Secoff gets dunked, immediately calls for admin peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Secoff gets dunked, immediately calls for admin peanut

Post by blackdav123 » #639306

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31635

Security officer finds engineer in maint hacking open a door with nothing of value inside, tries to wordlessly baton said engineer, loses his baton and is buckled to a pipe.

Why do people think this is the way you should deal with minor offenses? This is a roleplaying game so you should at least give the slightest courtesy when arresting someone for something that matters very little like hacking into some dumbass door and ask why they are doing it before you whip out your weapons.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Alphanerdd
Byond Username: Alphanerdd

Re: Secoff gets dunked, immediately calls for admin peanut

Post by Alphanerdd » #639652

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:58 pm dude stop making paragraphs its like I wanna read short funny posts not 2 paragraph long essays.
Don't listen to him keep text dumping king
semi-regular sybil/terry/manuel background character Josh Hawkins
loathed and hated mime Translucency
professional bad take haver
jortsandshirts
Byond Username: Jortymorty

Post by jortsandshirts » #639654

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:58 pm dude stop making paragraphs its like I wanna read short funny posts not 2 paragraph long essays.
Imagine asking other people to limit their ability to communicate to suit your inability.

Do you have trouble doing puzzles by any chance? Do you find yourself picking up new hobbies and interests all the time, becoming obsessed with them only to drop them in favor of something new when the novelty subsides? Is your home full of half finished projects you've started but lost interest in seemingly very quickly? Are you sometimes so eager to reach the finish line and see the desired result of something that you speed through making error after error? Does the look of an unclean kitchen bother you but you find that the best remedy for that feeling is just to leave the room? It may be time to reach out to your primary care provider and ask them about this.

tl;dr your prefrontal cortex is dogshit and you being an immediate marshmallow eater is fucking up your life
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #639655

massa wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:37 pm
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:21 pm
massa wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:11 pm
We should never ask people to stop communicating comfortably on a public discussion forum.
Atleast make a TL;DR
AT LEAST HAVE THE DECENCY TO READ OR NOT TELL PEOPLE TO NOT TALK

ON
A
PUBLIC
DISCUSSION
FORUM
shut the fuck up
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #639656

jortsandshirts wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:05 pm
Imagine asking other people to limit their ability to communicate to suit your inability.

Do you have trouble doing puzzles by any chance? Do you find yourself picking up new hobbies and interests all the time, becoming obsessed with them only to drop them in favor of something new when the novelty subsides? Is your home full of half finished projects you've started but lost interest in seemingly very quickly? Are you sometimes so eager to reach the finish line and see the desired result of something that you speed through making error after error? Does the look of an unclean kitchen bother you but you find that the best remedy for that feeling is just to leave the room? It may be time to reach out to your primary care provider and ask them about this.

tl;dr your prefrontal cortex is dogshit and you being an immediate marshmallow eater is fucking up your life
I don't have an inability to communicate I just don't like reading paragraph-long essays(It's all I do every single fucking day so I can make money) I wanna enjoy myself when I have time off by reading short sentences on the web not paragraphs worth of content that can be described in a single sentence, all you do by elongating is make people not want to A read it or B skip over your post entirely. I only have one hobby and that's chemistry in my house(I made toothpaste if you wanna make some just get some Calciuym carbonate pure powder and some sodium Flouride Make sure to stir and add a bit of flavoring)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #639657

also add some liquid so it becomes a tootpaste consistency(Don't want powder paste)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #639658

Brevity is the soul of wit.

However, it would be wise to speak more and not miss out mentioning key details (and seem disingenuous as a result). As long as you're as factual as you can possibly be, and it's a situation where being brief could make people mis-interpret your words to take you to be a liar... indulge in them.
Last edited by san7890 on Tue May 03, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Blase
Byond Username: MacBlaze

Post by Blase » #639659

gupta is correct and I wonder if jorty was the kind of kid to always go over the maximum word count and get penalized for it after writing subpar quality content
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #639670

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:21 pm
massa wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:11 pm
We should never ask people to stop communicating comfortably on a public discussion forum.
Atleast make a TL;DR
You're almost as bad as Zyb.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #639675

While this idea might be sound in theory, I think on paper it has a few problems. If this were discord this would be especially true, but for the forums a 2 paragraph long essay is perfectly reasonable. In fact, the inadequacies of the discord is likely why a few of us are here today. The reason for this is simple, while the discord is filled with short and to-the-point posts, the forum is not. The forum is a place of higher-educated communication, even in the player's club. The only exception to this rule might be the coding forums where they speak an arcane language that I haven't yet deciphered. On Player's Club, though, we should maintain a dignified appearance as we are the rolemodels of /tg/station, and carry that reputation to other servers. Would you prefer someone on goonstation to recognize you for being the "fuck you" guy or the eloquent and professional "Kindly sir, fuck you" guy? The answer is obvious. There are a few other problems as well.

Of course, while most ideas can be simplified and spoken in just a few sentences, some concepts simply don't have that luxury. Take this one for example, this is simply a satirical post which, by design, requires it to be long to have any form of comedic reasoning. A few more complicated philosophical ideas are like this as well, for example "Schrodinger's Cat" which is often summarized with a short example similar to "If you put a cat in a box, and hooked it up to a trigger that either kills the cat, or doesn't based on an observation of a quantum wave particle, the cat is both alive and dead." This summary is valid, however it is flawed. "Schrodinger's Cat" was actually a theory made to mock Einstein's theory of quantum physics, and the idea then that the cat "was both alive and dead" at the same time was equally preposterous, even still it is often given a flawed short summary.

Now with all that being said, you do have a point in some measure. As stated in the previous paragraph, most ideas can be simplified without loss of any significant talking points. Blaise Pascal once wrote "If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter" which is likely quite accurate to the current situation as well. This line of logic, however, does not apply here. We are not here to exchange fast ideas, or logical processes we'll need to apply in day-to-day interactions, we're here for entertainment. This entertainment is not limited to your own perspective of how long a post should be, to the contrary, the longer the post the more humorous it often is. Not only should we expect long-winded text dumps, we should encourage it. Forcing yourself to read several paragraphs of long-winded statements of fact might seem boring at first, but it is known fact that forcing yourself to read can only increase your intelligence.

This idea that you can increase your intelligence by reading is an old one, and is quite accurate. As you can see in this study: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sci ... ookieSet=1 it was very effective in retraining grown adults and, as the summary states: "Enhanced functional selectivity to print emerges in parts of the visual system, that is, the bilateral occipital cortices." However, perhaps you might question the use of this study on an online forum rather than a book, but I contend that this is no different from an ebook. This study "https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/20 ... reading-5/" suggests that even if you start with ebooks, you'll probably also end up reading printed books as well. This is effective proof that reading can only benefit you, therefor by not reading you are only depriving yourself of some useful set of skills you might be able to use.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #639679

Like I said I read in my freetime and to make money, I cannot be bothered on a forum to read a whole damn essay.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #639690

wubli wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:56 pm look at this shit. i even deleted some brick monologuing but this is the extent of their communication. zybwivcz has like less than ten say logs all round
[2022-05-01 02:57:47.012] SAY: Scriptis/(Brick Mortar) "Kolton" (Lesser Aft Maintenance (120,77,2))
[2022-05-01 02:57:49.137] SAY: Scriptis/(Brick Mortar) "you can come out any time" (Lesser Aft Maintenance (120,77,2))
[2022-05-01 02:57:53.796] SAY: Scriptis/(Brick Mortar) "all you have to do is use your words" (Lesser Aft Maintenance (120,77,2))
This really can't be understated how much this is just straight up comedy gold. I've seen this so often. On both sides of the baton. People just don't talk probably because 'talking makes you vulnerable'. I can get not talking during action, but once the actions done, you can talk at that point. And I think you're showing some respect if you try to talk first rather than jump to action unless you have reason to do so.

I think this kind of behaviour is maybe the best highlight of how to apply the new rule 12. This kind of mindset needs to get rolled out the door. And I do mean it just as much for the enjoyment of the player as much as the health of the game. Getting stuck thinking you gotta robust everyone silently is gonna burn you out like nothing else.

Edit: Thinking about this, I swear I've said this exact phrase so often when someone like, rapid points at something or just silently attempts to break in somewhere while I'm right there and wouldn't say no to whatever their request is. I'm not even going to necessarily stop them at that point. I wanna say it's because most of these people assume others will just say 'no', but choosing to open yourself to departmental retaliation as the alternative by breaking into somewhere is maybe equally an attempt at starting shit for the sake of starting shit with people who don't know better. I think it stems from a similar place as this guy wanting to robust all antegs. Singleplayer focused to the detriment of everyone else, with the pretense that other players are merely a nuisance best cut through directly than have to deal with.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #639707

the thread has been mothblocksified. it is done.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #639786

sorry to doublepost but
policy literally got changed against him
i'm laughing my ass off over here, fuck that guy.