Local addict looking for a fix

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Local addict looking for a fix

Post by CPTANT » #710291

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35245

What do you think? Should someone who says to make his ban unappealable be able to appeal his ban?

Honestly I think 100% no. If you reach this point then keeping him banned is doing him a favour. People with addictive personalities whether it be drugs, gambling or gaming almost think they can handle just one more time.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Re: Local addict looking for a fix

Post by chocolate_bickie » #710292

nova808 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:31 am After working on myself, I believe I am able to handle addiction better now.
Says every recovering addict. There's no shame in admitting you have a problem but it would be irresponsible for admins to unban them.

They have said themselves they requested an unappealable permaban because it was impacting their real life.

An unban would be like handing a recovering alcholic some vodka. If they are 100% commited to playing SS13 they will find another server but an admin shouldn't make themself complicit in a relapse.
Scriptis
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #710294

i have mixed feelings and will likely trigger an internal discussion regardless
Spoiler:

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #710295

Did he ever make it past 3 months? If after trying FIVE times to quit playing you can't then you have to take the L and accept that SS13 is not a positive factor in this guy's life.

Blacklist this guy. I am serious. This is the ethical thing to do.
Last edited by CPTANT on Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #710300

I really don't think allowing them back within a year is acceptable if someone is hooked on a mongolian atmospherics simulator to the point it affects their real offstation life
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #710305

you can check out any time you like but you can never leave
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #710309

CPTANT wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:23 am What do you think? Should someone who says to make his ban unappealable be able to appeal his ban?
Yes, and no! Here's why:

The point of banning is to keep the community and its players safe, as well as to punish those who perform rule-breaks in order to enforce good precedents and good behavior (this sounds so fucking dictatorial). When someone appeals an unappealable self-requested ban, we must keep in mind that this person asked for this ban for their own well-being (usually because they're addicted to the game and need to focus on some specific moment of their lives, quit the addiction altogether or just walk away from the community) (let alone silly cases). For the majority of the time, it is not our place to decide whether a player is addicted or not, because you can't tell that easily through a screen, so we must go through what they say. However, if a player claims to be addicted, we can do our best to keep them safe. That's where the difference between acceptable and unacceptable unappealable self-requested ban appeals comes.

If you believe the player made a mistake or they want to return to the community after taking a break from it and bringing them back will most likely not further harm them, then there is no point in keeping them banned. We gotta keep in mind that we are adults (hopefully) and can tell when we're ready to walk into the peanutfire again.

The same doesn't apply to addictions, of course. In this case, the player clearly is not well after so many consecutive self-requested bans and appeals, and unbanning them will most likely lead them to a further spiral of addiction.

TL;DR: Use common sense. Will the player get harmed? Don't unban. Will the player probably be fine? Unban.
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #710318

Scriptis wrote: You're really, really, really, really sure this time?
At this point it's just a meme lol
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #710320

An alternative to not unbanning them, is just not doing any more requested bans. If they want to quit temporarily, they leave on their own.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Justice12354
In-Game Admin

Post by Justice12354 » #710323

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:26 pm An alternative to not unbanning them, is just not doing any more requested bans. If they want to quit temporarily, they leave on their own.
That's easy to say but hard to do when you're in that dude's place
Spoiler:
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #710325

I can't even find the motivation to play more than 2-3 rounds in a single day anymore what is this guy doin
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #710329

Timonk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:05 pm I can't even find the motivation to play more than 2-3 rounds in a single day anymore what is this guy doin
In other words you only play for 2-4 hours per day?
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #710330

Can you limit his hours per week automatically? Otherwise I agree with denying it for a year.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #710331

Is it really the administration's job to help with their addictive personality, though?

Of course, if we want to follow the explicit text of the ban, we probably should.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #710332

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:52 pm Is it really the administration's job to help with their addictive personality, though?
It may not be their job but it is something this player has explicitly requested that they attempt to do for him.
And it's pretty easily arugable that their job is "general server cultural maintenance" which probably does include excluding people who are using the game to self-harm.
Last edited by Jacquerel on Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justice12354
In-Game Admin

Post by Justice12354 » #710333

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:52 pm Is it really the administration's job to help with their addictive personality, though?
Our job is not easy to define. We try to make the game enjoyable, I guess. But, if we have the tools to ensure another real human being's life quality improves, I think we should do something about it. While we do admin for a silly video game, we are not bound to it; there are people behind the screens, and I believe it is part of our job to make sure our servers do not become toxic to them, even if the cause of such is an addiction
Spoiler:
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #710342

dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm Can you limit his hours per week automatically? Otherwise I agree with denying it for a year.
Even if we can't do it automatically, it's possible to just track this guy's actual playtime over a month or so. Not saying it's a good idea, but it would be interesting to see the resulting playtime graph.
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #710344

I love scriptis. He may not be Overlord but he feels that way in my heart.
► Show Spoiler
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #710350

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:17 pm
Timonk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:05 pm I can't even find the motivation to play more than 2-3 rounds in a single day anymore what is this guy doin
In other words you only play for 2-4 hours per day?
On a day where I play
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
zergking
Byond Username: Zergking

Post by zergking » #710367

The real solution is to hit them with the cursed clown smite each round they play till they quit on their own
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #710369

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:26 pm An alternative to not unbanning them, is just not doing any more requested bans. If they want to quit temporarily, they leave on their own.
I have no problem with normal requested bans it's when people request unappealable bans where it gets confusing.