[DinkleNH] GreyGanon - Note Appeal From a Monkey Round

Appeals which have been closed.
GreyGanon
Byond Username: GreyGanon

[DinkleNH] GreyGanon - Note Appeal From a Monkey Round

Post by GreyGanon » #503043

Byond account and character name: GreyGanon, and Downs-The-Vodka/Monkey (593)

Noting admin: DinkleNH

Note type: Warning

Note content: Suicided in a team based antag round when they started killing themselves, they continued after they turned because "Swinging a synth would normally have signficant momentum, so it makes sense to have some continuation"

Time note was placed: 2019-07-12 21:07:11

Server you were playing when Noted: Bagil

Round ID: 112970

Appealing under Scenario 1 - The note is factually or materially incorrect, and would have a major difference between how an admin who knew all the facts would view you vs how an admin who only had the note to go on would view you.

Your side of the story:
So at roundstart the roundtype is secret with your standard possibilities for a 70 player round listed. I was playing as a Medical Doctor (acting as EMT to recover bodies for cloning and on-site healing if I find people still in crit). A short-ish while into the round, when bringing an assistant back into medbay to defibrilate them, I am accosted by a monkey and bitten when I get cornered in medbay storage. As I have a medical HUD on, I immediately see I've been infected with Monkey Fever, and alert my department and the station through common.

Clearly admemes are afoot.

Trying to think about cures, I come to the conclusion that Botany probably hasn't prioritized bananas, so a banana juice cure wouldn't have been available. On checking with a medhud what the cure was, it only announced "Death". And also that I was already at stage 4/5 which was much faster than previous monkey rounds I was accustomed to. Immediately, I realized that I needed to die, because with two of my companions right there, I was not going to be able to hide and actually contribute anything as a monkey. At least if I died, I'd likely be cloned since I'd been seen bringing in another body to revive them, and one good turn deserves another. Plus I'd warned them I'd been infected, so they were loitering around for what would essentially be a mercy killing.

So I pull out my synth, target my head, probably put on harm intent (I'm not 100% sure I swapped intent, 70% sure though), and started hitting myself. With only two hits down though, I become a monkey and drop everything. And my two companions are right there, and in less than two seconds I knew they'd be on me- in PvP, I'm as robust as a tow rope made of wet tissue paper. In any case, I'd committed, so I decided I should finish the job, pick up the synth and carry on, assisted by my former comrades, now assisted by the CMO. About 3-5 seconds later, I feel the sweet relief of death, only to be followed by the infamous "Hey, do you have a minute?". After back and forth about how I'd committed before the transformation

Now, I am well aware that team antag roles are something you don't suicide/ghost out of. There is likely a record in previous Blood Cult rounds where I've been converted that I do ahelp to request control of my mob be handed to ghosts instead. Had this been a normal round or announced monkeys, I'd likely have not announced my condition, gone into the medbay maint storage area when approaching monkeyism, and requested a ghost take me over so I could watch the carnage someone competent could unleash.

But this... this was an admeme round. Monkeys isn't in rotation naturally. If antags have their rounds ruined by admemes, it can usually qualify them for antag tokens. Obviously I do not expect such from this as a non-antag in that round, but in essence this admeme ruined my non-antag round. I'd have been happy just going around recovering corpses and healing people, any probably getting killed by a nightmare, operative, or some such usual malarkey.

As for the factually incorrect part. I understand the potential for the note to not be removed as it was technically a suicide in a team-antag role, but the note does lack the critical information that it was a MONKEY round. Without the knowledge that it is an admeme round, any other admin looking at the note would see it as someone that makes lame excuses to try and get out of team antag roles. Additionally, it is VERY selective editing of the last response I made to him. I assume that any other admins are able to review tickets from such rounds, but I will provide the full conversation here for context in case not:
Admin PM from-DinkleNH: Hey, got a sec?

PM to-Admins: Yep. I figured that since I was already in the process of beating myself to death with a synth, it'd make sense to be continuing.

Admin PM from-DinkleNH: Killing yourself as soon as you get antag in a team based round is something that you should know not to do.

PM to-Admins: Well I was a medic, scanned myself, and it said the cure was death. Since we know as medics how surgery can fix a romerol infection when zombies are an issue, surely a medic would be keen to apply such a cure.

Admin PM from-DinkleNH: Suiciding before you were a monkey would have been fine, except you continued to kill yourself after you turned.

PM to-Admins: suiciding is considered an ooc action though, whilst death as a cure by self beating still permits cloning, again something that a medic would rely on the proximity of.

Admin PM from-DinkleNH: Please understand that killing yourself before you turned would have been 100% fine. You continued to beat yourself to death after you turned, which was the problem.

PM to-Admins: Swinging a synth would normally have signficant momentum, so it makes sense to have some continuation. Plus, I'd announced myself to my department after noticing my infection, was surrounded by at least two other uninfected who would have beat me down even if I'd stopped and tried to run with basically one hit since I was half-dead before turning. At least on normal team antag rounds I don't like (i.e. blood) I have a history of ahelping for a ghost to take over the role, but in this situation there was basically no way I'd have been able to escape and contribute to the monkey team.

Admin PM from-DinkleNH: "Swinging a synth would normally have signficant momentum, so it makes sense to have some continuation" Fluff wise this works, but the fact that after the 2 second time of you being changed and dropping your synth, you picked it back up and started swinging on yourself whilst standing still. You had enough health to run away from the medstaff, you were only at half health. I will be adding a note to your account for beating yourself to death in a team based antag round.

You can no longer reply to this ticket, please open another one by using the Adminhelp verb if need be.
As you can see, after Dinkle's own answer, the ticket was terminated, preventing me from retorting. Now I can't identify my own health as a monkey as everything gets dropped, and I wasn't paying attention to it when I was beating myself to death as a lizard with a HealthHUD, all I saw was a very red vignette which gave me good reason to believe I was on practically no health and had no hopes of escape. As I had not expected to turn into a monkey so soon, I didn't have any backup plan for "what if I become a monkey before I die", which meant by the time I'd have figured out which direction to run, I'd still have been finished off first (once again, I have the PVP robustness of wet tissue paper). In hindsight, having still been on harm intent from being a lizard, I'd likely have just ended up pushing an assailant along with me, giving them very ample opportunity to finish me off anyway. Additionally, I would not have had enough time to read the "monkey flavour text" that appears on transformation before similarly being killed.

As for anyone curious as to what happened afterwards, my brain was extracted from the monkey and had started cloning (as had been the plan had I died before transformation), but my body/brain was deleted and I was sent back to the lobby.

----

Ultimately what I'm hoping to see is the note removed for it being an admeme round and my course of action being entirely reasonable given the information my character had, or failing that for the note to at least for the note to specify that it was a secret admin spawned monkey round so as to not unjustly influence another admin's reading of the note.

I would also like to add that it appeared from ghost chat that I was not the only person in that round that was disturbed by "suddenly monkeys" and picked the honourable death option (as honourable as death by synthesizer can be). Evidently that round was not well received.
valid-dinkleNH
Byond Username: DinkleNH

Re: [DinkleNH] GreyGanon - Note Appeal From a Monkey Round

Post by valid-dinkleNH » #504109

With only two hits down though, I become a monkey and drop everything. And my two companions are right there, and in less than two seconds I knew they'd be on me- in PvP, I'm as robust as a tow rope made of wet tissue paper. In any case, I'd committed, so I decided I should finish the job, pick up the synth and carry on, assisted by my former comrades, now assisted by the CMO. About 3-5 seconds later
If you had beaten yourself to death before you transformed it would have been 100% fine, but the fact that I watched you get transformed, pick your synth back up and start hitting yourself. Despite the fact that you said during a normal team based round you would ghost, and you saying that there was no way for you to escape doesn't change that you didn't make any attempt, and just continued hitting yourself to crit, and to death after you changed.
my course of action being entirely reasonable given the information my character had
Again, perfectly acceptable if you beat yourself to death before turning, the fact that you did it afterwards is the issue.

I will edit the note to show that it was during an admin spawned monkey round but the note will not be removed.