[Emeraldmoonx] - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, TGMC Game Server Operators, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

emeraldmoonx
 
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am
Byond Username: Emeraldmoonx

[Emeraldmoonx] - Administrator Application

Postby emeraldmoonx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pm #480999

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: emeraldmoonx, seb199212 [very old, over 10 years].

Character name(s): Elric Wolff

Timezone: -5 GMT Eastern Timezone

Discord tag: Emeraldmoonx

Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: I started learning how to mod on BYOND over 10 years ago [yes I'm super ancient for BYOND, sue me]. I've hosted my own games, a lot in what is now called Dragonball Universe. It went through a lot of names over the years. So lots from there, being hoster, and mod/admin on other servers. I've since then also been mod on various BYOND games, the names of those games escape me due to years and so many games coming and going, sorry. I was a super-mod on a Garry's Mod Military RP for about 2-3 months. I was mod on a MapleStory private server for a few weeks. Probably more here and there, regardless to say more experience than I can remember lol. I was also a trial-mod on CM for 2 weeks, I did things a little differently due to my past knowledge than they did and so I made a few "mistakes". They didn't like that I tried to do more than what my job is and that was bad... I guess? So it didn't work out. I've also hosted my own SS13 servers randomly, mostly for fun and to learn how to use the admin tools better.

How familiar are you with our ruleset: It's not too different than CM, but I've read it over multiple times and I'm pretty good with them. Also, might I say, super happy there's no battlefield executions. I really hated that shit in CM, every CO absolutely abused it, and there were constant tickets and fights over it.

How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: A few days. More details on why I decided to apply despite that in why do I want to be an admin.

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: There was a weird misunderstanding with apop when I was mod for CM... For some reason, he banned me for a bit for logging off with an important role, but then when I logged on later I wasn't banned and had no idea till I looked at my notes. Apop never responded and it was all pretty much ignored.

Have you ever received a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: No, not on SS13 or any other BYOND games.

Why do you want to become an administrator: Okay, let's lay it out. I know I've only been here a few days, no one knows me, that's fine. The reason I'm applying instead of maybe in a week+, is because I don't want to wait anymore lol. Let me explain why. From the discord itself I've seen how open you guys are about development and how close and friendly everyone is. This is quite good to me since nowhere I've ever seen, they're always so secretive about any development. You guys seem like you're in it for the long haul and I want to help 100%. I believe my past knowledge will help and I just want to be part of the ride tbh. Despite this, I understand that I'm new, so if I get denied I will try again in a month. The server is going in a different direction and I'm super excited to see where it goes. I've done the same thing with CM in the past. I was there pretty much when it first came out and it was... So bad lol. Despite knowing nothing about me, I swear to do my best for this server as admin if I'm accepted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
Spoiler:


1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
For the most part, let it be an IC incident, MP has it under control. Check to see what happened leading up to the shooting to make sure nothing illegal happened. If it's entirely IC, don't bother adding it to notes but be sure to check anyways if it's something that the player has done before. Add it to notes if it feels suspicious and take further action based on notes.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
Ask a mentor to talk to him and see if he's new or lost. If no mentors is on, do it yourself.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
Deal with the issue yourself as much as possible and get them to calm down. If the player persists, give them a warning and note it. If the player has a history of this behaviour, then give them either a harsher warning or a short ban. If all works out and the player calms down and still wishes to speak to higher staff, then redirect them.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
State to them the rule regarding names and give them a link to rules as well. Regardless how long the name has been used, it's still illegal and kindly explain all this, asking him to change the name anyways. Check notes to see if there's been any past incidences and he hasn't changed his name, then deal with it further. If it's only happened once, give him another warning, make sure next game he changes his name [or change it for him that round as long as it doesn't break IC/RP], then add it to notes. If issue goes further, give a light ban.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
See if MP/s get notified regarding the issue and let them deal with it, maybe nudge an MP or the CMP and let them know if absolutely necessary. Otherwise, send him a pm asking him what's going on/what he's doing. If there's a valid IC reason or whatever, let him be, otherwise tell him to return the equipment he's wearing and return to his post as MT. Add the incidence to notes if he did it without IC reason or maliciously. If notes states he's done it before, give him another warning if it's something minor and maybe a short ban otherwise [maybe jobban depending on situation].

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 Marines and 4 Aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
Likely the aliens are waiting to build numbers or else they're going to be wiped out. Make sure to check with the queen if necessary. Otherwise, humans should be encouraged to push, message the highest ranking officer and find out what's going on. There may be IC reasons that either is pushing or marines are simply being cautious. Tell the CO [or whatever is highest] to go down and finish off the rest since the round if being delayed too far. If there is a good IC reason, make sure everything plays out and the round progresses.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
Once again, let MPs deal with it if possible as this can easily be an MP issue. Otherwise, if there is no MP intervention, PM the player first asking them to stop first, then find out what's going on. Unless there's a really good IC reason [which I doubt there is], check his/her notes. If it's the first offence, tell them to not do that, show them the rules, and give them a warning, add it to notes. If it's a past issue, depending on severity either another warning or a short ban.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
In this case, seems it was escalated too far. The marine didn't need to kill him and could easily have either incapacitated him or called MP to deal with it. Let him know that there's no excuse for murder and leave a note. Check notes to make sure the player hasn't done this before, if he/she has, take it further. If the other player can be revived by doctors, let this be as it's IC, if he can't then depending on what happened, offer to heal him.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
As long as the majority of people find it funny, then it's acceptable. One person is bound to be offended because maybe it targets them non-intentionally. Talk the player down and tell him it's an IC issue and not a big deal. As long as it's minor and not a big deal there's no need to do anything about it.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Look into the player's notes to see if this is a first time offender or a past offender. If first time, leave a note of what happened. If multiple people killed permanently [not able to be revived], then maybe escalate from warning to ban. Anyone who died permanently, in this case, should be healed. Everyone else is to be revived IC and let MP/Doctors deal with it however possible.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Potentially a new player, message them yourself asking what happened. If new, let them know that larvae should not be in front lines as they don't have any combat capabilities, so they should be hiding, direct them to a mentor. If they did it knowingly, check their notes and see if they've done this before. Give them a warning if not and add it to notes. If this has happened before, I'd probably jobban him since Xenos have a hard time getting larva, so it's a bigger deal than a marine dying. Add the jobban to notes.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Some memes are okay as long as it's not interfering with gameplay or going too far. Since the player is using it a lot, ask them to tone it down or stop as it's not IC and/or it's annoying others. Add it to notes, if it's been a past issue give a more severe warning and maybe a ban if bad enough.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
In an RP sense, marines wake up from cryo and are sent to do a mission with not much knowledge other than to scout the colony, find what happened and fix it. The only thing they know is a distress beacon went off, that's it. Message the commanding officer and let he/she know about OOC knowledge in ic, give them a link to rules. Add to notes, give a warning if has done before, and jobban if has done it before and doesn't comply with what I've told him/her.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
This is considered IC because it's a matter of survival and it's the only spot left. This is realistic, no one will let someone have the final spot over them [imo lol]. If the only player ahelps, try to explain to them it's IC and allowed. Don't see any reason why this is not allowed as there was a clear motive and it was RPed.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Not a huge deal as long as it's not something they've done often. Check notes to make sure, otherwise, add it to notes if it's the first time. Repeated offender, I'd jobban right away as SL is an important role.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
Try not to step on someone's toes too much. If it's a big deal, let either the admin know that they said the wrong information or maybe pm the player and explain. Otherwise, very minor things let it slide as the player might just ahelp again or the admin/mentor might notice they made a mistake themselves.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Make sure to mark down the time it happened and take screenshots if possible, then message the head admin. Explain what happened and give all information recorded.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Let them know to calm down the bashing, give them a link to rules. Check notes to be sure and mute them from OOC if non-compliant or past offender. If has done it frequently in the past, escalate from mute to ban.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
Make sure it was actually friendly fire, check notes on both sides for anything weird. Check logs to see if it was one shot that killed the player. Multiple shots might indicate that it was burst fire, or on purpose. Regardless, talk to both sides and confirm if it was an accident or not. If it was an accident, let the person know he/she died by accident and it is an IC issue [shit happens]. If other player killed with malice, then give them a warning [unless already given in past], otherwise ban them. Revive the player killed.
Last edited by emeraldmoonx on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.



emeraldmoonx
 
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am
Byond Username: Emeraldmoonx

Re: Emeraldmoonx - Administrator Application

Postby emeraldmoonx » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 pm #481259

LaKiller8 wrote:Hello, thank you for showing interest and applying! We don't have any arbitrary time lock before people can apply, the reason we usually recommend them to wait a bit longer is to see if they would be comfortable with how things are ran here. Your application shows a lot of experience and your answers are very detailed. But of course just playing on the server is not the deciding factor here, our community is spread across other places where you can engage and be active. Anyway, a few remarks regarding your answers.

Emeraldmoonx wrote:5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.

These two were pretty extensively talked about on our Discord but just for clarity try answering them again.

Emeraldmoonx wrote:As long as the majority of people find it funny, then it's acceptable. One person is bound to be offended because maybe it targets them non-intentionally. Talk the player down and tell him it's an IC issue and not a big deal. As long as it's minor and not a big deal there's no need to do anything about it.

What comments would you consider okay to say regarding IC racism? How comfortable would you be enforcing something in this regard that may not align with your personal views?


Sure, I can give those a try again. My answer for #5 doesn't change much to be quite honest. I'd message them first to see if they're either new or just messing around. Assuming they're new I wouldn't take any action against them and redirect them to a mentor, unless there isn't one online, in that case I'd help them myself. If that player is indeed experienced and causing issues, I'd check their notes first to see if they've done this before and move from there. I'd ask them to return the stuff where he found it and issue a warning if this is something they haven't done before. Otherwise, if this is an old issue, I'd most likely jobban [a normal ban might work considering the situation] them since this isn't something you do "accidentally", then add it to notes.

For #13, I'm aware of the rule now regarding meta. I was before but just didn't realize the implications. Marines have "perfect" knowledge [your words lol], so I'm to assume they know about Xenos and what's going on with the colony, so the CO is within the rules and I wouldn't do anything about it.

I can't really imagine what would be appropriate, I rarely ever make racist jokes and it's really ever with close friends who I know wouldn't be offended. I'm not offended myself by anything someone might say, believe me when I say I've heard it all directed to me, and I really just don't care. So when it comes to racism I'd have to look at it objectively and the person who ahelped and their sensibilities. Of course, if they're just being whiny over a small comment then it's not a big deal, move on. The only way racist humour is okay, is exactly that... A small joke, nothing too excessive and as long as it ends there and they don't drag it on for a while.

User avatar
Urytion
 
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:40 am
Byond Username: Urytion

Re: [Emeraldmoonx] - Administrator Application

Postby Urytion » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:36 pm #481419

Spoiler:

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
As long as the majority of people find it funny, then it's acceptable. One person is bound to be offended because maybe it targets them non-intentionally. Talk the player down and tell him it's an IC issue and not a big deal. As long as it's minor and not a big deal there's no need to do anything about it.


I take issue with "as long as the majority of people find it funny, then it's acceptable". Some people find some pretty vile things funny. Could you please elaborate?


10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Look into the player's notes to see if this is a first time offender or a past offender. If first time, leave a note of what happened. If multiple people killed permanently [not able to be revived], then maybe escalate from warning to ban. Anyone who died permanently, in this case, should be healed. Everyone else is to be revived IC and let MP/Doctors deal with it however possible.


Why so lenient? In most cases this would be a very simple clear cut case of hard griefing and an instant permaban. So why only noting?

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Some memes are okay as long as it's not interfering with gameplay or going too far. Since the player is using it a lot, ask them to tone it down or stop as it's not IC and/or it's annoying others. Add it to notes, if it's been a past issue give a more severe warning and maybe a ban if bad enough.


What sort of ban? A jobban or a server ban?


You're experienced, your answers are pretty good for the most part. You say you've only been around for a few days and while that isn't an instant disqualification or anything, I would still like to see you in game some more.

emeraldmoonx
 
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am
Byond Username: Emeraldmoonx

Re: [Emeraldmoonx] - Administrator Application

Postby emeraldmoonx » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:30 pm #481431

Urytion wrote:
Spoiler:

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
As long as the majority of people find it funny, then it's acceptable. One person is bound to be offended because maybe it targets them non-intentionally. Talk the player down and tell him it's an IC issue and not a big deal. As long as it's minor and not a big deal there's no need to do anything about it.


I take issue with "as long as the majority of people find it funny, then it's acceptable". Some people find some pretty vile things funny. Could you please elaborate?


10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Look into the player's notes to see if this is a first time offender or a past offender. If first time, leave a note of what happened. If multiple people killed permanently [not able to be revived], then maybe escalate from warning to ban. Anyone who died permanently, in this case, should be healed. Everyone else is to be revived IC and let MP/Doctors deal with it however possible.


Why so lenient? In most cases this would be a very simple clear cut case of hard griefing and an instant permaban. So why only noting?

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Some memes are okay as long as it's not interfering with gameplay or going too far. Since the player is using it a lot, ask them to tone it down or stop as it's not IC and/or it's annoying others. Add it to notes, if it's been a past issue give a more severe warning and maybe a ban if bad enough.


What sort of ban? A jobban or a server ban?


You're experienced, your answers are pretty good for the most part. You say you've only been around for a few days and while that isn't an instant disqualification or anything, I would still like to see you in game some more.


Hi, thanks for the reply. Let me structure this by answering your questions first.

--------------------

#9: I elaborated on LaKiller's post what I meant. It's honestly tricky to explain. What I mean is that there's some minor humour that really is pretty acceptable, but there often tends to be 1/10 who will be over offended/sensitive when it's really not a big deal. That's what I mean. I don't say that this person is wrong, but people can go overboard. IF the racism is going too far I will of course agree with the player and let that person know to calm it down. Hope that's a good answer if you want more details, ask.

#10: I'm lenient because I saw somewhere that this server is big on second chances and rehabilitating over just giving out bans. I like this idea and formulated my response around this. Yes this is a pretty bad one, but if this is a first offence I MAY be willing to let it slide. In my personal experience, I can be pretty strict and so I'd go straight for a ban. I'd say it maybe depends on how much damage the player did before logging off. Their records would have to be squeaky clean though. If I saw anything wrong, ban.

#12: Yes, I forgot to elaborate, I always go for jobban as the first option over a full ban, so for something minor like this, yes, a jobban would suffice.

--------------------

Thanks again. I have been playing almost every round [till about 8pm EST] since joining on the 2nd, you might have seen me ingame as Elric Wolff. I've been mostly playing marine roles. I'm also active in Discord, I try lol.

emeraldmoonx
 
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am
Byond Username: Emeraldmoonx

Re: [Emeraldmoonx] - Administrator Application

Postby emeraldmoonx » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:46 pm #481435

LaKiller8 wrote:While I agree with this sentiment it's important to mention that everything we do here is based on intent. Did someone do a relatively minor offence but is not interested in following our rules and just responds very badly to PMs? That should be a temporary ban instead of a note. In a similar way, intent applies here. If they do such blatant griefing with malicious intent it shouldn't matter if it's a first offense or not, something round ruining done this way should be deserving of a permanent ban. It is true we are more lenient in general and don't bother people too much, I just wanted to make this disctinction clear. We do give people second changes, but they need to actually deserve them.


Makes sense, I'd have gone for a straight ban myself to be honest. At the minimum, if someone does something like that it'd be either a jobban or temp ban. Even IF they don't have notes I'd usually go for that. I only assumed that's not what this server wants due to what I read. I try to be lenient because I myself am super serious when I admin and I tend to be strict as hell lol, so I gotta keep myself in check or I might ban someone for something that should have been a warning. In the moment I hold my opinion as it might be entirely circumstantial, so maybe a warning is the right route, I really don't know. I like to leave all options open and don't immediately choose to ban or not ban.

emeraldmoonx
 
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am
Byond Username: Emeraldmoonx

Re: [Emeraldmoonx] - Administrator Application

Postby emeraldmoonx » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:30 pm #481885

Sounds good, I'll be sure to keep the changes in mind. Perfect knowledge will take a bit to get used to lol.


Return to TGMC Closed Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users