Lathe Economy Codenut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Lathe Economy Codenut

Post by datorangebottle » #635620

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/65795

Lathe tax. I... don't see how this helps anything. Honestly. I'm confused, bewildered, and baffled. What purpose does putting a tax on lathe items serve? I just see this leading to science and engineering never upgrading anything(even worse than it is now, somehow), engineering not building anything new, assistants resorting to heavier tiding instead of doing autism projects, etc.

Also the idea that non-mapper/spriter/coder opinions have zero value and don't matter is a shit take, this stuff directly affects us. Even if the guy's a chode. @JFW
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: Lathe Economy Codenut

Post by Bawhoppennn » #635622

Arcane made a marketing mistake by not calling it a LATHE TITHE
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #635624

If you wanna make the economy matter, gatekeeping lathes ain’t the way to do it.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #635625

I can already see a round where coins get dumped into a blob but we can't afford to bring more welders so we just die. I'm saying this as a good thing btw.
Image Image
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #635626

Adam Klein wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:37 pm If you wanna make the economy matter, gatekeeping lathes ain’t the way to do it.
And what is? We can't just keep adding a bunch of more items in hopes that people who haven't bought them will buy them, and people already don't care about vending machines.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #635627

RIP conveyor belts any anything else you need to bulk print.
Did they change .357 ammo to be single shot per print? If so (Insert tf2 heavy meme).
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #635629

truly, capitalism gaming

Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #635630

People don't care about vending machines because there's only like three items in them worth buying that are scattered across different ones. If you want people to use Cargo you have to actually put shit people would WANT in cargo. Adding a way to bypass R&D with exhorbiant amounts of cash would definitely encourage people to want to make money. Imagine being able to buy a crate of AEGs as sec for... ten to fifteen thousand. Or a full medibelt of advanced surgery tools for five thousand. Stuff that would make it feasibly hard to kit out the entirety of your department or the station purely via money, so that R&D isn't useless, but also allowing people to get a jumpstart on things if they're economically minded, or if they get ignored by R&D.

The other alternative is adding cargo exclusive shit, which is what WTs and Thermal Pistols are, but WTs got removed and thermal pistols aren't exactly very desirable. The biggest issue is going to be making shit people want without breaking the game in half. All this is gonna lead to is people just fuckin' letting the station go to shit if it gets blown up and never doing upgrades, along with shit like the CRAB-17 now absolutely decimating the station. Be a nukie and buy 2 or 3 crabs and wipe the crew's entire budget, then they can't print shit or buy shit at cargo.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #635632

Mothblocks wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:44 pm
Adam Klein wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:37 pm If you wanna make the economy matter, gatekeeping lathes ain’t the way to do it.
And what is? We can't just keep adding a bunch of more items in hopes that people who haven't bought them will buy them, and people already don't care about vending machines.
TRAADERRRRRRRSSSSS PLAYED BY PEOPLE AND THEY SELL GOOD SHIT
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #635634

Nabski wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:49 pm RIP conveyor belts any anything else you need to bulk print.
Did they change .357 ammo to be single shot per print? If so (Insert tf2 heavy meme).
It is one shot per print, yes
1) Like Yulice said, people don't spend money because there's nothing worth buying. The only semi-relevant vendors on the entire station are Medical's various vendors, the botanist's seeds, some of the crap chefs need, the Sec vendor, and the YouTool - which is mostly only important for buying crowbars.

2) We could just remove the economy and return to 2014 monkey :) The economy/paycheck stuff is a system of changes that, as someone who missed all the stepwise implementation, feels like it makes things a lot more involved for little real gain.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #635636

Well, there goes half my clown gimmicks.

I'll miss being building my own autolathe and using it to outfit a butter-on-a-stick stand in the vacant commissary.
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #635639

AI LAW 2 PRESS THIS BUTTON FOR ME SO I DON'T LOSE MONEY!
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #635641

Uploading Law 4: Losing money is harmful to humans.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #635646

Yulice wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:22 pm Uploading Law 4: Losing money is harmful to humans.
>mfw the AI deconstructs all lathes and vending machines on the station, along with the cargo and vault consoles
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #635647

I’m not sure, but making the game more tedious to play isn’t the way to do it. We’re in a hyper post scarcity future, why the hell would NT charge people for the tools to do their job. This is just going to cuck autism projects and disincentive repairs.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #635648

My question is, how does this make the game any better?

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #635650

I thought economy already was a success because:
1. Money is a fun RP prop
2. Money can be used to buy l33t gear from vending machines
3. People would actively trade money in-game for reasons 1 and 2

Ask not what the game can do for arconomy- ask what the acronomy can do for the game.
► Show Spoiler
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #635658

Wait doesn't this mean we'll have at least 5 CRABS every roundstart, which now are indestructible by the way, and noone will be able to buy/print anything at 5 minutes into the round?
Last edited by Agux909 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #635660

Like many of the bad PRs, it fails to answer "why?" Okay, you want players to interact with the economy more. You want things to cost money and people to care about money more. Attaching the economy to lathes is a good way to do this. But hold on - why? Why do we need more of an economy in the first place, how does it improve the player experience? It simply adds tedium, like experisci, which I believe no sci players enjoyed.

No one plays SS13 for the economy. It's nice being able to create items that you need for something without having to do boring, menial tasks like collecting 4 bottles of pepperspray and then shipping a bounty cube for an extra 100 credits to buy, what, tools?
Spoiler:
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #635664

why the fuck SHOULD the economy matter? what sounds remotely fun about that whatsover? why do the coders keep adding more tedium to the game?
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #635666

I'm very much of the opinion that if we want a complicated, interesting, and fun economic system then we are going to have to throw out everything money-related and start over.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #635671

thomanthewise5404 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:54 pm
why the fuck SHOULD the economy matter? what sounds remotely fun about that whatsover? why do the coders keep adding more tedium to the game?
To be clear, I don't actually like economy at all, but if you were to "make the economy matter", how do you do it aside from either adding more powerful items to the game, or altering what's free?
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #635672

Mothblocks wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:27 am
To be clear, I don't actually like economy at all, but if you were to "make the economy matter", how do you do it aside from either adding more powerful items to the game, or altering what's free?
Add more items to the game (they can be powerful, combat in this game is fun and is why people play it!), add player controlled traders (all the races could be good for this) who gatekeep access to these things for whatever goal of theirs like killing eachother in an arena or some shit. kind of like friend pirates, some of which can be hostile to eachother?

Power social interactions and tension instead of doing weird numerical cbt
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #635693

Lathe Tax is the worst idea I've ever heard. 10 credits per item is, right now, absolutely horrendous, after the change goes through and money values are lowered? That's fucking insane. This will have a drastic effect on the game and not in a good way.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #635695

Don't care still gonna buy jackboots and military jacket roundstart
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #635697

Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #635704

viewtopic.php?t=31389&p=635682
Put legitimate complaints on the actual thread
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #635710

I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to complain about this if you don't read the PR/hack.md.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #635725

We're tried improve, several times now. Perhaps it's time to give remove a shot...
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #635727

Expand what's available at cargo. I recently tried to purchase a lizard from cargo for a gimmick and they are not purchase-able.

Economy should be used to gain sparce but weak items.

Things like batteries, materials, livestock.

TG has a library of literally 1000s to 10,000s of items and cargo barely touches most of them.

Gating items behind cash barriers is the ultimate feel bad experience.

Also I am really worried about how this will interact with upgrades. It takes a lot of materials to upgrade even one job. I suspect if this pr goes through upgrading will become a lot rarer. Even now some departments never get upgraded.

Taxing won't compel players to use economy, they will just avoid it.
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #635736

After playing a few rounds with the PR testmerged, i can confirm that it fucking sucks. The "lathe freedom protests" of 2547 will forever be remembered as a dark day in Nanotrasens history.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #635741

If you want people to desire moneys to spend moneys add gachashit machines that dispense obnoxious cosmetics and waifu cards and make them carry over to future rounds.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #635748

fermiconomy :)
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #635760

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:40 am If you want people to desire moneys to spend moneys add gachashit machines that dispense obnoxious cosmetics and waifu cards and make them carry over to future rounds.
We have an entire trading card game, I just don't remember if persistence exists in any capacity or not
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Tactical_Game_Cards
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #635764

ArcaneDefence wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:51 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:40 am If you want people to desire moneys to spend moneys add gachashit machines that dispense obnoxious cosmetics and waifu cards and make them carry over to future rounds.
We have an entire trading card game, I just don't remember if persistence exists in any capacity or not
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Tactical_Game_Cards
NOT
WAIFUS
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #635765

Biddle Lathes.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #635767

Could be fine but components and sheets should be cheaper. It cost me 10 credits to print a single plasma glass sheet from the cargo protolathe as a cargo technician, which is too much. Materials ejected from protolathes don't cost and neither do materials ejected from the ORM. It should probably be made consistent with the price being brought down to something more reasonable like 1 cr per sheet.

Encouraging people to conserve materials is a good idea, though.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #635772

cacogen wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:23 pm Could be fine but components and sheets should be cheaper. It cost me 10 credits to print a single plasma glass sheet from the cargo protolathe as a cargo technician, which is too much. Materials ejected from protolathes don't cost and neither do materials ejected from the ORM. It should probably be made consistent with the price being brought down to something more reasonable like 1 cr per sheet.

Encouraging people to conserve materials is a good idea, though.
I brought this up to Arcane in Discord last night, they said they'd look into it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #635839

I'm sad nobody liked my pun
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.