NEW RULE 12 OFFICIAL PLAYER REACTION THREAD !!LIVE!!

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

NEW RULE 12 OFFICIAL PLAYER REACTION THREAD !!LIVE!!

Post by RaveRadbury » #633094

RaveRadbury wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:16 am After a lot of deliberation, we have come up with a new rule in response to this thread.
Rule 12: This is a sandbox roleplaying game
The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Play-to-win gameplay that ruins the purpose of the game at the expense of others is against the rules.
Rule 12 Precedents
  • Playing-to-win is to focus exclusively on a competitive victory condition, such as killing all antagonists. It is not empowering yourself to achieve personal goals, or taking measures to survive the shift
  • Taking a few items beyond what you need to do your job is usually fine, especially if they're not needed by anyone else. Examples of okay items to take include taking a medkit from the public Medbay lobby or the insulated gloves from tech storage. Hoarding lots of station resources for poor reasons may break this rule and be handled administratively.
  • Genuine conflict with other players does not ruin the purpose of the game. Player conflicts will continue to be administrated in line with Escalation Rules.
Headmin Votes:
RaveRadbury: Agree
Dragomagol: Agree
NamelessFairy: Agree - During the community meeting some of you may remember that I was opposed to rule 3 when it was brought up. To be clear I agree with some of the objectives set out by it but not the initial rule as a whole and I have over the past few weeks been working with my fellow headmins to change the rule into something that I think will still accomplish most of what it set out to accomplish while also making it something that I think will be more widely accepted.
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Re: NEW RULE 12 OFFICIAL PLAYER REACTION THREAD !!LIVE!!

Post by Boot » #633096

Rave trying to ruin the game one more time before they lose power.
Image Image
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #633097

Boot wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:22 am Rave trying to ruin the game one more time before they lose power.
Buddy I got five more days, is there anything else I can do for you?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633098

Playing-to-win is to focus exclusively on a competitive victory condition, such as killing all antagonists.
If security kills the antagonists, is that playing to win, or are they exempt from this rule?
Genuine conflict with other players does not ruin the purpose of the game. Player conflicts will continue to be administrated in line with Escalation Rules.
This is a sort of odd one. What does it add to the rule?
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #633099

don't worry maybe the manuelmin head triumvirate will overturn it in 6 days :^)
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #633100

tgstation is dead
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #633102

Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #633104

No Valids??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #633107

based
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #633111

Neat, although I admittedly can’t quite wrap my head around it all. Whats the headmins team vision for a future tg where this rule is well established?
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Tjatpbnj

Post by tjatpbnj » #633115

Neat
look in the spanner box got no thing in there cant do go sailing in em
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633116

wesoda25 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:04 am Neat, although I admittedly can’t quite wrap my head around it all. Whats the headmins team vision for a future tg where this rule is well established?
this is what I want to know. what admins are deciding about rule 12 enforcement amongst themselves should be transparent.
Spoiler:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #633117

Stickymayhem wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:48 am tgstation is dead
long live tgstation
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #633141

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:10 am
wesoda25 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:04 am Neat, although I admittedly can’t quite wrap my head around it all. Whats the headmins team vision for a future tg where this rule is well established?
this is what I want to know. what admins are deciding about rule 12 enforcement amongst themselves should be transparent.
From what I understand, the basic idea is "if you spend most of your time most rounds doing nothing but hunting valids, we're going to have a talk".
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #633142

i want more content centered around da rules

what am i gonna use my state of the art lavaland gamer gear on except for valids??? hello???
► Show Spoiler
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #633144

Are you sure you want that question answered
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #633145

I also wanna clarify that "picking up random shit that might be helpful" isn't covered under this rule, and neither is beating the piss out of an antag who's trying to hurt you/others. It's when you make hunting antags your only purpose that it starts to stray into rule 12 territory.

I'm also very certain this is not the kind of thing that will get you banned for it happening once or twice.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #633151

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #633153

Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:14 am From what I understand, the basic idea is "if you spend most of your time most rounds doing nothing but hunting valids, we're going to have a talk".
secoff mains BTFO
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #633154

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633167

Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:36 am It's when you make hunting antags your only purpose that it starts to stray into rule 12 territory.
is this treated equally for sec and validhunters alike? sec's main job on LRP is to hunt/stop antags. detective's job is quite literally to find evidence of antag activity to give to sec to then hunt them.
i would expect hunting antags as sec is allowed but how they're treated should be proportional to their offenses instead of validing them for existing. the rule is very unclear about this though
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #633170

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:44 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:36 am It's when you make hunting antags your only purpose that it starts to stray into rule 12 territory.
is this treated equally for sec and validhunters alike? sec's main job on LRP is to hunt/stop antags. detective's job is quite literally to find evidence of antag activity to give to sec to then hunt them.
i would expect hunting antags as sec is allowed but how they're treated should be proportional to their offenses instead of validing them for existing. the rule is very unclear about this though
Sec's main job on LRP is to keep the peace, not just hunt antags. That being said, in my opinion, the rule's not intended to punish people who play Sec with the purpose of stopping antags. The only instance where I can imagine this would be an issue would be a Sec player taking a bunch of random shit from other departments to help them get antags.
Spoiler:

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #633175

I guess as long as the new rule is only used to ban serial offenders who are toeing the line for a rule 1 ban, it's fine. I hope we don't see dumb stuff like clowns getting bwoinked for grabbing toolbelts. The Headmins should clamp down on that sort of banbotting if they see it.
► Show Spoiler
Alphanerdd
Byond Username: Alphanerdd

Post by Alphanerdd » #633176

valid hunters mad long live the headmins
semi-regular sybil/terry/manuel background character Josh Hawkins
loathed and hated mime Translucency
professional bad take haver
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633183

Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:40 pm Sec's main job on LRP is to keep the peace, not just hunt antags.
I respect this view but disagree with it for LRP. Usually it's more sensible to focus on finding the big fish (antags), since they're the ones that'll really be causing the greatest disturbance in the peace, rather than intervene in squabbles. New escalation policy seems to reinforce this playstyle for sec as well - if someone is actually being wronged in a squabble, they can ahelp. If their conflict was valid, and this is just my opinion, sec should let them handle it amongst themselves.
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:40 pmThat being said, in my opinion, the rule's not intended to punish people who play Sec with the purpose of stopping antags. The only instance where I can imagine this would be an issue would be a Sec player taking a bunch of random shit from other departments to help them get antags.
This is understandable. It would be nice to hear the headmins confirm that's how it should be treated, though. I've heard Tattle for instance say that steamrolling antags as sec would be a rule 12 violation, whereas a back-and-forth wouldn't. That seems to punish sec players for being good at their jobs (I'm not sure what was meant by steamrolling though).
Spoiler:
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #633190

Validhunters are dead, and we killed them.

Anyway, in seriousness and my personal option, this rule ain’t so bad. I think this is a good step to making /TG/ just a little more fair. I just don’t want any admins banning someone for getting an toolbelt (that was confirmed in the posts above, so I have good feelings that this rule won’t be abused). I always thought the non-RP servers were more chaotic than MRP, and this rule completely changes everything. Let’s see what happens, then???
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #633193

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:48 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:40 pm Sec's main job on LRP is to keep the peace, not just hunt antags.
I respect this view but disagree with it for LRP. Usually it's more sensible to focus on finding the big fish (antags), since they're the ones that'll really be causing the greatest disturbance in the peace, rather than intervene in squabbles. New escalation policy seems to reinforce this playstyle for sec as well - if someone is actually being wronged in a squabble, they can ahelp. If their conflict was valid, and this is just my opinion, sec should let them handle it amongst themselves.
With all due respect, it's not our job to be handling every little IC squabble that happens. Sec's job is to catch criminals and punish them, and that includes everything from simple vandalism to attempted murder. If you're just playing sec solely to catch antags, I'd rather you play another role.
Spoiler:

Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #633196

Cool I guess. Hope it doesn't get taken too far, though I expect it won't really be used much more than rule 1 in practice.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633202

Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:30 pm Sec's job is to catch criminals and punish them, and that includes everything from simple vandalism to attempted murder. If you're just playing sec solely to catch antags, I'd rather you play another role.
Only an absolute psychopath would arrest people for simple vandalism on LRP. There is simply no chance you could arrest every single person that commits a minor crime, and even if you could, you'd be putting half the station in gulag. Getting bogged down with shovefights and shittery in the hallways while a cult is slowly growing its base unknown in maint is a pretty terrible way to play security. Nothing makes antag easier than when sec is on a 20 minute chase after 3 nonantag assistants for hacking into medbay.

Obviously major nonantag crimes like hacking into bridge, brig, possession of restricted items etc. should still be handled. But that's only because all these things pose a legitimate threat.
Spoiler:
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #633204

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:15 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:30 pm Sec's job is to catch criminals and punish them, and that includes everything from simple vandalism to attempted murder. If you're just playing sec solely to catch antags, I'd rather you play another role.
Only an absolute psychopath would arrest people for simple vandalism on LRP. There is simply no chance you could arrest every single person that commits a minor crime, and even if you could, you'd be putting half the station in gulag. Getting bogged down with shovefights and shittery in the hallways while a cult is slowly growing its base unknown in maint is a pretty terrible way to play security. Nothing makes antag easier than when sec is on a 20 minute chase after 3 nonantag assistants for hacking into medbay.

Obviously major nonantag crimes like hacking into bridge, brig, possession of restricted items etc. should still be handled. But that's only because all these things pose a legitimate threat.
Are sure your real life skull shape is within norm and indentation-free?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633206

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:37 pm

you're a virgin + L + ratio
Spoiler:
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned

Post by tjatpbnj » #633207

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:15 pm Only an absolute psychopath would arrest people for simple vandalism on LRP. There is simply no chance you could arrest every single person that commits a minor crime, and even if you could, you'd be putting half the station in gulag. Getting bogged down with shovefights and shittery in the hallways while a cult is slowly growing its base unknown in maint is a pretty terrible way to play security. Nothing makes antag easier than when sec is on a 20 minute chase after 3 nonantag assistants for hacking into medbay.

Sec's job is to deal with criminals. If you don't deal with thieves/vandals or the like of them, instead trying to find antags (who may not even exist), then you are ignoring your job in favor of validhunting.

Catching antags isn't your only job. If this cult base is truly growing unknown in maint, then why should you care at all? You have no clue it exists, and those assistants that broke into engi to steal insulated gloves also need to be punished.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #633208

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:15 pm Only an absolute psychopath would arrest people for simple vandalism on LRP. There is simply no chance you could arrest every single person that commits a minor crime, and even if you could, you'd be putting half the station in gulag. Getting bogged down with shovefights and shittery in the hallways while a cult is slowly growing its base unknown in maint is a pretty terrible way to play security. Nothing makes antag easier than when sec is on a 20 minute chase after 3 nonantag assistants for hacking into medbay.

I got nothin'. There's absolutely nothing I can say to this that isn't going to be insulting.

I guess all I can say is, as someone who's been playing on and off for about ten years, you're about as wrong as anyone's ever been.
Spoiler:

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633210

tjatpbnj wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:42 pm Catching antags isn't your only job. If this cult base is truly growing unknown in maint, then why should you care at all? You have no clue it exists, and those assistants that broke into engi to steal insulated gloves also need to be punished.
I should care because, yknow, by the time you find out they'll have haloes and the station will be sacrificed to an eldritch god and go up in flames? Why in the fuck would you pussyfoot around with an assistant stealing insuls? You get the engi his insuls back, flush the tider down disposals, then move on to things that actually matter.
Vekter wrote:I guess all I can say is, as someone who's been playing on and off for about ten years, you're about as wrong as anyone's ever been.
As someone who has like 1200 security hours ((would not recommend btw)) I suggest you just play like a few rounds of security on an LRP server and attempt to do what you're suggesting. I promise it will not go well.
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spoiler:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #633212

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:15 pmOnly an absolute psychopath would arrest people for simple vandalism on LRP.
Tbh one of my fondest Sybil memories was being a detective and finding out who spraypainted “clown rules sec sux” (or something like that) in the sec hallway. It was the chaplain framing the clown, but I think he intended to get caught (he left his spraycan behind) and it made the round extra fun for a newbie detective.
► Show Spoiler
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned

Post by tjatpbnj » #633218

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:28 pm
tjatpbnj wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:42 pm Catching antags isn't your only job. If this cult base is truly growing unknown in maint, then why should you care at all? You have no clue it exists, and those assistants that broke into engi to steal insulated gloves also need to be punished.
I should care because, yknow, by the time you find out they'll have haloes and the station will be sacrificed to an eldritch god and go up in flames? Why in the fuck would you pussyfoot around with an assistant stealing insuls? You get the engi his insuls back, flush the tider down disposals, then move on to things that actually matter.
You would arrest the assistant first because you don't even know if there's a blood cult. Why would you prioritize looking for antags over punishing actual crimes, if you don't know those antags exist?

In a round where the antags aren't so significant, like a traitor round, validhunting like this is even less justified. Dealing with petty criminals should be higher on the priority list than looking for antags whose locations and identities you may not even know. Medical doctors don't look for corpses when there are people in medbay asking to be healed.
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #633219

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:20 pm
Rohen_Tahir wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:37 pm

you're a virgin + L + ratio
source?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #633223

Farquaar wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:34 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:15 pmOnly an absolute psychopath would arrest people for simple vandalism on LRP.
Tbh one of my fondest Sybil memories was being a detective and finding out who spraypainted “clown rules sec sux” (or something like that) in the sec hallway. It was the chaplain framing the clown, but I think he intended to get caught (he left his spraycan behind) and it made the round extra fun for a newbie detective.
This is what so many newer players miss out on. You're so convinced that this is some AMOGUS social deduction game that you're more worried about winning than just having fun and enjoying the roleplay.
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:28 pm As someone who has like 1200 security hours ((would not recommend btw)) I suggest you just play like a few rounds of security on an LRP server and attempt to do what you're suggesting. I promise it will not go well.
1) Why the fuck do you have 1200 hours in a role you don't enjoy
2) It's okay but I mostly play sec on MRP because it's an easier job there due to the rules. From what I understand, the headmins are hoping rule 12 will help alleviate this on LRP as well.
Spoiler:

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #633225

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:15 pm you'd be putting half the station in gulag
good
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633227

Vekter wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:35 am 1) Why the fuck do you have 1200 hours in a role you don't enjoy
2) It's okay but I mostly play sec on MRP because it's an easier job there due to the rules. From what I understand, the headmins are hoping rule 12 will help alleviate this on LRP as well.
If you mostly play sec on MRP it’s a totally different job there, in my experience. Arresting for petty crimes and following spacelaw closer makes sense there. Also I love sec I’m just joshin.
tjat wrote: Dealing with petty criminals should be higher on the priority list than looking for antags whose locations and identities you may not even know. Medical doctors don't look for corpses when there are people in medbay asking to be healed.
It’s more like, a med doctor ignoring a patient who came to medbay with minor bruising to go look for possible dead guys in maint. Also imagine there’s a command report that says how chaotic the shift will be. If it’s impending doom there’s no way I’m going to chase a tider for 10 min and process him for another 5 for insul theft. A fourth of the shift for that?
Spoiler:
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #633229

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:47 am
Playing-to-win is to focus exclusively on a competitive victory condition, such as killing all antagonists.
If security kills the antagonists, is that playing to win, or are they exempt from this rule?
Security should not be playing to "kill valid". It is their job to deal with and neutralize threats, but not to ensure nothing happens for the rest of the shift because every antag was executed on the spot the instant they are caught hacking a door. Perma is great because people can escape and continue to add to the round.
Weston Echard on Sybil
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned

Post by tjatpbnj » #633230

sinfulbliss wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:31 am It’s more like, a med doctor ignoring a patient who came to medbay with minor bruising to go look for possible dead guys in maint. Also imagine there’s a command report that says how chaotic the shift will be. If it’s impending doom there’s no way I’m going to chase a tider for 10 min and process him for another 5 for insul theft. A fourth of the shift for that?
The command report is basically meaningless. It doesn't tell you how busy a shift will be.

Why should you ignore someone committing a crime just because you think there will be valids to go after instead, if you wait? It's your ONLY job. If you don't want to arrest criminals, why are you playing sec?
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #633232

I love this take on sec so as a semi-sec main who's had to wrangle on LRP I am happy to chime in.

As a solo officer twiddling your baton, you have to pick your battles when things go tits up high chaos.

Great example, I do one lap around the metaloop. I see three things.
>Someone psychically throwing a spear into a naked corpse.
>Someone dragging a body who is not medical, southbound maybe
>Someone staring at a command door with an open latch, obviously breaking in

I'll probably choose the breakin, report the psychic spear along the way and more or less hope the corpsedrag was a legitimate medical pull. I agree you can't catch everybody, and I've been there where you're suddenly in a 1v2/3/4 with shitlers tiding over a broken window.

That window situation is another good hypothetical. You can't make a magic crowd arrest, so you pop back, set them all to wanted and get backup or arm up to pick them up one by one. I think you have to enjoy the hunt and be smarter than just brawling to make multiple small arrests work on LRP. Then when you're dragging them and they go "bro lmao ratio that was forever ago" you can say "True, but the law remembers." And give them the vandalism, plus rioting, plus assault, plus evading arrest.

I've been to a point where it is so high chaos that I am basically giving everyone who resists a free ride to go slap dirt at the funny farm. Sure, you might get bwoinked when one of them cries. However, every admin I've ever interacted with about it has been pleasant and understanding once I explain that I am in the grey tide rapids and I am using my stun baton as a paddle. If that's enough to make you give up and go scouring for antag you might want to hang up the red hat and relax for awhile.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #633233

I sure love getting killed just for stealing the advanced boots and wearing them. (Not even putting a bug, just wearing)
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #633237

Vekter wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:35 am 1) Why the fuck do you have 1200 hours in a role you don't enjoy
Vekter hasn't had the displeasure of talking to a league of legends or dead by daylight player before, clearly.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #633241

I figured this was already under the Golden Rule. I don't like this rule solely because it feels redundant.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #633248

But you said it's growing unknown. You don't know there's a cult. So why ignore everything else, you don't KNOW that there's anything bigger.
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #633250

Vekter wrote:I guess all I can say is, as someone who's been playing on and off for about ten years, you're about as wrong as anyone's ever been.
As someone who has like 1200 security hours ((would not recommend btw)) I suggest you just play like a few rounds of security on an LRP server and attempt to do what you're suggesting. I promise it will not go well.
It won't go well but for reasons completely unrelated to undicovered cult with halos in maint.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #633257

i highly doubt the admins are going to ban sec for doing their job

this is more going to be used for people who consistently powergame so hard they become genuinely unpleasant to play with, not people who just grab cable cuffs and a flash just in case they need to defend themselves
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #633258

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:08 am I figured this was already under the Golden Rule. I don't like this rule solely because it feels redundant.
It sets an expectation, and gives us admins something else to point to aside from r1.
rule 11 is redundant because not being a bigot kind of falls under not being a dick, however I would find it hard to argue that rule 11's implementation hasn't helped clean up the servers and discord.

Yes, it might be "redundant" in that we have a rule to already deal with this, but it's something to point to and something admins can and probably will use when previously applying rule 1 would be difficult to sustain. Rule 1 bans are a bitch.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!