True Detective Season 2

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

True Detective Season 2

Post by Timbrewolf » #97849

It begins!

If you didn't watch the first season you missed out on one of the best television programs ever.
I really don't know what else to say about it. If you don't want to watch it it's truly your own loss. Matthew McConaughey's performance in it is legendary and the show won its share of rewards.

Now that this season of Game of Thrones is over, True Detective is taking its place as the most important thing on TV.

EDIT: AND YEAH this season, just like the first season, propels itself into fucking weird territory as fast as possible.

DOUBLE EDIT: The two seasons aren't connected. The first season is its own story arc that ends when the first season ends. The second season is a new story with new characters.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Re: True Detective Season 2

Post by Amnestik » #97928

That was pretty terrible. I wanted to enjoy it, after how amazing season 1 was, but it just tried too hard to be something it wasn't. Full of bad acting, unconvincing character actions and poor dialogue. The best part was the intro sequence and the first couple of minutes afterwards.

I couldn't help but lament the amount of money HBO must've spent making this piece of shit. The various aerial tracking shots couldn't have been cheap.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #97975

Is Colin Farrel on the screen? Okay good. This scene will be good. It will be shot well and acted well.
Is Colin Farrel not on the screen? Stare questionably at the screen and hope they button this up for the next episode.

The dialog is great. The characters are great. Once again it's a really brilliantly written show. But the performances weren't always there and the cinematography wasn't as good as the first season's at times.

I still enjoyed it but I think it needs just a little more time to shape up.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #98116

good about ep 1:
colin farrel's scenes
leonard cohen
bar scene
taylor kitsch looks like keanu and appears to be as equally insane as keanu
little details like the literary references (if season 1 was close to the Minotaur myth, season 2 seems to be closer to Oedipus - up to the point where the greek tragedy references become suffocating with antigony and athena) and the reference to the Luna Park Ghost Train fire during the aspen conroy scene like what the hell who looks up shit like that for minor background scenery?
can only get better from here

things i didn't like about ep 1:
vince vaughn made like the same facial expression nearly ever single scene he was in even when it didn't actually fit.
semyon's wife didn't act well
some of these scenes are really missing jun cary fukunaga in terms of the cinematography section
every time rachel mcadams is on screen we got a fuckton of exposition for better or worse (mostly worse). last season's narrator really helped with offsetting some of the load of this. when it's just the plot stopping so that her dad and sister can her entire life and the exact background that caused her to act this way to her face, it's like fuck come on show some of it instead of telling.
i did not care about taylor kitsch or anything he was doing until like the last 10 minutes of the show.
is david morse wearing a wig?
"can only get better from here" is not a compliment
nsos

Post by nsos » #98118

Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #98170

An0n3 wrote:The dialog is great. The characters are great. Once again it's a really brilliantly written show.
I wish I agreed. A lot of the dialogue was either cringeworthy or borderline for me. The "Never do anything out of hunger. Even eating." line, for example. I agreed with the principle, but the line sounded pretty idiotic.

The entire "Ass-pen" scene was ridiculous, as was the one where Colin Farrell brings the tent to his son's school and calls him a fat pussy. It felt like we were supposed to respect the intention behind his actions, but it just ended up being farcical.

Overall, the show just took itself way too seriously, which would be fine if it actually commanded respect instead of just being laughable.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #98236

I tried to watch the first season, and did in its entirety, but I couldn't understand half of the plot because of McConaughey's thickest Bubba Gump Shrimp accent.
Probably didn't help that it didn't click with me until near the end of the season that the story the two were telling to the detective's was mostly grade A bullshit and the flashbacks were what really happened.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #98449

Amnestik wrote:
An0n3 wrote:The dialog is great. The characters are great. Once again it's a really brilliantly written show.
I wish I agreed. A lot of the dialogue was either cringeworthy or borderline for me. The "Never do anything out of hunger. Even eating." line, for example. I agreed with the principle, but the line sounded pretty idiotic.

The entire "Ass-pen" scene was ridiculous, as was the one where Colin Farrell brings the tent to his son's school and calls him a fat pussy. It felt like we were supposed to respect the intention behind his actions, but it just ended up being farcical.

Overall, the show just took itself way too seriously, which would be fine if it actually commanded respect instead of just being laughable.
Come on. You don't like Colin "I'm going to come back and buttfuck your dad right here on the lawn next your mother's decapitated corpse" Farrel?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #98743

An0n3 wrote:
Amnestik wrote:

Come on. You don't like Colin "I'm going to come back and buttfuck your dad right here on the lawn next your mother's decapitated corpse" Farrel?
He was great in In Bruges. I like him as a person. But that dialogue was pretty cringy. I get he was meant to be out of his mind drunk and emotional, but Pizza should've come up with something a little less "/b/ 2007", and Colin should've delivered it with a bit more conviction. I'll keep watching, though. For the atmosphere, if nothing else.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #103969

Spoiler for EP2 in case you haven't watched it yet
Spoiler:
Any bets on Bird Head being Woody or McConaughey?
nsos

Post by nsos » #104117

i'm up to ep4.

everyone's just about up shit creek. my interest to continue watching waxes and wanes.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #104121

This latest episode.

Holy shit.
Spoiler:
Also dat HI Power aww yeh

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #104173

Spoiler:
Good thing they remembered to wear that Plot-armor branded kevlar.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #104369

Spoiler:
Everyone who got shot died, vest or no.

The AK rounds deflecting off the super solid ford taurus were more retarded.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #104391

Spoiler:
That shoot-out. Dear lord, so contrived.
nsos

Post by nsos » #105721

I knew this episode would not even come close to addressing last week's shit
nsos

Post by nsos » #105722

Why is true detective beating up Benedict Cumberbatch
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #105734

nsos wrote:I knew this episode would not even come close to addressing last week's shit
Spoiler:
>True Hairline no longer a cop
>woman busted all the way down to the evidence locker
>gayboi working insurance fraud now
>66 days have passed

Uhh dude did you even watch the episode?
Did you watch the first season? Big fast-forwards happen all the time in this show.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #105926

You would think gayboi would be the one in the evidence closet.
nsos

Post by nsos » #105963

Malkevin wrote:You would think gayboi would be the one in the evidence closet.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #106013

Malkevin wrote:You would think gayboi would be the one in the evidence closet.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #106762

don't they call it an evidence lockup

as a fervent security player i'd expect you to know that

e: i was durnk
Last edited by Amnestik on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #106774

But that wouldn't fit the joke of him being a closet homo, unless you're implying we should lock up all the gays, you homophobe.
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #107650

Spoiler:
the party infiltration they'd been building up to was boring/generic as fuck
nsos

Post by nsos » #107688

Amnestik wrote:
Spoiler:
the party infiltration they'd been building up to was boring/generic as fuck
Spoiler:
nsos

Post by nsos » #107691

the good part about next episode is that David Attias (the wire, alias) is apparently directing it
nsos

Post by nsos » #107696

my thoughts about this episode was that it was alright.
Spoiler:
some shitter scenes but some strong ones too. party scene careened from good w/ ani tripping balls to 'eh' with the actual party kind of being tame as hell after being built up to be some kind of weird disgusting degenerate sex cult after we've seen a guy have his dick cut off. it's just a bunch of old rich people fucking. maybe caspere was just into some eyes wide shut shit on his own time. we got sodom but not gomorrah. yeah, it's HBO still, so certain stuff doesn't fly, but the whole time i was kind of thinking 'oh ok then these guys are just a bunch of rich dicks dicking, i figured that was the surface thing and there was weirder stuff underneath'

sidebar: pizzalord really needs to stop inserting the 'yeah i watched a david lynch film once' moments. not anythign from this episode, i'm just thinking back to the elvis and ray's dream shit a couple episodes back. he doesn't pull them off. i suspect we'll see more fuckery in the next two eps despite all this. i miss fukunaga. i hope the birdman never actually gets explained

i also thought ray and paul coincidentally sneaking to the wall just as osip and the other black lodge fuckface basically describe the entire financial plot from to start to finish was weak. 'we have found ALL of the papers and basically everything incriminating in one go, why didn't we just do this in the first place'. like hypothetically let's say they didn't get astronomically lucky and stumble upon two of the antagonists giving perfect exposition. like why even send ani inside lol
someone else on a different website mentioned that some of the pacing issues this season, this could have easily been episode 3 or 4. i have to agree. but even after all the bitching i made in this post i'm still watching. apparently the finale is gonna be 90 minutes so hopefully these next two episodes are next level
Knaive
Byond Username: Knaive

Post by Knaive » #107697

Spoiler:
The way I see it is that those parties are just the tip of the iceberg, the real crazy shit happens for those only in the inner circle. Caspere was just one of the inner circle who tried to blackmail the rest to gain more power. They sent Ani because they didn't know where they started holding the new parties or something.

Since they've finally got the evidence they need and Ani has that missing girl things should be picking up now, and if they don't I'll be super bummed.

I really hope Frank gets back at those fucking Mexicans soon.
nsos

Post by nsos » #109244

Spoiler:
F
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #109582

Spoiler:
UGG
Spoiler:
Still waiting, or maybe disappointed yet, that there isn't that supernatural element like there was in the first season. This is more of a crime-y conspiracy series while the first season had this really weird metaphysical thing going on. You never knew if it was going to go full HP Lovecraft at some point or not. This season doesn't have that spooky element to it, and that's sad.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #109637

Spoiler:
ok so dont shoot me in the stomach and then in the back while i'm crawling for my gun but who was the guy who shot gaycop? his boyfriend's twin?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #109874

Amnestik wrote:
Spoiler:
ok so dont shoot me in the stomach and then in the back while i'm crawling for my gun but who was the guy who shot gaycop? his boyfriend's twin?
Spoiler:
Weird mystery man. My money is he's the guy who actually killed Casper/shot True Hairline with the shotgun.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Knaive

Post by Knaive » #109876

An0n3 wrote:
Amnestik wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Weird mystery man. My money is he's the guy who actually killed Casper/shot True Hairline with the shotgun.
Spoiler:
It's Lieutenant Burris
He's a former LAPD officer with Dixon(drunk fat dead detective) and Holloway(black guy) during the LA riots, who all moved to Vinci.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #109883

Yeah that was him.

Can we drop the spoilers after this point and just like...put up some kind of warning that if you aren't watching the latest episode don't scroll past this fucking post?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #109887

Spoiler:
I guess that makes sense.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #109916

Malkevin wrote:
Spoiler:
I guess that makes sense.

I didnt want to laugh at this but I did.

I knew what I was going to see when I clicked on that but I did it anyway.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Knaive

Post by Knaive » #109993

So they're giving the finale 90 minutes to tie up all the loose ends, what are you hoping to see?

I at least want to find out who the fuck is the dad for that ginger kid, because they've got some shitty genes.
nsos

Post by nsos » #111206

i was ok with this season i think
nsos

Post by nsos » #111207

it was worse than s1 but on its own it was ok. i don't have any hot opinions to share right now, still kind of digesting what happened in the finale.
nsos

Post by nsos » #111208

i'd also like to take this time to officially start the 'Brendan Fraser for true detective season 3' campaign

it could be the role that unfucks his shit, forever
Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #111257

It was good.
Spoiler:
Velcro's death was a deliciously cheesy spaghetti western cop-out (gettit) and the woman-babby ending wasn't my cup of tea (though I kinda liked seeing the motel-reporter-documents exchange even if it is a worn trope) and I think they made up for it with Frank's walk (though his Breaking Bad abduction didn't really make sense to me, but to be honest neither did the overall plot)
Spoiler:
Why didn't Velcro ditch the transponder? He didn't know for certain they had eyes on him (they didn't, they were parked around the corner), and he lost nothing by getting rid of it. Keeping it on just guaranteed they could keep up with him.
Spoiler:
also all that terrible cgi
Spoiler:
if they had to cgi a car down that forest road because not even a stunt driver could pull it off how are we supposed to believe a true detective could

irl they would all just had to have slowed down the pursuit to avoid paul walkering themselves on a tree
Spoiler:
also speaking of bad movies frank's "you never had your car" moment at the end while talking to hologram wife was kind of trite
Knaive

Post by Knaive » #111292

Pretty meh for a finale, but I guess it's par for the course for this season.

Bring back the s1 vibe for the third season pls