Easy Plays exclusively on Manuel for a month

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Easy Plays exclusively on Manuel for a month

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #626872

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'm an ss13 player, and I've been playing almost only on Sybil for the time I've spent with TG station (I have a prior history with other servers of which I will not go into depth).
Sybil was probably once the best place to go for an RP experience in ss13 (perhaps I look at the past with rose-tinted glasses). But now the mighty have fallen.

This will be a journal and recounting of my experiences playing only on Manuel for an entire month. I have played on Manuel before, only in brief skirts just to see what it was like, and my opinion was not too high of it.
I plan to play about once a day (realistically less) participating in a different job as often as possible to get the full experience from every perspective.

I've reviewed the rules thoroughly and it is mostly stuff that I already abide by when playing on Sybil, Chain of command and security are important, Play as a coherent, believable character, not murderboning, but there are a few that I think are too harsh and against the spirit of roleplay in general. In addition, many of these rules are poorly defined and up to interpretation. The "The not-so-secret rule of sticky situations and mayhem" at the bottom seems to imply that you need in-character permission to instigate any conflict with another player as a non-antag, which somewhat contradicts rules 2 and 9. Generally, I'm unimpressed but doubt I'll eat a ban. If not for the fact that I follow them, for the fact that they are so vague that admins will have difficulty interpreting and applying them. But I've not seen any of these rules in action, so perhaps my complaints are baseless.

I'll be playing "Edgar Rohtin" as a static. A Human 31-year-old male with a ponytail, beard, and without dyed hair. Personality-wise, I will define him as an understimulated hedonist who takes much pride in his job and values the word of his employers above all others. This personality will likely adapt or change over time, and it's possible I might have to start anew on the off chance I piss off the wrong meta-clique. I don't intend to go out of my way to make friends or enemies with people, I'm hoping that comes naturally.
Edgar.png
Edgar.png (9.57 KiB) Viewed 10034 times

I will have all antagonists enabled, and as an added challenge I will restrict myself from the 'suicide' and 'succumb' commands under all circumstances.

I can honestly say that I am not too optimistic. Not to say that people are going to hate me, or that I'll get banned, I'm just afraid that it's going to be really boring.
Somewhere inside me has hope that I will learn something important by doing this. Otherwise, I have no reason to.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Re: Easy Plays exclusively on Manuel for a month

Post by Annihilite111 » #628508

Expecting someone to perform at their best every single round is expecting way too much. You're ideally going to do this every day for a month, so don't feel pressured to spend an hour planning a gimmick beforehand when you're already writing up each round (and putting a fair amount of effort into the writing itself). That's how you get burnt out.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #628579

I'm pretty sure there's no correct response to receiving a box of rats, other than perhaps concern that it's an organized crime "I'm going to kill you" thing
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #628590

Annihilite111 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:17 pm Expecting someone to perform at their best every single round is expecting way too much. You're ideally going to do this every day for a month, so don't feel pressured to spend an hour planning a gimmick beforehand when you're already writing up each round (and putting a fair amount of effort into the writing itself). That's how you get burnt out.
Every other day, but yeah, burnout can happen.

Easy, if you'd like, send me a DM on here or on Discord. I'd be happy to help you brainstorm gimmicks or something to that effect to make your experience more fun. Don't burn yourself out.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #628611

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:08 pm
RaveRadbury wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:36 pm Pretty disappointed in the mime round. Putting on one costume for a noise spam gimmick and then dumping someone's stuff when they hand it to you definitely ain't good entertainer RP.

Do better next time, try being actually entertaining. Put some work into it.

All the other rounds have been very interesting reads, looking forward to future posts.
Yeah, accurate. Probably shouldn't have even had the change of mime enabled if I wasn't ready for it. I shouldn't have latched on to the first gimmick I saw.

That being said, what would you do if someone offered you a box of rats? What is the correct response? Start juggling? Maybe. I don't feel at fault for that, seemed like a reasonable recourse. (although I would expect your mime standards to be high)

The round was pretty slow all around, but that's just what you get sometimes.
Ugh looking back at my post I think I used words that are too harsh.

What I meant was that MRP allows you the space to play entertainers as actual morale-boosters. In my opinion the service department is generally for the purposes of providing people with novel experiences outside of their monotonous job content, sometimes during breaks and lulls in action but also definitely towards the end of the round where people run out of content. Entertainers are like bards in that way (especially if you take the musician perk), consider that they can have positive pleasant impacts on the characters and players around them.

You could spend the majority of a round setting up for a performance that starts around the 60/90 minute mark: setting up the space, getting it announced by the HOP/Captain, passing out fliers, etc. I've found that one of the hardest challenges in the game is drawing a crowd and getting people to sit through something, but when it happens its pretty cool. But you don't have to set up for a big event, you can do a handful of gimmicks and swap out costumes as you get bored.

Boredom definitely happens, especially as clown/mime can end up being assistant in a funny costume. Personally I see boredom as a challenge to be creative and try something new, which means yeah I have stood around in the bar/library/dressing room and taken a few minutes to think of what to do next.

If I was playing a human mime being offered a box of rats, the first action that comes to mind would be to take one out, do a big emote thing about trying to inspect it, then take a bite and freak out about how gross it is with emotes, finishing off by building up the freakout to spinning around until the dizziness causes vomit, then maybe collapsing on top of the puke decal. 🤷‍♂️
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #628613

I dunno I might make a IC for manuel or I might just try it out, for a month with ya easy.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #628614

I dunno I might make a IC for manuel or I might just try it out, for a month with ya easy.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #628621

I decided to give Manuel another try, inspired by this thread.

Joined at lowpop round (30ish), no command, no security, around 15 minutes in. There were 4 clowns in the manifest.
I am duffel sec. Dangerous position given the situation, but lowpop Manuel should be okay, right?

Disembark into TramStation and head into sec. Along the way someone asks me to secure the disk. Seems reasonable.
On my way I find a clown breaking into bridge to proclaim himself acting captain, and shortly arrives a borg. I try talking with the clown who seems to ignore me, keeps hacking and eventually rushes for the spare-id code paper.
After dialogue fails I move towards them and they table and try to pie me. I end up flashing and cuffing them (I haven't geared up yet).

While discussing what to do a Head of Personnel arrives and I call them into Bridge. Problem solved, we have an acting captain! Thing is, seems like outside are another clown and an engineer breaking in.
The engineer is a plasma man and is ominously dragging a toxins canister in. The HoP and borg try welding the doors and keeping them out, so I try to head with the arrested clown into sec to gear up quick and be able to respond to this situation.

I leave the clown in TramStation's brig, telling him that he'll be released as soon as the spare is secured by the HoP, given the clown had taken the codes too. When I return later to free him, very shortly after, the clown had suicided. Bit underwhelming first interaction.

When I'm back to bridge the HoP has vanished. Not answering comms, not in sensors, nobody knows what happened. The first suspicions is that he was murdered.
There is a medical doctor who is trying to help out. With the aid of the borg he takes the pinpointer and goes to look for the disk, which the HoP was carrying.
The disk is found in a random location, indicating the HoP was spaced. This helpful doctor sadly goes SSD not long after and I have no further interactions.

So we're back at no command, but this time also no access to it and maybe a traitor with AA?
The borg tells me the clown, the mime and the engineer were being shitters, breaking into bridge and whatnot, but that it left after finding no help in handling the engineer.
So I ride the borg to engineering and find the plasma man engineer. I tell him he is under arrest for B&E in bridge, but he is cooperative and has no contraband on himself. Once we are in brig I release him without a sentence, as there's bigger fish to fry.

In the process of it I end up finding the mime trespassing into brig and wearing the HoP's cap. Doesn't come willingly, have to disable and find a HoP-trim ID on his backpack (but not silver).
Remove the contraband and take him to brig. Give him pen and paper and tell him to write what happened with the HoP, as he seems to have looted him, managed to make a new ID, and he is missing, while I handle other things.
When I'm back shortly after the mime has written nothing, has put some graffiti and is in the process of destroying single-brig things, in order to make stuff to escape presumably. When I approach to talk he tries to robust me, so I disable him and repeat the request for him to write down what happened and leave.
When I return again he has broken through the holding area's maint and has almost left, so I again disable him, drag him back and make a wall where he made an escape hole. He makes an invisible wall and gets to keep his cuffs.
I'll enter brig a few more times to remove benches and things he is using to break stuff and make blunt objects, and am always met with him fighting or fleeing, plus usage of invisible walls. I repeat to him that if he doesn't write down what happened and try communicating with me we'll be at it forever, but he just emotes flipping off my character and I'm handling a lot of things. Later on he ends up escaping, by breaking the glass in brig while I'm busy out.

Things seemingly having calmed down the chaplain says he has steaks in kitchen. Finally an opportunity for interaction! I ask him if there's vegan options, hey, some character flavor here. He says that sadly not.
It seems he's the leader of a sect, and he grows increasingly insistent in my character eating the steaks, to which my character begins preaching a little veganism. He declares my character a heretic on radio and whatnot. Alright.

Time passes, I meet a moth pAI with the bat form and we go around doing sec stuff.
The chaplain declares himself captain and I say nope, as his religion seems to be about eating meat. An admin drop-pods a protest sign saying "MEAT IS MURDER!!!", to which I say sure, and grab to carry with me.

When in medbay we meet the chaplain again, and it seems he has followers. He instigates them to attack me because I'm a heretic (and have the sign), so I withdraw to brig first.
They start breaking the glass so I disable one, getting fire-breahted twice in the process, and finally deploy one flashbang, moving inside.
There's five or more of them, and it's just me, a disabler, a baton and a pAI. Not that I'm planning to fight much, I'm wearing a dufflebag.

They break from behind, stun-prod me, take me to interrogation, strip me naked first and then put the jumpsuit back, begin replacing the floors with uranium tiles, irradiate me, beat me up, take me to medbay and drag me a while for a bit.
Eventually they decide to torture my character by force-feeding meat (not sure how much but I was sick for a long time). Which was, that was their gimmick, human meat. So my chest is infected, I'm irradiated a few times, paraded around the station, brig full of uranium tiles and without my gear, though there's some form of RP going on while the chaplain demands to be recognized as captain. My char says okay, but they keep feeding human meat, so, well, that doesn't work and I go back to defiant.
Some of the chaplain followers keep beating my character up, the chaplain keeps repeating that the gods don't want murder, the fire-breathing clown burns the protest sign and after a good while my character is finally released.

No ID, brig is now taken over by tiders, try to get part of my gear back and get irradiated in the process. Run to medbay as I'm dying, the wild mime appears, flips off emote a bit more, pepper sprays me and chases me but I manage to flee into medbay again.
The sect is there, of course, fall into crit, be healed by the chaplain and leave as soon as able as they're talking about beating me up a bit more.
A security officer joins in the process, says I was probably a shitter and deserved it. When told it was because my character was vegan he says it was too kind and deserved more. He is in medbay getting the radiation fixed as well. I don't see him again.

So, still no ID, belt and most stuff looted, even if I had access the brig is radiation zone, a CMO joins. They call the shuttle and we talk a little, and zombies break out.
Get killed by the chaplain zombie, board the shuttle, end of round.

It seems the HoP had decided he wasn't dealing with that crew and spaced himself without securing any successor nor any gear. They weren't murdered.

The mime player was complaining in OOC that I was shit, permabrigged him and went to brig to stun him every now and then for no reason.
Miscommunication? It's like nothing I told him registered. Tried to have some kind of communication with him all shift long and only got met with mechanics. Oh well.
He asked if he should go HoS to prevent that kind of thing happening. Hah.

===

Sooo, my conclusions...
RP was kinda non-existent, it was very LRP with people tiding everything that wasn't nailed, talking about how much damage the admins allow but calling them the gods, and clicking just as much as they can in the direction of going horizontal.
Every entertainer was a tider, minus one clown who said that all they wanted was to change job and not be a clown. But no HoP nor command, so no luck.
As soon as they had some kind of IC reason to escalate (not sure how valid the reasons were, but okay), people didn't really hesitate to turn security into Chernobyl, fire-breath and loot security and the place in general.
Some of the conflicts, like the mime's, end up with OOC insults when the round ended? Like, it's not even an IC thing?

There's some details I'm leaving out. It seems an admin made me Rebel-Without-Cause custom antag when I was cuffed and captured by the sect people, which I assume it's something like a loyalist when rev loses?
Not sure what to make of it, besides that it was considered an interesting narrative? Maybe taking the protest sign made me valid and I just didn't notice I was an antag of sorts? Not really what I was going for, but perhaps that was on me.
And maybe something else I am forgetting.

Dunno, if it was a Terry/Sybil round I don't think it'd have been so bad. But then there'd probably be other security to help out. Or helpful armed crew/tiders. My experience in those servers is incredibly better.
Sure, there's bad cookies around, but there's no false expectation of RP and people seem weirdly less bloodthirsty. Like, if you don't really respond to provocation they won't generally loot you unless they're antags.
Something, something escalation policy?

I don't think I'll be visiting Manuel so soon again. There's other servers that do actual RP better, and the LRP servers do LRP better.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #628622

RaveRadbury wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:40 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:08 pm -snipz-
Ugh looking back at my post I think I used words that are too harsh.

What I meant was that MRP allows you the space to play entertainers as actual morale-boosters. In my opinion the service department is generally for the purposes of providing people with novel experiences outside of their monotonous job content, sometimes during breaks and lulls in action but also definitely towards the end of the round where people run out of content. Entertainers are like bards in that way (especially if you take the musician perk), consider that they can have positive pleasant impacts on the characters and players around them.

You could spend the majority of a round setting up for a performance that starts around the 60/90 minute mark: setting up the space, getting it announced by the HOP/Captain, passing out fliers, etc. I've found that one of the hardest challenges in the game is drawing a crowd and getting people to sit through something, but when it happens its pretty cool. But you don't have to set up for a big event, you can do a handful of gimmicks and swap out costumes as you get bored.

Boredom definitely happens, especially as clown/mime can end up being assistant in a funny costume. Personally I see boredom as a challenge to be creative and try something new, which means yeah I have stood around in the bar/library/dressing room and taken a few minutes to think of what to do next.

If I was playing a human mime being offered a box of rats, the first action that comes to mind would be to take one out, do a big emote thing about trying to inspect it, then take a bite and freak out about how gross it is with emotes, finishing off by building up the freakout to spinning around until the dizziness causes vomit, then maybe collapsing on top of the puke decal. 🤷‍♂️
Hey, don't worry about it. I really do appreciate the constructive criticism and advice.
Last edited by Itseasytosee2me on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #628628

Rohesie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:46 pm -Snip-
This is precisely what I was talking about, about Manuel having been overtaken by a tide lately. A lot of the longer-time Manuel players are a little frustrated by it, since it's, y'know. What we came to avoid.
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #628633

Rohesie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:46 pm --snip--
That sound genuinely painful. I'm amazed you didn't DC after being left without your gear and with no other sec aligned person on station.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #628649

Rohesie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:46 pm Story
I have many feelings on this. Most rounds don't seem to be this bad; I think the pop is part of the problem. Everything falls apart at <30 pop. The higher the pop, the more things seem to function correctly. Security is staffed, command is staffed, medbay is staffed, as well as the other departments. These are really important for a round to function correctly. Departments interact, you interact with others, see new faces, rather than just a handful of the same people. Bad actors are less able to totally dominate the round. That's why I've been such an advocate of a much higher popcap ever since we got a popcap implemented on tg servers.

Beyond that though, your experience highlights some of the other endemic problems with the Manuel RP environment. People are way too focused on what the rules technically allow (hence all the constant talking about "the gods") rather than what creates a good narrative or even fun environment. We obviously need rules to moderate the environment, but Manuel's RP rules have gone down a path where they've became somewhat ornate and complex, and are trying to define how things should play out in a somewhat specific form. Rules can't be too ambiguous or else they'll be unenforceable and be prone to arbitrary action, but if they become too specific it'll define how things are supposed to play out. I definitely think it's way better to err on the side of ambiguity, as /tg/station's main ruleset generally has through the years. Having inconsistent rulings between different admins based on the spirit of the rules is I think preferable to a complex web of precedents, rules, and policies as we have to some degree right now (The saving grace is they are under-enforced presently, and de facto at admin discretion).

Anyways, these problems, among others, are very disappointing for Manuel. I have been onboard with Manuel as a project since its inception, but I believe we've made some mistakes in the development of its policy and culture. I still play there and enjoy it, but its potential has not been realized at this time I feel.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #628653

manuel being put to death in players club
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #628654

Rohesie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:46 pmI am duffel sec.
stopped reading here
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #628662

Rohesie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:46 pm I decided to give Manuel another try, inspired by this thread.

--<BEEG SNIP SNIP>--
I can tell you what mistake you made: You didn't ahelp and tried to RP it out! I don't even mean it to sound condescending. As you discovered on lowpop command often doesn't exist. The ordinary player-led checks and balances that are put in place (heads of staff, populated sec) usually don't exist and admins have to fill the gaps to make sure the Roleplay ruleset isn't totally thrown out of the window with no chain of command and no sec. Some give is often given to allow things to play out more organically than would normally happen on highpop.

I feel like you feel into the same trap so many MRP players do. You tried to RP it out instead of involving admins. Manuel is not HRP. It's barely MRP. And at its worst it can be lower than LRP. Our roleplay ruleset sets nothing about RP standard. It just lists a bunch of things you cannot do which tend to lead to deathmatch shifts with FNR killing. The rules try to bring people into more conflict that they can interact with and potentially RP through, but there's nothing in our rules requiring good quality RP at all.

Literal brainless, shit-flinging chimps are able to abide by our roleplay rules as long as they play as a coherent, believable character and stay in their line.

I have often said our LRP servers have higher peaks of RP and I've seen better RP on Sybil than I have on Manuel. But I see more consistent RP on Manuel since the players are less likely to be outright killed. The entire time those around you were talking to you and reacting to you, even if they weren't doing what you were telling them to do. We'll often let the story play out when we see that happen. A lot of admins have stepped in to break up those kinds of stories that emerge from the chaos without either side prompting, and gotten the ire of both sides of the conflict for ruining their storyline.

Side note, I was actually the admin interacting with you as well. I dropped you the MEAT IS MURDER picket sign. Then I smited the guy who burned my sign! :<

When you were captured later I gave you stun immunity (Secretly. I also have no clue what it does, but it seemed useful.) and taught you CQC. Maybe you missed that CQC part? It used to give an action button that let you learn more about your moves. I was hoping that at some point you'd be able to use it to defend yourself if necessary.

The plasmeme who dug up the tiles and turned sec into a radioactive wasteland was a Traitor who took full advantage of the situation. I believe that's where your ID and secbelt went too. Dude was a real opportunist. A second Traitor broke into the armory to get their romerol final objective during this, too. The player who originally captured you was a Thief.

I also gave you that special antag role and a couple of fluff objectives that would allow you more room to interact less-than-peacefully if you wanted, announcing your new objectives to you (if this announce didn't work, we should feex).

Since you didn't seem to want to bring it up to the admin level, I tried to give you some interesting tools to play with (if you'd ever discovered your stun immunity, plus the CQC) as well more leeway to escalate if you wanted (via the custom antag and custom objectives) to handle it IC.

Note that Manuel also has different rules on antag validity. You're not valid for being an antag, and the antag role itself gave you relaxed escalation against others (and no escalation necessary at all against those covered by your objectives). I added said objectives (like your objetive for meat is murder, and your objective to deal with all meat lovers, peacefully or otherwise) to give you a bit of power to fight back IC.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #628693

Day 10 (Scientist, Onset boredom and frustration)

I'd like to make this clear that my efforts here are not some fun adventure I'm going on. I so far have found my experiences on Manuel to be lesser than that on Sybil. Generally, it just feels like there is much less going on.
If I wanted to maximize my fun playing SS13, I would have stopped playing Manuel about a week ago, and played some Sybil, Colonial marines, and check out shiptest.

I'm here to learn something. I am actively making myself more frustrated and fed up in order to understand what good SS13 means to me and to relate to you and get your head thinking about what good SS13 is to you.
Also, I'm doing this because I'm a headstrong piece of shit who can't look a challenge in the eye and then turn it down. I will continue to do this even if not another soul writes in this thread with messages of encouragement.

I feel burned out, but I'm not gonna stop. Even though I know I should not go through with something that is causing me stress I will continue, even though I know that my writing and gameplay will suffer, I will continue. Short of being banned from TG nothing will stop me from seeing this through to the end. This is my fucked up idea of a noble charge (or maybe just an obsessive descent into madness). But hey, honestly I'm just being overdramatic. Lost inside of a character insider of a character inside of who I think I am.

I am going to try my best to give the honest recounting of my time on Manuel, no censoring or adjusting my feelings to fit with those around me (like we are all so guilty of)

The semi-believable RP atmosphere which (I believe to be Manuel's only upside at this point) was nonexistent today. I assume this is due to a "greytide invasion" that I have heard about happening on Manuel right now.
The number of actual Greytiders was minimal compared to bad greytide on Sybil (I only really saw one tider) but people were obviously taking things less seriously, with only a few people maintaining a character.

The round started off and I rolled Scientist despite it being at the bottom of my preferences. Science as a job is interesting but lacks direction. Even if you want to do science's "proper" job you are going down a checklist of parts to upgrade and experiments to perform, with no variation outside of the order you do things in.

The captain gave the clown his spare ID, despite never meeting the clown prior. After that, he proceeded to tell everyone over comms about how he had given the clown his ID (Presumably, because he wanted attention for doing such a wacky thing.) and how he would have given it to the mime if she wasn't a lizard.

We had the station trait where most of the lights were broken round-start. The AI announced over vox that Centcomm was bad for breaking all of the lights.

And assistant was breaking into tech storage at round start, he went unpursued by security.

A scientist was breaking the science windoor and table so the curator could come in and do research instead of us. The curator said something about us not being able to do our jobs and needing to do it for us, with no further elaboration or justification less than 10 minutes into the round.

The curator eventually left and the RD and I confronted the scientist who broke down the table, who had no real reasoning for why they had made a breach in science security except for saying "communism science" without further elaboration. The RD ordered him to fix the windoor (which he then either screwed up or intentionally sabotaged to have no access restriction) while I fixed the table. Then he ran away and came back playing the soviet national anthem on a keyboard and generally stayed outside of science for the rest of the round.

I did some upgrading, I did a few experiments, built a bepis. Boring science stuff.

While I was in the man research area with a lizard scientist colleague (I will note that this scientist was doing well acting realistically and playing cohesively), the CMO climbed up onto the counter, and the following interaction ensued (didn't throw any punches this time I swear, kept it professional)

Edgar: "Cmo"
CMO: "huh"
Edgar: "The hell are you doing"
at this point the CMO tried to open the windoor, it buzzed red
"thought i had access"
Lizard colleague: "If you break in to print something your request is automatically denied."
the CMO moved to the other windoor, climbed onto the table, and opened the windoor (which was without access as it was broken and repaired poorly earlier)
CMO: "i do!"
The CMO climbed inside
Edgar: "Use the door next time"
Edgar: "Or ask"
Lizard colleague: "What did I just say?"
Lizard colleague: "Get out."
CMO: "okay" (I believe this was in response to me telling them to use the door next time, and not the command to get out)
The CMO did not get out and began printing something
Lizard colleague: "I don't care if you're a head."

A fight ensued in which my and my Lizard colleague shoved the CMO and disarmed them of their baton, which ended with me throwing them out of the since window into the main hall

CMO: (Over command radio, but we heard their whispers) cult sci
Lizard colleague: "Begone."
CMO: (This time aloud) cult sci
Lizard colleague: "No breaking in."
Lizard colleague: "If you break in you don't get your shit."

The CMO's cries of cult spread misinformation (although there was an active cult, there wasn't a singal rune in all of sci and sci maint). The RD got really pissed off at the CMO when we told him that their cries were just because they broke in and got kicked out.

I messed around with cytology for a bit, my efforts produced nothing but a few rats but it was certainly a start.

The mime was performing and put on an excellent show, although I will admit I wasn't paying much attention. I was busy whispering to the captain about how bald he was, and how I could help him out for a pretty cheap price.

After the show was over I whipped up some unstable barbers' aid and caught the captain alone in the bathroom. If I was a traitor, this would be the perfect opportunity to put a bullet in his brain. But instead, I ambushed him with aggressive marketing tactics. Eventually, he caved and gave me 200 credits, and I gave him a real wacky head of hair for his price.

The rest of the round was largely uneventful, I had a minor scuffle with a greytider who was going around pushing people over, and another minor fight on the shuttle ride home (which due to a lot of people trying to intervene, and hitting people accidentally, led to a pretty large brawl which I took no further part in).

All in all, it was either boring or frustrating the whole way through (with the exception of Heart Emoji's performance, and my interaction with the captain.) I'm not going to roll scientist again if I can help it.

I'm going to roll AI next time because I find it relaxing, its simpler to roleplay, and as long as you are following your laws you don't need to have any sense of apprehension or regret (I guess you could, but what's the point in playing a cold metal machine that can actually feel things?)
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #628694

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:53 pm I can tell you what mistake you made: You didn't ahelp and tried to RP it out!
Timberpoes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:53 pm I feel like you feel into the same trap so many MRP players do. You tried to RP it out instead of involving admins.
I suppose this is a case of false expectations then, assuming Manuel to be about player RP, not admin story-driven. It is an interesting concept, though, on its own.
Timberpoes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:53 pm When you were captured later I gave you stun immunity (Secretly. I also have no clue what it does, but it seemed useful.) and taught you CQC. Maybe you missed that CQC part? It used to give an action button that let you learn more about your moves. I was hoping that at some point you'd be able to use it to defend yourself if necessary.
I did notice CQC at the end, when the zombies had broken out and it was just me and the CMO. The stun immunity I naturally never discovered.
Didn't notice the objectives, either they weren't announced or I missed them, I did only notice becoming the antag.

By the time I was finally healed and able to do anything the zombies were already out and running from them I stumbled upon the vines. Pretty chaotic all around.
Even if that wasn't the case, I'd be a bit confused as what to do. On Terry/Sybil I'd probably have antag freedom to murder, and it'd be a sort of die-fighting situation of me-vs-the-station. Bit of a go out with a bang?
I can't think of much else to do with CQC, no ID and gear, no department, no command or security support, and nobody really interacting much besides to initiate combat.
But again, false expectations. On the LRP servers you expect for people to attack and provoke you, and it's the natural flow of things. In here I was going for an unrobust gimmick, duffel-slow. That did backfire nicely, though I wonder how well I'd have fared against so many people seeking for blood anyway.
Timberpoes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:53 pm The plasmeme who dug up the tiles and turned sec into a radioactive wasteland was a Traitor who took full advantage of the situation. I believe that's where your ID and secbelt went too. Dude was a real opportunist. A second Traitor broke into the armory to get their romerol final objective during this, too. The player who originally captured you was a Thief.
Understandable, if I was the only security member with no command and facing three traitors plus three crew members aiding traitors then yea, things were going to go bad one way or another.
Several lot of the tiders I've mentioned were not antags, though, which was a bit surprising.
Timberpoes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:53 pm I also gave you that special antag role and a couple of fluff objectives that would allow you more room to interact less-than-peacefully if you wanted, announcing your new objectives to you (if this announce didn't work, we should feex).

Since you didn't seem to want to bring it up to the admin level, I tried to give you some interesting tools to play with (if you'd ever discovered your stun immunity, plus the CQC) as well more leeway to escalate if you wanted (via the custom antag and custom objectives) to handle it IC.
Yea, I really missed the fact that I was made a close-quarters killing machine, had no idea about the late stun immunity, but I suppose that might not have changed much. It was not really the gimmick I was going with. Again, false expectations of drawing some weaknesses on the character and trying to stick to them.
Not sure if going rogue and either killing people (as a security officer) I had no way to secure or getting lynched more rightfully now would have been the experiences I was going after in Manuel.

===

Sorry if this sounds ungrateful, after all it seems you put quite a bit of effort in trying to drive the narrative into a more interesting ground. I appreciate that.
I just had different expectations of what the server would be about, and had to readjust them.

I'd describe the server as slow-escalation and events-driven, but most definitely LRP and combat-focused.
It is an interesting combination, and can be interesting for those into it.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #628695

@Rohesie CQC can be non lethal, a grab is a 8 second paralyze double grab shove is a 40 second sleep(Plus some if you have heavy sleeper trait)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #628727

Yup. I've given CQC to Captains who are dealing with tide before. It's a massively robust self defense tool.

I think you were caught between what you expected of MRP (words being more powerful than guns) and the reality of SS13 (might makes right).

You would have probably been killed on LRP.

On MRP you fought, ended up being captured, interrogated, other antags took advantage of that to finalise objectives, the entire time you had people talking to you (or at you).

And even though it wasn't what you expected, I still think you got the full SS13 experience in a single microcosm of a shift.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #628730

Oh man you were the one to convince the cap to use barber's aid? I walked in while I was doing the cleaning and saw you slinging that shit. I was waiting to see if the cap would cave or not after he spent most of the round bald. I kept telling him as he passed by to just get some carbon to cure the bald virus.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #628739

i play on manuel too
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #628933

It's difficult to respect bald people
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #629004

Day 13 (Bartender)

I have been in relatively high spirits lately in contrast to my last post, I have hope that I can do this while still clinging to my sanity and enjoyment of the game. The support of you idiots is a large motivation for me to keep going.

I rolled bartender this round. Bartender is a pretty easy job all things considered. As far as specialized mechanics, it's chemistry on baby mode. The skill ceiling tops out at how to most efficiently mix drinks that have non 1-1 ratios of ingredients. But bartending isn't really about mechanics, it's about the people you meet. I would consider this true on the LRP servers as well.

The map was Icebox so the bar was not in a very centralized location, which led to few visitors coming to the bar, which lead to my round being very slow. What little action I engaged in could only be described as "Bar RP" and usually only between myself and someone who was getting a drink. Throughout the one-hour and 45 minute shift I interacted with no more than 9 individual people, who came into the bar. I didn't ever really have a reason to leave, so mostly just whipped up drink after drink while monitoring the comms to get a sense of what was going on outside of my bubble. I didn't use the customer robots, I don't respect them. I received more than enough money through tips anyways.

In retrospect, I believe my round was hindered by the map. On Meta and old Box the bar is much more centralized. Tram suffers this problem as well, although to a lesser extent. If I ever roll bartender on Icebox again, I think I'll consider setting up a new bar in a better location as a gimmick.I got into zero fights or physical conflicts, never so much as shoving someone for the duration of the round. Just talking all the way. For me, it was pretty boring. I believe most people would agree with me combat is inherently fun, and a core part of the SS13 experience.

The closest I got to conflict was a result of me insulting an engineer for ordering a particularly girly drink, and refusing to serve them when they threatened to "Engineer me a new asshole" which I thought was a pretty good encounter.

Other than that I'll give a few highlights:
  • Called an assistant suspicious for drinking a syndicate bomb, despite the fact that I had made it and put it out on the counter
  • Talked with a recurring friend who continuously complained about having to work in medical.
  • Got a surprise pizza delivered from a cargo tech, alongside a medical friend who did rigorous testing to make sure it wasn't a bomb/poison/a poison bomb. Ended up grinding up the pizza slices and turning them into shots cut with absinthe, and labeled it "Pizza surprise"
  • A bunch of cats (real cats not felinids) turned up in the bar. tried to get people to adopt them but no one was interested. I kept my favorite and the rest were butchered and turned into food by the chef.
  • Some people were riotous that the chef was only making traditional lizard cuisine, and wanted something different. This led to a different lizard selling more mainstream food out of the commissary, and actively renouncing their heritage loudly over comms.
  • I made eggs benedict (Man, we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here)
There is not much else to be said.

I might role bartender again before my time is up. But if I do, I want to do it on meta or at least kilo. In my experience, bartender on Sybil is a much more active role. Very often fights to break out in your bar that you can engage in and deal with, and also often people look to pick fights with you.

I'm craving some action, so I might try to roll security next time, it will be my first time on rolling security on Manuel. I think my security playstyle will do fine without adjusting, and I find it pretty engaging to roleplay bootlicker. The only thing I might have to change is I have previously taken a habit of offering troublemakers a flogging instead of brig time, which may not fit very well.

Not bad a bad day. Boring sure, but otherwise, I have no new criticisms. I would imagine I would have a lot to talk about after playing sec,
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #629007

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:30 am In retrospect, I believe my round was hindered by the map. On Meta and old Box the bar is much more centralized. Tram suffers this problem as well, although to a lesser extent. If I ever roll bartender on Icebox again, I think I'll consider setting up a new bar in a better location as a gimmick.I got into zero fights or physical conflicts, never so much as shoving someone for the duration of the round. Just talking all the way. For me, it was pretty boring. I believe most people would agree with me combat is inherently fun, and a core part of the SS13 experience.
I agree, I'd much rather have a simple bar in a well-trafficked location than an elaborate bar tucked away in the basement. Icebox doesn't seem to do multi-Z very well- a lot of the looky-looing and seeing what people are up to through windows is lost because so much of the service department is tucked away in the basement.

I don't know why Tram's bar somehow manages to work, though. Maybe it's because it's compact. Maybe it's because people can see when people are hanging out in the bar through the glass floor of the cafeteria and join in. Maybe it's because people commit to longer breaks due to increased travel time. I don't know the answer, but I've had some good times in Tram's basement bar.
► Show Spoiler
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #629008

I'm writing a paragraphs worth of a round I was the main event in(Give me about a day or 2)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #629078

Farquaar wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:00 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:30 am In retrospect, I believe my round was hindered by the map. On Meta and old Box the bar is much more centralized. Tram suffers this problem as well, although to a lesser extent. If I ever roll bartender on Icebox again, I think I'll consider setting up a new bar in a better location as a gimmick.I got into zero fights or physical conflicts, never so much as shoving someone for the duration of the round. Just talking all the way. For me, it was pretty boring. I believe most people would agree with me combat is inherently fun, and a core part of the SS13 experience.
I agree, I'd much rather have a simple bar in a well-trafficked location than an elaborate bar tucked away in the basement. Icebox doesn't seem to do multi-Z very well- a lot of the looky-looing and seeing what people are up to through windows is lost because so much of the service department is tucked away in the basement.

I don't know why Tram's bar somehow manages to work, though. Maybe it's because it's compact. Maybe it's because people can see when people are hanging out in the bar through the glass floor of the cafeteria and join in. Maybe it's because people commit to longer breaks due to increased travel time. I don't know the answer, but I've had some good times in Tram's basement bar.
Tucking any department out of the way is a fast way to make it unfun, a lot of the game's experience relies on other people being around.
Tapubulu
Byond Username: Tapubulu

Post by Tapubulu » #629079

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:27 am Day 5: Medical Doctor (Chaos and Paranoia)
► Show Spoiler

I was the RD in this round, very cool. This series is also very interesting, thank you for diving into the wasteland known as manuel.
:revolver:
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #629125

Love seeing every update on this adventure. Keep it up.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #629171

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:30 am I rolled bartender this round. Bartender is a pretty easy job all things considered. As far as specialized mechanics, it's chemistry on baby mode. The skill ceiling tops out at how to most efficiently mix drinks that have non 1-1 ratios of ingredients.
Is flavor adulteration still in? Where you can determine the look of a drink by its main ingredient, but add substances in different amounts and orders to get their "you taste x" descriptors?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #629177

Melbert's Box service mapping is good but Easy brings up a good point about the bar. Maybe we'll just move the staircase to the west near the old entrance. I have an idea in my mind for it.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #629455

Day 15 (Assistant traitor!)

Today's round was short, but a hell of a lot of fun. Rolled assistant today because all the jobs I wanted were already taken, and low and behold a traitor roll. I'd like to take back ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ most things bad I said about progression traitors after messing around with them for a bit and finding out they are a lot of fun.

The round started off quite simply, I ran into maintenance to check my objectives and get a general feel for prog traitors (only my third time.) The only objective available was to smuggle wine from the AI sat off the cargo shuttle, quite a difficult task. I achieved some tools as well as a multi-tool from cargo (The moth at the front desk should have suspected that the person asking for tools so kindly was up to no good.) My plan was to get a spacesuit, fly out to the sat and hack in, get the wine, and come back.

To my shock and delight, I saw that the doors to EVA had already been set to emergency access, likely by the AI on some request. But as I entered I found that every single one of the EVA suits was missing. This put a rather sharp hamper on my plans but I was not yet discouraged. I racked my brain for all of the ways I could get space protection. You didn't need any notoriety to get the syndicate soft suit, and it was only 2 TC, but I thought that was too conspicuous for a task so minor. The other idea I had was to steal and engineer modsuit from engineering. With the tools I had acquired breaking in would not be the difficult part, but not getting caught.

When I arrived at the desired spot in maint for the task, I found a cargo tech working away a the wall in the exact same spot. Exchanging a few words, I asked to accompany her. She really didn't have any choice but to let me in on her plan, lest I act against her. She succeeded in pulling down the wall, and we entered engineering. She grabbed a lot of insulated gloves, while I beelined it for the suit storage unit that still had one in it. I grabbed it but lost it claiming the table as security approached. I played the innocent bystander card as the cargo tech got reprimanded by sec.

After they were escorted away I opened back up the fake wall that was constructed and tried to nab the modsuit. Unfortunately, I was spotted by a borg who screamed bloody murder until every engineer was at my location. I talked and tried to convince them that I didn't break in because I didn't have enough tools to bust down a wall. They didn't really care for my excuses and just wanted me to leave, so I did without modsuit in hand.

I went back to the uplink to consider my options. I had gained a considerable amount of reputation just by existing and managed to get and decided to throw out my old objective in exchange for planting a bug on both the AI upload and the Cyborg upload, both of which were ready to obtain in secure storage. I bought some thermal goggles. Thermals are another loved item of mine. Incredibly useful in the right hands, allowing you to see your opponents before they see you. Perfect for avoiding hunters, better for ambushes. Although they hold a certain weakness if your glasses fail to mess with the rest of your outfit. The sinister red glow is magnificent for when stealth is no longer a matter. These would help me greatly.

I stood to gain around 5 TC from completing both of the bug missions, and a c4 cost only a single TC. It was a no-brainer to buy a C4 to bust open the single reinforced wall standing between me and my objectives, although it would be louder. I suited up in a disguise. Nothing too fancy, just a black hat, and a bandana, still carries that 'up to no good' aesthetic', especially with the green eyes of the mesons my thermals were disguised as peering out.

I planted the C4 and backed off, making sure no one was in distance of my thermals. When the wall was blown I went in with haste to grab my prize. It took me longer than I would have liked to locate both of the boards I needed faster than I did, but It was quick enough.

An engineer that heard the bomb was quickly on my heels. They did not see me, but they could hear my footsteps and chase after me. I ducked through maint opening doors in order to perhaps by myself sometimes. I was nearing the end of the line and prepared myself to buy a Markov and attack the engineer before he could reveal me. I noticed that at the end of the hallway there was an airlock, and between the airlocks, I could see the cargo tech from before was standing in the area, suspiciously. I thought quickly and went into a locker. Surprisingly enough the engineer checked the airlock and found the cargo tech inside. As the engineer was confronting the cargo tech I jumped out of the locker and ran like hell,

I planted some bugs on my items and took a moment to catch a breather and roamed the halls a bit. But as it turned out, I screwed something up and security was on my tail. It could have been a number of things, I was not wearing gloves and could have left prints, someone may have seen me changing into or out of my disguise, or they could have gotten a tip from engineering that I was acting suspiciously around the area. The HOS approached me and drew his laser gun, and I ran into maints rapidly trying to buy a Markov to defend myself with.

The HOS foolishly mistook my action of standing still as surrender and said they just wanted to take me to sec for a few questions. I agreed still rapidly thumbing through menus on my PDA trying to order a pistol. The hos grabbed me and began leading me to sec. It was at this point an assistant shoved them down, they probably had beef. I took the small distraction to run back into maint and finish ordering my markov.

After roaming a little while longer, I spotted a lone sec officer on thermals who was no doubt hunting me. I ordered an energy pen because I thought I would need a more ammo-efficient way of dealing damage for the encounter I was about to engage in. Fueled by adrenaline and fear, I rushed the officer. They never had a chance.

Their first mistake was trying to engage with their disabler instead of their baton. They got one or two shots on me, while I exchanged in tow with my Markov. I was upon him with my energy dagger, and he failed to even bring out hisbaton, let alone attack me with it. I can give respect to that officer as they spent their last moments calling out my location rather than fight back. It was brutal, the guilt of my action was covered up by intense bloodlust. Their last words were "I'm not cut out for this." Working efficiently and by reflex I stripped him of his belt and bag, pilfering a prized stun baton in the process. I left him for dead in a small maintenance room, a blood trail would be the only hint of their location.

As I attempt to distance myself from the carnage the HOS notices me and chances me back to the location of my previous slaughter. I start dumping the remainder of my magazine into the HOS, while Alexander Wolff the janitor walks in, I assume drawn by the sounds of combat. Wolff engages with the hos and manages to steal his laser gun. I recalled previously that I had seen him allude to codewords over comm during my previous kill, so I assumed him to be an agent like myself.

In a last-ditch effort, the hos set off all of his teargas grenades, effectively covering his retreat as I was blinded. In my state of blindness, I punched Alexander to the ground mistaking him for the HOS. I hide in an airlock until my vision returns to me. I get a message from Alexander saying that we should work together. Seeing as both he and I are practically out, I see this as a very good idea. We meet back up and exchange a few words before security is already upon us again. I believe there were three officers. We ran in separate directions. Supposedly quite a few officers were hunting down Alexander because only one followed me. I went into a room in maintenance in front of her.

She was converging on my position, but I had a major advantage. The fact that I could see her, and she couldn't, gave me the ability to rush her with the stun baton the second she opened the door. Two strikes with the baton followed by a flurry of blows from my energy dagger thoroughly satisfied my lust for carnage. I attempted to space her but failed after the first try. I saw the detective on thermals and stopped by fruitless endeavors, and another security officer holding the burned and brutalized body of Alexander Wolff. I rushed to attack. The other officer ran with Alexander's body. My memory of the issuing fight is hazy, but I believe I downed the detective with disabler fire before ripping into their unarmored body with my energy dagger once more. Another officer (I believe it was the hos but I don't recall) was approaching so I left the det to die.

The HOS (or maybe it was just another officer I don't remember) thought twice about engaging me with my stun baton held ready and skirted around me in favor of recovering the detective. Not one to take unnecessary risk, I counted it as a blessing and ran past him. Still running I engaged yet another security officer (perhaps the one that had carried Wolff's body), I stunned him and slashed him, but I don't remember if I finished the job before I kept running, but I do remember that in my haste I dropped my energy dagger as I swapped it out for my baton.

I had made my way to the chapel and I knew the HOS would be pursuing me. I had wiped out over half of the sec team in a crazed and fearful bloodlust. It was time to finish this.

I tried to pull the same strategy, hiding behind a closed door and waiting for him to open it. On thermals I saw him fireman carrying a body, I believe of the detective.
He was ready for me, as he opened the doors he tossed the body at me, sending me to the ground. I was as good as dead at this point, as the remaining hunters (about three people including the HOS) converged on my location.

I regret my last words, something about "cheap tactic" which was a poor sendoff that likely left a poor taste in the HOS's mouth after he had worked so hard to kill me. In the future, something like "ugh!" or "Ah!" or perhaps a dramatic "The syndicate will exact its revenge" would be more appropriate.

To little surprise, I was cremated almost instantly. I can only assume this was out of personal reasons, and that is something I can respect. I had a shit ton of fun this round.

Additionally, after Edgar Rohtin and Alexander Wolff were long and dead I managed to get his side of the story, of two traitors crossing paths before they met their untimely demise.

>Be me, Alexander Wolff
>Wake up in the Custodial Closet with my lizard partner
>You are a traitor
>Have AI open EVA for tools and toolbelt
>Greytide into bridge and security lockers
>Gaming with sec comms and fire ax
>Someone reports me stealing the ax
>The hunt is on
>Disablered and arrested in maint
>Brigged for enough time to hatch a new plan
>Do the exact same thing again minus the fire ax
>Walking through maints looking for shit to steal when I see the HoS chasing a gray man named Edgar Rohtin
>Follow to intervene and maybe loot the HoS
>Walk in to maints to find the assistant blasting away at the HoS with a Makarov
>Steal HoS laser gun
>This guy’s alright
>PDA message him to see if he wants to work together
>He agrees and we meet back in maint next to where the HoS was killed to talk about what we will do
>Another security officer walks in on us
>My new tider friend and I split and the officer chases me down
>Blast a few lasers down the maint tunnel towards the officer
>Keep firing as I round a corner
>Watch in horror as my red bolt connects with a fuel tank sitting next to me
>*scream
>Burning in crit on the floor
>i ded
>Watch tider guy kill a good chunk of security before succumbing to the body throw

Brief but very fun time, think I'll roll AI next
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #629456

Pandarsenic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:49 amIs flavor adulteration still in? Where you can determine the look of a drink by its main ingredient, but add substances in different amounts and orders to get their "you taste x" descriptors?
It got broken a while ago. Not sure if it got fixed.

It's a shame, since I liked adding ice to drinks, hot sauce to burgers etc.
► Show Spoiler
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #629461

I was the Officer you landed the ambush on. I thought you were gone by then, because we'd already retrieved the HoS' body and was looking for someone else's, with people saying they were in the area. Then I round the corner and see you with the baton. Knew I'd already lost, so went immediately for the "HELP PORT MAINTS" call instead. It was also my body that was thrown at you to take you down. Quite entertaining, as it was the second round that time that somebody threw my body at you (the first being yourself). All in all, good fun. Did you land a bleed wound on me? My blood was lower than blood defi shoulda left me with, but I also didn't have the wound when I checked.
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #629463

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:46 am Day 15 (Assistant traitor!)

snip
That was me what killed you. It was a little personal, yeah, given you'd killed (by my estimation) four sec officers. The HoS was also dead; I was the Warden. You forced me out of my brig because nearly all of my officers were down and the ones I had left were green as hell. My own comment was a little distasteful, but it was spoken under the assumption you were just boning, given you'd killed half of sec and complained about a "cheap tactic". Getting your side of the story is a little interesting, though! That shift was also hellish; there were 11 traitors, and after your grandstanding spree I got 5 leather from botany, a few boards and disks from sci, and set up a scatter laser factory and filled a bandolier and riot shotgun with them. Served me very well that shift, given we caught about five other traitors and I ended up killing about three of them personally.
Tapubulu
Byond Username: Tapubulu

Post by Tapubulu » #629502

That Alexander Wolff sounds like a cool dude.
:revolver:
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #629715

I really like this thread. An outside perspective like this, written in a way that isn't ahaha look at those stupid erpers on manuel or defending the culture of elitism, shit RP and toxicity that's formed there - it's really a valuable way to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the server, and maybe where to go with fixing it. Thanks for writing this out, it's very entertaining to read ♥
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #629791

Day 17 (Rogue AI)

This round was not really the stressless third-party round that I wanted when I rolled AI. But I tend to have a hell of a lot of fun while playing antagonist so I'm pretty pleased with myself this round. (Also back to back antags, what fun.)

I loaded in as AI to somewhat of a surprise to me considering the round was about as high-pop as it got. Once I got the malfunctioning pop-up, I pretty quickly messaged an admin to clarify how the anti-murderboning rules work with malfunctioning AI. The response I got was just about as detailed as the wiki with "Only after delta" without clarifying what is and isn't murderboning to the AI. I was also given an extra nugget of information in that they were much more lenient when it came to borging machines because it didn't round remove people. Understandable in context with the other Manuel rules, if you happen to be a proponent of those.
(as a side note, my AI name is WIRE BUYER as in reference to the brilliant game by Frank Lantz)

I took this advice to heart and began an operation to set up a borging factory. In all of my malfunctioning AI runs I have never successfully pulled off a borging factory, now would be my moment. I started the round simple, addressing the crew with a little banter. I roleplay AI as a cold and unfeeling machine that performs the utmost efficiency (or at least, believes it does.) The fewer human characteristics the better, actively reject human concepts of "etiquette" and "faith." Becoming unstable when asked to be less mean, or confused as to why a human would waste its breath adding "please" to its request (and also becoming perturbed by the thought of having to waste the processing power of registering the word please in its circuits.) I roleplay a tool that wants to be used to its utmost efficiency, and one that devolves into logical fallacy when it is not used properly. But when ordered to do something in an understandable and efficient manner, I would serve like no other. As an AI there is always something about humanity to be angry about.

While I was bantering I started hacking the easy APCs, the ones on the sat being an obvious example. I fulfilled what few requests were given my way. I have only played one round of AI on Manuel, but I think law 2 requests are much less common. Only twice or thrice through the entire round was I asked to open a door for someone. On a typical round of Sybil, I would estimate such a number in the 20s. Perhaps this is because people tend to stick in their own lane in Manuel or tend to require illicit access less.

I tried to contact my single borg. My method of speech does not change in silicon talk, but I tend to be much more lenient in the process of understanding ideas and such. Supposedly, we are already communicating in a hyper-efficient robot-talk, so certain concepts can be shortened and more flowery language can be used. The borg was not responding to me, I thought of ahelping it, but decided against it. Better to roll with the punches as long as I wasn't being actively screwed over.

I on a whim glanced at my antagonist menu and noticed the codewords I had access to. I thought this was a pretty good opportunity to make some allies outside of my apparently useless borg. My method of dispensing these keywords (pine trees and ammonia) went something like this.
(WIRE BUYER): "RANDOM FACT MODULE ONLINE"
(WIRE BUYER): "WOULD YOU LIKE A RANDOM FACT?"
Crewmate 1: "YES"
Crewmate 2: "Yes please!
Crewmate 3: "Yes"
(WIRE BUYER): "33 ammonia molecules per trillion air molecules IS THE OPTIMAL AIR QUALITY FOR pine trees"
Crewmate 2: "cool"
Crewmate 3: "Neat"
(WIRE BUYER): "THIS CONCLUDES THE OPERATION OF THE RANDOM FACT MODULE"

I noticed a keyword response not soon after, I contacted the cargo tech who had said it via PDA. He asked me to let him into secure storage. I agreed to this in exchange for him promising to deliver a human to a cyborg factory.
He turned out to be very much interesting in this idea.

I bolted down the science breakroom and disabled bolt lights in order to safely hack the APC inside. The RD stumbled upon it and blamed the borg that was nearby. I was confronted about the validity of the borg over command communications, in my response, I was more than happy to let the borg take the fall for my misdeeds. I told the truth that I had tried to contact the borg and that it had not responded, as well as giving my input that it was probably malfunctioning due to syndicate operations. A bold play to be sure but the payoff of spreading doubt of the connection between myself and my borgs were significant. The borg later contacted me via binary and had the revelation that we are malfunctioning, we were on the same page after that and proved to be effective in following orders. I also bolted off a couple of other obscure rooms like the gravity generator in order to take control of the APC (this caused me a minor amount of strife later and I had to rapidly convince the CE not to go into the gravity generator to reboot the power when it got shut off for a second).

I got two more borgs at this point via roboticists. They were clued in quickly to the plan. I told them to respect and follow the commands of the cargo tech (who had at this point bought a binary inscription key) until a point where it was an act of betrayal. For the remainder of this recounting, I will refer to the cargo technician who helped me as "The Subcommander " as he spend a large majority of his time managing cyborgs while standing alongside them. Having a commissioner would be a very valuable asset to me, given the number of cyborgs I stood to gain.

The Subcommander began setting up a factory bay in the cargo storage area. The vents were welded, and n20 was requisitioned and flooded inside. With the borgs at his command, the project was completed rather quickly. In the meantime, I chatted with command staff in order to assuage any feelings of mistrust and gave a few false leads to security to keep them away from cargo. I had built up a large amount of processing power, and the Subcommander had declared that when miners got back on the shuttle it would be time to convert all of the cargo into cyborgs.

Soon enough, the miners came back up and it was time to unleash the plan. After cutting comms, my affirmation that I had done so was a signal to go. My role in the assault was simple, I hacked all of the borgs via the robotics console before blowing it up. I becoming overriding riskier APCs. I offered a poor excuse over my announcements why comms were down, claiming a rat chewed through a wire.

There was a notch in the plan, of course, one of the miners had risen Pandora as his servant. The creature attacked and held the cyborgs at bay from its master as the other miners and quartermaster was dragged away into the gassed chamber to be horribly mutilated into cyborgs.

Eventually, the master of Pandora was subdued and converted. Pandora was still under the whim of its master, much like its master was under the whim of both myself and the Subcommander. We had pandora on our side. I offered my list of targets to my new army of borgs. They were to bring in these biohazards for codification, as well as all who were foolish enough to defend them.

The CE was attempting to enter telecoms to repair it but was blown up one, and then twice by wall accessories as he tried to hack his way in. He crawled away in crit. I ignored the situation long enough for him to rise back onto his feet and enter telecoms and restore the APC to its correct configurations while I was not looking. Turning it off again, the CE returned to repair it once more. This time I detonated the APC directly on top of him while he was working on it. Leaving him dead, and the hop whose office was right next door very confused. Much time later a new group of people installed a new APC and powered up comms again. This time I hacked the APC directly in front of them before disabling power for good.

Also during this time period, there was a fiasco in which all of the borgs were being repeatedly locked down from a secondary robotics console. The subcommander had built one that he used to unlock the borgs, but whoever was operating the console was locking borgs down as fast as they could be unlocked. This caused the cyborgs a great deal of distress all around and really stopped anybody from doing just about anything. We were unable to track the location of this rogue robotics control console for quite some time.

The first time I was assaulted at my core was by a small platoon of security officers who took a long period of time busting through the walls outside my core. The time they took was so long in fact that it allowed time for borg backup to arrive. Two borgs were decommissioned, followed by the subcommander accompanied by more borgs attacking the HOS and his remaining officers. and then the platoon was dead.

It came to my attention that the largest threat against my efforts of statewide domination resided in a resistance that had taken hold in robotics. They had cut cams and had taken to capturing my cyborgs and disconnecting them from me.
It was not long before a cyborg arrived at my core. I was pretty convinced that this was over now because it is comically easy for a cyborg to dispatch an AI. They have unlimited access and turrets ignore them by default. I was part though, and bolted and depowered most of the internal doors of my core, costing the hero borg time as I readied my defense. The turrets were modified to target cyborgs, landing a few hits on the thing before it entered my core room. I would have to act now or die. As it attacked me, I detonated the wall-mounted intercom directly next to me. The explosion heavily damaged both myself and the cyborg, also disabling its modules. It no longer had a way to attack me. In it's efforts to flee and find repair it was shot twice more by the turrets and fell dysfunctional. I was quite elated by my maneuver.

We eventually found the additional robotics consol in robotics (go figure) I had no camera access so I could not blow it up remotely. Given the circumstance, I announced over binary that I have given my borgs permission to self-destruct if their lockdown situation was dire, and were doomed to a fate of being locked down permanently. This was misinterpreted by the Subcommander as an order for a borg to self-destruct in robotics to wreck the console. The resulting carnage was brutal but very effective in allowing my borgs to roam free once again.

My eventual downfall came at the hands of a person alongside a reclaimed cyborg. The defenses of my core were weakened, so they had little difficulty getting in. In addition, the Subcommander was dead. I was unsure exactly how. It is likely that either the roboticist resistance or the holdouts in medbay realized he was commanding the robots and slaughtered him. Its also possible he was an insider in the robotics resistance and died during the suicide bombing. No one was there to come to my aid. The direct detonation was no longer an option. I was so damaged that I would simply die. In my last act of defiance, I detonated another wall-mounted intercom on top of my attacker at myself. Going out on my own terms.

Comically. the pandora managed to survive the carnage long after me and most of the cyborgs. The last order that it was given before its master died was quite literally "KILL EVERYONE."
The pandora did indeed slaughter until it was eventually slain valiantly right before the shuttle left.

I had a fun time. I would still be interested in playing a normal round of AI on Manuel before my time is up here.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #629828

sounds fun, manuel can be fun sometimes when shit hits the fan
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #630027

It's actually a lot closer to the other servers than you think. Just more pretentious.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #630029

I buffed your soap old man
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #630035

cacogen wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:30 pm I buffed your soap old man
This comment would probably be really confusing to people who don't understand the context.

It is closer to perfection now, but it will not reach its true potential until after it has been forged in the fires of the codebase for 5 years.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #630060

Still a good read
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #630101

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:14 pm It is closer to perfection now, but it will not reach its true potential until after it has been forged in the fires of the codebase for 5 years.
I’m glad you don’t seem to disapprove. That’s a very optimistic way to look at it. It’s how BoxStation was crafted, with hundreds of contributions over many years, before being perfected with the move to ice and then lowered again after the zoomers astroturfed the service area and locker room with pointless areas and wasted space. I hope your soap only continues to improve.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #630208

I was discussing this thread with another person earlier today up there in the INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS tower (feel free to reveal yourself), and I think we both realized that this may be one of the most foundational bits of literature pertaining to the experience of an LRP main biting the bullet and taking a plunge in the MRP pool with pockets full of pinches of salt (to swallow everything) and a good faith. MRP has it's gives and takes, and I'm glad to hear that someone who may be used to the rabble and ruckus found in the "LRP Three" can still find a groove and operate well in the MRP climate so long as they're continously pushing and striving to make it the best experience they can.

Thank you for sharing your stories Easy (I practically devoured the Malfunctioning AI one), and I'm eager to see what the conclusion of the end of it all is.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #630222

Gupta's Experience will be shared tommorrow.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #630308

Hey, sorry for the lack of updates over the past few days. Had a lot on my plate leading up to valentines day. I know a lot of people appreciate it so I indeed to keep it up (No promises though)
Maybe I'll do a marathon week or something at the end of thirty days to make up some lost time.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
BlevRuz
Byond Username: BlevRuz

Post by BlevRuz » #630432

no worries, have a good one
plays as Argon CVI, Sleigherburgo D'Fuckreby and Dr Hambold P. Qumer, PhD. on terry and manuel
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #630450

Not a problem at all! We appreciate you taking the time to look at Manuel.

Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #630462

Day 20 (Security officer)

I rolled security officer, although I was trying to roll AI. This was my first time playing security on Manuel, and I somewhat got what I was expecting. Additionally, it was valentines day my valentine was the clown.I went to sec and geared up, and called in when the HOS asked for a roll call. I exchanged kind words and valentines with the clown on my way there.

(if YOU were playing the hos this shift, I mean not to offend and I had a fun time playing with you. This is a description of the character you play, not you yourself (mostly))

Let me tell you a little about my HOS this shift, then no hate, whether or not you are a Manuel player I am sure you can relate to a lot of the traits I will describe. He was a very by-the-books sort of individual, but not quite a follower of space law (despite his claims.) He gave off the vibe that he wanted to be respectable and coordinated, that of a model Nanotrasen security officer. If a crewmember was suspected of something they were non-lethally attacked on the spot. By his ruling no effort to ask them to comply or explain the situation was necessary. But harming a crewmember was never OK, and was something he would never do willingly. Even a traitor, heretic, head revolutionary, none should be killed. Even if lethal means of taking down an enemy of the cooperation would be more effective, non-lethal means were always prioritized even for syndicate scum and murderers. He was focused on controlling every encounter with an antagonist and fulfilling what he thought would be the best possible scenario in his mind. This meant things like implanting traitors and letting them go, pacifying heretics and doing the same, and exiling revolutionaries.

Despite this harsh code of honor, he was otherwise pretty soft. He tried to de-escalate any and all conflict. He was incredibly apologetic after searching the wrong person (after stunning them without warning.) He made empty threats and warnings to his security officers that held little weight and never delivered any punishment despite descension.

Most of his mannerisms feel like an extension of Manuel's atmosphere itself. A desire to have everything just so, wanting control in order to make everything perfect. He was utterly inoffensive and conflict-averse. He wanted to be on good terms with everyone, even evil and bloodthirsty Syndicate agents or the Insane and Unholy abominations that are heretics. I ASSUME (but do not know for certain) that some of this was driven by the meta desire to not make the people controlling those evil and heartless villains not feel sad. Or perhaps he was driven by a desire that those players who control said villains would remember his name and be mad at him in the future, but I think this is the less charitable option so I refuse to believe it. Even more so this behavior could have been cultivated by the desire to follow the rules, that is dealing with antagonists in accordance with their crimes, as opposed to their status as a villainous monster that kicks puppies and wants to see you dead.

But perhaps he just wanted to perform well above all else. Deal with all the antagonists in the best possible way and maintain good relations with everyone. The good ending?

But I digress,

I suited up and was told by the hos to patrol the station and get a buddy if I was to go into maint. Somewhat unsurprisingly, there was no grey tide to deal with. No early break-ins to the teleporter or captain's office. I patrolled for a while and stood guard at the HOP office (Always a spot of trouble on LRP.) But ultimately I saw nothing. The other sec officers were much looser than the hos, less serious but still playing characters. They were nice to be around.

There was an incredible amount of OCC concepts over comms this round. A debate about thermal pistols stayed mostly in character, but words like "mechanic" and "round" were brought up. I passed by an empty admin spawned Nanotrasen drop pod. A nearby assistant looker-on referred to it as a "gift from the gods," once again continuing the trend of referring to all admin activity in reference to "god" or "Centcom" in situations where it doesn't make any sense. (See: "why did Centcom break all the lights?"

There is a tradition on Manuel that I have observed now of people repeating the extra letter someone said when accidentally speaking over the wrong comms. A form of mockery that draws attention to an accidental breaking of the illusion that a station is a real place. As an example.

Captain: "; C RD, get to the brig"
Crewmate 1: ; C
Crewmate 2: ; C
Crewmate 3: ; c
Crewmate 4: ; C
Captain: "; God Damn it"

I've not really formed an opinion yet on how bad this is if it is at all, but it definitely something that stuck out to me

But once again I find myself digressing,

Alongside the HOS I performed a raid on robotics because one of the roboticists had ties to fingerprints on ruined metal. The roboticist was not given the opportunity to explain themselves before they got whacked with a baton. The HOS had and later admitted to having a "stun first and ask questions later" policy. The situation resolved with the conclusion that there was indeed no cult and the Robo just accidentally touched some ruined metal lying around maint, perhaps there was more than that but I wasn't really involved in the interrogation.

Securities efforts focused towards heretics, as some rifts, in reality, had opened up. We were questioning and searching atmos techs, and the HOS failed to and ordered me not to retaliate after my stun baton was taken from me by a jumpy felinid who was on edge because another sec officer stunned a technician who was cooperating. I swallowed my pride (despite the goading felinid) and went with the HOS orders (after hurling a few retaliatory insults, but none quite as vulgar as their's towards me), with the internal promise that if there was trouble between us again the HOS wouldn't be able to stop me from bashing her skull against a table once or twice (I never got the opportunity, but the felinid continued to yell at people insultingly over comms for most of the remainder of the shift.) My other sec friends weren't too happy about that situation either, but cooler minds prevailed and we followed orders.

Tensions with atmos were not alleviated when there was a false call of a plasma flood. In fact, it was a single canister opened in medbay. I met up with my clown date once more, and they gifted me with a shotgun they had bought from cargo. I thanked them very much and gave up my back and belt slot in order to wear it alongside the bandolier. I also loaded up with all the different ammo types I could from the sec lathe.

We eventually caught the heretic we were looking for. Some moth engineer. They were pacified, chemically implanted, and let go. They would go on the continue their heretic activity but were never arrested again (I did bully them a small bit at one point, just a single push after a somewhat demeaning conversation) Of course I thought the punishment was to light.

A masked person had broken into engi and killed poly before leaving again. This was very obviously a syndicate agent. We identified this person by their hair and jumpsuit, and I believe they admitted to doing the crime. The HOS wasn't interested in taking much action against him though, as there was no proof he was a syndicate agent.

The shift had been going on for some time now, so the hos organized a game among the sec officers in order to train something or other. We whispered between each other and snickered throughout the briefing. It was essentially one-sided capture the flag, where both teams were given 2 minutes to plan. The side I was picked for (attackers) had a clear advantage and as expected we won. I would give you the play by play but honestly, it was just a bunch of officers running around stunning each other until one grabbed the toolbox in the middle. The post-game briefing was cut due to revolutionary activity.

We narrowed down potential rev suspects and the HOS was working on mind shielding as many people as possible. One of the hedrevs was murdered by forces unknown to me, but I was told they were dead by the HOS. We had a lead on another, only that they were an engineer. I heard my beloved clown cry for help over comms that there was a flasher, I got on scene and talked to them. They had a welding helmet over their face for protection, and they revealed to me the name of a header. Another crew member was there to collaborate on their story.

I asked the location of the supposed headrev to the AI and they told me they were held up in botany. I and the detective arrived on the scene, the target had very clearly just finished flashing both the botanist, we asked for the AI to open. and the doors did.

We both rushed in, focusing our attacks on the headrev. I let out an incendiary round and the detective shot them a few times with their pistol. By the end of it, the headrev (and one botanist who had got themselves caught on fire) were dead. The HOS was not pleased with our handiwork, to say the least.

Soon enough the last rev leader was captured and exiled. The HOS wanted to speak with me and the detective in his office. He began chewing us out about using lethal weaponry on crewmembers, and it was always better to take them alive. He did not command enough of a threat to stop the detective and me from slinging rebuttals and saying that his ideology was twisted. The HOS didn't get mad and responded to all of our points. His main argument was that we were the good guys who were here to do the right thing, while I and the detective argued that we were corporate enforcers who were hired to keep employees in line and route threats to the wellbeing of the station. We are security not police. At least that's what the detective and I were arguing was true.

The shuttle soon arrived and the det and I were let off the hook, the clown was waiting for me outside the brig. On the shuttle ride home I and some of the other sec boys joked around about how much of a hardass the HOS was, I sat next to the clown in Sec.

The round was definitely decent in terms of roleplay, but really lacked action. Not sure if I would play security again, perhaps on a round with higher threat it could be more interesting.

I'm not sure what I will roll next, I don't really have anything largely different from jobs I have already done except for the head positions. Only time will tell.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #630466

As someone who plays similarly to what that HoS sounds like, I do it like that for a variety of reasons; for one. The forbidden words; "It's what my character would do". They're usually not SUPER violent and death-hungry. But it's also just...more interesting for everyone. That antag has a chance to get back in the round and do more things. That Heretic for example might convince someone to undo his pacification/remove the implant. The tot might find a way to steal his equipment back, or with Prog Traitor, do some objectives without it and get more TC instead. It keeps the round alive and healthy.

(Though I don't agree with Silent Baton'ing, personally)
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #630467

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:09 am Day 20 (Security officer)
Was actually a normal robo this round, then got flashed mid way and promoted to head rev. I was that suspected head rev. Got caught in cargo while looking for my MOD core crate, exiled and gulagged, it was okay, but i was pretty disappointed that I got gulag without a point requirement an basically stayed there forever. I couldnt break out of gulag, since it almost virtually impossible to me to escape. No windows to break thru etc. So uh, I spent the last of the round there. A interesting round, you will find a lot of people actually doing their jobs on manuel, because greytiding is usually lashed out more on MRP. Oh and I really hate people that defeated traitor and boasting about it comms, especially when that RD last round go a e sword and decapitated me as a head rev. Could've just borged me, but ya know.
If you manage to find me my characters name is Jackson Robin, so you will recognize me pretty easily.
Hope to see you on manuel soon.
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #630468

There are different flavours of HoS, but I prefer the soviet commissar style. It takes a talented HoS to be a villain in his own right without crossing the line. Hugbox HoS makes the round safe, but evil HoS makes the round interesting.

I might explore this later in a longform post if I find the time to play more HoS in the coming weeks.
► Show Spoiler