I was being heavy handed. If I came of as rude through my messages, I would like to apologize. Tones are lost in translation. I was surprised my actions warranted such strong reprisal. I have seen security who have acted much worse in game. I felt that you were upset and had already made your decision regardless of what I had to say. I disagreed with your opinion on whether I acted in accordance with the serious nature of playing security. I was responding to extraordinary circumstances, namely the attacking of the centcom official and following fight that occurred. There was even two Durands involved. Had more time been allowed such as a fight on centcomm ather than just a round reset the Research director would have been uncuffed. I feel that I acted in a controlled and calm manner in my actions and acted in accordance with space law. I used non-lethal and the minimum amount of force to take control of situation.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #81414

I was the RD and am highly prone to moaning, but I think it was appropriate in this case due to highly suspect behaviour from the security officer.

Upon being told repeatedly that Centcom is overrun and that we are to arm ourselves to counter an invasion, he "arrests" (stuns and bucklecuffs to a chair in the public area of the shuttle) the Research Director attempting to follow these commands, takes the SMG meant for the counterterrorists and... waits.

He just waits for the shuttle to arrive, whereapon he gleefully unloads it into the Research Director.

Doesn't that seem suspicious to you?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.