So apparently
https://twitter.com/jimfitzbiz/status/7 ... 1125654528

Britain has some really complex laws. And Scotland may be able to veto brexit
Lawyers will probably figure this out soon enough
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Re: MAKE THE UK GREAT AGAIN

Post by ColonicAcid » #190069

wae ye wee shite i emma goona doon in heestawry as ta' liberato o' scotland wa aye.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #190087

Wales here. I voted remain, because when you have two water taps, and the one that is supposed to be working for you isn't, you should be pretty grateful when the other one is plentiful.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #190091

In the end, all mad dogs bite the hand that feeds them.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #191036

I made a couple of posts about this on another forum, if you want to understand the feeling of a (soon to be) post-doc:
As far as I'm concerned, I will be moving out of the UK to pursue a post-doc career. This is not because I have a hatred for the British public or because I hate the fact that I lost, it's because I have to put food on the table and failing that I just spent countless amounts of money on getting my bSC, Masters & Doctorate for what? Going to work in another sector?
Britain outside of the Europe Union will mean that the science sector will be effectively dead. As of right now, we produce and house some of the finest post-doc talents in the world. The Russel group universities are scientific marvels that ensure that Britain is competitive within the EU. Outside the EU though? We will be dwarfed by both the EU, the USA and China. We will merely produce talents, but they will all emigrate to other countries. EU universities won't attempt to work with us as it would be a hassle. Scientists hate bureaucratic hassles and do anything to prevent them. I also have absolutely no confidence that Westminster will actually fund the Science Sectors to any degree that the EU does. The UK spends 1.5% of their expenditure for Research, this is absolutely atrocious in comparison to other scientific institutions and we take a lot more than we give in terms of EU funding through programs such as MSCA or the ERC.
Please, if you've voted leave, don't attempt to justify your actions to any researcher. What you have done is effectively condemned us to be part of the 'et al' part of scientific publications if we stay in the UK after a Brexit. There will never be another major scientific discovery conducted by British Scientists in British soils at the current rate of scientific expenditure done by Westminster, and I do not expect them to fill this gap anytime soon. If the government can't even get the NHS correct, how the hell will they ever get this?
Nothing has changed as of right now, but there's two ways to go by this.
I can either wait here and perhaps nothing changes, perhaps Westminster sees that sciences are worth the funding and somehow they manage to pull this money from wherever, and they also manage to pay the farming subsidies and also the subsidies for both Wales and Cornwall and other improvished areas. And with this money they spring up massive scientific projects and perhaps even fund my own niche of protein delivery systems.

I move to another country that's already part of the Horizon 2020 or a country that does actually properly fund their science sectors such as the USA or China and I set up a new life there, knowing for a fact that I will have plenty of research opportunities and the likes. I get a head-start in a new life whilst dealing with a new culture and hey, if Britain turns out to go great and they manage to secure partnership with EU institutions I will contemplate whether or not I should go back after a couple of years knowing that I will still have the same opportunities.

Do you see why professionals such as my self and my colleagues are more than likely contemplating our current job offers right now? I'm not doing this because I want to leave this country, I'm doing this because I have to. I'm making a calculated choice and choosing the side with less uncertainty, going abroad instead of staying in England. Post-doc jobs are already in a bad spot as there are more and more post-docs but a stagnating amount of jobs/funding. Uncertainty is the last thing I want and being sidelined to side projects that the major researchers don't want to do doesn't exactly help my resume so that one day I may actually get a leading position in a certain research.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #191145

there's a place for you here CA
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #191148

Consider Switzerland

They're not only great at being neutral, but they're good at science funding too. Not even in the EU, still get EU science funding.
Very little crime, good culture, and their flag is a big plus too
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #191152

Drop the pretenses and just admit you're leaving because the UK wont allow you to research cloning techniques for your Korean waifus.

"Brexit ruined the science economy!" - man injecting HGH into a jar of kim chee
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #191166

>Kim chee

its fucking kimchi u fool, fuckign jap cockroaches two bombs were not enough
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #191171

it took Nigel Farage less than an hour after the outcome was known to withdraw that he'd pump the 350 million that was supposedly going to the EU into health care instead, and it was one of the main election promises of the leave campaign

Spoiler:
more like Nigel Farce
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #191172

Some white dude firebombed a butchery http://usuncut.com/world/muslim-butcher ... trol-bomb/
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191189

England does a really great job of pointing the finger at the US and being like "wow look at those crazy yanks and all their societal issues" while keeping mum about their own. Watching this whole situation fucking EXPLODE, literally, has been a really interesting reminder that the US is descended from England in a lot of ways beyond just the historical.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #191199

Ricotez wrote:it took Nigel Farage less than an hour after the outcome was known to withdraw that he'd pump the 350 million that was supposedly going to the EU into health care instead, and it was one of the main election promises of the leave campaign
Spoiler:
more like Nigel Farce
Can't blame Farage for that, he never said that. That was the other people running the main campaign to leave the EU

It was a silly claim all along
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #191224

Brexiteers:

EU:

The best part of this whole debacle might be that the EU realizes it should approach the unification of Europe from a different angle. If you set up an economical union and then go "oops it was a political union all along", of course people will get the feeling you're power hungry. The EU should've been set up and marketed as a political union from the start, and the economic benefits as a side effect from that.

Also, from a data perspective, the UK is fortunate that the EU Data Protection Directive was a directive and not a regulation. It required the UK to change its own national law to ensure it follows the DPD, rather than simply overriding the national laws like a regulation would. The kicker with the DPD is that it forbids the export of data to countries that don't offer an equal or greater level of privacy protection that the DPD requires. For example, the USA doesn't comply with the DPD, which is why we needed Safe Harbour or a company like Facebook would not be allowed to store data of EU citizens on US servers. The DPD will no longer apply to the UK once they leave, but their data protection laws will still comply with it, which means that countries still in the EU are still allowed to export data to the UK. If this wasn't the case all those server farms in London would suddenly be in huge trouble.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
XSI

Post by XSI » #191283

Ricotez wrote: The best part of this whole debacle might be that the EU realizes it should approach the unification of Europe from a different angle. If you set up an economical union and then go "oops it was a political union all along", of course people will get the feeling you're power hungry. The EU should've been set up and marketed as a political union from the start, and the economic benefits as a side effect from that.
They really should have. People would have immediately seen it as a hostile takeover and then taken action to stop it, as opposed to being dragged into a union like this and having a whole lot of instability and bullshit happen along the way.

The EU is about as well thought out as a brick boat, yet the hope and blind faith from the oblivious and ideologues keeps it from sinking
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #191285

If you really wanna believe your little evil EU overlord fantasy that's fine by me but don't twist my words into it.
Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #191288

The EU can't be an evil overlord, they're too incompetent.

They're more like a kid that likes throwing bricks at windows that your uncle leaves you with before he went for a 'pack of smokes' a few decades ago. We're stuck with it, but we really honestly would rather not.
We don't want it, but there's people who like the thing for whatever reason, and they want to keep it. But it's not their windows getting shattered every time it has a tantrum
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #191295

The point Rico made remains.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191304

Like I said earlier, a big point of the EU was to prevent europeans from getting run over by Communism. Russia would still be a big problem if the EU dissolves completely.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

XSI

Post by XSI » #191313

NATO was the thing for that, the EU as we know it didn't even exist until the USSR was practically already dead
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191314

Wasn't the EU formed late 70s? I think NATO was about a decade earlier than that

Edit: Oh wow no NATO was formed April 4, 1949. I was right on the EU being a thing really early on but it was mainly economic during the 50s.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

XSI

Post by XSI » #191324

That wasn't the EU back then

That was one of three(two?, fuck it's been a while since I got this in school) organisations which then together merged to become the EU as we know it much, much later.
To say the EU was formed in the 50s is like saying Germany was formed in the 1600s. Sure, there were ideas of a unified Germany, but it really wasn't the Germany we know today at all. Just a group of nations working together. (Though at the time they didn't even do that that much)

Amusing topic, that whole German unification thing. Worked out pretty well
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191326

Of course. Like you said it was more of a proto-EU than what we have today but it was forming.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

XSI

Post by XSI » #191354

In related news, before it 404s

http://i.4cdn.org/gif/1467231405586.webm

NSFW
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #191513

ohnopigeons wrote:
Incomptinence wrote:Well I guess ukip leaves that next.
No
Don't worry, NATO will collapse all by itself when President Trump starts trying to charge members for nuclear strike coverage.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191518

What was the 4chan thing? I missed it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

XSI

Post by XSI » #191539

It was a fat naked balding man waving the English flag while chanting "We have voted for brexit, brexit brexit!" over and over in a happy tone
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191549

He had that weird fat pouch that boggles my mind every time I see it on someone. That triangle of fat that swells up above and around someone's genitals. Like...how does this work? What the fuck is actually going on here?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #192625

Farage is out!
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #192626

It was all just a social experiment after all. And a prank.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
XSI

Post by XSI » #192725

He got done what he wanted done, so I suppose if he doesn't have any more reason to stay he may as well go do something else
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #192914

What, he wanted to start a shitstorm and then run away from it?
Con-fucking-gratulations.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #192935

Farage holds no political power, and ukip has only one seat. He accomplished what he wanted, now there's no even real reason for ukip to exist, really.
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #192937

There never was a reason for UKIP to exist in the first place.

Reason is pretty far from their M.O.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #192951

UKIP have been around since the Maastricht treaty and pretty much started out as a splinter group of generally thatcherite tories saying "hay could you maybe not make massive changes like that without asking the public first".
They were kinda a footnote in british politics for a long time until some shit in the late 2000s, like Gordon Brown's "bigoted old woman" and the BNP gaining an EU seat in Yorkshire, gave them a clue that there was another angle they could approach their anti-Brussels campaign from.
That and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of entryism going on. Long story short is that UKIP pitched themselves on the "we'll represent you on this issue that the big parties are refusing to touch with a barge pole while not actually being outright fascists like the BNP" angle and it proved to be somewhat effective. They might only have one MP who happens to be a tory defector, but they'd have a lot more if first-past-the-post wasn't keeping them from getting to a critical mass. If Cameron hadn't promised a referendum, with the way things were going, there's a reasonable chance that they'd have done a lot better at the last GE - or at least caused trouble for the conservatives by splitting the vote.

If Major had offered a referendum on Maastricht, then UKIP wouldn't exist. Either we'd still be in the EFTA under the pre-EU trading agreements, or we'd join in a manner that actually had a fucking democratic mandate behind it, which was UKIP's biggest piece of ammunition against it.

When you just shove people into a corner and ignore them, plug your ears and pretend their concerns don't exist, dismiss them as racists/bigots/uneducated/whatever no matter how minor their transgression from the establishment line and just steamroll your agenda through regardless of what anyone thinks to the contrary, you don't sway anyone to your side - you drive them in the direction of whoever will listen to them - which more often than not tends to be some populist demagogue who'll just say what people want to hear if only they'll vote for him.

This is how fucking dictators rise to power.
XSI

Post by XSI » #192969

Well said. That is basically how the EU operates, and why they're disliked so much
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #193751

Again, SATW seems to nail it.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #193807

Theresa "revoke the human rights act and install blanket surveillance" May, versus literally a fundamentalist christian

ugh
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #194046

why michael gove look like a hairless cat
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #194539

An0n3 wrote:He had that weird fat pouch that boggles my mind every time I see it on someone. That triangle of fat that swells up above and around someone's genitals. Like...how does this work? What the fuck is actually going on here?
You talking about a gunt? Probably the most disgusting feature obese people have.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #194689

I am lacking memes.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #194858

So Leadsom knocks Gove out of the leadership race, and then quits once he's eliminated from the running. Suck it, Pob.

Leaving us with Theresa "Mallory Archer" May.