Final (Campbell) Solution

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Final (Campbell) Solution

Post by Tearling » #636674

Hello admins, I have the solution to your Campbell problem. I understand that you want to fix the problem of all the roleplayers joining manuel when it's highpop, and then not choosing to play on campbell at any point. There are many possible solutions to this problem, and several of them have already been attempted. Rave tried to negotiate with the manuelites, and negotiations fell through. MSO is trying to shut-down manuel for a weekend, but I'm sure that'll fail too.

The reason why is complex, but I believe there is a simple but necessary solution if you want Campbell to thrive. It's the name.
I hate the name "Campbell" it's so stupid. When I think of Campbell I think of a bell in a camp. It makes no sense. If you want players to play on Campbell, switch it to something everyone would WANT to play on. Something like "Canwell" or maybe even "Canuel." This, guaranteed, would solve the problem within 2 days.

If it turns out MSO's shutdown protocols do indeed work, I expect everyone to forget this thread happened. If they don't work, I expect to be considered a prophet of the ages. Thank you.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Final (Campbell) Solution

Post by Shadowflame909 » #636680

Should change its name to Tutoriel
► Show Spoiler
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #636686

Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:37 pm Should change its name to Tutoriel
Or perhaps womanuel so we're more inclusive
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636687

Change the name to Bruce Campbell

Watch people swarm to it

Start every role with a shotgun
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636690

wtf is campbell
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #636693

Kendrickorium wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:14 am wtf is campbell
► Show Spoiler
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #636697

Campbell problem? Is that a name for some kind of mob or something?
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #636723

This is exactly the problem. Campbell sounds more like a type of cereal than it does a server, and this needs to change.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #636729

Tearling wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:47 am
This is exactly the problem. Campbell sounds more like a type of cereal than it does a server, and this needs to change.
No it doesn't. It sounds like a canned soup brand.
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #636748

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:01 am
Tearling wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:47 am
No it doesn't. It sounds like a canned soup brand.
I think it could double as both, really.
"Try out Campbells new soup cereal deluxe! Available at your nearest convenience store"
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #636764

Does anybody have long-term player population metrics for tg as a whole
Statbus only seems to go back 30 days

Edit: Nevermind I found oranges data page, though it seems to be partially out of date and scales weirdly at the end due to what I can only imagine being the result of oranges not knowing how to calculate a moving average
I was wondering if perhaps Campbell's dwindling population was due to a dwindling population as a whole
The influence of the ssethtide has dwindled over the last couple of years but that's partially to be expected
I wonder how it compares to the population charts of other servers

Edit2: Lol nevermind, I just realized that page is total monthly player counts which is borderline worthless as a collective playtime metric which is what I actually wanted to track

Edit3 I'm on a fucking roll here: What I really want is total daily living and ghost minutes over as long a time period as I can possibly get
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #636880

https://moth.fans/data/players-per-day

I guess not 2019 but this was what I found useful for actual comparison
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #636913

Call it Polly or Gatsby do not deviate from the fawlty towers naming convention
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #636934

Perhaps it could be named Pogo, Artyom, Sigyn, Badger, or that other name I forgot
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #637004

Stickymayhem wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:16 pm Call it Polly or Gatsby do not deviate from the fawlty towers naming convention
Make it stand out while still fitting the naming convention, Dragonfly.