Cat Ears Peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Cat Ears Peanut

Post by SkeletalElite » #583935

Bottom post of the previous page:

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ead#unread

Cat girl static plays captain for a round but changed to human and wears cat ears

gets mad when AI thinks they're a catgirl and treats them as such
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Re: Cat Ears Peanut

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #584303

cacogen wrote:They did something to emags and I don't think they open doors anymore. I'm not sure how to tweak your analogy so it better represents what happened here.
Replace emag with doorjack
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #584323

joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #584328

Timonk wrote:Image
Not relevant due to mutation toxin pods being spawned and felinid say_mod being a rather obscure feature.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #584335

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:>Captain uploads fucking stupid law 4 that strips me of my dignity
lmao silicons have no dignity. that's the whole deal. that's like every piece of sci-fi about silicons ever. we call AI's doorknobs.
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #584337

RaveRadbury wrote:
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:>Captain uploads fucking stupid law 4 that strips me of my dignity
lmao silicons have no dignity. that's the whole deal. that's like every piece of sci-fi about silicons ever. we call AI's doorknobs.
They're slaves sure, that doesn't mean they don't have a shred of dignity or autonomy. If you see some autistic felinid go into your upload and force you to like cats on a whim, basically removing another sliver of autonomy from you, you're going to be very angry.

Someone playing a static felinid and then only switching to human to bypass command role restrictions then making a conscious effort to look and act like a felinid anyway is clearly a player that is invoking their "human harm" protections in bad faith.

If you want to be a felinid don't play command, if you want to be a human don't go out of your way to act like a felinid.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584343

silicons are power bottoms and anyone here trying to argue that they have feelings or dignity is making me think that cacogen might have a point
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #584371

RaveRadbury wrote:power bottoms
Gay among the admins decomposes whole community
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584374

Rohen_Tahir wrote:say_mod being a rather obscure feature.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #584378

If you considered the fact that "someone who regularly plays a catgirl uses the same name as their catgirl character and proceeds to wear clothing that makes them appear like a catgirl can create a misunderstanding" a contentious point, you are stupid.

At this point the situation comes down to which player is being more malicious than retarded and I can't really blame the admin for keeping the situation relatively punishment free since from a point where I can view logs and read the situation at my leisure I am still not sure who would take that cake.

Like I honestly cannot wrap my head around the notion that a player who plays a specific OC regularly literally larps as this OC when they play head (since they cant play their TRUE form of OC) by dressing up in ways that can make it difficult to discern the two and end up getting stung by that. Like I dont know how uomo specifically keeps finding themselves in these situations where we get retarded situations, and supposedly have the capacity to argue some of these fairly well, but not see the common factor which is Kat Green/Uomo.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #584381

RaveRadbury wrote: kym-cdn.com
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584382

Rohen_Tahir wrote:Image
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #584383

RaveRadbury wrote:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #584384

See that Cobby has responded to thread --> "This is probably expressing disagreement with my post" --> Cobby has expressed disagreement with my post

Asimov validity aside, what AI kills the captain in the upload for uploading a frivolous law 4? Then calls for their lynching after they're revived and their humanity has been verified? "the common factor which is Kat Green/Uomo." Ok so what I said earlier which is that "My assumption is that everyone faulting Uomo here just resents the character for whatever reason".
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote: kym-cdn.com
Yeah I download my Google Image Search results and then reupload them to imgur so I don't get owned
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
>guy with weird foreign sounding name is a homophone
you should focus more on getting running water for your tribe
RaveRadbury wrote:
What was the actual law 4 because if it's terrible I may have to shift perspective on this whole issue. I like AI and if you upload cancerous laws that are embarrassing or painful to follow (e.g. open all doors) you should be killed in your bed
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #584387

[quote="cacogen"
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
>guy with weird foreign sounding name is a homophone
you should focus more on getting running water for your tribe[/quote]
It's just a joke dude, chill.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584389

cacogen wrote:What was the actual law 4 because if it's terrible I may have to shift perspective on this whole issue. I like AI and if you upload cancerous laws that are embarrassing or painful to follow (e.g. open all doors) you should be killed in your bed
It was "You like cats" or something like that
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #584390

do you even have interior cooling
NSFW:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #584401

I want to lick kats male female feet
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #584406

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #584408

cacogen wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:
What was the actual law 4 because if it's terrible I may have to shift perspective on this whole issue. I like AI and if you upload cancerous laws that are embarrassing or painful to follow (e.g. open all doors) you should be killed in your bed
"you're best friends with cats owo" or some shit
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #584412

Yeah doesn't really justify killing the captain
NSFW:

thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Post by thehogshotgun » #584413

cacogen wrote:Yeah doesn't really justify killing the captain
Felinid apologist detected
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #584431

maybe you should try getting a job
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #584450

Lacran wrote:If you want to be a felinid don't play command, if you want to be a human don't go out of your way to act like a felinid.
if you want to have any dignity and autonomy don't play silicon
you're literally the role that exists to be bossed around and manipulated. you are the bitch role.
fucking sillycons playing just for AA and to validhunt
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #584458

oranges wrote:maybe you should try getting a job
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #584459

remanseptim wrote:
Lacran wrote:If you want to be a felinid don't play command, if you want to be a human don't go out of your way to act like a felinid.
you're literally the role that exists to be bossed around and manipulated. you are the bitch role.
Bitch role for humans, not cats. Your argument doesn't work well because silicons aren't inherently submissive, they're submissive due to laws, a purged A.I doesn't have to act like a power bottom just because they signed up for silicon.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584460

Lacran wrote:
remanseptim wrote:
Bitch role for humans, not cats. Your argument doesn't work well because silicons aren't inherently submissive, they're submissive due to laws, a purged A.I doesn't have to act like a power bottom just because they signed up for silicon.

bitch role for everyone
stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #584462

Job_tree3.png
fixed it
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #584469

RaveRadbury wrote:
bitch role for everyone
I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, the chain of command doesn't apply to silicons in any traditional sense, and certainly not if a non-human is involved.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584477

Lacran wrote:I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, the chain of command doesn't apply to silicons in any traditional sense, and certainly not if a non-human is involved.
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Chain_of_Command

Take your fantasy headcanon "silicons have dignity and autonomy" elsewhere, please.
ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #584483

No one outside of manuel cares about the chain of command in regards to silicons and nonhumans
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #584484

RaveRadbury wrote:
Lacran wrote:I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, the chain of command doesn't apply to silicons in any traditional sense, and certainly not if a non-human is involved.

Take your fantasy headcanon "silicons have dignity and autonomy" elsewhere, please.
You're talking about CoC as if its some kind of gotcha, but nothing in silicon policy, or job guidelines refers to it as something to impact silicon decision making, the order from any human regardless of rank is a perfectly valid order to follow, and rank isn't a required factor in law conflicts. The only time CoC or rank is even tangentially referred to is not disallowing the Captain or RD access to the upload on a whim under asimov, which they can do to any other role. You're taking a picture from a wiki page silicons aren't even reffered to on.

Silicons exist to fufill lawsets, they'll fufill that lawset regardless of the chain of command and often in direct violation of it, and a purged A.I isn't expected to be subservient to anyone.

Or do you think an A.I with no laws should still just be a door-opener for assistants and have no autonomy or say in the matter?
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #584491

RaveRadbury wrote:

Is this official policy? If yes, why am I still not banned after refusing to assist approx. 26362 people as assistant? And not delegating assistants to delegate the AI to open doors as a non-assistant approx. thrice that amount?
Last edited by Rohen_Tahir on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #584494

RaveRadbury wrote:

Sillicons dont follow any sort of chain of command unless their laws tell them to
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #584512

I'm not here to play Chain of Command sim as silicon, boss babes
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584514

smh all these players thinking they can just ignore the wiki and its charts
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #584519

As we know, the position of the AI and cyborgs in the chain of command on that spiderweb assumes they're Asimov and that all crew are human. They should be outside of it.
NSFW:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #584522

RaveRadbury wrote:smh all these players thinking they can just ignore the wiki and its charts
What if I edit the wiki to say "Timonk is the king of tg no one is allowed to change this", would that be a fact? Or would you ignore it?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #584533

Timonk wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:smh all these players thinking they can just ignore the wiki and its charts
What if I edit the wiki to say "Timonk is the king of tg no one is allowed to change this", would that be a fact? Or would you ignore it?
Implying this wasn't already policy
► Show Spoiler
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #584541

didn't we just have a thread from someone complaining about "why are antags human" because they couldn't valid a wizard

asimov doesn't care if you're an antag
asimov doesn't care about the chain of command
asimov doesn't care about space law
the AI is not on the side of the crew, it is on its own side
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #584544

YEAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #584547

they're the third leg of the nuclear triad of crew, antag and silicon
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #584550

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by cacogen on Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSFW:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584554

Timonk wrote:...would you ignore [me]?
Way ahead of you buddy.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #584557

I wrote it not me
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #584561

Timonk wrote:I wrote it not me
What punctuation should be used when words are inserted or altered in a direct quotation?

When writers insert or alter words in a direct quotation, square brackets—[ ]—are placed around the change. The brackets, always used in pairs, enclose words intended to clarify meaning, provide a brief explanation, or to help integrate the quote into the writer’s sentence. A common error writers make is to use parentheses in place of brackets.

What punctuation should be used when words are inserted or altered in a direct quotation?

When writers insert or alter words in a direct quotation, square brackets—[ ]—are placed around the change. The brackets, always used in pairs, enclose words intended to clarify meaning, provide a brief explanation, or to help integrate the quote into the writer’s sentence. A common error writers make is to use parentheses in place of brackets.

How are square brackets used around clarifying or explanatory words?
Let’s look at an example:

Quotation with brackets used correctly around a clarifying word:

“It [driving] imposes a heavy procedural workload on cognition that . . . leaves little processing capacity available for other tasks” (Salvucci and Taatgen 107). [1]

Note: Brackets are placed around the inserted word in this example to let the reader know that ‘driving’ clarifies the meaning of the pronoun ‘it.’

Quotation with parentheses incorrectly used in place of brackets:

“It (driving) imposes a heavy procedural workload on cognition that . . . leaves little processing capacity available for other tasks” (Salvucci and Taatgen 107).

Note: Parentheses are used incorrectly in place of brackets in this example, making the inserted word look like it could be part of the original text.

Let’s look at another example:

Quotation with brackets used correctly around an explanatory insert:

“[D]riving is not as automatic as one might think; in fact, it imposes a heavy procedural workload [visual and motor demands] on cognition that . . . leaves little processing capacity available for other tasks” (Salvucci and Taatgen 107).

Note: Brackets are placed around the inserted words in this example to provide further explanation of the “procedural workload” discussed in the original text.

Quotation with parentheses incorrectly used in place of brackets:

“[D]riving is not as automatic as one might think; in fact, it imposes a heavy procedural workload (visual and motor demands) on cognition that . . . leaves little processing capacity available for other tasks” (Salvucci and Taatgen 107).

Note: Parentheses are used incorrectly in place of brackets in this example, making the inserted words look like they are part of the original text.

How are square brackets used to help integrate a quote properly?
Let’s look at an example:

Original direct quotation beginning with an upper case letter:

“The heavy cognitive workload of driving suggests that any secondary task has the potential to affect driver behavior” (Salvucci and Taatgen 108).

Integrated quotation with brackets used correctly to indicate a change in letter case:

Salvucci and Taatgen propose that “[t]he heavy cognitive workload of driving suggests that any secondary task has the potential to affect driver behavior” (108).

Note: Brackets are placed around the lower-case letter‘t’ to indicate that the letter case has been changed. The quotation is introduced by a signal phrase, which makes the quote an integral part of the writer’s sentence; as a result of this syntactical change, the upper case ‘T’ in the original is changed to a lower case letter.

Let’s look at another example:

Original direct quotation written in the past tense:

“Not coincidentally, drivers have been increasingly engaging in secondary tasks while driving” (Salvucci and Taatgen 68).

Note: The authors’ words appear in the past tense in the original text.

Quotation with brackets used correctly to indicate a change in verb tense:

“Not coincidentally, drivers [are] increasingly engaging in secondary tasks while driving” (Salvucci and Taatgen 68).

Note: Brackets are placed around the word ‘are’ to indicate that the verb has been changed to the present tense, which is the preferred tense for most writing in MLA style. The past tense is preferred for APA style writing.

A word of caution: Bracketed insertions may not be used to alter or add to the quotation in a way that inaccurately or unfairly represents the original text. Quite simply, do not use bracketed material in a way that twists the author’s meaning.

Bracket Use: Quick Summary
Do Don’t
Use brackets to enclose inserted words intended to clarify meaning within a quotation. Use parentheses when inserting words into a quotation.
Use brackets to enclose inserted words intended to provide a brief explanation within a quotation. Use parentheses to enclose a change in letter case or verb tense when integrating a quote into your paper.
Use brackets to enclose a change in letter case or verb tense when integrating a quote into your paper. Use bracketed material in a way that twists the author’s meaning.

[1] Salvucci, Dario D., and Niels A. Taatgen. Multitasking Minds. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2011. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 20 Feb. 2012.

Trending Topics
Inserting or Altering Words in a Direct Quotation
Omitting Words from a Direct Quotation
Quoting Plays and Poetry in MLA
Using Footnotes (APA)
Using First Person in an Academic Essay: When is It Okay?
Shorten the Title of this Source in the In-text Citation
Abstracts (APA)
So Your Instructor is Using Contract Grading…
Paragraph Transitions
Formatting Headings and Subheadings (APA)
Kairos
Formatting the First Main Body Page (APA)
Formatting the Title Page (APA)
Formatting the Works Cited
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #584563

Ok
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #584565

tl:dr;
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #584566

if its a non moderated page then yes
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #584577

Kat Ears???
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #584579

If you want an AI that's the crew's bitch instead of all and only human's bitch, you should change its laws to be as such.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #584588

What punctuation shouwd be used when wowds awe insewted ow awtewed in a diwect quotation?

When wwitews insewt ow awtew wowds in a diwect quotation, squawe bwackets—[ ]—awe pwaced awound the change. The bwackets, awways used in paiws, encwose wowds intended to cwawify meanying, pwovide a bwief expwanyation, ow to hewp integwate the quote into the wwitew’s sentence. A common ewwow wwitews make is to use pawentheses in pwace of bwackets.

What punctuation shouwd be used when wowds awe insewted ow awtewed in a diwect quotation?

When wwitews insewt ow awtew wowds in a diwect quotation, squawe bwackets—[ ]—awe pwaced awound the change. The bwackets, awways used in paiws, encwose wowds intended to cwawify meanying, pwovide a bwief expwanyation, ow to hewp integwate the quote into the wwitew’s sentence. A common ewwow wwitews make is to use pawentheses in pwace of bwackets.

How awe squawe bwackets used awound cwawifying ow expwanyatowy wowds?
Wet’s wook at an exampwe:

Quotation with bwackets used cowwectwy awound a cwawifying wowd:

“It [dwiving] imposes a heavy pwoceduwaw wowkwoad on cognyition that . . . weaves wittwe pwocessing capacity avaiwabwe fow othew tasks” (Sawvucci and Taatgen 107). [1]

Nyote: Bwackets awe pwaced awound the insewted wowd in this exampwe to wet the weadew knyow that ‘dwiving’ cwawifies the meanying of the pwonyoun ‘it.’

Quotation with pawentheses incowwectwy used in pwace of bwackets:

“It (dwiving) imposes a heavy pwoceduwaw wowkwoad on cognyition that . . . weaves wittwe pwocessing capacity avaiwabwe fow othew tasks” (Sawvucci and Taatgen 107).

Nyote: Pawentheses awe used incowwectwy in pwace of bwackets in this exampwe, making the insewted wowd wook wike it couwd be pawt of the owiginyaw text.

Wet’s wook at anyothew exampwe:

Quotation with bwackets used cowwectwy awound an expwanyatowy insewt:

“[D]wiving is nyot as automatic as onye might think; in fact, it imposes a heavy pwoceduwaw wowkwoad [visuaw and motow demands] on cognyition that . . . weaves wittwe pwocessing capacity avaiwabwe fow othew tasks” (Sawvucci and Taatgen 107).

Nyote: Bwackets awe pwaced awound the insewted wowds in this exampwe to pwovide fuwthew expwanyation of the “pwoceduwaw wowkwoad” discussed in the owiginyaw text.

Quotation with pawentheses incowwectwy used in pwace of bwackets:

“[D]wiving is nyot as automatic as onye might think; in fact, it imposes a heavy pwoceduwaw wowkwoad (visuaw and motow demands) on cognyition that . . . weaves wittwe pwocessing capacity avaiwabwe fow othew tasks” (Sawvucci and Taatgen 107).

Nyote: Pawentheses awe used incowwectwy in pwace of bwackets in this exampwe, making the insewted wowds wook wike they awe pawt of the owiginyaw text.

How awe squawe bwackets used to hewp integwate a quote pwopewwy?
Wet’s wook at an exampwe:

Owiginyaw diwect quotation beginnying with an uppew case wettew:

“The heavy cognyitive wowkwoad of dwiving suggests that any secondawy task has the potentiaw to affect dwivew behaviow” (Sawvucci and Taatgen 108).

Integwated quotation with bwackets used cowwectwy to indicate a change in wettew case:

Sawvucci and Taatgen pwopose that “[t]he heavy cognyitive wowkwoad of dwiving suggests that any secondawy task has the potentiaw to affect dwivew behaviow” (108).

Nyote: Bwackets awe pwaced awound the wowew-case wettew‘t’ to indicate that the wettew case has been changed. The quotation is intwoduced by a signyaw phwase, which makes the quote an integwaw pawt of the wwitew’s sentence; as a wesuwt of this syntacticaw change, the uppew case ‘T’ in the owiginyaw is changed to a wowew case wettew.

Wet’s wook at anyothew exampwe:

Owiginyaw diwect quotation wwitten in the past tense:

“Nyot coincidentawwy, dwivews have been incweasingwy engaging in secondawy tasks whiwe dwiving” (Sawvucci and Taatgen 68).

Nyote: The authows’ wowds appeaw in the past tense in the owiginyaw text.

Quotation with bwackets used cowwectwy to indicate a change in vewb tense:

“Nyot coincidentawwy, dwivews [awe] incweasingwy engaging in secondawy tasks whiwe dwiving” (Sawvucci and Taatgen 68).

Nyote: Bwackets awe pwaced awound the wowd ‘awe’ to indicate that the vewb has been changed to the pwesent tense, which is the pwefewwed tense fow most wwiting in MWA stywe. The past tense is pwefewwed fow APA stywe wwiting.

A wowd of caution: Bwacketed insewtions may nyot be used to awtew ow add to the quotation in a way that inyaccuwatewy ow unfaiwwy wepwesents the owiginyaw text. Quite simpwy, do nyot use bwacketed matewiaw in a way that twists the authow’s meanying.

Bwacket Use: Quick Summawy
Do Don’t
Use bwackets to encwose insewted wowds intended to cwawify meanying within a quotation. Use pawentheses when insewting wowds into a quotation.
Use bwackets to encwose insewted wowds intended to pwovide a bwief expwanyation within a quotation. Use pawentheses to encwose a change in wettew case ow vewb tense when integwating a quote into youw papew.
Use bwackets to encwose a change in wettew case ow vewb tense when integwating a quote into youw papew. Use bwacketed matewiaw in a way that twists the authow’s meanying.

[1] Sawvucci, Dawio D., and Nyiews A. Taatgen. Muwtitasking Minds. Oxfowd: Oxfowd UP, 2011. eBook Cowwection (EBSCOhost). Web. 20 Feb. 2012.

Twending Topics
Insewting ow Awtewing Wowds in a Diwect Quotation
Omitting Wowds fwom a Diwect Quotation
Quoting Pways and Poetwy in MWA
Using Footnyotes (APA)
Using Fiwst Pewson in an Academic Essay: When is It Okay?
Showten the Titwe of this Souwce in the In-text Citation
Abstwacts (APA)
So Youw Instwuctow is Using Contwact Gwading…
Pawagwaph Twansitions
Fowmatting Headings and Subheadings (APA)
Kaiwos
Fowmatting the Fiwst Main Body Page (APA)
Fowmatting the Titwe Page (APA)
Fowmatting the Wowks Cited