Name Rating Thread

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Name Rating Thread

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627713

Bottom post of the previous page:

Post here for username rating!

I will rate them, others please feel free to do so as well!

I promise I will be honest about however your username makes me feel, whether good or bad. I am gonna try and make sure it's just about your username the best I can, and not a judgment of you as a person, so hopefully you don't need to worry.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Name Rating Thread

Post by Nabski » #716699

Timonk wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:41 pm
Nabski wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:32 pm This isn't a user name or a IC name. I'm still going for a rating. It's just a name for a little girl.

Cassandra Nobilo REDACTED(My Lastname)
sounds like roman royalty if im honest
but tell her that cassandra is a very cool name
I will tell her that timonk says she got a very cool name, but I don't think she will understand.
► Show Spoiler
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #716701

Nabski wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:32 pm This isn't a user name or a IC name. I'm still going for a rating. It's just a name for a little girl.

I gotta say just a perfect name thats a 20/20
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #716713

Nabski wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:48 pm
► Show Spoiler
i figured it was your kid, i didnt want to assume anything tho
anyways congrats on being a father and my condolences on her being born that early
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #717007

Oh man, I totally forgot I was even doing name rating
I will respond very soon
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #717025

Rate my byond username
Improvedname
The future is horrible!
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #717052

Nabski wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:48 pm
Timonk wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:41 pm

sounds like roman royalty if im honest
but tell her that cassandra is a very cool name
I will tell her that timonk says she got a very cool name, but I don't think she will understand.
► Show Spoiler
I am so glad it went alright Nabski. I wish her good health and I hope there are no complications. She really is hero for surviving 3 MONTHS early. Please also thank your doctors for me.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #717063

god's strongest necro
Walter brought back Crack.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #717724

I swear I will respond very very soon ok guys I haven't forgotten

Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #718307

Man guys, I must really suck, huh?
But I wouldn't break my promise; better late than never!
Finally, after much waiting, I am here to rate some names! After much perusal and consideration, I am ready to hand down some verdicts:
Timonk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:28 pmfirst
Timonk, well, to be honest I am surprised to have realized that I never rated your name before. I thought I would definitely have done it in years prior... Anyways, well, to be honest, your name has a few things going on for it: you've got a classic disyllabic structure to it, which makes it fairly standard. Now, the real question is regarding that first 'i'... is it a long or short vowel? I read it as short... like 'Tim' the name, not like 'Time'... If that's correct, then you're in the clear at the front. Following that then, the -onk part seems clearly to be a 'ôNGk' sound, like in 'honk.' A fine choice. The tenor of those two syllables together has a cascading quality to it phonetically. Orthographically however I'm gonna have to deduct a few points: I really just don't like seeing that 'T' at the start with a 'ONK' at the end. It doesn't really fit any English transliteral motif of which I am aware. If it were 'Timonck,' it would feel more consistent. However, the end could also be taken as 'monk,' like someone in a monastery. That would break the balance with the first half, but maybe be slightly better overall. However that being said, it's not really a huge deal either way, just one is slightly less preferred. Ultimately still though, it's a perfectly tolerable name.

Rating: 394 Piety
BonChoi wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:02 pm This is advanced necromancy.
Bon Choi. When I hear this name, in my head, it immediately alludes to Bok Choy, that vegetable you always see in the produce section of the grocery store but never buy. Well, I actually had it once at a terrible Thai restaurant, it was in the curry and barely cooked... that restaurant also had significant visible lime residue in the water. It wasn't great. But putting aside my dining-derived biases for a second, Bok Choy is just such a pleasant and delightful word to say. BAHK, CHOY! BAHK, CHOY! Now, your name certainly inherits a degree of this playfulness, though the softness of the 'n' being included in it weakens the sound's 'bounce,' so to speak, when exclaiming it. Bon Choi lacks the same ring... But that's alright. The other element at play here is its formation basis. What draws to my mind is its inspiration drawing from two separate sources: "Bon", obviously evokes a French origin, whether fair or not, and the "Choi," perhaps something from the Far East... Finally, by merging them together with no space between, they do create their own unique flavor as a name. While not setting any news heights, this is a name that does its job well enough.

Rating: 739 Credit Score
datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:47 am Rate me on the Deep Rock Galactic Hazard scale, a scale of 1-5 with Hazard 1 being bad and Hazard 5 being good.
Datorangebottle. All lower case. To the untrained eye, your name follows a basic Internet habit of creating names out of a seemingly random collection of common words. However, while the laity may assume that names like this were made by uninspired 13-year just trying to register an account for something, the more perceptive expert will recognize that this naming scheme actually derives from a long-held Internet tradition of 3-word artistry based in a comprehensive code of rich and deep symbolism for each and every word choice (a tradition perhaps comparable to Old World renaissance heraldry). Deciphering the meaning out of names like these can be a daunting task, and I will do my best assessment for yours, but I recognize it will probably be lacking to your original expressive intent. As well as I can understand your name, we need to first look at "Orange." I believe this is the operative word, and is a clear allusion to the House of Orange, in particular in this case, William of Orange; whereas the 'Bottle' then, must by logic, be referencing the wine trade in France. If I am correct, then, that means your name (atleast on a very surface level), is a reference to the Nine Years' War in Europe, and making a political statement about it. Now, the word 'dat' is exquisitely interesting here. While you are no doubt trying to at first invoke a Dali-esque subversion of the normal demonstrative pronoun, and ergo with the 'orange bottle,' making a statement about modern Euroscepticism... though, I think actually perhaps based on context, it also is statement on Platonic obligations of one's fertility. 'Dat' is a common slang word for one's procreatory abilities, and 'orange' traditionally has been slang for impotency as well. And I don't think I need to explain what 'bottle' means in that schema then... Finally, if we loop back to the more superficial meaning, referencing William of Orange, you can draw the obvious connection between his fertility issues and lack of success in producing a male heir. So I believe this is supposed to be a strong statement making light of the familiar and relatable difficulties across different eras, both antique and contemporary, of the myriad obligations and challenges that come with life of both commoners and elites alike.
However this assessment is only beginning to scratch the surface of such a deep and complex name, and is no doubt lacking in some of the deepmost meanings of your name. For example, something else worth exploring is the beautiful orthographic vowel rhythm in your name. Spell them out and you have a bi-alternative tri-pattern. A-O-A E-O-E. Regrettably though this review must end, or I could explore every crevice of a name so rich. As for the final rating? Well, it's good I guess. Kind of overdone.

Rating: 4 Hazard - Extreme
TheRex9001 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:41 am My name is so good because it sounds like I am a fake version of myself and everyone just calls me rex instead
TheRex9001. Now with a username like this, we're seeing kind of a microcosm in popular internet history. That one Dragon Ball meme has not been in for like... 13 years? Wow. Time flies... Anyways, a dated reference, but still an absolutely cherished true classic. Another great element here is 'TheRex'. Now, with a term like 'Rex,' which although just actually being a word, the connotation it drips with is of someone who is being conventionally cool. Like, the type of cool kid you looked up to in elementary school. Earnest, is the word to be used here. Not edgy cool, but earnest, 3rd grader cool. And I can appreciate that... especially when you're using an old-school nostalgic reference like the Dragon Ball one you used earlier. It reminds me of being a child. Finally, you keep a strong orthographic balance by not using spaces, which would throw off the verbal parity. Also, imagine for a second you had used underscores instead... that would seem too edgy or tryhard. Instead, you keep it solid, strong, and sincere. An excellent, classic, cool name.

Rating: IT'S OVER 9000!!!
DrAmazing343 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:03 amReal
DrAmazing343. Your name immediately evokes something which I'd see from an RP site... and not even a true RP site. Like a... fandom wiki. Where you RP about Sonic the Hedgehog nation-states or something. But that is admittedly a loose feeling. More particularly, if we dissect your name we can see a couple of features worth discussing. For one, using Dr as a title. Similar to the immediate gut reaction I mentioned, this appellative is potentially poison for a good username. The reason for that is it seems as if it's trying to impose your reputation, but in a manipulative way; compare it to military titles instead: PvtAmazing343 would seem straightforward comparatively... Dr tends to show some level of deceit in trying to foster prestige. However, at least you have one thing going for you towards counteracting that atleast: that is the 'Amazing.' Using the word amazing in your name is so blunt and over-the-top, it can't help but show a level of candor in your naming decisions. Your appendation of 343 is really also another element worth considering to an extra detail here. Normally it would just be a set of numbers, but you chose specifically to give use a melodic combination here. Saying it out loud "THree-Four-THree". I am sure what is happening there is no coincidence; you have the phonemes deviating back in forth. Th & F have a very close palatal similarity, while the 'ree' and 'o(u)rr' have an inverse symmetry. With this in mind, it helps vary out your name to be of relatively fair quality.

Rating: 50mg dosage of Ambazone

Good tiding to you Nabski, I am very pleased to hear that things went so well. I suppose I am honor-bound to make an exception to the username-only rule in this thread, considering the circumstances.
One part of that name I truly appreciate is that both of the names end with a vowel, but with different vowels. While in the Western context, many feminine names often end with -a, I do truly enjoy seeing an -o being used in that manner as well. It has an air of legitimacy and tradition to it, while also being fresh and slightly divergent from the norm as well. Cassandra is a fine classical name as well, and I have always liked it... Now though, I have some experience in this field, and I just want to let you know ahead of time- with a name like Cassandra, if she ever starts spouting prophecies about a great city being destroyed: IGNORE HER IMMEDIATELY. What she's saying is nonsense. I'm sure you understand. Otherwise I must say I've never heard the name Nobilo before. But I like it. It just straddles the edge of being kind of an unusual name, but in doing so, it hits the just perfect spot of still somehow seeming familiar, and also totally right. You also employ syllabic equilibrium, with each part having the same number, but all entirely different in each name.
In total genuine truth, this would be a great name to actually say both the first and middle name in everyday situations. I am quite a big fan of that aspect of it.
Anyways, I like the name Nabski. And also I know you'll be a great loving parent.

Rating: 100 Blessings for your Family
Ezel wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:11 pm Rate my byond username
Improvedname
Improvedname. Huh, that's a name I've seen many times before. Let me just say: your username is one that, even if I never had saw it before, looks well-established. Like, if I joined a random game forum or something, and I saw that name, with a post from it... I would assume that person has been there- for a long time. Now, believe me, I am detaching my own personal experience with you from that assessment; I believe it would be true in a vacuum. Why does that name work like that? Well, to be honest, I believe it's a two-fold reason. 1. The simplicity. Simplistic names often seem more familiar than not. I am sure that's obvious. Part of that is only using normal words to form your name. 2. The boldness. Using a simple name requires a great deal of boldness. Where a complicated name like xXkLaz3r-P122Xx is extremely unique that one individual, using a simplistic name requires you to stake your claim so to speak. You go "yeah, these two words are mine... what are you gonna do about it? huh?". And that shows you in general have a bold personality, and would explain why one would you assume to be an established and entrenched member of a community. Now, the fact is, I do think simplistic names are hit or miss. And in your case, it could do with some work. For example... what stands out here in the actual name part? I see nothing really interesting going on phonologically, or rhythmically... or really much else. It just seems rather cold and generic. But, that being said, it's certainly not bad. It is familiar and perfectly manageable; just nothing stands out, is all.

Rating: Needs Improvement.

Still happy to rate some more new names! I will get to them, even if it takes a moment!

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #718316

Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:36 am Rating: 4 Hazard - Extreme
You will be extremely disappointed to learn that my username is uninspired; orange is my favorite color and I had a literal orange bottle. I think the 'dat' came from the name being taken on some platforms.
I like your analysis though.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #718317

datorangebottle wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:05 am
Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:36 am Rating: 4 Hazard - Extreme
You will be extremely disappointed to learn that my username is uninspired; orange is my favorite color and I had a literal orange bottle. I think the 'dat' came from the name being taken on some platforms.
I like your analysis though.
Nonsense, no need to be humble my dear friend. Next thing you'd be telling me is that NintendoCapriSun's username was not a Delphic statement on British colonial fiscal logistics of the Pacific Theatre in WW2. I've been pranked once or twice, but I won't fall for something like that. This ain't my first rodeo. A name without a well-thought deeper meaning is hardly a name, right?

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #718320

YOU FOOL! The "monk" at the end actually means "Monkey", as if you did a little bit more research you would realize that I also go by "Timonkey" and "Timonkeyn"!
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Epoc
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epoc

Post by Epoc » #718442

another excellent name-rating post
happy 9th forum anniversary
iansdoor
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Iansdoor

Post by iansdoor » #718447

Classic Lansdoor, Landsoor and iansdoor.
I did steal my name from my older brother.

Also was imonareyouhappy for a long while
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #718449

Timonk wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:07 am YOU FOOL! The "monk" at the end actually means "Monkey", as if you did a little bit more research you would realize that I also go by "Timonkey" and "Timonkeyn"!
Oh. Sorry. This is the Name Rating Thread, not really name research thread I suppose. Obviously though, all perspectives are informed by deep nominological research, just not individual research for each rating.
Apologies anyways.
Epoc wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:16 pm another excellent name-rating post
happy 9th forum anniversary
Thanks, kind stranger.
(Admittedly I did have a forum account on the forums that preceded these ones)
iansdoor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:13 pm Classic Lansdoor, Landsoor and iansdoor.

I will rate very soon.

Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #718897

iansdoor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:13 pm Classic Lansdoor, Landsoor and iansdoor.

Iansdoor. Your name has a solid balance of letter choices. You have 4 vowels, 4 consonants. All different (and sizably different, none of that 'n' & 'm' stuff that some people do), except for a double-up in terms of 'o's. Now that adds for a nice healthy little bit of asymmetry there, and is appreciated. 'I' + 'A' and 'N' + 'S' are letters that go very well together, so being able to fit them in with one another is great. Doubly so with the fact that you were able to make them actual meaningful words, and triply so with how you got the 'A' to precede the 'N', creating a classic bladed consonant stem drop (ala Early Latin, Late Proto-Italic). Now, being able to capitalize that 'I' to look like an 'L' is a huge boost for your name as well... Lansdoor has almost all of the same good qualities as the original name, since the 'L' balances well enough with the other letters (though not as good as 'I'). So you are able to employ a healthy dual functionality there. "Imonareyouhappy" is not such a good name so I'm glad you didn't stick with it. Too on the nose, among other things. Anyways, Iansdoor is a fine name.

Rating: 336 Electoral Votes

Featherfield
Byond Username: Featherfield

Post by Featherfield » #718944

This thread is old and I cant be bothered to check if I posted Pocket the Pocket picking pickpocket yet for a mime who 100% wont pick your pockets