Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

User avatar
grinkgo
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 am
Byond Username: Grinkgo

Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Postby grinkgo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:57 am #486341

After much teasing and questioning, I've finally decided to post this.

ohgod oh fuck

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: Grinkgo
Character name(s): Kenji Ishida, Ellen 'Pip' MacLaren
Timezone: EST
Discord tag: grinkgo#5711
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: I have several months experience moderating a Garry's mod Star Wars roleplay server.
How familiar are you with our ruleset: Very familiar. Though they are similar to CM's ruleset, I made sure to look over them thoroughly before playing here.
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: I've been playing TGMC sporadically for the past couple of months, although I've been trying to play more regularly in the past month, and I've played on CM since spring 2018.
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: Never. I'm a good noodle.
Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: Never.
Why do you want to become an administrator: I like this server's philosophies and I would like to contribute to its success and to its progression towards full-time status by filling an administrative position. I also enjoy welcoming new players and I find myself to be an effective mediator in situations of conflict.
Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:


Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
This is mostly an IC-issue, however shooting someone unprovoked would fall under improper escalation, which violates server policy so I would step in and briefly PM the player to let them know that their actions are against Rule 1, specifically "Going out of your way to negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification." If they have no relevant note history, I would just leave them with a warning and a note.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
I would notify a mentor to help them out. If there are no mentors online, I would pm the player myself and walk them through the process of getting ready, including eating, getting dressed, getting a gun, etc.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
I would answer their questions to the best of my ability and calmly respond that using an aggressive tone is not constructive and will not solve their problems any faster than being polite and patient. If they comply and still wish to speak with higher staff, and/or if I am unable to resolve their situation, I would gladly contact a higher-up. If they refuse to listen and continue being a dick despite my warnings, I would issue a short ban (24 hours?) and record a note.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
I would link them to rule 3 of the server and state the naming guidelines for them. Even though they have used the name on other servers, our rules are different. I would also offer suggestions for a new name.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
For the most part, this is an IC issue. There isn't really an issue with this, however I would probably follow the MT for a bit to see if their intentions are meta-gamey. If I conclude that they are metagaming, I would send them a PM informing them of rule 2 and asking them to return the weapon.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
I would send one side a message via High Command or Queen Mother encouraging them to go on the offensive. In this case, I would most likely encourage the marines as they have a numbers advantage and are most likely to close out the round. Alternatively I would introduce an ERT to either help kill marines, help kill xenos, or at the very least provide xenos with hosts.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
This is primarily an IC issue. The marines actions do violate marine law, specifically 3: Theft and 4: Hooliganism. I might PM an MP to let them know of the situation.
If one of the players ahelps about the situation, I would PM the thief and ask them to stop, warning them about rule 1. I would leave a note.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
This is improper escalation. Killing another marine is nearly always a violation of rule 1 and its precedents. If they have no notes, I would leave them with a warning and a note and I would aheal affected parties.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
Racism and edgy humor is against the rules and I would tell the 9 players to knock it off. Depending on the severity of the racist content (e.g. blatant use of racial slurs), I might leave a note.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
I would aheal the affected parties and issue a short-term ban and a note. If they are in our Discord, I would try to reach out to theme if possible and communicate to them through there to explain our rule against griefing.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
I would ask them if they are new and why they were at the front. I would inform them that as a larva they should not put themselves at risk since it is difficult for xenos to acquire larva. This is also likely a violation of rule 5, as a Queen would not order a larva to go to the frontlines. Furthermore, if the larva was the only xeno eligible to become a Queen, that would also be an issue as they basically threw the round for the xenos. Following this conversation, I would leave a note. If they have relevant note history, I would likely issue a job ban.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
I would send them a brief PM reminding them that using netspeak and other grammatical or punctuation abuse violate the precendents of rule 3 and I would tell them to tone it down.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
Saying there might be xenos is fine IC, as rule 2 states that "Characters are otherwise allowed to know everything about ingame mechanics or antagonists." However, if the player states specific facts, such as xeno numbers, castes, locations, then it is clear that they are metagaming and I would PM them with a warning and would note.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
In my opinion, this is a pretty acceptable roleplay situation, especially considering the fact that the escape pod will fail if it is over max capacity. However, if the dead player ahelps about the situation, I would PM the other player and ask them to avoid doing it again.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
I would cryo them so that they don't fill up the spot. I would also leave a note, since an SL should be expected to fulfill their role if they are in the game per rule 5.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
I would PM them about it and correct the misinformation with them and the player. If the misinformation has already spread or has affected more than those two parties, I would make an OOC announcement if appropriate.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Per rule 6 policy, I would record the logs and inform the headmin. If necessary I would also write a report on the forums. Administrators should be held to a high standard and should be accountable for their actions.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
I would PM them telling them to knock it off, as disrespecting and harassing others is against rule 1. Depending on the severity of the incident, I might leave a note.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
I would inform them that friendly fire is unfortunately something to get used to in this game. Rule 9 states that dying is part of the game, even if it is to friendly fire. I would message their squad member and warn them to be careful with their weapon in the future, perhaps even teaching them how to turn on the safety. If it continues to be an issue throughout the round or if they have relevant note history, I would take further action against them.



PostThis post was deleted by Guest on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 am.
Reason: Shitpost. Please keep your messages cosntructive.

User avatar
Rohesie
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rohesie

Re: Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Postby Rohesie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:04 am #486353

grinkgo wrote:1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
This is mostly an IC-issue, however shooting someone unprovoked would fall under improper escalation, which violates server policy so I would step in and briefly PM the player to let them know that their actions are against Rule 1, specifically "Going out of your way to negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification." If they have no relevant note history, I would just leave them with a warning and a note.


What if they have a single note about toxic behavior and a fellow admin comments they are a problem player?

grinkgo wrote:3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
I would answer their questions to the best of my ability and calmly respond that using an aggressive tone is not constructive and will not solve their problems any faster than being polite and patient. If they comply and still wish to speak with higher staff, and/or if I am unable to resolve their situation, I would gladly contact a higher-up. If they refuse to listen and continue being a dick despite my warnings, I would issue a short ban (24 hours?) and record a note.


Imagine one fellow admin comments in the admin channel that they are not being rude enough to warrant punishment, but you are convinced they are. How would you proceed then?

grinkgo wrote:5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
For the most part, this is an IC issue. There isn't really an issue with this, however I would probably follow the MT for a bit to see if their intentions are meta-gamey. If I conclude that they are metagaming, I would send them a PM informing them of rule 2 and asking them to return the weapon.


Could you describe what metagaming constitutes? Should you PM them, consider they to be outraged and demanding to know which rule they've broken. What would you answer?

grinkgo wrote:7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
This is primarily an IC issue. The marines actions do violate marine law, specifically 3: Theft and 4: Hooliganism. I might PM an MP to let them know of the situation.
If one of the players ahelps about the situation, I would PM the thief and ask them to stop, warning them about rule 1. I would leave a note.


Say you observe someone steal someone else's ID. The victim doesn't ahelp, but is visibly distressed. Would you let it happen?
What's the line between IC and OOC?

grinkgo wrote:12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
I would send them a brief PM reminding them that using netspeak and other grammatical or punctuation abuse violate the precendents of rule 3 and I would tell them to tone it down.


What if they argue that "reee" is a meme of a sound, an onomatopoeia, but not netspeak nor grammatical or punctuation abuse?
What if they are using grammatically correct copypastas instead?

grinkgo wrote:15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
I would cryo them so that they don't fill up the spot. I would also leave a note, since an SL should be expected to fulfill their role if they are in the game per rule 5.


Let's say the person comes back a minute later and ahelps to be sent back to the lobby (they are an observer-ghost now), that they had to leave the game for RL reasons. What would you do?

grinkgo wrote:16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
I would PM them about it and correct the misinformation with them and the player. If the misinformation has already spread or has affected more than those two parties, I would make an OOC announcement if appropriate.


What if the fellow staff disagrees with you about it being incorrect?

User avatar
grinkgo
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 am
Byond Username: Grinkgo

Re: Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Postby grinkgo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:58 am #486379

Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
This is mostly an IC-issue, however shooting someone unprovoked would fall under improper escalation, which violates server policy so I would step in and briefly PM the player to let them know that their actions are against Rule 1, specifically "Going out of your way to negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification." If they have no relevant note history, I would just leave them with a warning and a note.


What if they have a single note about toxic behavior and a fellow admin comments they are a problem player?

I would consult with the other admin to determine the best course of action. Since I am fairly ignorant of the administrative tools that SS13 offers, I would say that a short ban would be appropriate since the player does have a history of poor behavior.

Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
I would answer their questions to the best of my ability and calmly respond that using an aggressive tone is not constructive and will not solve their problems any faster than being polite and patient. If they comply and still wish to speak with higher staff, and/or if I am unable to resolve their situation, I would gladly contact a higher-up. If they refuse to listen and continue being a dick despite my warnings, I would issue a short ban (24 hours?) and record a note.


Imagine one fellow admin comments in the admin channel that they are not being rude enough to warrant punishment, but you are convinced they are. How would you proceed then?

Considering that the player is requesting a higher-up, I would simply just have to ignore the other admin and consult the higher ranking staff member and get their opinion. If the admin or the player have an issue with how I dealt with the situation, I would gladly suggest that they make a report on the forums to investigate the situation further.

Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
For the most part, this is an IC issue. There isn't really an issue with this, however I would probably follow the MT for a bit to see if their intentions are meta-gamey. If I conclude that they are metagaming, I would send them a PM informing them of rule 2 and asking them to return the weapon.


Could you describe what metagaming constitutes? Should you PM them, consider they to be outraged and demanding to know which rule they've broken. What would you answer?

Metagaming includes using outside means to gain knowledge about the game and using that knowledge to your advantage. Upon further review of this question, I think the situation is more powergamey than it is metagamey. The MT is arming up and perhaps trying to be a kickass xeno killer when that isn't their job. Their job is to upkeep the ship's reactors, load dropships, and load OBs. For the sake of argument, let's say they armed up so they could deploy. If they neglect those aforementioned duties by deploying to the FOB, they're in violation of rule 5. Precedent 4 states, "[Maintenance Technicians] should not deploy if their departments are not being taken care of. They must additionally get permission from their higher-ups, and remain in FOB while deployed. They should not leave their departments completely abandoned either." So while this situation may not be an issue of metagaming, I would investigate all of these other factors before proceeding with a course of action.

Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
This is primarily an IC issue. The marines actions do violate marine law, specifically 3: Theft and 4: Hooliganism. I might PM an MP to let them know of the situation.
If one of the players ahelps about the situation, I would PM the thief and ask them to stop, warning them about rule 1. I would leave a note.


Say you observe someone steal someone else's ID. The victim doesn't ahelp, but is visibly distressed. Would you let it happen?
What's the line between IC and OOC?

If it's clear that the player is distressed about it, then the situation becomes a violation of rule 1, as the actions of the marine are causing genuine frustration OOC. The marine knows that what they're doing is disruptive. I think the line between IC and OOC is dependent upon what the players are comfortable with. There are, of course, server-set boundaries to what is allowed i.e. no racism, sexism, ERP. Anything else, however, is dependent on the players' ability to roleplay and what kind of situations they are comfortable with. Perhaps a different player would be able to RP their way to a solution to their IC problem. In this situation, however, it's clear that the player isn't comfortable with what's going on, so I would step in.

Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
I would send them a brief PM reminding them that using netspeak and other grammatical or punctuation abuse violate the precendents of rule 3 and I would tell them to tone it down.


What if they argue that "reee" is a meme of a sound, an onomatopoeia, but not netspeak nor grammatical or punctuation abuse?
What if they are using grammatically correct copypastas instead?

Regardless of what meme they're posting in the hivemind, it's low-rp and should cease immediately. imo it's okay to meme a little bit every now and then but if it becomes consistent then it's disruptive as it clutters communication and doesn't fit the roleplay standards that a xeno should abide by.

Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
I would cryo them so that they don't fill up the spot. I would also leave a note, since an SL should be expected to fulfill their role if they are in the game per rule 5.


Let's say the person comes back a minute later and ahelps to be sent back to the lobby (they are an observer-ghost now), that they had to leave the game for RL reasons. What would you do?

Considering the round is an hour in, it's likely to end within the next hour, so I would tell the player to make sure that they can commit to playing and wait until the next round. If they are still unsure of whether or not they can commit their full time to the round, I would suggest that they play as a non-limited role so that if they have to leave again, they're not wasting a valuable slot.

Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
I would PM them about it and correct the misinformation with them and the player. If the misinformation has already spread or has affected more than those two parties, I would make an OOC announcement if appropriate.


What if the fellow staff disagrees with you about it being incorrect?

I would consult with a third party or with higher-up to get a third opinion and discuss it until we can agree upon a correct answer.

User avatar
grinkgo
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 am
Byond Username: Grinkgo

Re: Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Postby grinkgo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:34 am #486391

LaKiller8 wrote:
grinkgo wrote:14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
In my opinion, this is a pretty acceptable roleplay situation, especially considering the fact that the escape pod will fail if it is over max capacity. However, if the dead player ahelps about the situation, I would PM the other player and ask them to avoid doing it again.

Would you apply a note here? What if the roleplay was really good, but the other player was just mad that it didn't go in his favor? What other factors would you take into account here?

I would direct the player to rule 9. Their character will die in this game for any variety of reasons. Just because the situation didn't go their way, it doesn't mean that an admin can come to the rescue and make it all better for them. If the living player has a bad note history, however, I would definitely view the situation differently. Otherwise, I don't think that a note is necessary if the roleplay was appropriate and the player followed proper escalation.

User avatar
grinkgo
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 am
Byond Username: Grinkgo

Re: Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Postby grinkgo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:15 pm #486453

LaKiller8 wrote:
grinkgo wrote:Let's say the person comes back a minute later and ahelps to be sent back to the lobby (they are an observer-ghost now), that they had to leave the game for RL reasons. What would you do?
Considering the round is an hour in, it's likely to end within the next hour, so I would tell the player to make sure that they can commit to playing and wait until the next round. If they are still unsure of whether or not they can commit their full time to the round, I would suggest that they play as a non-limited role so that if they have to leave again, they're not wasting a valuable slot.

What if their power went out? (or something similar they cannot affect)

If it's something outside of their control or something they weren't able to expect, then I think I would be more lenient in that case. I would however, still advise that they play a non-limited role in case it happens again.

User avatar
grinkgo
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 am
Byond Username: Grinkgo

Re: Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Postby grinkgo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 pm #486469

LaKiller8 wrote:Would you remove the note in that case?

Hm, I think I would still leave a note that they had connection issues, in case it happens again. Whatever the next admin decides to do with that information is up to them, but at least the note is recorded so that we can know a little more about the player's situation.

User avatar
Rohesie
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rohesie

Re: Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Postby Rohesie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:32 am #486542

grinkgo wrote:
Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
I would send them a brief PM reminding them that using netspeak and other grammatical or punctuation abuse violate the precendents of rule 3 and I would tell them to tone it down.


What if they argue that "reee" is a meme of a sound, an onomatopoeia, but not netspeak nor grammatical or punctuation abuse?
What if they are using grammatically correct copypastas instead?

Regardless of what meme they're posting in the hivemind, it's low-rp and should cease immediately. imo it's okay to meme a little bit every now and then but if it becomes consistent then it's disruptive as it clutters communication and doesn't fit the roleplay standards that a xeno should abide by.


Could you point to the rule being broken here?

User avatar
grinkgo
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 am
Byond Username: Grinkgo

Re: Grinkgo - Administrator Application

Postby grinkgo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:24 am #486552

Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:
Rohesie wrote:
grinkgo wrote:12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
I would send them a brief PM reminding them that using netspeak and other grammatical or punctuation abuse violate the precendents of rule 3 and I would tell them to tone it down.


What if they argue that "reee" is a meme of a sound, an onomatopoeia, but not netspeak nor grammatical or punctuation abuse?
What if they are using grammatically correct copypastas instead?

Regardless of what meme they're posting in the hivemind, it's low-rp and should cease immediately. imo it's okay to meme a little bit every now and then but if it becomes consistent then it's disruptive as it clutters communication and doesn't fit the roleplay standards that a xeno should abide by.


Could you point to the rule being broken here?

I think it depends on the situation but in general I would be looking towards rule 3, specifically maintaining that ideal of MRP that the server strives for.


Return to TGMC Closed Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users