what are YOU reading?

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

what are YOU reading?

Post by wesoda25 » #687632

Made it my goal to read more this summer. I've started by checking out old, wacky sci-fi and fantasy. I'll post my updates on whats good or not, I just had the displeasure of getting halfway through an AWFUL sci fi called "Blood Music." I chose it bc it had a cool cover but... woof. Decided to toss that and start "A Face in the Frost" which is shaping up to be a MUCH more fun and interesting little wizard story.

Also just recently finished my first re-read of game of thrones. I fell down some crazy but surface level theory rabbit holes on youtube from the likes of Preston Jacobs. Adds a new light to almost all character motivations and actions, which is fun. The Danny arc in particular has been worthwhile rereading, simply in trying to decipher the schemes of all the people involved with her. The Night Watch story with Jon is still awesome as well. I feel as if given the nature of Jon it's presented very simply, but there is SO much going on behind the scenes (more than just bloodraven :p ). His decision with the pink letter still infuriates me, but I doubt whether I can even take his speech at face value. ugh

My favorite part in re-reading is getting to enjoy the riverlands chapters again. I simply love Arya and Brienne's odd and awful adventures through the wet, war-torn region with their odd little band of survivors. The ever looming threat of rain, flooding, and senseless violence adds a real thrill and vividness to the chapters for me. Combined with that are some incredibly compelling monologues and character arcs. I now have a very tender spot in my heart for Septon Meribald's oranges and Arya's visit to Acorn Hall. Those little acts of compassion and kindness in the midst of the depravity of war are very heartwarming, GRRM is really a fantastic writer. Fingers crossed that we see WoW in the next decade!

ALSO reading Little Women, a chapter each night before bed. I'm not sure if or when the girls' little world will be spoiled, but currently it's a very comforting read that I've really come around to. At first I was quite bored and wrote it off as being dated, but its sweet and perhaps deceptively simple world has really grown on me.
[this space reserved]
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Re: what are YOU reading?

Post by kinnebian » #687704

im reading the ciaphas cain trilogy right now, and its really good if youre into warhammer whatsoever
also finished house of leaves a week back, and it is a really good read if youre into mind bending shittery
respect (let him do his thing)
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #687825

This isn't related at all to what you're reading, but one of my favourite books is "Dreyer's English: An utterly correct guide to clarity and style". It's written by a copyeditor and you can tell — every word, every punctuation mark is in its perfect place. It's just so east to read. It even has specific sections that mention "oh, this rule doesn't apply in Britain" or "If you're in America, instead you have to do x"
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #687832

WineAllWine wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:50 pm This isn't related at all to what you're reading, but one of my favourite books is "Dreyer's English: An utterly correct guide to clarity and style". It's written by a copyeditor and you can tell — every word, every punctuation mark is in its perfect place. It's just so east to read. It even has specific sections that mention "oh, this rule doesn't apply in Britain" or "If you're in America, instead you have to do x"
this sounds awful and wonderful, i want to read it
respect (let him do his thing)
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #687835

I'm about to start Empire of a Vampire on a friends recommendation. This months book club book is Thistlefoot. Last month was Song of Achilles, before that was Moonraker. I've also been slamming through litrpg and cultivation novels. Like four in the last two weeks.

I still can't convince anyone to read Practical Guide to Evil.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #687836

kinnebian wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:16 am
WineAllWine wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:50 pm This isn't related at all to what you're reading, but one of my favourite books is "Dreyer's English: An utterly correct guide to clarity and style". It's written by a copyeditor and you can tell — every word, every punctuation mark is in its perfect place. It's just so east to read. It even has specific sections that mention "oh, this rule doesn't apply in Britain" or "If you're in America, instead you have to do x"
this sounds awful and wonderful, i want to read it
Allow me to find you some ""fun"" quotes from it:

regarding commas:
Sometimes a comma makes no sense at all.
> Suddenly, he ran from the room
Makes it all rather less sudden doesn't it?
regarding semicolons:
Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #687839

I read Roadside Picnic recently, would definitely recommend if you like scifi. I also recommend anything by Kurt Vonnegut.
Weston Echard on Sybil
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #687844

but my favourite favourite books are Allie Brosh's books. They can always make me laugh

(I don't get anything if you click on that link)
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #687901

I started reading the first horus heresy book, its pretty good but I liked Nightlords omnibus more (so far)
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #687916

Common Good Constitutionalism by Adrian Vermeule
or at least I was until I got swamped with work
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #688547

I finished "The Face in the Frost." Short, sweet, and simple, which my attention span appreciates. It's a meandering, whimsical little story about two wizards who set out to uncover the mystery of an ominous "force" slowly infesting their world. Night fires that cast unmoving shadows, fogs that can't remember whether they're supposed to be solid or gaseous, and faces forming in the frost on windows. Whatever it is, it seems to be affecting reality itself, and the noblemen and smallfolk alike are on edge... check it out!

Up next, a sci-fi called "The Moon Pool"

As for Little Women, I haven't had the time or energy for it lately, but it will be read.
[this space reserved]