DYEL? (/fit/ thread)

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

DYEL? (/fit/ thread)

Post by rdght91 » #109353

Probably not the most athletically minded group here, but we'll see. I've stopped following a program recently because I've been doing a lot of swimming/hanging out at the beach but I started powerlifting in college and have done some light/moderate lifting most of my life since then. Nothing crazy impressive, at about 160lbs on a good day I can squat about 295 and PR'ed last year at 315. Anyone else like to pick things up and set them down again? I do a lot of BJJ and stuff like that so that extra bit of strength really helps prevent injuries and make sports more fun, but I'm not planning on breaking any county records in the near future.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Re: DYEL?

Post by ColonicAcid » #109356

hi 8-)
my stats for the big 4 are 220kg squat/250 diddlylift/90 bench/120 shoulder press
i do oly lifting tho so my total is right now 235. need 260 to qualify in september so that will be fun.
gotta do PT as well because of my busted shoulder, tight posterior capsule, the scapula of my fucked up shoulder is more laterally rotated and my labrum is irritated.

such is life.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #109419

ColonicAcid wrote:hi 8-)
my stats for the big 4 are 220kg squat/250 diddlylift/90 bench/120 shoulder press
i do oly lifting tho so my total is right now 235. need 260 to qualify in september so that will be fun.
gotta do PT as well because of my busted shoulder, tight posterior capsule, the scapula of my fucked up shoulder is more laterally rotated and my labrum is irritated.

such is life.
220 kilos? Holy shit how much do you weigh?

Yeah, I also have a shitty shoulder so my bench has never gone beyond 225 after dislocating a couple times it doing judo and wrestling. It's like 90% now though.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #109428

Hey, how do you find swimming helps with your physique? I've been meaning to take it up as a secondary form of fitness, as my cycling does little good for my upper body.
Mime: Depresso
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #109444

invisty wrote:Hey, how do you find swimming helps with your physique? I've been meaning to take it up as a secondary form of fitness, as my cycling does little good for my upper body.
You are not going to gain a lot of muscle (in fact, if you're muscular, you'll probably loose muscle due to the increased calorie burn) from doing any form of long low intensity cardio. If you want to be more muscular you should lift or at least do calisthenics. Unless you're blessed with freaky hormones cardio only really makes you less fat, not more muscular. I could point you to a few good resources, fitness is pretty simple if you know where good evidence based sources are but there's a lot of fraud and broscience people put out there that beginners can't sort through. If you must do a form of cardio for some reason to add muscle, do very short very high intensity sprints (100m swim 400m at the longest). But you'll get much results just following a lifting program like SS for 30 minutes a day three times a week.

digg seems to have some weird obsession with "dem long lean natural swimmer muscles" but it's not based on anything other than elite short distance swimmers looking ripped. Shocker, the top 1% of athletes in EVERY sport where being fat is bad are ripped.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #109455

uh im 85kg 5'7 right now.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #109465

rdght91 wrote:
invisty wrote:Hey, how do you find swimming helps with your physique? I've been meaning to take it up as a secondary form of fitness, as my cycling does little good for my upper body.
You are not going to gain a lot of muscle (in fact, if you're muscular, you'll probably loose muscle due to the increased calorie burn) from doing any form of long low intensity cardio. If you want to be more muscular you should lift or at least do calisthenics. Unless you're blessed with freaky hormones cardio only really makes you less fat, not more muscular. I could point you to a few good resources, fitness is pretty simple if you know where good evidence based sources are but there's a lot of fraud and broscience people put out there that beginners can't sort through. If you must do a form of cardio for some reason to add muscle, do very short very high intensity sprints (100m swim 400m at the longest). But you'll get much results just following a lifting program like SS for 30 minutes a day three times a week.

digg seems to have some weird obsession with "dem long lean natural swimmer muscles" but it's not based on anything other than elite short distance swimmers looking ripped. Shocker, the top 1% of athletes in EVERY sport where being fat is bad are ripped.
That's really interesting, thanks. I figured swimming might be a bit like my cycling, which has really fixed my lower body shape, but I figure I probably don't actually need to lose any fat (since a nominal amount is generally a good thing, as I understand it). I'll give the high intensity stuff a look - I've just never really been the type for the gym.
Mime: Depresso
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #109467

invisty wrote:
rdght91 wrote:

That's really interesting, thanks. I figured swimming might be a bit like my cycling, which has really fixed my lower body shape, but I figure I probably don't actually need to lose any fat (since a nominal amount is generally a good thing, as I understand it). I'll give the high intensity stuff a look - I've just never really been the type for the gym.
I don't know where you're at right now, but you have very little muscle mass, you'll probably build muscle doing just about anything active. But yeah, trust me, I used to hate lifting back when I was a skinny xcountry fag in high school, and wondered why I didn't look like I worked out even though I did a lot of bodyweight/core stuff. Following a weight training program will give more results for a fraction of the effort. PM me with your current stats (weight, height, distance event times, lifts if you know, goals) and I can recommend some things or point you in the right direction if I don't know.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #109598

Went to a local gym for a bit, hurt too much so I cancelled.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #109631

no
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: DYEL? (/fit/ thread)

Post by bandit » #110318

used to, gym membership is too fucking expensive now
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #110321

i tried lifting once

it was horrible

No, but seriously, I get my excercise from sex walking around, and I stay thin because I generally eat only one meal a day.

(I'm a little under 2 meters and weight around 55 kilos)
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #110325

>55 kilos

rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #110465

2spooky
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #111467

Eating one meal a day is fucking awful for you. You might feel okay but it does horrible horrible things to your metabolism. Try to get in the habit of having some kind of food thing in the morning to at least prime your body and give it some kind of food energy.

Cardio is great for your overall health and you shouldn't ignore it even if you're just trying to get as swole as fuck in as little time as possible.

To sum it up as stupidly as possible, though, Cardio only trims fat, it doesn't really build substantial muscle. If you're trying to appease the Swole-y Ghost and get dem gains you need to lift. Only hamsters get jacked from running all day.

On the flipside though if all you do is lift you're just as stupid. You'll get big but still be out of shape, if you can believe that. If you aren't working on building your stamina and interior health you can be setting yourself up for all sorts of wonderful shitty heart problems or circulatory issues that lead to shit likes strokes down the road.

Currently I don't have the fucking time to lift so I just manage my diet and do bodyweight/biking/jogging cardio to prevent myself from becoming a horrible wreck of a person. Some of the places I've been looking at relocating to actually have free on-site gym equipment so depending on how that goes it may change. If I had to guess though, I'll probably wind up just doing what I've been doing.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #111511

I got the godly gains gene from my dad and went from 145lb max to 355 on bench a while ago, all in 4 months of protein huffing.

Then I kinda stopped since I only did it to compete with some friends and the highest one could get was 215.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #111638

I was doing fucking great with my diet and exercise and was 3 pounds from my target weight of 205lbs until I switched meds. Then my nervousness that translated into neurotic obsession with my diet went away and my appetite ballooned, and now I'm somewhere between 215 and 220, I think. I'm afraid to get back on the scale.

Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #111713

I think I may have given myself a third hernia.

Fuck.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #111758

I think I found a video of colonic at the gym
http://www.oranges.net.nz/~oranges/tried_so_hard.webm