Antagonists and lowpop

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Antagonists and lowpop

Post by Mice World » #657849

Recently I've started playing security during lowpop hours. It's been a lot of fun but I've found a slight problem. I can't decide how best to treat the antagonists.

Because of progtot most people you catch are doing minor crimes like B&E or killing head of staff pets. But, again, because of progtot they also have their uplinks unlocked. Now here's what I'd like to discuss, what should I do with them?

Just let them go?
It's obviously not fun to play a round without traitors, especially when you're playing security. But while this is fun for you and the traitor it isn't necessarily fun for the crew. I personally believe that losing is part of the game but I can understand why people don't like dying. Letting them walk free might directly ruin someone's round and doing it makes me feel selfish. But I really don't want to kill them. Killing them can make the round boring, and it ruins the traitor's round.

Right now I usually just chem/tracking implant them. If they seem nice I let them keep the uplink, if they're rude I take it. If they've murdered someone, perma or gulag with the offer of execution. This system works for me but I'd like some different opinions.
It keeps getting worse!?
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Re: Antagonists and lowpop

Post by Turbonerd » #657858

Always brig them if they did a crime. It doesn't have to be perma. If they have an uplink, confiscate it. Chem implant and tracking is good. If they murdered someone, you execute them because they fucked up someone's round on lowpop. If you feel bad for confiscating their uplink, they can try and steal it back from the contraband locker, and that would be more fun for both parties compared to singleplayer doing objectives.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #657862

I wouldn't meta it. If they committed a crime worthy of execution, execute/perma them. If they just got caught with a bit of tator gear but they were smart enough to deny everything, brig them and keep tabs on them after. My treatment of antags on lowpop is the same as on medpop.
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #657880

I would say threat not scaling with pop enough is a pretty rough bug. Like even on pop 25 you get shifts where like 25% of the crew are antagonist.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #657881

Farquaar wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:29 am I wouldn't meta it. If they committed a crime worthy of execution, execute/perma them.
I'm specifically talking about catching a traitor doing the early objectives like putting up posters.

Ever since progtot was added, more traitors keep their uplinks open (The amount has easily doubled). Before even IF you arrested someone with an uplink open chances are they would've already spent their tc. Now because of reputation, most uplinks you get are full.

I don't like confiscating their uplink but if I think they'll soon be killing crew then obviously I'm taking it.
It keeps getting worse!?
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #657885

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:26 am I would say threat not scaling with pop enough is a pretty rough bug. Like even on pop 25 you get shifts where like 25% of the crew are antagonist.
Dynamic doesnt handle pop differences well because 50ish threat on lowpop means you are getting 10 traitors out of 25 crew and 55 threat on highpop means you are getting 10 traitors out of 70 crew
Weston Echard on Sybil
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #657888

I play sec completely different if it's below ~40pop or above 40pop. I even Who to see what it is before I give them a punishment. If it's lowpop and you catch traitors with open uplinks after doing minor objectives, chem+tracking and a brig sentence based on the actual crime they commit is a good bet. Maybe spend their uplink as an added punishment, but don't confiscate it.

If all they did was posters and nonharmful objectives, the main thing is just try to not keep them for too long while you do all this stuff, because it sucks to be sitting in brig for 15min on lowpop as a traitor and many of them will ghost or leave instead.
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #657974

Chem and tracker implant them/release if they just got unlucky and caught with traitor gear. Confiscate all gear. If you consider your round over because your uplink is gone then you're not thinking creatively enough, there's dozens of ways onstation to kill people and sabotage.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #657978

Man, every time I chem+tracker someone instead of killing or permaing them for being a traitor, I get called a bad/boring hos.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #658002

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:27 am Man, every time I chem+tracker someone instead of killing or permaing them for being a traitor, I get called a bad/boring hos.
if they call you boring then just strap them to a chair and toss them into lava, problem solved
Weston Echard on Sybil
Phaseus
Byond Username: Phaseu

Post by Phaseus » #658160

My experience with security on Manuel has always been pretty positive. In most cases they're willing to work with people and keep things away from perma, if possible.
Even had one round where I was an Abductor Wizard, and the HoS spent ten minutes trying to revive me just so I wouldn't be dead the rest of the round.
Of course, it was in vain since it took too long and he didn't have spare organs...
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #658166

Phaseus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:00 pm My experience with security on Manuel has always been pretty positive. In most cases they're willing to work with people and keep things away from perma, if possible.
That's one of the reasons I stopped playing on Manuel, actually. At times it's a frustrating metagamey hugbox where antags often just surrender because they don't want their round to end and they know security won't actually lay down the law.

It's a roleplay server. You just found out the foe you subdued is actively working for a rival faction that seeks to sabotage the station, kill your coworkers, and ultimately destroy the company that's paying you to be there. Act like it, dagnabbit.
► Show Spoiler
Phaseus
Byond Username: Phaseu

Post by Phaseus » #658168

Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:04 am
Phaseus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:00 pm My experience with security on Manuel has always been pretty positive. In most cases they're willing to work with people and keep things away from perma, if possible.
That's one of the reasons I stopped playing on Manuel, actually. At times it's a frustrating metagamey hugbox where antags often just surrender because they don't want their round to end and they know security won't actually lay down the law.

It's a roleplay server. You just found out the foe you subdued is actively working for a rival faction that seeks to sabotage the station, kill your coworkers, and ultimately destroy the company that's paying you to be there. Act like it, dagnabbit.
To be fair, I rarely take murder contracts when I play antag. I never feel like I'm robust enough to do it.
Manuel isn't a hugbox when it comes to actual crimes. When I was that wizard, I was stone animating people, not outright killing them.
When I'm arrested as a traitor, I'm almost always arrested for B&E, pet murder, or theft. Very rarely do I have any murder charges that stick.

As soon as blood starts dripping and suit sensors start pinging skulls, Security on Manuel escalates on a dime. Get lethal'd, nerd.