Germanwings flight 4U9525 Crash

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Sum Ting Wong

Germanwings flight 4U9525 Crash

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #78310

On March 24 at 10:00 AM, flight 4U 9525 crashed with no survivors near les Bains region in the french alps. There were no survivors. Marseille prosecutor Bruce Robin said the co-pilot, 28-year-old German national Andreas Lubitz, apparently “wanted to destroy the aircraft.” Dailymail had this to report.
Another woman identified only as Ulrika told Bavarian radio: 'Everybody is stunned in this town to learn the news, he grew up here, went to school here, and came back most weekends from Dusseldorf when he wasn't flying.

'This is a great loss to us, and we are perplexed to think that he might have caused the deaths of so many people.'

Police were called out to his home in the Rhineland town as numerous groups of journalists descended on the town seeking information about him.

Peter Ruecker of the gliding club said: 'He was happy he had the job with Germanwings and he was doing well. He gave off a good feeling.'

On some pilot forums, friends of the dead man said: 'He had a lot of loyalty for a hired pilot and was a big guy for his family and friends.

'I don't know what God has in store for Andreas but I hope it fits his Master Plan which Andreas was always getting caught in. It's a shame that this one time he didn't fly so good. RIP, Andreas, hopefully you'll get to bring friends wherever you are.'

Prosecutor Bruce Robin said the cockpit voice recorder captured the final moments of the doomed jet.

He said: 'His breath was not of somebody who was struggling. He never said a single word. It was total silence in the cockpit for the ten past minutes. Nothing.
The fire rises, brother.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Re: Germanwings flight 4U9525 Crash

Post by srifenbyxp » #78344

Alot of airplanes has been crashing the past couple of months, good thing im too broke to fly
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #78400

I heard about the crash on the news barely an hour after it happened. I was pretty shocked, but not as shocked as when they followed it up with this 2 days later. What the hell happened to that guy that made him deliberately crash a plane and kill almost 150 people?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #78469

Ricotez wrote:I heard about the crash on the news barely an hour after it happened. I was pretty shocked, but not as shocked as when they followed it up with this 2 days later. What the hell happened to that guy that made him deliberately crash a plane and kill almost 150 people?
"Detectives said they had made a ‘significant discovery’ during a four-hour search of his flat, but insisted it was not a suicide note."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ences.html
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #78484

The other pilot was apparently locked outside the cockpit while the other flew them into a mountain.
Finnair (a finnish air company) has a policy that there must always be 2 persons in the cockpit. This is mostly in case of the one guy having a seizure or something, but could've saved the situation in this case also. Hopefully other air companies are taking this policy into use as well.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #78564

The Daily Mail article you linked to is citing the Bild.
Fuck the Bild. They're the German equivalent of the Sun, or Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #78631

DemonFiren wrote:The Daily Mail article you linked to is citing the Bild.
Fuck the Bild. They're the German equivalent of the Sun, or Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani.
Plus the daily mail is pretty much the Sun under guise of a nicer title font.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #78646

[youtube]DGscoaUWW2M[/youtube]

This immediately springs to mind.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #78974

Two posts I found on another forum seems quite enlightening.

If it is the case that this guy wiped out 150 people then it is obviously unforgivable. There are now so many pilots sat in the right seat of big airliners who are up to their neck in debt working long hours on zero hour contracts and struggling to repay their loans.

I have been banging on about this for years to anyone who cares to listen. Aircraft are now crewed often by people who had nothing more than the ability to get themselves into £80,000 to over £100,000 pounds worth of debt rather than the ability to fly an aircraft. Airlines such as Ryanair and other companies are happily relieving these people of thousands more to cover their training. What other industry would you pay your employer £100 an hour to go to work?

On the point of sticking a cabin crew member on the flight deck to watch over things wouldn't help much and most companies are running on minimum crew anyhow and the likes of Ryanair are talking about wanting just one pilot at the controls!
The fact is that there seems to be a sort of an outbreak of accidents where pilots deliberately take the plane down. It is likely that the hardships you mentioned drive a percentage of the psychologically vulnerable / susceptible personalities to mental disorders and once this has happened a minute but apparently real number of them contemplate suicide+murder. Speaking as a physician, I would say that whenever we are talking about suicide+mass murder there are probably many things at play :

1. a serious mental disorder, although not as severe as to completely impair the individual, but nevertheless of adequate intensity to lead to a cognitive distortion regarding the future (usually this is a sense of despair that cannot be escaped by any perceived action)
2. a tremendous sense of anger towards a group or the society as a whole, perceiving them as responsible in a way for the inescapable misery and driving a sentiment of "righteous payback" (some psychopathic personality traits should also be present)
3. the determination to take one's life (these are serious attempts) and the ability to formulate and execute a plan.

The first 2 are unbelievably common. In fact, at any given time you would find that roughly 1% of the population are at such a mental condition. It is the 3rd step where most people stop at (there are indeed many impulsive suicide attempts without serious planning but 9 out of 10 times they fail). For every suicide that one witnesses, there are more than twenty others who thought about it and changed their mind.

It is my view that the way the door locking is implemented (and the fact that there have been similar acts in the past) makes it very easy for these people to formulate a plan (which is essentially bulletproof) and proceed to the 3rd step. If these guys knew that they would have to fight with the co-pilot/flight attendants in order to take the plane down or that there would be a possibility that they would be stopped and arrested, most of them wouldn't attempt it.

Now it's awfully simple : wait until the copilot goes to the toilet, lock the door and that's it. Nobody can stop you, nobody can make you change your mind and there is no chance that you 'll end up behind bars for the rest of your life for attempted murder.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #79406

So we need to replace pilots with computers and remove the poor masses again?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #79667

callanrockslol wrote:So we need to replace pilots with computers and remove the poor masses again?
That won't happen for a while. Our technology in the field of autonomous flight simply isn't up to par with the reliability of a human pilot. Autonomous flight is fine for something like delivery drones or a small airlift helicopter, but nobody has made anything nearly reliable enough to entrust the lives of hundreds of people to.

The aircraft industry moves very slowly. Things like electronic displays and digital systems are still competing with steam gages anywhere outside the commercial airliner market. People in this industry (myself included) are very suspicious of newfangled technologies, we're more of a "if its not broken, don't fix it" kind of people. Hell, I still loathe the idea of 100% fly-by-wire aircraft that forgo hydraulic backups. Taking the pilots out of commercial airliners is radical enough to make my hairs stand on end.

That said, it will happen eventually. Airline companies are obsessed with weight reduction, if there is anything they can do to reduce the weight of the aircraft without sacrificing safety, they'll do it. By cutting out weight in one part or system of an aircraft they can "reinvest" that weight into more seats, which lets them sell more tickets per flight and increase their profit margins (along with other factors such as reduced fuel consumption). By cutting out the weight of the flight crew and the flight deck, they would reduce the weight of the aircraft by a considerable amount while at the same time eliminating the need to pay pilots.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #79809

Planet earth where we trust automatons to kill people but not to keep them alive. Antimov when?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #79836

The Butlerian Jihad will come. Mark my words.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91101

Incomptinence wrote:Planet earth where we trust automatons to kill people but not to keep them alive. Antimov when?
Because at the end of the day, it's so much simpler to a robot to end a life than to save it. One merely requires well-timed application of great force, but the other may require varying, unpredictable, and constant effort for a long period of time without mistakes.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #91159

Yeah why would things that don't need to sleep or use the bathroom do well at a prolonged task on a vehicle that needs to be powered anyway?