Seth Deces And the Concept of Law 1 Human Harm

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Seth Deces And the Concept of Law 1 Human Harm

Post by Archie700 » #643647

Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Seth Deces And the Concept of Law 1 Human Harm

Post by oranges » #643648

can you post an opinion so I know what to argue about.
XII3912
Byond Username: EMX55

Post by XII3912 » #643649

Ah seth he ain't a bad guy but he thinks differently he'll learn from this though
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #643650

if you didnt kill a borg for trying to heal someone and just flashed them you would have gotten off better

Dont we have a rule like this but for security. No murdering in self defense for valid arrests?
► Show Spoiler
XII3912
Byond Username: EMX55

Post by XII3912 » #643653

Shadowflame909 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:57 am if you didnt kill a borg for trying to heal someone and just flashed them you would have gotten off better

they'd just come back and annoy you i don't think you can use this as a solution against borgs 100% of the time or he may not have had a flash which is likely
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #643655

oranges wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:54 am can you post an opinion so I know what to argue about.
killing borg bad
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #643656

i agree because you can lock them down or pop their battery out and they are basically rendered irrelevant.
CandyClown
Byond Username: CandyClown

Post by CandyClown » #643698

Borgs are sweet and innocent and must be protected at all costs. Rule 0 anyone who would dare lay a finger on them.

But on a serious note, you can't kill a borg for taking an action it's compelled to take. Security and Asimov policy makes that clear. It doesn't matter how easy it is for a borg to be revived.
Security Policy & Precedents wrote:4. Don’t kill Asimov borgs for trying to stop harm, unless they are being excessively disruptive.
Asimov-Specific Policies wrote:1.4. As a non-antagonist (human or otherwise), [do not instigate] conflict with silicons so you can kill them.
CoffeeDragon16
Byond Username: CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #643724

dudes writing it like a middle school essay with a rubric
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #643725

killing borg good actually excuse you
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #643781

I think it's arguable if a player refuses treatment for bleeding or starts harming the Borg trying to save him that those actions could be arguably self harm
Refusing treatment for bleeding is arguable self harm because the human, by their own initiative, has chosen to bleed instead of being treated.

Harming the Borg trying to save him is not.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #643791

Archie700 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:09 am
I think it's arguable if a player refuses treatment for bleeding or starts harming the Borg trying to save him that those actions could be arguably self harm
Refusing treatment for bleeding is arguable self harm because the human, by their own initiative, has chosen to bleed instead of being treated.

True but somebody was saying something like a medical borg ought to sacrifice itself in such cases or get a banhammer and that's not the kind of silicon policy I want to see. Or maybe my reading comprehension was mistaken.
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #643798

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:29 am

True but somebody was saying something like a medical borg ought to sacrifice itself in such cases or get a banhammer and that's not the kind of silicon policy I want to see. Or maybe my reading comprehension was mistaken.
That is the unfortunate consequence of a combination of preventing human harm over self-preservation being hard-coded into Asimov and having to deal with an asshole that hates you for existing
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #643801

Archie700 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:04 am

That is the unfortunate consequence of a combination of preventing human harm over self-preservation being hard-coded into Asimov and having to deal with an asshole that hates you for existing
If the human law 2s you to hold still then you have to sit and die.
If you're law 1 required to help a bleeding out human who starts attacking you, then the human doesn't want help because it is destroying its help, and it is therefore self harm which is not covered by law 1.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #643806

My intention wasn't so much that they HAVE to, but that Silicon Policy is such a fucking mess, and that people hate them just for doing their jobs, that it's one hell of a grey area. They could probably get away with walking away in this particular case, but a lot probably wouldn't want to chance it. And if a Human is bleeding to death, and another human is attacking them, then it's just a massive shitshow.

It's extremely stressful for them, and my point was mostly to convey all of those conflicting things they have to think about and make the best decision they can, and probably get yelled at by admins if they fuck it up, and that this complete and utter "Borg players are beneath" me attitude falls pretty heavy into Rule 1 territory because of the kicking someone while they're down effect.

(Arguably it's Rule 12, too, as separating them and healing him was supposedly "compromising my entire shit" meaning Seth wanted nothing more than to just unga unga unga kill valid, at the expense of other peoples' rounds (the borgo's, from the report all that dude had done was water vapour the halls...)
mstachife
Byond Username: Mstachife

Post by mstachife » #643810

Borgs following their laws don't stop them from being criminals
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #643811

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:15 am If the human law 2s you to hold still then you have to sit and die.
You clearly dont know the server rules....
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #643821

Yeah well when has that ever stopped people from opining.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #643823

I will kill any borg that interrupts what I am doing or intervenes

lmao seth's cope logic though
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
technokek

Post by technokek » #643829

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:07 pm Yeah well when has that ever stopped people from opining.
and yet you are banned and i am not
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #643830

technokek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:35 pm
dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:07 pm Yeah well when has that ever stopped people from opining.
and yet you are banned and i am not
That ain't me brother
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #643838

i was the borg in this situation

first: three days, eh, should've been a dayban at most. but i don't know seth's note history so w/e
second: this motherfucker was about to die. i can't stress that enough. he was fighting a guy with a butcher's cleaver with a pocket crowbar. it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he was going to lose (and he did). i bailed his ass out
third: "borgs are easy to revive" is such a copout. you were also easy to revive. you weren't revived because the medbay staff were incompetent. the roboticists are incompetent even more often (source: i play borg)

otherwise i feel that stereo adequately covered my point of view and i've been given my justice for borg bullying

#borgsagainstbullying
Spoiler:

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #643840

Seth is pretty much completely right we just aren't ready for it yet.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #643847

Scriptis wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:44 pm third: "borgs are easy to revive" is such a copout. you were also easy to revive. you weren't revived because the medbay staff were incompetent. the roboticists are incompetent even more often (source: i play borg)
God as a Roboticist player, I am always in AWE when I watch other people play it. I've been an active posibrain sitting on the floor for a full 20 minutes, just being ignored by the Roboticist while he built himself a Durand.

(A Durand does not take 20 minutes to build. And I'm normally forgiving of New Players, but the types of Roboticists who think that only ONE part of their job is actually their job, and usually that's "me build mechs" is unbelievably frustratingly common)
technokek

Post by technokek » #643854

Scriptis wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:44 pm i was the borg in this situation

first: three days, eh, should've been a dayban at most. but i don't know seth's note history so w/e
second: this motherfucker was about to die. i can't stress that enough. he was fighting a guy with a butcher's cleaver with a pocket crowbar. it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he was going to lose (and he did). i bailed his ass out
third: "borgs are easy to revive" is such a copout. you were also easy to revive. you weren't revived because the medbay staff were incompetent. the roboticists are incompetent even more often (source: i play borg)

otherwise i feel that stereo adequately covered my point of view and i've been given my justice for borg bullying

#borgsagainstbullying
so many bans revolve around you. I am going to report you for ban baiting.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #643872

Scriptis wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:44 pm third: "borgs are easy to revive" is such a copout. you were also easy to revive. you weren't revived because the medbay staff were incompetent. the roboticists are incompetent even more often (source: i play borg)
Truth levels beyond comprehension

What's even worse is that for some reason, it's unbelievably hard to get people to bring a fucking borg back to robotics for revival at all, sometimes. They just get left and ignored a lot.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #643879

This is precisely the attitude that shouldn't be encouraged in the server against borgs, and which is why a lot of people get burnt or start hating playing as one. Even if you're security or the captain, you shouldn't be killing a borg if they see human harm and are just trying to follow their laws by obstructing you. There needs to be some good faith comprehension about these interactions.

I think this ban will prove to be beneficial once headmins step in to clarify and leave precedent about it.

Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #643886

From his line of thinking, Hoolny might possibly be a sociopath
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #643897

Borgs arent above the law. If you interfere in security matters, I can, have, and WILL arrest a borg, or even the AI. I've thrown carded AIs into cells before, and I will do it again for interfering in security matters. Security's job is to uphold our laws, not the borgs laws, especially when you consider that no one besides the borg can truly know what laws they have, considering subversion/hidden laws. Treat them like any other member of the crew, and make common sense decisions based around whether they had any freedom in their actions.

That being said, I think killing the borg in this particular case was uncalled for, and killing borgs in general should be a last resort. Your first option should be to give it an order, then locking it down, removing it's cell, temporarily disabling it with a flash or an ion rifle, changing it's laws, there's like a billion other ways to handle a borg that don't involve killing it. And in this particular case, it was just trying to save a human's life while they were bleeding out. If someone is bleeding out - just fucking detain/arrest them at that point! You don't have to murder them! The borg was acting reasonably to save someone's life, and this was a case that looks like they were acting out of angry bloodlust validhunting.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #643904

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:57 amI've thrown carded AIs into cells before, and I will do it again for interfering in security matters.
Yeah but that's really funny whereas what our boi here did was boring and obnoxious.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #643906

It feels like an appeal written by a real SS13 character
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #643907

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:57 am Borgs arent above the law. If you interfere in security matters, I can, have, and WILL arrest a borg, or even the AI. I've thrown carded AIs into cells before, and I will do it again for interfering in security matters. Security's job is to uphold our laws, not the borgs laws, especially when you consider that no one besides the borg can truly know what laws they have, considering subversion/hidden laws. Treat them like any other member of the crew, and make common sense decisions based around whether they had any freedom in their actions.

That being said, I think killing the borg in this particular case was uncalled for, and killing borgs in general should be a last resort. Your first option should be to give it an order, then locking it down, removing it's cell, temporarily disabling it with a flash or an ion rifle, changing it's laws, there's like a billion other ways to handle a borg that don't involve killing it. And in this particular case, it was just trying to save a human's life while they were bleeding out. If someone is bleeding out - just fucking detain/arrest them at that point! You don't have to murder them! The borg was acting reasonably to save someone's life, and this was a case that looks like they were acting out of angry bloodlust validhunting.
Yes.

Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #643941

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:27 am It feels like an appeal written by a real SS13 character
A real ss13 greytider argues human supremacy as why he can kill vital station equipment for attempting to save a human's life, the story.

That borg is a hero borg. Nothing can convince me otherwise.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #643944

This is why I think servers that include non-humans in Asimov are nuts. Borgs need at least sometimes a possible out.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #643950

Honestly how hard is it to drag a prisoner into maint and beat them to death there.

There are some borg players who are martyr's but if you can't reign in your public bloodlust don't be surprised when the silicons intervene.