Peanut/Policynut? Linking-"murderbone"-to-objectives and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Peanut/Policynut? Linking-"murderbone"-to-objectives and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Post by Pandarsenic » #636909

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31478

In the attempt to enforce RP by preventing casual murderbone, MRP servers have stifled traitor RP to be even more restrictive than 2014 BayStation and modern LRP servers.

HRP, 2014: You have NO objectives. You get telecrystals and absolute freedom to pursue what you think will make an interesting story for the round, as long as you justify it in an interesting way in-character and create points of interaction.

LRP, 2022: Objectives are a way to get TCs and items available, but you are free to RP whatever you want. Mad scientist or terrorist plasma flooding the station for revenge against imagined insults? Hijack the shuttle to pay off your debts? UnaRiddler asking the station to solve your puzzles, detonating a maxcap for every failed answer? Hell yeah, show them what you're made of.

MRP, 2022: Follow your objectives, or else :)

By strictly limiting your antagonistic actions to those that advance your goals, MRP drains antagonists of all opportunity for creativity, flexibility, dynamism, storytelling. With these policies in place, is it any wonder that Manuel is famed for antagonists who don't antagonize? What else can they do? What freedom do they have to be creative, to collaborate with each other for IC reasons, to be more than the sum of their objectives? Quiet antagonists who steal what they need and then go silent for the whole round to get greentext have always been one of the most hated types of player, accused of being a waste of the antag roll that someone else could have spent better. Were they right to be so maligned? Perhaps. Manuel shows us what happens when such a playstyle is, in effect, administratively enforced. "Boring, but practical" is exactly what it sounds like, not just for the antag player but for the whole crew.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Peanut/Policynut? Linking-"murderbone"-to-objectives and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #636910

Yeah, one of my biggest grievances with Manuel.

That being said still a rule break, so I suppose the ban is justified.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Re: Peanut/Policynut? Linking-"murderbone"-to-objectives and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Post by Sylphet » #636915

Yes, Manuel's murderbone policy is fucking awful, has a chilling effect on interesting gimmicks and emergent gameplay, and should be thrown out.

That said, it is against the rules and it would be bad if we started selectively enforcing rules.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #636916

Sylphet wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:20 pm That said, it is against the rules and it would be bad if we started selectively enforcing rules.
Rule 0 8-)
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #636926

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:46 pm LRP, 2022: Objectives are a way to get TCs and items available, but you are free to RP whatever you want. Mad scientist or terrorist plasma flooding the station for revenge against imagined insults? Hijack the shuttle to pay off your debts? UnaRiddler asking the station to solve your puzzles, detonating a maxcap for every failed answer? Hell yeah, show them what you're made of.

By strictly limiting your antagonistic actions to those that advance your goals, MRP drains antagonists of all opportunity for creativity, flexibility, dynamism, storytelling. With these policies in place, is it any wonder that Manuel is famed for antagonists who don't antagonize? What else can they do? What freedom do they have to be creative, to collaborate with each other for IC reasons, to be more than the sum of their objectives? Quiet antagonists who steal what they need and then go silent for the whole round to get greentext have always been one of the most hated types of player, accused of being a waste of the antag roll that someone else could have spent better. Were they right to be so maligned? Perhaps. Manuel shows us what happens when such a playstyle is, in effect, administratively enforced. "Boring, but practical" is exactly what it sounds like, not just for the antag player but for the whole crew.
Literally all you have to do is ahelp before you do anything big, I approve those requests all the time.

Big doubt that anyone is doing Riddler RP for their antag round on LRP. Gimme the round ID.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636927

RaveRadbury wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:39 pm
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:46 pm LRP, 2022: Objectives are a way to get TCs and items available, but you are free to RP whatever you want. Mad scientist or terrorist plasma flooding the station for revenge against imagined insults? Hijack the shuttle to pay off your debts? UnaRiddler asking the station to solve your puzzles, detonating a maxcap for every failed answer? Hell yeah, show them what you're made of.

Literally all you have to do is ahelp before you do anything big, I approve those requests all the time.

Big doubt that anyone is doing Riddler RP for their antag round on LRP. Gimme the round ID.
God I wish they were still doing it. I haven't seen that shit in over 8 years (and you had to have a small number of really good riddles, because you couldn't order more TTVs).

Manuel is where I would expect it to happen, except the server culture (player-side aversion to antagonists actually antagonizing) and the administrative defaults (murderbone rules, etc.) discourage it.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #636931

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:43 pm Manuel is where I would expect it to happen, except the server culture (player-side aversion to antagonists actually antagonizing) and the administrative defaults (murderbone rules, etc.) discourage it.
The big secret admins don't want you to know is that if you go about your antag round with enough style and novelty you can get away with quite a bit. Unfortunately so many people are sweaty for their round to happen PERFECTLY that they are unwilling to do any sort of talking or communication and then their style meter drops to 0 because everyone hates wordless kills.

I've had people be like "Can I nuke the SM" and I'm like "Can you make any sort of announcement over comms about how this is your revenge and they'll all pay for their betrayal, can you do like *any* amount of villain monologuing before you do your big thing" and once its laid out for them like that they find a way to do it and everyone has a cool time dying idk.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #636935

It's really hard to deny that there's a significant group who have an large aversion to antaggery. So many people complain in deadchat/the Discord, even sometimes when it's the dang objective for the antag... Even if admins don't get involved, it's a really disheartening player atmosphere in that regard.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636937

RaveRadbury wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:57 pm The big secret admins don't absolutely do want you to know is that if you go about your antag round with enough style and novelty you can get away with quite a bit. Unfortunately so many people are sweaty for their round to happen PERFECTLY that they are unwilling to do any sort of talking or communication and then their style meter drops to 0 because everyone hates wordless kills.

I've had people be like "Can I nuke the SM" and I'm like "Can you make any sort of announcement over comms about how this is your revenge and they'll all pay for their betrayal, can you do like *any* amount of villain monologuing before you do your big thing" and once its laid out for them like that they find a way to do it and everyone has a cool time dying idk.
The trick there ofc is that we've already selected for people who have higher aspirations than Greentext or Body Count and are receptive to a nudge in the right direction.

Honestly, I'd-

Hol' up

Idea

Going straight to the ideas forum I'm a genius brb
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #636944

RaveRadbury wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:39 pm Literally all you have to do is ahelp before you do anything big, I approve those requests all the time.

"If you wanna have fun you better ask the jannies or ELSE". Manuel is a mistake.
Image Image
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #636955

Boot wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:54 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWHRB98McEc
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #636956

The system would be perfect if admins were eternally active and focused omniscient paragons of fun. Until then, it will always be at least a little limiting.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #636957

I did it on sybil a long while ago.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #636958

wesoda25 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:27 pm

I did it on sybil a long while ago.
Headmin this man.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #636959

Thats a nice thing to say thanks

I should say though it really wasn’t anything that unique at the time. Gimmicks on lrp can be difficult due to the culture of powergaming but hopefully that new rp rule gives people a bit more breathing room with their antag rounds
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #636966

Would it be so bad if we just said, "You can get away with killing like five people with little justification, but any more than that and it better be related to your objectives."?
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636968

That wouldn't solve the problem, it would just create more of this weird tangle of rulings.

I think viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31482 would be a good balance of being sure antags kill with a purpose, TELLING everyone that purpose, and giving them that freedom (but also putting them under scrutiny if their reason is something stupid like "lol kill them all")

I'm a big proponent of "every kill should be for an actual reason, but there should be no shortage of kills." Plus, prompting for a gimmick means (hopefully) giving people something to interact with.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #636972

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:23 pm That wouldn't solve the problem, it would just create more of this weird tangle of rulings.

I think viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31482 would be a good balance of being sure antags kill with a purpose, TELLING everyone that purpose, and giving them that freedom (but also putting them under scrutiny if their reason is something stupid like "lol kill them all")

I'm a big proponent of "every kill should be for an actual reason, but there should be no shortage of kills." Plus, prompting for a gimmick means (hopefully) giving people something to interact with.
I wish there was some way to get the vibe correct and the vibe is the following:

If you're fucking boring you get to kill less people than if you're creative.

But when it comes down to it this basically amounts to "Unlimited freedom for cool people and minimal freedom to lame people" which is dumb

I dunno I wish we just did more short sharp bans to curb annoying repeat behaviours from the minority that makes things unfun by abusing stuff.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636974

Stickymayhem wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:37 pm I wish there was some way to get the vibe correct and the vibe is the following:

If you're fucking boring you get to kill less people than if you're creative.

But when it comes down to it this basically amounts to "Unlimited freedom for cool people and minimal freedom to lame people" which is dumb
This has always kind of been the case, though, including that IMO historically admins clearly knew that some players were Good and would do cool things, but others were just kind of Assholes and they wouldn't do anything fun or exciting or creative. It was just a Known Thing, not just to the admin team but to the players, and you can't shut that info out.

The simple fact is admins are humans who can't help making those observations of the impacts that these players have on the rounds they're in. It's more fun to watch something like "Two assistants made a containment field with 40 tesla balls on the bridge and the field just got breached and now the entire station is being fucking bodied by a poorly thought out megaproject and someone whose objective was to steal a jetpack" compared to, say, "Parapen my target, C4, later nerds! Time to figure out what to do with the rest of my TC." It's more fun to DIE to that kind of unexpected catastrophe than by some boring "Traitor poked me, gibbed me, and did nothing for the next 40 minutes."

Even though Progtraitor pushes them to do STUFF constantly, that stuff still doesn't need to be interesting to anyone. It's all too easy to just be "I do what I have to until I get more TCs for new toys."
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #636975

My ADHD-afflicted peabrain is straining it's limit as it is whenever i play an antag role. Having to juggle a conversation in ahelps on top of that would likely send it over the edge and see my plans tumble to the ground like bowling pins. Also, antag rolls are already RNGy enough. If i now also have to roll an admin who will agree to my gimmick, i'm effectively having to roll positive twice in a row for a fun round.
I've asked for new thief objectives twice, and had my ahelp rejected one of those times. I don't think that speaks much for the viability of tying fun, creative antag rounds to admin mandate.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #636976

to be fair if security is robust they can just flash the borgs and cut the cams and trying to stop them from harming just gets your borgs locked down and your laws changed
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636979

nianjiilical wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:21 pm to be fair if security is robust they can just flash the borgs and cut the cams and trying to stop them from harming just gets your borgs locked down and your laws changed
Hey buddy, I think you've got the wrong door. The silicon thread is two blocks down
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #636980

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:23 pm That wouldn't solve the problem, it would just create more of this weird tangle of rulings.
I don't see how that makes rulings more complicated if all the previous definitions of 'who can or can't murderbone and when does that change' get swept away by 'just don't commit mass murder without a really good reason, okay?'. Maybe I'm not thinking about this hard enough.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #636981

Annihilite111 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:11 pm My ADHD-afflicted peabrain is straining it's limit as it is whenever i play an antag role. Having to juggle a conversation in ahelps on top of that would likely send it over the edge and see my plans tumble to the ground like bowling pins. Also, antag rolls are already RNGy enough. If i now also have to roll an admin who will agree to my gimmick, i'm effectively having to roll positive twice in a row for a fun round.
I've asked for new thief objectives twice, and had my ahelp rejected one of those times. I don't think that speaks much for the viability of tying fun, creative antag rounds to admin mandate.
You're too focused on having ideal rounds, this is the kind of stuff that causes people to burn out.

Try to go with the flow more.
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #636992

I will make it public knowledge right now that if a traitor wants to have a thematic gimmick that I will sponsor them directly.

I will even write up something if they aren't feeling imaginative, then reward them for following essentially cosmetic objectives.

And if you are on MRP and want to do these things, I will Rule 0 the whole thing and fistfight other admins in the parking lot over protecting creative freedom.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #636993

YBS wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:38 am I will make it public knowledge right now that if a traitor wants to have a thematic gimmick that I will sponsor them directly.

I will even write up something if they aren't feeling imaginative, then reward them for following essentially cosmetic objectives.

And if you are on MRP and want to do these things, I will Rule 0 the whole thing and fistfight other admins in the parking lot over protecting creative freedom.
I'm putting 20 bucks on Plapatin. Anyone else want to bet?

Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #636994

i'm confused what the problem is, just play on bagil or sybil

i'm assuming the people that play on manuel with it's strict rules WANT to be there and play that way
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #636999

fuck bro

his name is Gon Dola

we need guys like that on sybil... all his actions were based. Gon, you can run free, frolic in our green pastures, on Sybil. You don't have to live in 1984 anymore.

Come home.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #637019

YBS wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:38 am I will make it public knowledge right now that if a traitor wants to have a thematic gimmick that I will sponsor them directly.

+1 to this. If you have a gimmick, I will back it up. I might even go for turning it into an event.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #637035

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:29 pm
nianjiilical wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:21 pm to be fair if security is robust they can just flash the borgs and cut the cams and trying to stop them from harming just gets your borgs locked down and your laws changed
Hey buddy, I think you've got the wrong door. The silicon thread is two blocks down
i need to not post when sleep deprived
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #637049

The odd thing about this ban is the admin chose to, for whatever reason, mention the CE and Hates who “came at him” in the rationale.

If I am hacking into the cap office from bridge and the CE teleports into bridge, aren’t you allowed to kill the CE even under MRP rules? And if Hates “came at them,” they can kill them too right? I’m not sure why these scenarios were listed, just leave it at the two other situations where there was seemingly no reason to kill (robo and engi).
Spoiler:
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #637053

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:47 pm The odd thing about this ban is the admin chose to, for whatever reason, mention the CE and Hates who “came at him” in the rationale.

If I am hacking into the cap office from bridge and the CE teleports into bridge, aren’t you allowed to kill the CE even under MRP rules? And if Hates “came at them,” they can kill them too right? I’m not sure why these scenarios were listed, just leave it at the two other situations where there was seemingly no reason to kill (robo and engi).
Homeboy had no option here.

Also, rule 0. Mannymins be wildin.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2: