Let's talk swords.
[youtube]FKvRHaJ2w6w[/youtube]
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Re: Swords: Going Medieval on your ass edition

Post by ColonicAcid » #10522

Spoiler:
ColonicAcid wrote:this is now a sword thread
and anyone saying that katanas could break through gun barrels are literally retarded

anyway uh i like the Ulfberht swords even if they are just mediocre damascus steel. They're western mediocre damascus steel! The chinese dao's they made in WW2 are fucking insane as well. It's basically old rail way tracks shaped into a daodao that would fucking massacre anything it touched. This sword could indeed cut off a mans head with ease in one swing. If we follow on that the Messer is also pretty damn good sword as well, once again it's a western version of the Daodao and it's small enough to use as a 1 handed weapon but if you want shit done take away the shield and pummel them. It was also one of the few weapons that had a school on it.
ColonicAcid wrote:You have to get considerable weight for it to actually damage you significantly. You put more weight in a weapon the harder to swing. It's a high reward high risk scenario for blunt weapons. You swing down, you may hit, but if it's a skilled swordsman he'll sure as fuck move out of it. If you miss you've already over extended yourself and now you're just easy pickings. In sword fighting, just like fencing, it's about exploiting mistakes as much as possible.
This is the reason a hammer is on both extremes of the length spectrum, but not in the middle. You either get a Poleaxe which has a hammer on one side, or you get a warhammer which is light, sure, but it's fast and thus allows you to get a lot of hits quickly. Warhammers are pretty common in the 5v5s and 10v10s in BotN because of how quickly you can hit an opponent and it doesn't break bones per say but it knocks the wind outta you. I've had to fight one once and it's not something you want to go against. You have to keep your distance at all times else he will unload on you. I pretty much resorted to having to hug him like boxing to stop him from just mauling me. I was gasping for air by about his third parry, knock me off balance and then proceed to shit all over me.
Not fun.
yes hello.
I sometimes parcipitate in the art of "re-enactment" (It's not re-enactment I would never call it that, It's just get in armour and slap people silly with blunt swords and polearms but people still band it together with the whole roleplaying famous battles for some reason.) The best ever weapon I've used was a Elongated Bec de Corbin, normally Becs are pretty small, but this one was a normal poleaxe size and it worked wonders.

Tip: If you ever buy armour for whatever reason every week clean that shit, it may be boring but when your piece of plate/mail begins to rust and develop weaknesses and shatters when it gets hit you'll be wishing you had cleaned it. I've seen plenty of peoples armour just shatter at a hit of any noticeable force.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #10566

ColonicAcid wrote:
Tip: If you ever buy armour for whatever reason every week clean that shit, it may be boring but when your piece of plate/mail begins to rust and develop weaknesses and shatters when it gets hit you'll be wishing you had cleaned it. I've seen plenty of peoples armour just shatter at a hit of any noticeable force.
what in the absolute shit

do you guys just say "alright guys, get your swords and shit, we're gonna fuck each other up in this public park"

then theres a soccer game going on and your mortify kids by bashing the fuck out of each other with sords
you're gonna carry that weight
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #10692

TheTerbs wrote:
ColonicAcid wrote:
what in the absolute shit

do you guys just say "alright guys, get your swords and shit, we're gonna fuck each other up in this public park"

then theres a soccer game going on and your mortify kids by bashing the fuck out of each other with sords
there's a little wonder called LARPing
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #10716

>Larping
It's not larping budd.
Live Action Roleplaying implies roleplaying. I mean the Ruskies use LARP wrong, anything that constitutes hitting people with medieval weapons is "Larp" for them. In England it's called Medieval Fighting. It usually happens in like a fare or what have you and people watch as we smash eachother but there's also sometimes events where it's just dedicated to fighting. I'm part of a "Medieval fight club" as they call it which run these events. Btw that fight in that link was pretty much the worst performance I've ever seen in my life. The guy dropped his weapon after a few swings and the other one fell for the feint and dropped his shield low, if I was the guy to the right I would've hit his head and kicked the idiots shield to teach him a lesson.

There isn't any sort of thing as "training". You see people worshipping sword manuals and schools from medieval times and Renaissance but put a class of them with some of the people I fight with and their fancy tricks and techniques would dissipate after a few exchanges. Keeping a cool head and having the endurance to keep going is what wins fights. The weapons hurt, sure, but they don't hurt enough to stop you fighting, they wind you and that's what wins fights. You reach a point where even holding your arm over your head is just pure torture and then from that point you're gone, it would take one person lightly bashing into you and you would fall on your ass.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #10794

Isn't there an international medieval combat league now or something?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #10804

Aye.
Battle of the Nations. I'll be going next year. I won't go this year because well first of all it's in Croatia and you pretty much have to bring a truck full of shite with you if you want any chance of staying there and do some fightan' and I'm not going all the way to Croatia just for like a few days of that. It would take like a whole week of just driving through Europe.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #10830

Didn't the US and Canada actually get teams going? I remember seeing pictures about a recent one that showed knights with 'MURICA heraldry.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #10907

All things considering you all never had a medieval era or a renaissance you do pretty well in it. Though you don't compete against the big three, those being Russia, Poland and Israel. In the two former it's considered a full sport and has commitees and they usually describe it as their job. In Israel they win because all of their fighters have army experience and they're pretty damn big. Every other county will possibly get to the semi finals but the finals will usually contain one of those 3 if not 2 of those 3.
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #13047

lol@CA
>it's not larp guys I swear!!!
haha
Spoiler:
it sounds cool tho
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #13058

It ain't tho??????
I mean shit we don't talk to eachother for 90% of the time and then hit some foam latex swords together. They're real albeit blunted weapons.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #13230

I've researched it some. It's a full contact sport if I ever saw one. They fuck each other up.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #13247

Holy fuck that battle of the nations. Can we discuss it here?

Ukraine vs Russia, russia is down to 2 big guys, ukraine has one dude left, they corner him, he breaks out, wrecks BOTH of their shit.

It was so amazing the internet livestream broke and everyone was SO mad they couldn't see based ukraine wipe the floor with the russians.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #13303

Heh I'm surprised they let Ukraine and Russia fight what with the whole Ukraine civil war business.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #13424

That made it so much better
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.