Based Oranges Take

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Based Oranges Take

Post by Kendrickorium » #624935

on finally fixing the fire alarms to not be annoying pieces of shit anymore:

"I don't agree with this change, minor inconveniences are a necessary part of simulating player agency (by putting obstacles in their way).

If you go around removing or shortening any minor inconveniences because as an experienced player you've dealt with them many times and they're starting to bore you you're actually harming the feeling of player agency and disconnecting yourself further from the game.

This kind of QoL development is an actively harmful way of contributing to the project."

nah i'm kidding youre dumb
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Re: Based Oranges Take

Post by Capsandi » #624938

oranges is right, firelocks are good(and now their alarm is cool)
the issue is air moves too fast
thats my story and im sticking with it
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #624970

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #624984

Love having to get a crowbar at the start of every round for when fire locks inevitably render the station otherwise unnavigable.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #625055

He doesn't have the perspective necessary to realise how widespread the lockdowns are, how long they last for and how often it happens. Most of them go unfixed. Making it so only the firelocks facing the breach activate instead of activating the firelocks in an entire area because the atmosphere on one fire alarm tile is less than -3 celsius a far saner approach.

The only problem seems to be that because the temperature on the firelock's tile is now what activates them and firelocks prevent the atmos on their tile from mixing with adjacent tiles, they never deactivate. They have to be lifted manually, and you can't know if the resulting temperature on their tiles will be high enough to prevent them immediately reactivating. It would be better if firelocks looked at the temperatures of the open tiles adjacent to them.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #626250

oranges is 800% right about the actual point, however I do recognize oranges might not realize how bothersome firelocks are now with the fastmos change. they used to be an impediment/obstacle you needed to deal with, which was good, but nowadays they're a pain with how often they activate, and for doing so perpetually
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #626264

dude one tile breach in fucking chem means the whole station is glowing red and on covid quarantine lockdown, you literally can't even play the game anymore, it's not just something that you need to overcome it's something that many times you CAN'T overcome unless you powergame a stupid crowbar shift start, having them be actually down only in the useful places is still a fucking obstacle anyway
AnonymousForumUser
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by AnonymousForumUser » #626306

When the firelocks are down people end up accidentally crowbarring the tiles under and next to it. There's also blood splatters from people getting themselves crushed, which creates bloody footsteps from all the people walking through it. Cleaning all of this up and having to get under the firelocks is such a pain when every firelock in the entire main hallway is closed. Even if you keep at it and clean all of it, it never feels clean because of the emergency lighting.
OH AND THE FIRELOCKS CAN ALSO COCKBLOCK YOU FROM CLEANING IN OPTIMAL 3x3 PATCHES
(forum profile distorted to protect privacy)
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #626604

You roll late into your shift. You flip a coin:

You run to your station and play.
OR
There are a minimum of 8 firelocks between you and your post. You have no crowbar. You scream for help over the radio but comms is down. You put your lips to your emergency oxygen can and turn the handle.

Iron rod should let you do a slower version of opening airlocks. That's the most soft hand fix I can think of that makes sense. Give the hulk a captains medal for punching through the center of every firelock.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #626607

I would prefer that firelocks be adjusted to better respond to atmos problems than make them openable by hand. If they're openable by hand, they might as well not exist.

For one, they're way too sensitive to temperature. On Icebox, a chilly breeze will put the entire central hallway loop on lockdown. If the station is too chilly, light a bonfire and put on a jacket. Firelocks on Icebox solve a fun problem while introducing a boring one. Imagine a group of spacemen huddling around the burning remains of a poker table for warmth versus "oh, guess I gotta bring a space heater to every locked-down zone".

With respect to air pressure, it's a bit more complicated. But a temperature fix would be a great start.
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #626614

Farquaar wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:43 pm I would prefer that firelocks be adjusted to better respond to atmos problems than make them openable by hand. If they're openable by hand, they might as well not exist.

For one, they're way too sensitive to temperature. On Icebox, a chilly breeze will put the entire central hallway loop on lockdown. If the station is too chilly, light a bonfire and put on a jacket. Firelocks on Icebox solve a fun problem while introducing a boring one. Imagine a group of spacemen huddling around the burning remains of a poker table for warmth versus "oh, guess I gotta bring a space heater to every locked-down zone".

With respect to air pressure, it's a bit more complicated. But a temperature fix would be a great start.
We could also perhaps add an automatic temperature regulation element to scrubbers when the air is otherwise ideal. Because the current atmos installations on the station not being able to handle a slight chill have always been weird to me, seems a bit under budget that the state of the air space station can't handle anything more than Co2 from breathing or a water vapor spill.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #626643

Farquaar wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:43 pm For one, they're way too sensitive to temperature.
Yeah, it's literally below -3 celsius on any fire alarm tile in an area that will send it into lockdown. Someone tried adjusting it to something more reasonable in a PR early last year but it was shot down.
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #626654

After spending an entire round essentially locked in a funny red door box (space lag kept me from moving before opened doors closed again) it would be awesome if literally anything was done differently than it is now.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #626895

Very enlightened take, not gonna lie.

However counterpoint: firelocks are pretty aids and were not always this way. Before fastmos they only locked when they needed to, now they lock long before any hazardous environment exists in a room.
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #626939

New firelocks are kind of hit and miss. Having to reset them at the panel over and over again until they clear is a pain. I'm sure the average player appreciates that there's less of them active now though.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #627040

fun fact: you can permanently disable a fire alarm by screwdriving and applying a multitool to them. (and also reset them back to being on by using the multitool again)
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #627052

I wonder what that does now, given they're no longer set off by fire alarms in the area detecting extreme temperatures on their tiles but by the firelocks themselves detecting extreme temperatures on their tiles.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627121

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:12 am fun fact: you can permanently disable a fire alarm by screwdriving and applying a multitool to them. (and also reset them back to being on by using the multitool again)
I recently learned you could weld them open as well (how long have I been playing and just now learned this?)

Unfortunately though borgs and the AI will lose their minds if you weld them open
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #627323

Disabling the thermal sensor of fire alarms with a multitool seems to be broken. That, or it's no longer done with simply a screwdriver and a multitool and I couldn't figure out the right combination of tools to do it with.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #627425

You have to disable ALL of the fire alarms in an area in order to shut off the fire alarm system of an area.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #627466

I've said so many times in this thread that the way that they work has changed and explained in infinite detail how it's changed. Not being able to turn off the thermal sensor now is a bug.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #627478

thank you kendrick
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #627479

I hate suffercode
► Show Spoiler
mindstormy
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Mindstormy

Post by mindstormy » #628523

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:22 am Very enlightened take, not gonna lie.

However counterpoint: firelocks are pretty aids and were not always this way. Before fastmos they only locked when they needed to, now they lock long before any hazardous environment exists in a room.
On a space station, in literal space, that is kind of the point.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #628527

I agree with oranges for once. I'm all for improving certain things, but if you're explicitly trying to remove stuff that creates challenge, you're kinda missing the point.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #628534

It's alright, if it ever gets too easy I can just buff space
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #628541

TheFinalPotato wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:40 am It's alright, if it ever gets too easy I can just buff space
The space danger can be tested by breaking out of perma and space walking to the nearest airlock.

If you survive easily, then space needs to be buffed

If you die immediately, then space needs to be nerfed.

If you barely make it/crit-slide into the airlock. Then it is balanced just fine.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #628594

^
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #628610

Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:08 am
TheFinalPotato wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:40 am It's alright, if it ever gets too easy I can just buff space
The space danger can be tested by breaking out of perma and space walking to the nearest airlock.

If you survive easily, then space needs to be buffed

If you die immediately, then space needs to be nerfed.

If you barely make it/crit-slide into the airlock. Then it is balanced just fine.
please I can get in there perfect with almost crit walk to medbay wink at the doctor and go down disposals.
Living God

Extraordinary Person