events

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

events

Post by cocothegogo » #628177

can we get more events done by admins please, cant speak for any other server other than terry (occasionally play on sybil) but there doesn't seem to be admin run events anymore

last time I seen one was SCP event done by stickymayhem in like October November time and I play a lot of terry

is this an issue within the admin team where they've been advised not to do events and just deal with shitlers, or are they just too afraid of backlash or is it just a lack of imagination at this point?
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: events

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #628182

the truest admin events were back when i was unemployed in the year 2011 when i would play ss13 at 3 am with only 5 other people on the server and the admins would run psychological horror events to fuck with my sleep deprived brainstem
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #628192

There's no advice against them, they're encouraged, and I think adds a level of un meta-able variation into things which is a good thing.

Personally I don't think I have the right kind of creativity, though if people started a thread of interesting ideas that gets beyond "I'm an OP monster and everyone fights me" then maybe we could source ideas from it.

Time is also an element, both in terms of the time required to figure through something and prep, but also monitor those events during a round as well as having other admins on line to handle "business as usual", during a high pop and even many mid pop rounds on terry for example it's not uncommon for the workload of just handling events (be they things seen or log messages) and tickets to be all consuming (sorry prayers!), sometimes for more than one admin, so there'd need to be a small group probably to make things work out well.

And in fairness I've seen impromptu stuff done from time to time while adminning, when there's more than one of us around and the workload is permissive generally "the other admin" will go off and cook something up, and I mostly stick to smaller things during quieter shifts and otherwise just buffing the threat pot and timing (and rarely exactly which) of mid rounds to try keep a reasonably paced flow going.

Ideas are always good thing, and the hardest part IMO. With free time coming in second.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #628206

Admins should host a space Game-Show thats connected to three disposal pipes.

One room is full of (Entirely Bad Thing) The other room is full of (NEUTRAL THING. Or Good and bad thing at the same time) and the last room is full of (Good Thing)

They should give the player options for how to pick the best room. Like Phone a ghost, Ask the station, or Remove a room. (Which reveals and removes it.)

This event would be highly versatile and hillarious to watch. Maybe set it up in the thunderdome so people on station can watch it in the bar tv or something.

Example: Room full of lava. Room Full of Half Healing Bees and Half Deadly Poisonous Bees, and a Room full of coins
► Show Spoiler
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #628207

iprice wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:36 am There's no advice against them, they're encouraged, and I think adds a level of un meta-able variation into things which is a good thing.

Personally I don't think I have the right kind of creativity, though if people started a thread of interesting ideas that gets beyond "I'm an OP monster and everyone fights me" then maybe we could source ideas from it.

Time is also an element, both in terms of the time required to figure through something and prep, but also monitor those events during a round as well as having other admins on line to handle "business as usual", during a high pop and even many mid pop rounds on terry for example it's not uncommon for the workload of just handling events (be they things seen or log messages) and tickets to be all consuming (sorry prayers!), sometimes for more than one admin, so there'd need to be a small group probably to make things work out well.

And in fairness I've seen impromptu stuff done from time to time while adminning, when there's more than one of us around and the workload is permissive generally "the other admin" will go off and cook something up, and I mostly stick to smaller things during quieter shifts and otherwise just buffing the threat pot and timing (and rarely exactly which) of mid rounds to try keep a reasonably paced flow going.

Ideas are always good thing, and the hardest part IMO. With free time coming in second.

I'm not cut out to be an admin, but i do like to think up funny events sometimes when i'm bored. Having somewhere to dump them would be neat.
For example, i came up with a bioweapons disaster event:

The story:
The Nanotrasen Bioresearch Division has messed up big time. A shipment containing several experimental bioweapons was ambushed by a syndicate strike team in nearby space, and the specimens managed to escape in the emergency bluespace pods in the confusion. Each one is a highly intelligent genetically and surgically modified human with unique augmentations and abilities, united only in their burning desire for freedom.
As they represent a significant investment of both time and money for the NBD, they must be captured alive (or at the very least revived after capture, however this may damage the specimens more sensitive alterations and is a last resort), and the secrecy of the research requires that only command is informed of the actual nature of the mutants (but it should ideally be hinted at in the official announcement to let crew figure it out). Additionally, a representative from centcom will be sent to the station in order to oversee operations and make sure that the truth about Nanotrasens extremely illegal bioweapons research doesn't get leaked.
The mutants:
These bioweapons would have to be custom made using VV, using bodyparts, augmentations, implants and organs from a wide variety of sources. Each one should ideally have major weaknesses (Ex. A fast, bladed juggernaut with no hands or stun immunity) to force them to cooperate in order to compensate. The number would of course depend on server pop, but anything between 3 and 7 would be ideal.
There'd be several "archetypes" with different functions within the team, much like an ERT.
Ex. The previously mentioned juggernaut: A tough armored monster with increased movement speed and dual armblades, as well as some misc abilities such as xeno/nightmare eyes and some minor regeneration.
None of the specimens are finished however, and the juggernaut is very much vulnerable to stuns and stamina damage, and cannot eat, use tools or patch wounds due to its lack of hands.
I also considered some other types, such as an anti-silicon/machine bioweapon that generates EMP pulses (but has little defense against organics and risks stunning its companions due to their mechanical implants and augments) and an infiltrator with the alien ventcrawl/AA implant and perhaps a tool-arm implant that has less HP than a normal human. Probably also some kind of medic and recon type.
They should work together to stay hidden with the ultimate objective to either hijack the shuttle or last long enough for syndicate or independent smugglers to get them off station. Boning would be disallowed unless they are discovered, and then only in order to preserve their own safety (killing people who run into you in maint is fine. Going out into the hallway to slaughter people is not).

If it's possible, any traitors could also get a message from syndicate command telling them that intercepted NT comms have informed them of valuable NT assets within the station that would strike a powerful blow against them if aquired by the Syndicate. Securing their cooperation and protecting them from the crew becomes the new primary objective for these antags, who could harbour them in their departments/subvert the AI in order to better hide them.
Depending on how strong the bioweapon/traitor team ends up being, the crew would also have to be assisted. Therefore, Nanotrasen would send in an ERT after a while if the crew fails to apprehend their escaped subjects. ERT size and composition would have to be customized after pop size and overall threat of the opposing force, but should ideally mainly be outfitted with nonlethal weaponry as their objective is to take the mutants alive.

I'm not sure how well this event would work in-game of course. Making the mutants should be easy enough with admin tools, if perhaps a bit time consuming (unsure if you can "save" custom mobs beforehand and deploy them instantly), but there are many moving parts to this event which could make it hard to properly oversee without a full squad coming on to help. I also considered giving mutants unstable mutagen as their blood type, which would result in any amount of injected blood effectively killing them with the mutagen-to-blood chemical reaction, but im unsure how feasible it is to give mobs a specific chem as their blood type instead of using the abductor implant that randomises it. Overall the idea still needs some polishing, but i think what i have is a pretty robust framework at the very least. Do tell me what you think!
cocothegogo

Post by cocothegogo » #628218

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:06 am the truest admin events were back when i was unemployed in the year 2011 when i would play ss13 at 3 am with only 5 other people on the server and the admins would run psychological horror events to fuck with my sleep deprived brainstem
the true psychological horror was when someone plasma flood and the game turned into a slideshow
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #628226

sometimes its just hard to come up with funny ideas for in-depth things that people will engage with that dont take 600 years to set up
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #628237

Yeah the difficult bit is coming up with ideas for events. Most of the events I do are results of funny prayers or something funny that happened last round (frogmancer)

There is an events subforum I think but it's rarely used.

I am very tempted to do that gameshow idea! I think the thunderdome cameras are bugged but there must be a way round that...
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #628246

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:06 am the truest admin events were back when i was unemployed in the year 2011 when i would play ss13 at 3 am with only 5 other people on the server and the admins would run psychological horror events to fuck with my sleep deprived brainstem
I want to experience psych horror SS13 but it seems like the overlap between the fun/creative admins and the admins who are okay with killing people is pretty much nil.
► Show Spoiler
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #628247

Farquaar wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:57 pm
I want to experience psych horror SS13 but it seems like the overlap between the fun/creative admins and the admins who are okay with killing people is pretty much nil.
Sadly this is too true.
nianjiilical wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:16 pm sometimes its just hard to come up with funny ideas for in-depth things that people will engage with that dont take 600 years to set up
The trick I learned for setting up events is just make all your var-edited stuff on the side, then map-upload it into the round. A bit easier than VVing on the fly.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
cocothegogo

Post by cocothegogo » #628270

Farquaar wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:57 pm
sweet daytona did a good event on revs, they basically forced obsessed antag I think there was maybe 5-10 people obsessed and I had to kill a botanist, and their coworker the chef. after some convincing I managed convince detective to help me kill the chef it was probs my most memorable experience on ss13 in years
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #628274

On Shiptest, the server I admin for, events are the lifeblood of our codebase given its infancy. Events revolving around the supernatural are almost always a hit, although they often mandate a significant degree of buy-in RP-wise – it's hard to run a spooky event if Greyman McTidespear is point spamming and attempting to stunprod all the horrifying monsters.

In fact, I'd venture that a big issue with a lot of events is that they require mutual agreement to work – working together to create a cohesive and interesting narrative rather than "winning" the event for either side. It's a similar problem to Manuel antagonist rules. People have no guarantee that either side will cooperate, so when given the opportunity they simply won't for fear of getting ganked and losing out on the ability to participate.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.