Wine's guide to ahelps

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Wine's guide to ahelps

Post by WineAllWine » #642791

You guys write so many crappy ahelps. Here's some hints on how to get an admin to respond to your shit faster.

1. Tell us something. "WTF" or "Did you guys see this" are completely useless and might not even get you a response.

2. Tell us what happened. "John Spessman is griefing me" or "Charles PolyKiller is a shitter" are similarly useless.

3. Only say something is For No Reason if it actually was. "seccie put me in brig for 5 mins FNR!". If it turns out that you had tided into engineering or shoved him then you're getting no help at best, and a punishment for banbaiting at worst. "Seccie gave me 5 minutes when all I did was shove him" is fine.

4. It's way better to ahelp in the middle of a round than wait until the end of the round. If you have the slightest suspicion someone is not an antag and breaking the rules, it's way better to do it in the middle of the round - we'll just say "we're looking into it". If you wait until the end of the round we don't have much time to get logs and talk to people. This results in shitters going free.

5. Copying quotes from your chat panel isn't very useful and it makes the ahelps into walls of text which are harder to parse. We have logs, just tell us what happened.

6. For TC trades, use ahelp rather than pray. We don't get notified about prayers and ahelps are easier for 2 way communication.

7. Don't ask for what happened as a result of an ahelp. If I was going to tell you, I would.

Add your own tips!
Scriptis
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Scriptis

Re: Wine's guide to ahelps

Post by Scriptis » #642794

from the New Player's Guide,

Code: Select all

A good start to reacting against someone beating your teeth in is by screaming ";HELP <LOCATION NAME> <GUY BEATING YOU UP> IS A <TRAITOR/LING/WHATEVER>."
similarly,

Code: Select all

A good start to reacting against someone griefing you or somebody else is to ahelp "Hey, <GUY GRIEFING> is <GRIEFING BY DOING THIS> at <LOCATION OF GRIEF>, can you look into it?"
also don't wait for a player to grief you like eight times to ahelp it, just do it the first time (please) (i beg you) (only you have the power to prevent griefing)
Spoiler:

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #642796

8. Learn the English language
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #642816

9. Name + Job is very useful to start things quickly.

10. You can always follow up your initial ahelp with a list of other participants and witnesses who may have useful information
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo