Movies General

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Movies General

Post by NikNakFlak » #28883

I love movies. I watch them almost non-stop. When I'm cleaning, working, writing essays. I watch movies.
Suggest movies, talk about movies you love, list your favorite movies, etc.

My favorite movies go like this:
1. Catch me If you Can
2. The King's speech
3. Shindler's list.
4. Ferris Bueller's day off.
5. Stand by me
6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
7. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of shadows
8. The Grand Budapest hotel

I don't know why I like some of them, like the Grand Budapest Hotel, I just like it. I like all those movies very much and I have watched all of them, 5+ times each.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Re: Movies General

Post by TheTerbs » #28892

factotum
you're gonna carry that weight
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #28945

Se7en was pretty good.

Any of the SIlence of the lambs series.
私は完璧
bockman22
Byond Username: Bockman22

Post by bockman22 » #29014

Airplane wins in my book
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #29032

Good movie that I watched recently (that's kinda new) is Blue is the Warmest Colour. Although the first sex scene between Emma and Adele definitely goes on way too long.

It's like, I get it, they're having sex. I get it.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #29482

Man this is tough to put a top-ten list together. I managed a video-rental store for four years and just absorbed as much film as possible at the time. I both saw a lot of stuff that was great, but also there was so much of it it's hard to remember it all, and it was almost a decade ago. I got really burned out on film after a while and stopped watching much. I still don't really watch much. In picking favorites it's hard because as a viewer I tend to like sci-fi horror stuff, I have a fixation on some really cheesy comedies and B-movies, but it conflicts with my desire to also want to recount what are ten great, important films everyone should see.

My top ten favorite films:

1) Terminator 2, the greatest action movie of all time.
2) Alien, the greatest sci-fi/horror movie of all time.
3) The Thing, the close second greatest sci-fi/horror movie of all time.
4) Army of Darkness, the greatest b-movie of all time.
5) Blade Runner
6) Robocop
7) Equilibrium
8) Event Horizon
9) Reservoir Dogs
10) Wet Hot American Summer

Top Ten Important Films of Great Merit

1) The Royal Tennenbaums
2) The Shining
3) Pulp Fiction
4) Memento
5) Fight Club
6) 2001: A Space Odyssey
7) The Shawshank Redemption
8) Se7en
9) American Beauty
10) Apocalypse Now

Fuck that's a hard list to make. It's not even what I would think are the ten overall greatest films really, but the ten films that represent a diverse selection of themes, genres, cinematics, and storytelling. If you haven't seen all ten of those, not only are you missing out on a great film but you're missing out on a piece of what should be your basis for comparison for all other films. Though there are plenty more I could list.
NikNakFlak wrote:I love movies.
Catch me If you Can
Ferris Bueller's day off.
Stand by me
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Love these ones. Catch Me If you Can is an especially strange beast. The soundtrack is very muted and it's shot with a lot of blue. It doesn't make itself easy to watch, it's a movie that's made in a way that makes it hard to keep your eyes on, about a guy who was very hard to catch. It makes your brain and eyes do work.

Based on how you like that and Sherlock Holmes you DEFINITELY should watch "Insomnia" and "The Zero Effect". Trust me on those, you WILL like them. They're both very cerebral and can be difficult to watch but the characters and intensity are top-notch. If you get your serious film watching face on give them a shot (if you haven't seen them already, that is). Insomnia is directed by Christopher Nolan of Batman/Inception fame, and The Zero Effect is loosely based on one of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories.

Honestly I can do a better job of telling others what they will probably like than deciding what I actually like myself. I watched a FUCKING TON of film in a manner that wasn't so much digesting it for myself, but cataloging it so that when customers came in I could dig around in my head based on their rental history and make good recommendations.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Donk Honk
Byond Username: LindsaysAwhore

Post by Donk Honk » #29487

Is it bad that I am a fan of movies Tangerine Dream did a soundtrack for? Good or Bad?
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #29538

I liked Dark Star by John Carpenter.

And also No Country for Old Men.

I guess.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #31331

If you guys like movies about religion (not religious movies, there is in fact, a difference), Doubt and Kingdom of Heaven are pretty good, although the latter involves a lame sideplot about some moralfag and his muslim waifu. Skip those parts.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #31414

Speaking of religious movies I watched "What Dreams May Come" when Robin Williams commit suicide and cried like a big fat bitch.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #41950

An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #41970

I finally watched Corpse Bride this halloween. Tim Burton made some nice stop-motion movies but I think I still prefer the work of Aardman and Laika.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #42327

Just came back from a viewing of Interstellar. A phenomenal movie that plays around with the relativity of time.

If you've watched Christopher Nolan's other films, like Momento or Inception, it has a similar intensity and emotional pull to it that I really like.

I highly recommend it for sci-fi fans.

[youtube]zSWdZVtXT7E[/youtube]
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #42329

Yeah it looks really fucking good.

I want to see that and John Wick.

Also I totally missed the Grand Budapest Hotel so that's next on my watch list.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #42344

Fury was great. I didn't realize Shia LaBeouf was in it until I got home and looked on imdb.
Spoiler:
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #42359

1. Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
2. The Thing
3. Fear and Loathing
4. First Blood
5. The Deer Hunter
6. The Raid (1 and 2)
7. The Naked Gun
8. Filth - probably woulda been number one if it hadn't had such a bad last 1/3
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #42880

Interstellar is one of the best films I've seen in years.

Goddamn. Everyone should go see that as soon as possible.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #42886

fuckin rad movie. great soundtrack too.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #42888

children of men. watch it.
in fact i might just stream it tomorrow because i feel like it
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #42939

Children of Men was good, but I spent a lot of it asking "Why is this happening?"
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
MAGiC

Post by MAGiC » #44301

Donk Honk wrote:Is it bad that I am a fan of movies Tangerine Dream did a soundtrack for? Good or Bad?
Man, I love TD. It's not a coincidence that they made the soundtrack on all my favourite movies.

Do you know "Thief" by Michael Mann? TD did the soundtrack for this film. It's not only that the soundtrack is beautiful, but the movie itself is awesome. Check it out.

BTW sort of unrelated to this thread: I'm doing a documentary right now, and for the teaser I want to use one of their tracks, don't know wich one. Any suggestions :?:
MAGiC

Post by MAGiC » #44308

I suck at making lists. I like things in no order. And I like a lot of things. So if I gotta say 10 movies that are always on my mind it goes like...

-Chinatown, by Roman Polanski
-Risky Business, by Paul Brickman
-Trash Humpers, by Harmony Korine
-Thief, by Michael Mann
-Lawrence of Arabia, by David Lean
-Basic Instinct, by Paul Verhoeven
-Under the Volcano, by John Huston
-Death Becomes Her, by Robert Zemeckis
-After Hours, by Scorsese
-Videodrome, by David Cronenberg

Oh, and all the John Carpenter filmography. The man knows how to make a fun movie.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #44310

I watch a lot of movies and never made a list and don't want to try. I really like the move Star Dust though but no one ever seem to like it.
Hey.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #45402

I like Stardust, I have no idea why so many people dislike it.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #45426

Chinatown is great. Death Becomes Her is funny if you're an adult.

I've been meaning to see After Hours forever but dat backlog.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #45434

saw Antichrist with willem dafoe and that dead cgi fox

my opinion of Lars von Trier has remained hovering around "he weird but alright"

probably might see Nightcrawler next weekend
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #45467

LVT is the epitome of artsy-fartsy 2deep4u trash
Spoiler:
nsos

Post by nsos » #45479

i enjoyed europa, breaking the waves, and dogville by lvt. melancholia was also fine. to dismiss him as '2deep4u trash' is disingenuous as fuck; his issues as a director go far beyond simple pretentiousness.

i enjoy his cinematography and would say most of his issues stem from him trying to force a shitty concept for 110+ minutes (the idiots being prime offender number #1, "what if there was a group of people are only pretending to be retarded?") or done in by hamfisted political sentiments (manderlay).
An0n3 wrote:Interstellar is one of the best films I've seen in years.

Goddamn. Everyone should go see that as soon as possible.

interstellar was certainly a movie that was ostensibly about something

i liked it a lot but i'll always hold it in some reservation because

a) most unnatural direction of dialogue i've seen in a long time (the pure exposition, but i suppose this part was a necessary evil. the monologues about love and warm feelings inter-spliced with cuts of someone else's face made me want to lobotomize myself).

b) the plot is just... i got done and was like, "what was the fucking point of that?" they also hand-wave away major fucking plot holes and the way they do it makes sense and is agreeable, but it doesn't make it any less cheap. but that's Christopher Nolan post-momento films in general.

all in all though the cinematography and art direction is GORGEOUS. unlike anything I've ever seen in scifi or hollywood films in general. that alone will probably put it in a well-deserved spot in film history.

also: i think this film brings Nolan's "Protagonist With Dead Wife" count up to five.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #46280

Interstellar was brilliant. More science fiction movies need a sarcastic robot.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #47302

An0n3 wrote:Yeah it looks really fucking good.

I want to see that and John Wick.

Also I totally missed the Grand Budapest Hotel so that's next on my watch list.
Grand Budapest Hotel isn't an important movie but it's a good highbrow comedy. Saw it with family and enjoyed it more than anything else I've watched in a long time.

You guys know a lot more about movies than me, but I really liked Lucky Number Sleven. And 12 Monkeys. I love Bruce Willis in everything except Die Hard.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #47306

>Not liking Die Hard

Spoiler:
Preamble
Byond Username: Preamble

Post by Preamble » #47307

Literally no mention of the godfather or Leon the professional.
Shameful display.
MAGiC

Post by MAGiC » #49104

It's almost the right time to start re-watching Die Hard and Shane Black movies!!
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #49275

i fucking love indiana jones man
perfect movies
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #51989

An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #52385

Ricotez wrote:I like Stardust, I have no idea why so many people dislike it.
Will you be my friend
Hey.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #52432

Spoiler:
s-senpai noticed me
Spoiler:
nsos

Post by nsos » #56994

let me fucking tell you about film

nsos

Post by nsos » #59387

oscar nominations came out
Spoiler:
Oyelowo, Fiennes and Gyllenhaal all got robbed on Best Actor I think, along with Nightcrawler & Gone Girl on the whole. Interstellar got nominated for the wrong shit (sound design but not cinematography?). Selma could have gotten a nod for director but I think it's getting unfairly pegged as nothing but white guilt oscar bait when it's an excellent biopic especially from a director doing their 2nd movie ever. Boyhood and American Sniper (or specifically Bradley Cooper) probably shouldn't have gotten that many nominations. Lego Movie got robbed but whatever the animated section has been a joke for years. Does the Academy just nominated Meryl Streep for anything she does now? Must investigate further.

Woman mispronouncing Dick Pope as Dick Poop is probably the best part of this year's processions.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #59403

Last year most of the people who decide the Academy Awards only watched Frozen in the animated section, and some of them not even that. They've admitted to this themselves. I don't know why they even bother with animated movies anymore, they're clearly some kind of joke to the Academy.

Interstellar had an amazing soundtrack that was also impossible to miss because it was so loud. It worked in a theatre, but I wonder what it'll do to home cinemas.
Spoiler:
rook

Post by rook » #59407

MAGiC wrote:-Trash Humpers, by Harmony Korine
i read somewhere that korine was thinking about putting trash humpers on a vhs tape and leaving it in the streets for people to find. it would have been fucking horrifying to be the one to find it.

also here's a good movie:
Snake2512
Byond Username: Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » #59425

>no mention of A Bridge too Far or Stalingrad (1993)
Reimoo wrote:If you guys like movies about religion (not religious movies, there is in fact, a difference), Doubt and Kingdom of Heaven are pretty good, although the latter involves a lame sideplot about some moralfag and his muslim waifu. Skip those parts.
Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good and yeah that sideplot was lame as shit and they totally fucked up the portrayal of the catholic priest.
4:08 PM - Maccus: you touched me as a kid remember