Solanah
Byond Username: Solanah

[NikNakFlak] Ruined a new player's experience

Post by Solanah » #102009

Byond account and character name: Solanah / Sapphire Eclipse
Admin: Niknakflak
Time incident occured: Around 1PM BST, 6th of July 2015

Hiyah guys.

Earlier this morning, I hopped onto server 1 (Bagil) as it's quiet around that time, and I had a friend interested in learning to play so naturally I hoped the low player count would mean an extended round.
We joined in the middle of a spider inestation. Okay, no problem, it was apparently triggered since the round was initially full beforehand. Next round starts with only like 4 people on, so I'm sat there thinking (Great, should be peaceful enough to teach my friend now!)

Suddenly I'm antag, despite having that crap switched off. "Just shit luck" I say, and adminhelp letting NikNakFlak know I wanted to defy the role to help teach my friend the game. He/She is cool with that, so they're now aware there's a newbie amongst us. First impressions are obviously important. some time passes, my friend learns the UI quite well, and rejoices over completing his first ever surgery as an assistant doctor.

Someone say's there's a ninja among us. Just what I need when showing a newbie the ropes. Unsurprisingly the ninja comes into the medbay, tases me and teleports me into a sealed room I can't escape from, eventually does the same to my friend. My friend was pretty distressed over it, especially considering how OP the ninja can be. Nothing say's 'fuck you newbie' more than being tased and dragged around by someone who's invisible.

I wasn't very surprised to find the ninja was admin Niknakflak at the end of the round. It might've been RNG, but considering admins have the ability to make ninjas whenever, it seemed all too convenient for Nik to be one on such a quiet round. I was pretty annoyed by it, moreso when my friend said he was done, having gotten a horrible first impression of the game. So I voiced my anger in OOC then left.

I'd like to request logs be checked to make sure it really was RNG, because I'm fairly certain it's against the rules to give yourself an advantage when playing a round as an admin. Nik was participating as a security officer to begin with, I think, before they somehow made the swap to ninja. I don't want to point fingers without evidence, but it feels like they used a command to become such purely just to ruin the round for the newbie.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: [NikNakFlak] Ruined a new player's experience

Post by Steelpoint » #102010

I won't say much, but if NikNak was spectating the round then odds were he became a Ninja because he was spectating.

Here's the thing, antags like Ninja are drawn from people who are observing the round as a ghost, and admins are usually ghosted and observing the round thus we tend to see more admins play these roles because of that.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #102016

Also leaving people in a room they can't get out of is shit
Leaving a brand new player you were specifically told was being taught how to play locked in a room they cant escape from after invisible stuncuffing as a ninja is, i dunno, a sewage plant? Can't think of a decent metaphor for it, but come on, NikNak.

But yes, admins are almost always ninjas/blobs/aliens on basil, because they often just observe the round in ghost mode, and get grabbed by the random event which doesn't care if you're an admin or not.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #102018

I was the mime that round - invisibly tased, energy-netted and sent to the ninja den. To be fair, NikNak could've gone for the 'peasafarulu ninajaru' approach, rather than invisibly kidnapping and attacking people on a ~10-pop round...

But, these things happen. It's part of the SS13 experience to have your round taken from you and destroyed mercilessly. Don't take it personally.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #102022

I'm not sure there is anything here that warrants a formal complaint, admin feedback or a PM to NikNak would have probably done.
You can also check the logs for yourself as they are now public:
https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/
Information thread here:
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4012
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #102023

I never played in that round. I was observing the entire time, doing double duty on sybil. Ninja popped randomly and grabbed the only observer, me. I asked if there was anyone else to take over the ninja in deadchat and checked to see if there was anyone to take over the antagonist but every single person was playing. I then de-adminned and carried out my objectives, which in the case of "being trapped a room you can't get out of" is the place where people who are captured by a capture net for capture points go to, it is not a choice of where they go. The round ended soon after that because someone called the shuttle.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #102026

Being selected for an antagonist and carrying out those objectives should not go into admin feedback as it does not reflect my administrative ability and has nothing to do with it. If you want to get mad at something, get mad at ninja and remove it from random events!
Solanah
Byond Username: Solanah

Post by Solanah » #102027

Well, lost one potential player, and I think I'll find a new server, myself. Cheers for that.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #102028

This is not an admin complaint.

Someone got antag and used it, the end. It's a shame your friend ended up disliking the game but we have rule 3 for a reason. They should be able to cope with losing unfairly and catastrophically or this probably isn't the game for them.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #102034

Unfortunately shit does happen and you just have to roll with the punches, its a shame your friends first experience with the game was a negative one but there's nothing anyone can do about that.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #102035

This is literally complaining about the game mechanics. I don't think a new server would help you much if you're mad about losing in a round of SS13 but good luck. [/admindogpiling]
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.