The Legend of Cuban Pete

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

The Legend of Cuban Pete

Post by John_Oxford » #138333

It'd be fantastic if the oldest of old SS13 players could tell me the full and drawn out history of cuban pete

Bonus points if you explain how he made his bombs

Double Bonus points if you tell me his new ckey.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: The Legend of Cuban Pete

Post by NikNakFlak » #138337

This is related to tgstation, why is it in off-topic
secondly, his bomb making stuff doesn't even work anymore because atmos speed has changed
and thirdly, he used an alt but he got his old account back and uses that except he really doesn't even play anymore at all.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138338

I wonder if my bomb recipe still works before fastmos I needed to wear a firesuit.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #138350

A little while ago pete came back on for a bit. MSO confirmed it was him, and he had a bit of a chat, tried to make bombs in toxins, and accidentally set himself on fire and died.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #138361

lumipharon wrote:A little while ago pete came back on for a bit. MSO confirmed it was him, and he had a bit of a chat, tried to make bombs in toxins, and accidentally set himself on fire and died.
I seen it it was very sad and disheartening
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #138364

How the mighty have fallen...
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #138380

I like making hot bombs, anyone who steals my bombs will just die now that's security.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #138383

IIRC admins also set up a script that gibbed anyone naming himself Cuban Pete unless he had the original ckey
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138384

I only remember the names of people like cuban pete, 2yak, 2beard, dante, tonto, terbs, tobba and others, whose play style was mostly made up of toeing the line, and occasionally crossing over to direct rulebreaking. I don't remember what exactly each of them did - as in what their signature was. I didn't care back then, I don't care now. All I know is that they weren't worth the amount of time we spent on handling adminhelps of them. I banned them repeatedly for rulebreaking or repeated toeing, but inevitably the bans were overturned a few weeks later. If I remember right, an admin actually got deadminned because they banned 2beard or tonto or someone, even though it was 100% clear rule breaking.

These people enjoyed dedicated support from the server owner for some reason, while the players and admins basically had to sit there and watch as they abused everything and everyone.

While I believe in rehabilitation and general "growing up" (due to the nature of the age of the playerbase) and think permabans should have some sort of reasonable upper cap (say a year), I don't think any of the people I listed deserve any sort of genuine attention given to them. If they manage to ban evade and not get caught, great! If the rest of the players don't know they exist and they don't get banned on their ban evading accounts, then there is no harm done to anyone... But in terms of retaining their glorified identities from the past, no. Those are b&t.

Humans are great at forgetting details, and our memories inevitably become more like legends than objective memories. So someone like Cuban Pete can is remembered as "Legendary bomb maker who blew the station up every round". But as you can probably guess, that's not the whole story. Of course my memory is distorted as much as anyone else's, but I do remember two things:
- These people were legendarily difficult to deal with as admins and required a tremendous amount of effort in banning, later in ban appeals and a lot of careful maneuvering to ensure you didn't get yourself de-adminned because the host had a 2 seconds attention span and thought bans were only for people who do "one big thing", and not for people who were consistently shit and toxic
- The reason any of these people survived for any length of time was because they were direct friends with the server hosts. There are always countless potential shits in the community, who could have been the next dante or the next cuban pete, but these shits weren't friends with the hosts and headmins, so they get banned too early in their careers for anyone to remember them. These are the only differences. Cuban Pete was nothing special, he was just friends with the host of the time, so he got away with a lot of shit. Even so, his career was only like 4 months long. Everything after that is just untrue glorification. And this was in the super early days of TGS, when individual players actually mattered for the survival of TGS. Now, if you ban any one player, TGS would survive. Back then the server had like 20 people playing on it at times, so each individual player was important.

That is my side of the legend of %SHITHEAD_NAME%.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #138395

>tonto
>requiring legendary effort to ban and careful maneuvering
TOPKEK

tonto was a meme player who was chainbanned by everyone with ban access, he kept ban evading but he was basically free game to admins. Dante was toxic and terrible, he got banned for a very long time and now he's back as a completely different person. 2beard was perma'd and he's not coming back (unless he's already here with a different ckey, but in that case I guess he's changed a lot). However I could never fully grasp how Uhangi, another powergaming and toe-lining, rule-lawyering, griffin pest could achieve admin status, even though he was pretty cool once admined. Dunno what happened to him.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138396

Yeah, that's a good example of the sort of simplified perspective that forms as memories fade into the distant past.

Most of the people I mentioned were an endless set of problems in admin circles, simply because they caused endless adminhelps and were toxic, yet we couldn't actually permaban them and have the ban stick - because of the split in admin thinking. Some headmins were absolutely against permabanning people who didn't do one single permaban-wrothy "big thing", and were also extremely willing to trust people like 2beard when they appealed their 8th permaban because they're totally reformed for reals this time guys. There were so many arguments in adminbus because of 2beard. :( Eventually Tonto got into the whole chain banning thing thought, as you say. That happened when he came into my domain and became my responsibility. I didn't bother with him and just banned him on sight and deleted his droppings - or was that terbs, I dunno anymore, they're all the same.

The exception being 2yak, who was only around for like a month. I never looked into what his deal was, he may very well have just been a 2beard, tonto or terbs alt, I dunno.
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #138411

Why did you say tonto's name, dont you know thats how you summon him?!
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #138436

Zellion wrote:Why did you say tonto's name, dont you know thats how you summon him?!
He's not my problem anymore :D None of these shits are! :D