What would competitive ss13 look like?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

What would competitive ss13 look like?

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #635889

Imagine ss13 as a competitive game, with global ranking and ELO scores. ss13 players can go pro if they are good enough.
I'm not talking about throwing out the round structure we have in favor of something akin to capture the flag.

How would you score a player in a round? What are the alterations to the rules? What are the roles of administrators?

Are players scored individually, or is it more team-based? Are points scored based on a judge or an objective metric?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: What would competitive ss13 look like?

Post by Farquaar » #635890

In the grim darkness of the far future, SS13 has become a competitive e-sport.

Matchmaking creates "balanced" matches where players of similar rank are pit against each other. The hub/server browser still exists, but nobody uses it because matchmaking is easier.

Certain jobs and antag types are now gated behind exorbitant time requirements, which you can skip by "donating" IRL currency

Despite ToS banning players for "toxicity", even out of game, the SS13 community is more toxic than ever

Gameplay is frequently overhauled to nerf the best-performing strategy at the last major competitive event.
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #635891

greentext-based scoring.
you get points for each objective completed, based on the difficulty of the objective.
if the station objective is completed at the end of the round, every non-antag gets 10 points and every antag loses 10 points.
surviving to the end of the round(unless required otherwise by your objectives) gets 5 points.
escalation is reworked to allow you to attack people you think are antagonists.
admins roles are mostly unchanged, but they're encouraged to add creative antagonists and objectives.
team antagonists are scored as a team aside from the aforementioned survival points. solo antagonists are scored alone.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Notgonnabreaktherule
Byond Username: Notgonnabreaktherules2

Post by Notgonnabreaktherule » #635898

ss13 speedrun assistant% spareless (silicon law 2 strat)
resident european on basil
► Show Spoiler
do not take books from me
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #635922

good-enough faith frags, terry style, per round average
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #635934

Since this is a social/rp game. It'd be a ranking/scoring system off of how much you contributed to the round

Something like Greentexting: 100 points

Permaing/Shuttle Jailing/Killing/Borging an antag at round end: 100 points

Healing other players: 10 points

Reviving other players: 25 points.

Basically doctors would be the meta strat.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #635967

It was always a competitive game, with the most robust people having the most power over the round. This idea that it was ever first and foremost a roleplaying game is a historical revisionist meme that certain admins and coders have been pushing to get zoomers in on their agenda to discourage what they characterise as powergaming and rounds focused mostly on combat.

If anything, the learning curve and the sweatiness needed to be robust today after everything has been nerfed to be ineffective or difficult to use and death has been made far more punitive has only made things more competitive, like a fighting game instead of the simulation that it used to be.
Itseasytosee2me wrote:How would you score a player in a round? What are the alterations to the rules? What are the roles of administrators?
It's literally just:

1. Did you survive?
2. If you're an antag, did you greentext and how many people did you kill?
3. If you're not an antag, how many antag rounds did you end?

That's historically how it's looked, even if it was discouraged at the time and how this game looks at its most competitive.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #635987

Surviving a round and escaping on shuttle or to lavaland in the case of station destruction adds a suffix to your name
so if your character was named "Punk Umbridge" and you've survived 4 rounds then your name would be "Punk Umbridge IV"
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #635991

Capsandi wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:52 pm Surviving a round and escaping on shuttle or to lavaland in the case of station destruction adds a suffix to your name
so if your character was named "Punk Umbridge" and you've survived 4 rounds then your name would be "Punk Umbridge IV"
He wasn't he re when beard growth was tied to number of rounds survived.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #635995

Nabski wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:20 pm He wasn't he re when beard growth was tied to number of rounds survived.
How long ago was this? I may have never noticed before it was removed
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #636001

It didn't get merged iirc because of the drama involved with cutting somebody else's persistent beard. Also I doubt you could get it merged nowadays if it only applied to facial hair

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/19487