NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Space Stuff General

Post by NikNakFlak » #326

I like space.
You like space.
We all like space!

I mean that's why were playing SS13 right?...The Space novelty...?

Spaceships, spacecraft, probes, satellites, rovers; All helping to advance our knowledge and leave Earth. Of course, the only other place a human has been to so far is the moon. Soon enough we will expand, and become more technological advanced and I simply can't wait for that! The space X CRS-3 mission just launched this morning in my time and it was a sight to see even if it was just a re-supply ship for the ISS. For those of you who don't know, recently the space industry has been more and more involved with Private Space Industries rather than government based ones like NASA. In fact, NASA recently signed away Cape Canaveral, the famous launch sight of the moon mission, to Space X for 20 year lease.

I suggest taking some time to view these sights:
http://www.space.com
http://www.spacex.com

It is some cool shit.
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Re: Space Stuff General

Post by Rockdtben » #328

Space is pretty dope. I got an IRL friend who is working his ass off to get a job at SpaceX. He is studying how to make planets like Mars habitable.
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #338

I approve of space.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #652

I demand we take more attention of space we need more of it!

Seriously though if we get a properly colony up on mars ill go tjere and make a damn BYOND game for people to pretend their playing on earth. Ultimate irony there guys.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #683

One thought that's always present in my mind relating to space is,

How will internet work? Will each planet have it's own internet, will human occupied space have it's own "Outernet"
A mix of the two?

Because I know it's become common to know that you're talking to someone on the other side of the planet, but What about another planet entirely!

Space is pretty dang cool.
私は完璧
Mechoid
Byond Username: Mechoid

Post by Mechoid » #715

The frightening thing about internet between planets is the fact it will take at least 4 to 21 minutes for your data to get to the other planet, in regards to Mars and Earth. Transferring data would be a nightmare, coupled with the fact that if that lifeline is cut for an extended period of time, everyone on the other planet (Say, Mars.) may be in danger.
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." - Johnathan Rigel, The Horizon Experiment
Little do people know, Imgur uploads save .DMI file data if you upload it as a .DMI, just download the .png file and open it with dreammaker, bam, correct file.
Silicon Scrapyard: http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=290
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #721

i just wanna explore the stars man

i mean fuck, seeing a gas giant up close

PRESSURE SO GREAT IT TURNS A GAS INTO A METAL
you're gonna carry that weight
QuantumDelpha

Post by QuantumDelpha » #788

after i've had some taco bell my gas has enough pressure to turn anything into metal, man
This dog has ringworms, hookworms, tapeworms, roundworms, rabies, ticks, fleas, cataracts, brain tumors, prostate cancer, testicular tumors, ovarian cancer, coprophagia, diabetes, various mental illnesses, along with a laundry list of other issues so long that Santa can't even check once.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/card/1/76561198012600559.png[/img]
But god damn he is the best pet you can get for .99 cents.
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #810

Remie Richards wrote:One thought that's always present in my mind relating to space is,

How will internet work? Will each planet have it's own internet, will human occupied space have it's own "Outernet"
A mix of the two?

Because I know it's become common to know that you're talking to someone on the other side of the planet, but What about another planet entirely!

Space is pretty dang cool.
Well I know pretty much already all sattilites that are a part of the GPS has to have to be updated with the earth time like every day. Also the delay between earth and mars will always be constantly changing at some times it will be over 40 minuites and others rather less because of location of the planets and such and then transferring the data will be rather ineffective because long range transmissions like that have not really been developed for large scale with anything it will basically become the almost Letter system of which we have long ago for inbetween planets especially with interplanetary websites for updating content.

TLDR confusing back end but probably could have some sort of internet just not real time talk to mate on earth to mate on Mars.
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #856

Wireless communications are getting better, but all are limited by the speed of light, which is why there is time delays. You probably could still connect to the internet, and have cached requests as long as you have time to wait. Maybe if there was a constant stream of data being transmitted it might be possible to surf the internet, but the bandwidth needed would be huge to cover the scale of the internet, and it's constant updates.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #863

I wouldn't be surprised if they were coming up with a solution for internet up there.
:^)
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #864

If there is one it will likely be a quantum solution. I think there might be a breakthrough in the area if quantum data transmission but I neither know enough about it or am qualified to pass comment.
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #1050

Apparently last year they confirmed quantum entanglement for messages is currently impossible the data transfer is apparently erratic until our fundemental knowledge of the universe updates. Anyhow at the moment a lot of innovation and advances are still required on sqttilies for creating some sort of real internet to Mars it will take hours to read what you want online from ewrth so the solution is to create some sort of subsidurary internet relay to mars to get enough information that the people on mars are requiring or want.

The bigger issue really is having vast data storage on mars for that information. We have the infastructure here for it but the moon or mars it may be complicated especially the moon.
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #1176

Mechoid wrote:The frightening thing about internet between planets is the fact it will take at least 4 to 21 minutes for your data to get to the other planet, in regards to Mars and Earth. Transferring data would be a nightmare, coupled with the fact that if that lifeline is cut for an extended period of time, everyone on the other planet (Say, Mars.) may be in danger.
I did some Wikipedia detective work on quantum entangelement to see how viable an idea that still was for FTL data transmission but it seems even that is still bound to lightspeed.
According to the no-communication theorem these phenomena do not allow true communication; they only let two observers in different locations see the same system simultaneously, without any way of controlling what either sees.
Oh well. Dial-up is going to look like the shit if we have internet-over-space.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #1199

I mean what about a series of midway internet satellites between the planets

or they could just connect to a cached version of the internet that would update once daily

we are assuming that this is the point where humanity discovers vast resources on planet mars and becomes insanely rich making even the lower class prosperous with new jobs and better wages

kind of like coal mining nowadays

and then they begin looking for ridiculous shit to spend their money and resources on
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #1202

Well even with a perfect, near-lossless transfer of data between an array of satellites, you're still bound by the speed of light, which would mean having to wait minutes for a webpage to load. Some kind of cache based on hot and recently accessed information would be the most likely scenario but you'd also need to handle cached encryption. Not to mention still having to wait for private data.

And then of course you'd probably need local versions of the software running, too, not just the information parsed....
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #1204

fleure wrote:Well even with a perfect, near-lossless transfer of data between an array of satellites, you're still bound by the speed of light, which would mean having to wait minutes for a webpage to load. Some kind of cache based on hot and recently accessed information would be the most likely scenario but you'd also need to handle cached encryption. Not to mention still having to wait for private data.

And then of course you'd probably need local versions of the software running, too, not just the information parsed....
a couple of minutes isnt even that bad

i used to browse the internet on a fucking psp
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #1228

It would be back to basically 1 hour or more longer waits for specific non cached content you wish to watch read or listen to. Not to mention buffering the bandwidth for that system will have to be as much as how much internet usage the internet requires now really. Data keeps getting bigger not smaller
QuantumDelpha

Post by QuantumDelpha » #1329

Comrade Leo wrote:If there is one it will likely be a quantum solution.
i could run the stuff around on sd cards or something i guess i dunno
This dog has ringworms, hookworms, tapeworms, roundworms, rabies, ticks, fleas, cataracts, brain tumors, prostate cancer, testicular tumors, ovarian cancer, coprophagia, diabetes, various mental illnesses, along with a laundry list of other issues so long that Santa can't even check once.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/card/1/76561198012600559.png[/img]
But god damn he is the best pet you can get for .99 cents.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #5836

They would probably have an internet on each world that updates now and then, probably by hard copies carried across.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #6009

Space is the tits.

I live 10 miles from Marshall Space Flight Center ama

Off topic: quantum. What EVE corp are you with?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you