Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Re: Affirmative Politics, or why Canada should sell land to the Japanese

Post by saprasam » #584697

Bottom post of the previous page:

used to live on victoria, was a good time
dont want to sell it to the japanese though
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #584704

IkeTG wrote:not even close, mayb you should do your own reading idiot
I was about to start copying articles, but I remembered it's an Ike post, effort is wasted on you.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #584706

XivilaiAnaxes wrote: I was about to start copying articles.
that's plagiarism. Your honor, this man is cringe
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #584709

Rohen_Tahir wrote:I don't think selling the island to the Japanese will automatically create a portal between it and Japan.
You underestimate their power
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #584878

Yo I had a BIG thought tn.

I am perfectly alright with ss13 staying irrelevant forever. The sheer amount of people who know about the game due to its imfamy sickens me.

Like in 50 years when we’re all fucking gone and never coming back I am perfectly alright with it exploding or being deep sea trawled from the ocean that is the internet by a select griup of individuals is fine with me. At least then this game will be a genuine ghost ship in which one can read the posts and interactions and genuine characters of all of us. And the internet will just be this haunted technology, full of static images of infinite lives and emotions which give one the peculiar feeling of being watched. As if you’re just a bit off in your desired location in the timeline and you’re just a second behind reality, so are now just a

Anyways fuck this thread canada is stupid and japan fuck this thread
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #584897

In 50 years I will still be here

also this game is a preview of the future to come and if it takes normie relevance to escape BYOND that's a price we must pay for the true game to be realised this is only the beta
NSFW:

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #585026

cacogen wrote:In 50 years I will still be here

also this game is a preview of the future to come and if it takes normie relevance to escape BYOND that's a price we must pay for the true game to be realised this is only the beta
Part of what makes SS13 fun is that the game is woven together from the efforts of hundreds of people. The code is filled with secrets and Easter eggs to the point where someone could play the game for years and still continue to discover hidden features on a regular basis.

A remake can't capture that magic. I wish it could, but it can't. SS13 dies with BYOND.
► Show Spoiler
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #585030

Farquaar wrote:

Part of what makes SS13 fun is that the game is woven together from the efforts of hundreds of people. The code is filled with secrets and Easter eggs to the point where someone could play the game for years and still continue to discover hidden features on a regular basis.

A remake can't capture that magic. I wish it could, but it can't. SS13 dies with BYOND.
Unless someone makes a superior dreammaker language compiler.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #585049

Farquaar wrote:

Who says that a remake can't be woven together from the efforts of hundreds of people?
It does take a while considering you're back at square one, but it's still space station, it's still open source
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #585107

Farquaar wrote:SS13 dies with BYOND.
There's already at least one remake in active development (SS14). If a standalone remake provided the same ease of contributing BYOND does eventually the width and detail of the game could be rebuilt eventually. But would it die a spiritual death in the process? Probably not, because we've been letting people lobotomise the game since or*nges assumed power and most people are quick to forget the things they used to enjoy about the game that have been changed or removed if they even notice them to begin with. The inevitable SOULLESS retards will insist upon themselves and SS13 Classic® servers will exist for people whose lives have only gone downhill in the past ten years though. Midway through this post it occurred to me SS13 servers probably don't need the BYOND site to be hosted and can probably continue indefinitely after the software is no longer officially supported.

Oh yeah, this about Canada or how I learned to stop worrying and love Japan
NSFW:

XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #585167

I've been told unitystation is a thing these days, and fairly good. Just without the years of random content ye olde ss13 has

Also yeah, canada. I guess they have problems but selling parts of their land to Japan is not going to fix any of them
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #585171

They should pay Japan to take Justin Trudeau
NSFW:

Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #585286

oranges wrote:
Helios wrote:I still think this was a good idea
Why would japanese citizens move there, it's far away from their homeland, there's no jobs or infrastructure.

it would take hundreds of years to develop into a metropolis like the rest of japan and who knows what the geopolitical outlook would be then, you cant just take the average population density and assume it applies to empty land, people need things to be in place before they live there.
They would move there after it got built up. At first they would be piggybacking off of Canadian and America, but within a decade could become self sufficient.
There are incentives in place that would encourage manufacturing industry to move there. A lot of Canada's GDP is from natural resources, while Japan has a more developed manufacturing economy. Existing firms that process natural resources (like transforming cedar into wooden furniture, or petroleum into plastics) would have an incentive move there, as they wouldn't have to send the resources across the pacific for 2 months. It would save time and money. This would also reduce the cost of shipping of Japanese exports, so potentially low margin goods like food products could be easily imported.

There's also the undercurrent of decoupling from China, and the entering of Cold War 2.0 between the Western powers and China. Japan acting as a bulwark against Chinese influence is useful, and it would offer a policy alternative to american politicians wanting to reduce China's hold on business (If trump forced Tiktok to be sold, he could force businesses to allow Japanese firms to bid on contracts currently held by the Chinese)
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #585287

Farquaar wrote:Also, good luck reconciling any potential sale of British Columbia with section 35 of Canada's Constitution. You'd be screwing over the natives even more than they're being screwed over now- assuming the courts would even allow such a boneheaded move to begin with.
I don't think so.
I would suggest paying them all off. 1 billion yen, or 10 million USD.
There's under 5000 people living on the island, and over 100 million Japanese. Paying them off would get rid of any headaches. No one would consider the recipient of a billion yen to be a victim
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #585588

Helios wrote:
Farquaar wrote:Also, good luck reconciling any potential sale of British Columbia with section 35 of Canada's Constitution. You'd be screwing over the natives even more than they're being screwed over now- assuming the courts would even allow such a boneheaded move to begin with.
I don't think so.
I would suggest paying them all off. 1 billion yen, or 10 million USD.
There's under 5000 people living on the island, and over 100 million Japanese. Paying them off would get rid of any headaches. No one would consider the recipient of a billion yen to be a victim
If Indigenous groups were that easy to bribe, it would have been done already.

You have to be trolling. I refuse to believe that you are this ignorant. Selling rural Canadian land to Japan will not transform that land into neo-Tokyo. It will still be forest and taiga. Japan is limited by the same development cost constraints as Canada.
► Show Spoiler
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #585589

sell it to china they ll totally buy it
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Post by thehogshotgun » #585647

Sell it to america we need a new state. Soon we shall finally conquer canada